Ash Vs Evil Dead: 02 04 DUI Discussion [SPOILERS]

This has been a big couple of days for people who enjoy their tv shows, and I finally got a chance to tune in to episode 4. I like where they are going with Kelly still being a bad ass in training, but like most I'm still trying to figure Ruby out. I'm a big fan of Lucy, and she is a great actor... but now that Ruby's kids are gone I can't help wondering what is next for her. Especially is Baal has possession of the Necronomicon, or it made it possible for his return assuming what came out of the trunk was him. Now one of the big highlights of this one for me was seeing Chet and Ash working together which was pretty awesome to see, and I still think Ted is a great actor when given good material which is likely why people weren't big fans of Joxer because when he is more of himself greatness occurs. I also want to say I like the talking Necronomicon, but just wasn't a big fan of seeing The Classic bucking like a bull with hydraulics. It was a bit too much for me to get into some of the car stuff aside from when Lacey and Pablo were inside, and I like Lacey a lot with her ability to be physical like when bashing her head on the dash and/or window.
 
First, I'd like to say that I'm new to this thread, and look forward to checking in all season.

I have been a big fan of Evil Dead for a long while. First time I saw the first movie, it scared the shit out of me (I had an older brother who showed me when I was a kid). This show has turned out to be my favorite thing about Evil Dead so far. It's great to get to see Ash do what he does best, and Bruce's performance in this show is classic. We are certainly lucky to have this show. The plot is ridiculous and inconsistent, just like the original films, so to look too deeply into the plot could be a fatal mistake towards the enjoyment of the show. (I say that with all due respect to any of the show's criticisms.)

That being said, this story is extremely fun and funny, and I look forward to each episode as they really keep pushing the story into new directions. It's not tiring in any way, and I'd hardly use the term "boring".

This episode shows that Ivan Raimi writes amazing Evil Dead scripts. As always, I look forward to the next episode.

Before I post anything more specific, can anyone tell me how to mark my spoilers? Cause, I see most people have like a spoiler that appears if you click on it, and I don't know how to do that.
 
Welcome aboard Groovy83. I think the only way you can insert a spoiler tag is by clicking on the preview post thing at the bottom of the reply area, and going to the insert option toward the end of the list... and then you can add the spoiler tag for upcoming episodes/general discussion thread.
 
Groovy83 said:
First, I'd like to say that I'm new to this thread, and look forward to checking in all season.

I have been a big fan of Evil Dead for a long while. First time I saw the first movie, it scared the shit out of me (I had an older brother who showed me when I was a kid). This show has turned out to be my favorite thing about Evil Dead so far. It's great to get to see Ash do what he does best, and Bruce's performance in this show is classic. We are certainly lucky to have this show. The plot is ridiculous and inconsistent, just like the original films, so to look too deeply into the plot could be a fatal mistake towards the enjoyment of the show. (I say that with all due respect to any of the show's criticisms.)

That being said, this story is extremely fun and funny, and I look forward to each episode as they really keep pushing the story into new directions. It's not tiring in any way, and I'd hardly use the term "boring".

This episode shows that Ivan Raimi writes amazing Evil Dead scripts. As always, I look forward to the next episode.

Before I post anything more specific, can anyone tell me how to mark my spoilers? Cause, I see most people have like a spoiler that appears if you click on it, and I don't know how to do that.

There's a button when your typing out your post named "Insert..." you click that and it should bring you to the spoiler tag and it will insert a spoiler tag for ya,  but here's the command with out having to do all that.

[ /spoiler] (don't forget to take out that space or it won't work)

you just type that in and put whatever you wanna write in between that command and it should work !

and welcome to the fourms !
 
Groovy83 said:
First, I'd like to say that I'm new to this thread, and look forward to checking in all season.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you enjoy the show and though some of us are more harsh on it than others, we're all still one respectful and open minded community in here. :)
 
Nick and Joe are both correct, that's how you can insert your spoilers! Welcome to the board, Groovy83.

I'll be back later. I'm stuck in the busy season RE work and all of my leisure time is slowly ebbing away.
 
And now it's time for my thoughts.

The Good: 

* Ash's characterization.  Remember my complaint about how everyone just plain doesn't get Ash right?  Leave it to Ivan Raimi - who apparently works better solo - to rein him in.  That just plain IS Ash - concerned about the people he cares, overwhelmed and almost accidentally awesome.  THAT should be his dynamic with Chet - less cheerfully descending down the k-hole, more pulling him back from the abyss.  Chet's childlike hurt that Ash was shutting him out and the realization that Ash is doing it to protect him - as little as he CAN do to protect him - was resonant.  

* Bruce + Ted + Ivan = Comedy gold.  The rhythms of the dialogue were stunning.  I wonder how much of it was improved by improv.

* The general effects were fine but the lighting was freaking amazing.  Kudos to Michael J. Bassett, who always gets the atmosphere right at least visually for the show.

* The stuntwork.  Again, kudos to Bruce.

* Pablo is moving forward in his own right and remains sympathetic.  

* The jump scare was good enough to get me twice.


The Eh:

* I'm willing to give them a pass on the whole why-did-Pablo-trust the book think because his previous experience with the book is limited.  This is perhaps Ruby's fault for playing games with him instead of being honest.  He should know better but the benefit of the doubt is his for now.

* Everything with Ruby's storyline at least continues to move apace; I really like her team-up with Kelly, but I also feel the kid-related storyline was busy work just to keep Lucy on canvas while they cleared the deck for Baal.  

* I need to see Pepi Sonuga do something other than scream.  When she's not, she and Pablo have interesting chemistry.  But I need to know more about her in order to care about her.

* Brock as Ash's Obi Wan might take some getting used to, but it's not the worst idea the show's had.  But those effects.  Yikes.  

The Bad:

* That talking Necronomicon.  Awful effect, awful choice, and the comics already did it (yes that pains me to say about an Ivan Raimi episode).

* Here's the thing about using lots of practical fire effects; when you DON'T, it's easy for the human eye to notice what you're using is digital.  Some of those fire effects and some of the stuff on the Classic were noticeably eye-boggling

* Why does Ruby care so much about her children anyway?  She sent them forth to die against Ash, for heaven's sake!

* The editing RE continuity with Ted's character was pretty awful. The car gaffe mentioned above combined with the fact that he totally disappears during the the car duel in spite of his 'let's hunt Deadites!' enthusing was weird.

* To be honest, it was hard to tell the book was manipulating Pablo versus what happened to him just turning out to be another Nec hallucination.


RE that clip

Man, they really are playing kick the puppy with Pablo this season.
 
Absolutely one of the best episodes of the show, even if it was really just an action episode. The atmosphere, as all have said, was damned ACES. Can Michael Basset just direct every episode?

Speaking of that action; it was intense, thrilling and well, groovy. The possessed Delta was a great idea and it was truly menacing, which nothing else in the show has been for me, so far.

Ivan needs to be the story editor. He knows how to lend Bruce some humor without undercutting Ash as a character. Ivan could corral all of the other writers and give all of us who feel the show is lacking the series as we think it should be. Yeah, Brock appearing in a pink cloud was silly, but it was the kind of silly I can accept.

Hope the show keeps on this upswing.
 
Ivan should definitely be in charge of the writer's room, IMO.
 
I would be happy to see Ivan take a bigger roll in the show, and Sam to do something at least once a season. I'm not sure what he has going on now, but that would be really cool to see.
 
Everybody seems to praise a lot Ivan Raimi's work.  I can't deny he actually do a great job on the show...But he wrote the least interesting episodes so far.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of his work.  I don't know, but I just think they should also bring back Scott Spiegel to the project.
 
Sutter Cane said:
Everybody seems to praise a lot Ivan Raimi's work.  I can't deny he actually do a great job on the show...But he wrote the least interesting episodes so far.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of his work.  I don't know, but I just think they should also bring back Scott Spiegel to the project.

There if a difference between setting up what will happen in an episode and actually writing it. If the episode overall seemed uninteresting to you, that may be because it was the showrunner / the writing staff who decided what needs to happen here. But if you liked the characterisation and the dialogues, I think you like Ivan's work just fine. Of course, this is just a speculation. We can't ever know for sure who came up with which aspects of each episode.

Aside from more involvement from Sam, I would love nothing more than see Scott Spiegel writing some episodes and/or having a say in the overall story. Does anybody know if he even was approached, or why isn't he working on the show?
 
Hurley said:
Aside from more involvement from Sam, I would love nothing more than see Scott Spiegel writing some episodes and/or having a say in the overall story. Does anybody know if he even was approached, or why isn't he working on the show?

ED2 is my favourite entry in the series. Scott co-wrote it. So I would love it to see him return to the franchise.
 
Scott guest writing would be pretty great. Especially if Sam was actually involved with the series in any way other than them putting his name in the credits multiple times (his lack of actual involvement is possibly a reason for Scott not being approached, also Scott's been busy with the Dark Ascension movies)
Scott knows Evil Dead and from interviews/commentaries he still seems to love the franchise and is still invested in it.
 
Sutter Cane said:
Everybody seems to praise a lot Ivan Raimi's work.  I can't deny he actually do a great job on the show...But he wrote the least interesting episodes so far.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of his work.  I don't know, but I just think they should also bring back Scott Spiegel to the project.

To be fair, I didn't like Ivan's season one work.  Maybe it was just a relief to see an Ash that feels human after all of the pink fuck/mechanical bull crap.

I wonder why they haven't enlisted Scott - I know he keeps pretty busy producing stuff mostly, from what I can remember, but he and Bruce just did a thing together last year.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Sutter Cane said:
Everybody seems to praise a lot Ivan Raimi's work.  I can't deny he actually do a great job on the show...But he wrote the least interesting episodes so far.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of his work.  I don't know, but I just think they should also bring back Scott Spiegel to the project.

To be fair, I didn't like Ivan's season one work.  Maybe it was just a relief to see an Ash that feels human after all of the pink fuck/mechanical bull crap.

I wonder why they haven't enlisted Scott - I know he keeps pretty busy producing stuff mostly, from what I can remember, but he and Bruce just did a thing together last year.

To be honest, Ivan's best works are Drag me to hell and Darkman.  Army of Darkness and Spiderman 3 are kind of disappointing if you compare them to the 2 first movies.  He writes great dialogs between characters, but I just think he's not a good story teller...or maybe he's there to save weak episodes...I don't know what to think.  I always expect a hit of miss when I see his name in the credits. 

I agree, the pink/fuck and the mechanical bull crap was not good at all.  They should have drop the idea.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
To be fair, I didn't like Ivan's season one work.  Maybe it was just a relief to see an Ash that feels human after all of the pink fuck/mechanical bull crap.

Aside from the pilot, the only episode from season one Ivan has writing credits for is Fire in the Hole, which also has two other writers attached to it. And since this episode is in my opinion the worst from the series BY FAR and you can see even from the behind the scenes video that Craig didn't know what the fuck they were doing, I think everything in this episode was just falling apart and so multiple people tried to take a crack at the script as they went along.

(again, only a speculation, but I think the TBS video - which is sadly now also deleted from YouTube - is very self-explanatory)
 
AfterTheDiner has posted up it's preview for ep 5 with 3 new clips. 

http://aftermoviediner.com/feed/news/press-release/pictures/ash-vs-evil-dead/0205/confinement

Oh goddamit ash :rolleyes: , i have to say i'm loving the chemistry between hurd and bruce ! 

And that second clip is probably my favorite out of the bunch really curious to see where the rest of this season is going to take pablo...
 
Sutter Cane said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Sutter Cane said:
Everybody seems to praise a lot Ivan Raimi's work.  I can't deny he actually do a great job on the show...But he wrote the least interesting episodes so far.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of his work.  I don't know, but I just think they should also bring back Scott Spiegel to the project.

To be fair, I didn't like Ivan's season one work.  Maybe it was just a relief to see an Ash that feels human after all of the pink fuck/mechanical bull crap.

I wonder why they haven't enlisted Scott - I know he keeps pretty busy producing stuff mostly, from what I can remember, but he and Bruce just did a thing together last year.

To be honest, Ivan's best works are Drag me to hell and Darkman.  Army of Darkness and Spiderman 3 are kind of disappointing if you compare them to the 2 first movies.  He writes great dialogs between characters, but I just think he's not a good story teller...or maybe he's there to save weak episodes...I don't know what to think.  I always expect a hit of miss when I see his name in the credits. 

I agree, the pink/fuck and the mechanical bull crap was not good at all.  They should have drop the idea.

For me, it'll always be AOD, but I agree that Darkman - thematically, visually and creatively - is pretty damn amazing.

Hurley said:
MaidOfKandar said:
To be fair, I didn't like Ivan's season one work.  Maybe it was just a relief to see an Ash that feels human after all of the pink fuck/mechanical bull crap.

Aside from the pilot, the only episode from season one Ivan has writing credits for is Fire in the Hole, which also has two other writers attached to it. And since this episode is in my opinion the worst from the series BY FAR and you can see even from the behind the scenes video that Craig didn't know what the fuck they were doing, I think everything in this episode was just falling apart and so multiple people tried to take a crack at the script as they went along.

(again, only a speculation, but I think the TBS video - which is sadly now also deleted from YouTube - is very self-explanatory)

Fire in the Hole is what I was thinking of; no one seemed to have any idea what the hell was going on in that one.  I think the youtube videos were deleted so they could make proper money off the extras on DVDs!
 
Top Bottom