30 Years of Army of Darkness

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Today is the 30th anniversary of Army of Darkness!

army-of-darkness-52bdf2033a63e.jpg

Wow, I feel old.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Today is the 30th anniversary of Army of Darkness!

army-of-darkness-52bdf2033a63e.jpg

Wow, I feel old.
I was 20 when it was released. I went to my local BLOCKBUSTERS video rental store, rented it out, snuck back in and stole the double sided sleeve display box that was still being displayed on the shelves then bullshitted them that I'd lost the actual tape. I can't remember exactly how much I had to pay in a fine but it was over £60. I rarely have a spare £60 these days so I've no memory of how I was able to afford it but I still own my ex rental complete AOD VHS today.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
It all started with Evil Dead 2 for me in 1995, and it was 28 years ago and 2 years after Army of Darkness was released when a friend rented it at a video rental store (for his birthday) after his mom signed a piece of paper saying it was ok for him to rent movies up to an R rating.... but now I can't help thinking about that night taking place nearly 30 years ago itself. We also saw Escape from L.A. in theater for another birthday he had when she bought us all tickets. Bruce would eventually pop up in everything from the Evil Dead trilogy to Xena, and I'm waiting for him to haunt my dreams like everything else.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
This was my gateway movie into the Evil Dead-verse, still my fave!

Reactions: DyD

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
I could be wrong but I don't think Army of Darkness received a theatrical release in the UK? .. not as a brand new film anyway.

I could have/should have seen Evil Dead 2 on it's opening week in England.

Me and my best mate were in the que at our local cinema, extremely excited to see if (we'd recorded The Incredibly Film Show on Channel 4, the Sam Raimi episode and watched and read stuff about the film already). We were both underage to be admitted (it was an 18 certificate here) but the cinema was pretty slack, they didn't really care as much in the 80's so I'd often been able to bullshit us in before.

At the last moment, my mate decided he wanted to be the one to bullshit us in this time .. kind of a rite of passage thing so I'd agreed. We were 13 years old.

The disinterested ticket selling woman said to him:

"Are you 18?." .. all he had to do was lie, say yes and we would have got in ..

"Err .. we're 16 and a half."

"Sorry. This film is for 18 or older."

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So we went to see the 15 certificate The Gate instead, another horror film which, to be fair, was pretty good. I was still pretty pissed off with my mate but I kept my mouth shut. Me and him did eventually go to a cinema double bill of The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 a few years later in Tamworth, this was before Army of Darkness had been released. I've still got a few flyers from that night and mailed one to Tom Sullivan years later after I'd joined this site.

Reactions: DyD
Top Bottom