Ash vs Evil Dead S03E06: Tales from the Rift Discussion [SPOILERS]

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
I mentioned it in here earlier, but the thirty minute episodes work perfectly when you have the full season to stream/binge. It's the traditional week to week wait that's damaging the flow.

I agree that the short episodes appear to be getting in the way of real character development, but then if you can get strong development and charicterisation in an hour and half long movie, there's no excuse not to manage it in a five hour runtime.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
If I had to guess, they’re trying to keep it a the pace of
I mentioned it in here earlier, but the thirty minute episodes work perfectly when you have the full season to stream/binge. It's the traditional week to week wait that's damaging the flow.

I agree that the short episodes appear to be getting in the way of real character development, but then if you can get strong development and charicterisation in an hour and half long movie, there's no excuse not to manage it in a five hour runtime.

Yes, I agree. I'm just about done with season 2 but watching season 1 again and I liked it way more.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I think that in the end they ended up going with half-hour long episodes because of the SFX budget (Bruce's story was always that half-hour episodes were enough to keep the audience's scattershot attention, which is His Opinion Man).

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
Amazon's 'The Tick' has a similar half an hour sit-com/drama mish-mash going and it suffers some of the same issues.
It's not as fast paced as AvED so the characters get to breathe a little more but it dumped the first half all at once and it really helped build momentum.
It ballsed it all up by holding off on the second half for way too long and the momentum had died.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Promo for the next episode

I just hope they won't do as season 1. Let grow an Evil Ash to just kill it. I always thought Evil Ash should have been a recurrent character with many reincarnations. Now it seems it's just another Evil Ash which don't remember anything from his past lives. It could transform into that giant demon as @MaidOfKandar said in a previous post. If not, what a useless development in the story. It will be a wait & see...

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Ugh, really? Again we go so far as to build up a character as important, build half the season around what a big bad he/she/it is going to be...and then kill it within minutes of it rising to its final form?

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Ugh, really? Again we go so far as to build up a character as important, build half the season around what a big bad he/she/it is going to be...and then kill it within minutes of it rising to its final form?

Same reaction here. I just don't understand the build up if they're going to throw everything in the garbage. Also, I was expecting to get a clone of Ash with a chainsaw hand made of flesh and bones. I really thought this was the build up of the next great villain. So finally it's the same thing as S1 but different. Now I don't expect nothing more with Kelly's possession. sigh.

DyD

Spinach Chin

Same reaction here. I just don't understand the build up if they're going to throw everything in the garbage. Also, I was expecting to get a clone of Ash with a chainsaw hand made of flesh and bones. I really thought this was the build up of the next great villain. So finally it's the same thing as S1 but different. Now I don't expect nothing more with Kelly's possession. sigh.

Yup, I agree with the both of you. All these interesting things they keep introducing and building up as something important only to do nothing significant with any of it. This show really has a problem with rewarding audience investment and making things actually matter. It's one of the things that's been bugging me the most and I have no doubt it's one of the reasons the show's been leaking viewers. There's no point in getting invested when nothing seems to matter. To make things even worse, that Evil Ash thing is also something that has already been done on the show almost the exact same way. There are a lot of repeating plots and set-ups this season. The inconsequential Evil Ash antagonist. Kelly getting possessed by a "special" entity. An old girlfriend of Ash who has a daughter showing up out of nowhere (I already said this before, but I'm very thankful they didn't name her "Linda C"). Main characters "dying" only to be revived/saved just a couple of episodes later (probably). After only 20 barely 30 minute long episodes, they're apparently already running out of ideas and repeating themselves. At least there will be no return to the cabin this season, even though we did get a return to the cabin site. Even the daughter subplot is a left over of Craig's "plan" that they had supposedly abandoned (not to mention that they haven't been doing much with it in my opinion, since Brandy's been a pretty passive and sidelined character so far).

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Ruby ends up being a useless character as well.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Yup, I agree with the both of you. All these interesting things they keep introducing and building up as something important only to do nothing significant with any of it. This show really has a problem with rewarding audience investment and making things actually matter. It's one of the things that's been bugging me the most and I have no doubt it's one of the reasons the show's been leaking viewers. There's no point in getting invested when nothing seems to matter. To make things even worse, that Evil Ash thing is also something that has already been done on the show almost the exact same way. There are a lot of repeating plots and set-ups this season. The inconsequential Evil Ash antagonist. Kelly getting possessed by a "special" entity. An old girlfriend of Ash who has a daughter showing up out of nowhere (I already said this before, but I'm very thankful they didn't name her "Linda C"). Main characters "dying" only to be revived/saved just a couple of episodes later (probably). After only 20 barely 30 minute long episodes, they're apparently already running out of ideas and repeating themselves. At least there will be no return to the cabin this season, even though we did kinda got a return to the cabin site. Even the daughter subplot is a left over of Craig's "plan" that they had supposedly abandoned (not to mention that they haven't been doing much with it in my opinion, since Brandy's been a pretty passive and sidelined character so far).

I still think a LOT of the show's problems seem to revolve around the fact that it's been terrible at adapting the movie's reckless ways. But I've said it before and I'll say it again: I care more about Annie in Evil Dead 2 than I do about Ruby in AvED, and they've had so much more time to adapt Ruby into someone to care about. Just think about it, so far we've had the equivalent of six movies so far with this series, and I care more about a character I spent barely two hours with than one who's been established as the heavy in a fifteen hour production.

I know that Evil Twins are a trope for this franchise, and I know that time travel is as well, but we've had evil twins in EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Even the trilogy didn't include the trope that many times. Also this is the fourth set of double-Ashes we've had. At least the dueling Rubys varied it up.

Ruby ends up being a useless character as well.

Ever since you told me that in private I've been both braced and wondering how many levels of Lewis Black-style anger I'm going to reach on Sunday.

Last edited:

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Don't worry. Doesn't happen until the 9th episode.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Ahh, so I'll reach LB-levels of anger in three weeks instead of three days!

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
:confused: See, this is why i don't have any more motivation/gumption to really post any big full in-depth reviews anymore or theorize about anything in-depth anymore. It's just not fun or as you guys put it ENGAGING to discuss this show anymore when we have this type of stuff happening all the time around here and everyone is just in a bad mood or is just bracing themselves for the worst and probably groaning as loudly as they possibly can during the episode. How can i or someone else who enjoys this show find it fun or engaging to wanna actually discuss this show when the majority of the active people here who do discuss it are grumpy/pissed off because their expectations were let down or weren't met and just wanna be harsh for the sake of being harsh, it's just become a endless cycle each week with each episode. I get it's everyone's opinion and i'm not trying to knock anyone down for their opinion but think about it this way, would you wanna come and talk about something that you love and talk about the story and theorize about what might happen next only to walk into a hall full of people who are bitter/angry and grumpy all the time? No, i certainly wouldn't, it would be miserable to wanna discuss anything at all because the vast majority are pissed off or don't wanna be here at all. If it feel's like i'm attacking anyone or offending anyone here, i'm not attacking anyone, i'm just talking in general about the overall atmosphere I've gotten every time i come on here to try or want to discuss anything relating to this show anymore. the atmosphere as of late has become a "echo chamber" of negativity.

I think i'm gonna bow out of the discussion train at this point, i feel it's just not worth it anymore to discuss the show when the general atmosphere is always the same every week with every episode no matter what happens.

And one last thing, it's a real pain in the ass to see all these future spoiler rants about upcoming episodes clogging up this episode discussion and yes i see they are labeled with naming, but people are going to read it regardless of the warnings given cause it's the current conversation taking place and no one wants to feel left out. It's really a damn shame to see no one is taking into account that some members here would rather not have a whole future event spoiled for them from a new episode just because someone wants to vent their frustrations early. If you guys wanna point out future spoilers or talk about stuff you've seen early, take it to a group dm conversation and talk there about it and not out in the open for everyone to see in a previous episode discussion thread for pete sake's. We're better then this!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
@Joem1k - I can definitely understand your feelings about the negativity (and we should have taken this down and over to the general discussion thread). The best way to drive positivity is to express it, and you've been doing that! I'm sorry you feel that's been drowned out by anger and negativity.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hope you'll feel encouraged to post more! I've missed those long episode analysis posts of yours, don't think they haven't been appreciated.

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
:confused: See, this is why i don't have any more motivation/gumption to really post any big full in-depth reviews anymore or theorize about anything in-depth anymore. It's just not fun or as you guys put it ENGAGING to discuss this show anymore when we have this type of stuff happening and everyone is just in a bad mood or is just bracing themselves for the worst and probably groaning as loudly as they possibly can during the episode. How can i or someone else who enjoys this show find it fun or engaging to wanna actually talk/discuss this show when the majority of the active people here who do discuss it are grumpy/pissed off because their expectations were let down and just wanna be harsh for the sake of being harsh, it's become a endless cycle each week with each episode. I get it's everyone's opinion and i'm not trying to knock anyone down for their opinion but think about it this way, would you wanna come and talk about something that you love and talk about the story and theorize about what might happen next only to walk into a hall full of people who are bitter/angry and grumpy all the time? No, i certainly wouldn't, it would be miserable to wanna discuss anything at all because the vast majority are pissed off or don't wanna be here at all. If it feel's like i'm attacking anyone or offending anyone here, i'm not attacking anyone, i'm just talking in general about the over all general atmosphere i get every time i come on to try and want to discuss anything relating to this show anymore. the atmosphere as of late has become the thing that's been thrown around a lot "a echo chamber".

I think i'm gonna bow out of the discussion train at this point, it's just not worth putting any effort forth anymore to discuss this show when the general atmosphere is the same every week with every episode.

And one last thing, it's a real pain in the ass to see all these future spoiler/event rants about upcoming episodes clogging up this episode discussion and yes i see they are labeled with naming, but people are going to read it regardless of the warnings given cause it's the current conversation taking place and no one wants to feel left out. It's really a damn shame to see no one is taking into account that some members here would rather not have a whole future event spoiled for them from a new episode just because someone wants to vent their frustrations early. If you guys wanna point out future spoilers or talk about stuff you've seen early, take it to a group dm conversation and talk there about it and not out in the open for everyone to see in a previous episode discussion thread for pete sake's. We're better then this.

I've actually found the people who enjoy this show the least tend to populate this board.

General movie sites or day to day conversations with others that are watching the show tend to be far more positive and excited from week to week. Even those who see flaws in it are far, far more forgiving than on here.

I'm assuming that's what is going on, I haven't read ANY of the spoiler posts (or watched the video for next week) and won't be doing because I, like you, enjoy seeing things completely fresh. I'm not against people disliking the show, and I do agree with the odd complaint here or there, but there's a lot of times I wonder why people here are even watching. Duty watching if you've is been miserable for three years is totally pointless.

Top Bottom