Ash vs Evil Dead S02 E07: Delusion Discussion [SPOILERS]

Anyone else happy to see Chet show up again in this week's episode? Granted, it was only a few seconds, but I liked this character enough to be totally bummed when he got killed last week... still hoping he shows up again as a Deadite!
 
Ashenwraith said:
Bubba Ho-Tep doesn't have any effects for the most part until the end when the crappy CGI comes in. That's why it's so good. Bruce isn't trying to screw every girl in it and is actually trying to act.

Camera angles, editing, set production, lighting, and breaking the TV are not superfluous effects: I'm talking about his hand going through the wall, the doctor changing into Baal, the Asylum turning into a sinking ship, the puppet talking by itself and eating faces, etc.

Kelly's lines let me know, "This is a TV Show not a horror movie."

If instead of Kelly they just had some random girl in there being crazy and busting her fingers up it would have been horror. They ruined it.

The funny thing is Bubba had more than its fair share of the "crude" comedy you seem to hate with his reaction to Callie, dick jokes, etc... but this thread is not about that movie. The hand through the wall grab with whatever was on the other side being all slimy was reminiscent of Ruby's creepy kids, and again it all lends itself to the story that is being told in this episode. I just find all of your gripes here to be a bit nit picky for my tastes. I also get the impression that no matter what goes down you will never be a fan of Kelly, and disagree with you assertion that it could have any other horror show if they put anyone in her place because it is all going on in Ash's head. It will be interesting to see what he is going through in reality as while talking to Linda we see Kelly, Pablo, and Ruby arriving at the asylum before going to the trunk which makes you wonder why for a number of reasons.
 
E Tu Cheryl? said:
Anyone else happy to see Chet show up again in this week's episode? Granted, it was only a few seconds, but I liked this character enough to be totally bummed when he got killed last week... still hoping he shows up again as a Deadite!

Chet popping up again was a major shock to me, and a welcome one for this episode... and I really think a Deadite version of Chet would be highly entertaining.
 
E Tu Cheryl? said:
Anyone else happy to see Chet show up again in this week's episode? Granted, it was only a few seconds, but I liked this character enough to be totally bummed when he got killed last week... still hoping he shows up again as a Deadite!

The more I think about it, the more I really wish they'd used Ted's talent for what it's worth.  It was nice to see him for a second, if only as a delusion.

And I have a feeling he'll be showing up down the line - not cutlining because this isn't concrete!

Nick el Ass said:
Ashenwraith said:
Bubba Ho-Tep doesn't have any effects for the most part until the end when the crappy CGI comes in. That's why it's so good. Bruce isn't trying to screw every girl in it and is actually trying to act.

Camera angles, editing, set production, lighting, and breaking the TV are not superfluous effects: I'm talking about his hand going through the wall, the doctor changing into Baal, the Asylum turning into a sinking ship, the puppet talking by itself and eating faces, etc.

Kelly's lines let me know, "This is a TV Show not a horror movie."

If instead of Kelly they just had some random girl in there being crazy and busting her fingers up it would have been horror. They ruined it.

The funny thing is Bubba had more than its fair share of the "crude" comedy you seem to hate with his reaction to Callie, dick jokes, etc... but this thread is not about that movie. The hand through the wall grab with whatever was on the other side being all slimy was reminiscent of Ruby's creepy kids, and again it all lends itself to the story that is being told in this episode. I just find all of your gripes here to be a bit nit picky for my tastes. I also get the impression that no matter what goes down you will never be a fan of Kelly, and disagree with you assertion that it could have any other horror show if they put anyone in her place because it is all going on in Ash's head. It will be interesting to see what he is going through in reality as while talking to Linda we see Kelly, Pablo, and Ruby arriving at the asylum before going to the trunk which makes you wonder why for a number of reasons.

Yep.  There's a huge plot point in BHT about Elvis dying of penile cancer that's hugely unavoidable and he conquers his malaise when he finally gets a boner.  

@ eViL DeAdiTe - I've always said that Bruce is amazing with the right set of circumstances behind him. He had some good stuff in Burn Notice and in stuff like Running Time, The X-Files and BHT shows his talent and range.  Like you said: he possesses it, he just often gets cast to type.

And they're probably never going to go over 38/45 minutes once a season.  I think this is because a half hour means bigger profits,  but it also means less wear and tear on Bruce.  With the ratings being what they are right now it's unlikely that they're going to get expanded episodes at this point.  IDK if they're going to tighten the budget next season but the diminishing returns for this one suggests they won't expand it.

@DyD - They could actually make it a character that has a brain of it own - they tried that in the comic but even there it came off MacGuffiny.

@Ashenwraith - That's actually a huge plothole.  If the spell summons Baal and he wants the book because it gives Team Ash the power to banish him, how does he not have a similar spell to banish Ruby?  If he co-wrote that thing how did she get the drop on him?  Why not work to eliminate Ruby before eliminating the book?  That ties back into the WTH-was-Ruby-Thinking-With-Her-Creepy-Kids plot hole tho.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
The more I think about it, the more I really wish they'd used Ted's talent for what it's worth.  It was nice to see him for a second, if only as a delusion.

And I have a feeling he'll be showing up down the line - not cutlining because this isn't concrete!



I agree, Ted is definitely underrated, and even though its probably not the most demanding role for him to play Chet, there's a few spots where his acting talent really stands out, first scene to come to mind is the bar where he talks about his stories from Desert Storm. It seemed to me like it was meant to be just a dark joke, but there was something very touching in the way he played it, you could see the pain that Chet is dealing with (or rather not dealing with) and it truly humanized the character more than just being Ash's fucked up, party animal friend from high school. Hopefully, if he doesn't show up again this season there will be another role for him in season 3!
 
E Tu Cheryl? said:
MaidOfKandar said:
The more I think about it, the more I really wish they'd used Ted's talent for what it's worth.  It was nice to see him for a second, if only as a delusion.

And I have a feeling he'll be showing up down the line - not cutlining because this isn't concrete!



I agree, Ted is definitely underrated, and even though its probably not the most demanding role for him to play Chet, there's a few spots where his acting talent really stands out, first scene to come to mind is the bar where he talks about his stories from Desert Storm. It seemed to me like it was meant to be just a dark joke, but there was something very touching in the way he played it, you could see the pain that Chet is dealing with (or rather not dealing with) and it truly humanized the character more than just being Ash's fucked up, party animal friend from high school. Hopefully, if he doesn't show up again this season there will be another role for him in season 3!

That's my hope, since the gang has a fondness for using Ted in multiple roles in a single production!


ETA: the episode was written by Hank Chilton, whom I haven't heard of before.
 
Top Bottom