Ash vs Evil Dead S03E06: Tales from the Rift Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Welcome to this week's Ash vs Evil Dead episode discussion thread! Some additional ground rules to the basic ones on the forum for those who want to participate:

1: This and all future threads will be a choose to warn experience; IE you will not need to use spoiler bars to talk about things that happened in this and previous episodes.

2: It is, however, advisable to use spoiler bars if you want to talk about spoilers for an unaired episode.

3: Please be respectful of the opinions of your fellow Deadites; some people may not love the episode as much as you do; some may love it more. Discussion and debate are good things.

LAST WEEK'S THREAD:

Here!

SUMMARY:

Ash's bond with his daughter strengthens as more Knights of Sumeria join Pablo and him to defeat evil; Kelly decides to go after Ruby while Ash, team and the knights enter the rift and face a battle of their own.

TRAILER:

Clips:

1, 2, 3

Gallery:

@FarFarAway Site

Episode was Written by Aaron Lam who wrote Ashy Slashy last season and has directed many episodes, and was directed by Regan Hall, who doesn't have a lot of credits behind him.

All news, spoilers, clips and reactions pertaining to the episode are welcome!

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Ashy Slashy was one of my personal favorite episodes of the show so that's pretty exciting. Hope this one delivers too!

Kevin

Loud Mouth Braggart
Wow another solid episode. Loved the fights in this and the demons looked really cool and gross. Ruby vs Kelly fight was pretty intense too. Loved it!

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Fucking hell that was a amazing episode. Were really getting into the meat and potatoes of this season.

That ruby vs kelly fight was worth the fucking wait. Plus pablo's little moment with ash's chainsaw was awesome to see.

that annie callback was brutal but subtle to hear.
"Last person who read from those pages got a dagger in the back..."

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
It was nice to see a bigger baddie, and for lack of a better term, a boss deadite. Just once though I really wanted to see a Knight Of Sumerian kick some ass. My biggest disappointment with Dalton was we never got to see him do anything action wise.

This episode was great. Very serious and plot heavy while also having Ash be himself to break up the monotony of story, which we aren’t used to on this show.

Prediction: Obviously Kelly will be brought back through the rift or will she? Will they finally let a main character die or will they bring everyone back, including Cheryl, Brock, Chet, etc. I’m not sure how I feel about that. Also I think it is clear now that Brandy is going to kill Ruby in the end. I’m actually glad Kelly failed, being that Ruby is immortal and Kelly has no real proven background of special training.

Great episode. I’m going to go watch it again but looking back, In glad this fast pacing of the story wasn’t used in the first two seasons and it has urgency and weight now.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@Surtur

You know what i liked about this episode and what it did for kelly's character, i can now look back at the first two seasons and kelly's journey up to this point and say "Wow, those previous conversations and event's actually foreshadowed this very moment." It feels like we've finally come full circle with the journey she's been on for the past 2 seasons.

Kelly's death you could actually look at now as a long time coming deal, kelly wanted this moment and she got it. And it blew up in her face big time, revenge consumed her better sense of judgement and common sense and it ended up getting her killed.

Pablo foretold her back in s1 revenge would forever consume her destiny, and it did. Revenge and her anger consumed her soul in this episode.

This fight had a lot of depth and weight to it and in my opinion was important for closing off kelly's revenge arc and actually fleshing her out as a character in her last moments.

And if you wanna look at this fight from a metaphorical stand point,you could say kelly was fighting her own demons through out that whole fight and she became blinded by her grail, her quest for revenge. This fight was amazing, probably the most personal one we've gotten so far in this show, it's a stand out fight for sure.

PREDICTION.

Now IF, kelly is to come back from this somehow or someway through the rift and reclaim her body from kaya, i'm hopeful her character moves on from the revenge arc she was given in s1 and her character can move on to something new and doesn't take her second chance at being given another shot at life for granted and she moves on from her past and her own demons, and focuses on what she currently has in front of her. They have a good set-up arc for her, i hope they stick the landing like they did with this cause they knocked it out of the park in my opinion.

Last edited:

waifugenerator

S-Mart Clerk
That was a great episode but I was hoping that they'd touch on
Kelly wanting revenge for 80s Ruby killing the Good Ruby, it would have been interesting to hear how Ruby felt about essentially killing herself

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
This is a show clearly made for binge watching, more so than most shows that are actually released all on the same day.

I need the next 4 episodes and I need them TODAY!

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
This episode is probably one of the best I saw so far. It got that ED2 ending battle mood with Henrietta. Action scene was great and well done. The whole fighting sequence with the rift gave me goosebumps. This is what I was expecting from the series since day 1.

Of course this is episode is not perfect. Ash still act as High school student, but it was much better. This episode is a big improvement over the rest. Hope they will keep that tone until the end.

Once again Kelly did put everyone in danger. Sorry for fans but what a egoistical stupid character. I'll repeat she's the T-Dog of the series. It's all not negative through, at least it close a circle as @Joem1k said. Revenge consumed her sold as Pablo told her in S1. That make a lot of sense. Is she really dead? I don't think so. Pablo was cut in half and came back from the dead. I'm sure this is a temporary death. The only thing I hate is that, she's once again be possessed by a powerful demon that will trick everyone. Just like the Elios demon in S1. They should have just killed her.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
And back at it again:

The Good

The Ruby/Kelly fight. Well-choreographed, well, thought out, well-written, well done. As everyone else has pointed out, Kelly dying by her own hubris has been nicely set up,
but will she learn anything from this? We do see her on the other side of the rift, and since there's a moment where she and Pablo kiss again that we haven't seen, she comes back to stay - we also know this from the speech Bruce described in an interview. I don't know, I want this to have an impact on her character.
Body parts continuing to move after they've been hewen and cleaved apart! Lucy Lawless injecting some proper humanity into Ruby! The only flaw was that she didn't bring up having to kill Good!Ruby, but well, an understandable omission.

Pablo's toughening up has been appropriate, but he's still rather himself.

Brandy getting super enthused by the whole thing, and her becoming more friendly with her father. Ash's never bothered to actually heat up his own pop tarts, tho?

The Meh

The whole chrysalis thing with the kid. Properly horror-gross, but she couldn't have birthed him full-sized? Ash did with his own clone! And it only took a couple of minutes!

The Bad

The Knights of Sumeria are pretty terrible at their vocations. Haven't they been ready for this for ages now? Dalton was more prepared than they were. The Law of Character Economy guaranteed their deaths, and I just feel like there'd be a much bigger impact if, say, they'd let Amanda live and brought her back into the plot with them in tow, or had Linda B leading them. Kudos to them not having an sexual or romantic tension between the leader and Ash tho. So far.

Looots of continuity problems. How did Pablo get his hands on his uncle's stuff when they immediately burned the place down after his death? Why did he not link the masks he'd seen in his dream to the mask he saw in the box? He would've seen this stuff in his Uncle's room before. And while Pablo feeling it when Kelly died was a great touch, how did Pablo not feel it just as much when Kaya came through the rift?

The Verdict

A very good episode, perhaps because it pulls so much focus in on a simple scene - Ruby vs Kelly.

Though I'm kind of groaning over them going to the evil twin well again. Also HOW Do Kaya and Ruby not know how this is going to end when they saw what happened with BOTH evil Ashes?!

And I didn't notice the Annie callback! Good catch, Joe!

Last edited:

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
This was my favorite epidose this season, one thing i hope they don't do...don't pull a Pablo with Kelly's character too.

There is no point in killing off the main characters if they are just gonna come back 1-2 episodes later like nothing happened, it takes everything away from the moment. Like others said it was a proper way for Kelly's character to go.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@MaidOfKandar

She's probably gonna be super pissed if she get's back IF that even happens, but i don't think she's gonna continue that conquest of getting her revenge after all that, main theme for this season is family. I feel like, if she comes back she's gonna be more focused on protecting her current family more then anything then trying to go after her holy grail again. Plus they've already got pablo and kelly being a thing now, i highly doubt she's gonna go risking being egotistical/revenge fueled again and losing her second chance at living given to her by the same guy that saves her ass.

Plus the growth in character development has been pretty solid this season so let's see what happens.

Why does everyone keep putting kaya underneath the umbrella of "powerful demon" she is not a powerful demon, she's a knight of sumeria who had her soul sucked into the book for messing around with it and paid the price.

She is ruby's sidekick/lackey that does her bidding who just wants the books power.

Yes the situation is similar to eligos for sure, but this situation is way more different and quite possibly a lot more difficult when you throw down the factors and the odds of it.

Kelly's soul is gone and now lost somewhere, possibly in that rift in the deadlands

Kaya is currently in her body, which is going to make this situation a lot tougher to get her out to put kelly back in especially with ruby around.

The overall odds of them getting kelly's soul back into her body are slim to none.
Here's hoping ash and pablo discover this new development sooner rather then later.

Last edited:

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
As an aside, the "these taste so much better toasted" line completely slayed me!

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Brandy getting super enthused by the whole thing, and her becoming more friendly with her father. Ash's never bothered to actually heat up his own pop tarts, tho?

Pop Tarts are only good when they are cold so I will forgive Ash for that. Yesterday was a day of family, friends, and food... but the last couple of glasses of wine made me fall asleep before the show started. The sad part of it is I was so excited to watch episode 6 live instead I woke up to my own horror which involves a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I digress because there will be more related to AvED after I do some catching up.

kai

Primitive Screwhead
What was the song during the end credits? It's called Evil Woman but can't find the artist?

Top Bottom