Ash Vs. Evil Dead continuity issues (SPOILERS)

Ash Williams Forever

S-Mart Clerk
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
My main concern is how it fits with the AoD ending.  Ash tells Ted Raimi's character at S-Mart at the end about his adventure, yet he told Pablo he never told anyone about what he experienced.  Maybe he left out the info about the cabin and ED1-2 events to him?  Then there's the deadite showing up at S-Mart afterwards, and Ash takes it down, yet no one seems to know of it in the show.  Maybe the people though the girl was on drugs?  Also, previous movie-sequels have retconned some events from their previous movies, so perhaps the new AoD-recton for the show is Ash dreamed both things while taking a nap at work?  


Also, I heard online, from someone using twitter I think, that it was said that ValueStop bought out S-Mart in the 90's sometime.
 
In the leaked script for the pilot, Ash doesn't release the deadites again by reading from the book after smoking pot. In that early draft of the script, the deadites never actually went away. They keep showing up throughout the years after the events in the cabin, kinda like a seasonal thing. I actually like that better and I have no idea why they decided to change it. It works a lot better than what they decided to go with.

Now, concerning the point of Ash saying he never told anyone about his story, I have two possible explanations. First, he could simply be lying to Pablo for effect. Ash seems like the kind of person who would keep telling that story to everyone who would hear it and always start it with "I've never told anyone about this before...". Now, my second possible explanation is the one I like the best: If you take a closer look at the films, Evil Dead 2's ending is just a streamlined, abridged version of what's gonna happen in AoD. AoD takes the final scene from ED2 and expands on it, adding new things to get an entire plot out of that basic idea. In some ways, we could look at AvED in its entirety as just an expanded, more detailed version of AoD's theatrical ending. Just replace Ted Raimi's character with Pablo and there you have it. AvED is actually meant to replace the last scene from AoD. That actually seems pretty in keeping with the way the movies picked up one after the other so far.
 
Sounds good.  Thanks. :)

Any idea about the ValueStop buy-out thing I mentioned?  And how, in the show pilot, did the Necronomicon have notebook paper taped to it's pages, translating the passages?
 
The Value Stop thing was probably because they couldn't use the S-Mart name due to the rights issues. So they just changed the name. I guess it's easy to assume that at some point over those 30 years Ash lost his job at the S-Mart and got a new one at the Value Stop, since being a stock boy is the only thing he has any experience in doing other than killing deadites. Or maybe the S-Mart went out of business. Of all the plot holes and inconsistencies in AvED that's actually a pretty minor one that I feel doesn't really need to be explained. It has very little effect on the actual storyline. I don't remember where the buy-out explanation came from, but it's probably just speculation. Even if that's the explanation intended by the creators, they couldn't confirm it on the actual show because they can't mention the S-Mart name. But that explanation works for me just fine.

About the notebook pages taped to the Necronomicon, I just assumed Prof. Knowby is the one who placed them there when he first started translating the book.
 
Bruce said it was bought out when someone asked him if S-mart was not used in case of right issues.

I don't think he was being serious, mind you.

There was a strong suggestion in the pilot that he tends to move on periodically anyway.
 
AOD technically doesn't exist in this universe, though they're trying very hard to write around it.  Bruce has been consistent that the S-Mart got bought out by Value Stop ("Have a valuable day!"), though if we're going linear continuity here judging by the 
Road map in the fourth episode it was bought out fairly quickly after the end of AOD.
 
Top Bottom