Evil Dead 2: The Official Board Game

Just saw this on Evil Dead Uproot’s Facebook Page:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05/28/kickstopped-space-goat-evil-dead-2-terminator-board-games/
I hope refunds are in order if it’s officially canceled.

No chance for a refund. I backed this game at about 150 dollars and have been following it's progress for two years. After months of false updates and lies from Space Goat, we found out that the company is out of money. They still owe BoDA (the company that made the molds for the minis) 15,000. This campaign has been one huge train wreck for the past six months or so.
 
Yeah they pretty much flushed everyone's money down the drain. Including a famous YouTuber who is pretty pissed.
 
What a mess.

If i had to make a guess based on the timing of how everything went down, they used the Kickstarter money to fund the last wave of comic releases that were delayed for ages. My guess is the comics undersold and they couldn't pay back into the Kickstarter, so they tried to reorganize the company but couldn't find more willing suckers.

It's a shame, their Evil Dead 2 comics were pretty good and the game looked interesting. Unfortunately it looks like the fish rotted from the head judging from the ugly crap that SB said to various employees of theirs.

Which youtuber, Elise?
 
I lost a shitload of money on this, and am now genuinely hesitant to go near the Army of Darkness Kickstarter because of it.
 
What a mess.

If i had to make a guess based on the timing of how everything went down, they used the Kickstarter money to fund the last wave of comic releases that were delayed for ages. My guess is the comics undersold and they couldn't pay back into the Kickstarter, so they tried to reorganize the company but couldn't find more willing suckers.

It's a shame, their Evil Dead 2 comics were pretty good and the game looked interesting. Unfortunately it looks like the fish rottedfrom the head judging from the ugly crap that SB said to various employees of theirs.

Which youtuber, Elise?

Angry Joe
 
What a mess.

If i had to make a guess based on the timing of how everything went down, they used the Kickstarter money to fund the last wave of comic releases that were delayed for ages. My guess is the comics undersold and they couldn't pay back into the Kickstarter, so they tried to reorganize the company but couldn't find more willing suckers.

It's a shame, their Evil Dead 2 comics were pretty good and the game looked interesting. Unfortunately it looks like the fish rottedfrom the head judging from the ugly crap that SB said to various employees of theirs.

Which youtuber, Elise?
I don't have enough to go on about this .. on one hand, I've worked inside organisations where women are treated badly .. on the other hand, I've worked inside organisations where women have very skilfully pretended to be treated badly .. we'd only have accusations to go on at the moment (the allegations of violent and sexual language used) but, yes, his frank apology does lend weight to these allegations .. I'm leaning towards him having immature management skills although he could also being told now what to write by a lawyer ..

An earlier poster in this thread stated that he managed to raise $90,000 when he was only originally asking for $15,000 seed money so I think Elise's suggestion that he was probably 'juggling' that money to invest in his comic books sounds very likely .. it's a shame for all concerned, the game itself looked good .. perhaps one of the prototypes will end up for sale one day ?
 
he managed to raise $90,000 when he was only originally asking for $15,000

Are you talking about the kickstarter? He asked for $70,000 and managed to raise a whopping $722,622 on that one. That was to produce a boardgame that's already been confirmed will never be produced and delivered to the 6,000 people who paid for it. There was also another simultaneous kickstarter for a boardgame based on The Terminator that raised more than $200,000. That one won't ever see the light of day either. If you add the two together you get nearly $1,000,000 taken from over 8,000 backers who will never get what they paid for. Now they're saying there's no money left to refund the backers, so God knows what he did with all that money. Wanna add insult to injury? Not too long ago he also started another campaign to get the public to invest in his company and help save it. Given the mess going on with the kickstarters, it's no surprise that campaign failed miserably. Add to all of that the abuse and sexual misconduct accusations and the future of the company/his career is starting to look pretty grim.
 
Last edited:
@Guy - Dynamite's pretty reputable, so you shouldn't have to worry!

@Elise41 Eesh, that sucks for him!

@Swofty That was my suggestion, actually!
 
Alright... I'm resurrecting this thread to take another shot in the dark at finding something from a recently stirred up memory. Does anybody here remember (or even own) the tabletop/board game magazine had the Evil Dead 2 board game as the cover story? I remember it used the Evil Dead 2: Beyond Dead By Dawn #1 cover as the art, but it had a white rectangular boarder (like a National Geographic magazine) and white text. I distinctly remember the title of the magazine was in white, too. I want to say the magazine had "game" in the title, but I'm not 100% on that.
 
So, in honor of today marking the 10th anniversary of the release of Space Goat's first Evil Dead 2 comic, I would like to share something that I've had saved up for a rainy day or special occasion. I have taken the liberty of going through all 100+ updates on Space Goat's notorious Evil Dead 2: The Official Board Game Kickstarter page and saved (at least what I believe to be) all the cool stuff.

MEGA LINK

This material includes:
* A PDF of the original rule book
* ALL of the character/item/events cards that were posted on the Kickstarter (including the basic set and "Cabin of Carnage" set)
* Videos of the 3D model turnarounds for the miniatures
* Various other videos like the "how to play" tutorial and other bits
* Photographs of the completed games in their boxes (in case any future people doing research on this are curious if it was ever completed) and the Richard Domeier autographed Ed Getley cards
* All material related to the dice made from the actual ED2 cabin (videos and photographs)
* All images of the miniatures (including the movie characters, new enemies, and the ones based on the likenesses of the actual backers, and the all the "painting guide" images)
 
So, in honor of today marking the 10th anniversary of the release of Space Goat's first Evil Dead 2 comic, I would like to share something that I've had saved up for a rainy day or special occasion. I have taken the liberty of going through all 100+ updates on Space Goat's notorious Evil Dead 2: The Official Board Game Kickstarter page and saved (at least what I believe to be) all the cool stuff.

MEGA LINK

This material includes:
* A PDF of the original rule book
* ALL of the character/item/events cards that were posted on the Kickstarter (including the basic set and "Cabin of Carnage" set)
* Videos of the 3D model turnarounds for the miniatures
* Various other videos like the "how to play" tutorial and other bits
* Photographs of the completed games in their boxes (in case any future people doing research on this are curious if it was ever completed) and the Richard Domeier autographed Ed Getley cards
* All material related to the dice made from the actual ED2 cabin (videos and photographs)
* All images of the miniatures (including the movie characters, new enemies, and the ones based on the likenesses of the actual backers, and the all the "painting guide" images)
Thank you for taking the time to do this MTC28 :cool: .. and @EvilDeadChainsaws ..
 
So who actually played this?

A couple of years ago I was planning to get this, partially because it kinda looks similar to an Evil Dead boardgame idea I had like 10 years ago (but never realized, sadly). But every time I see images of this game or some playthroughs on YouTube, I can't shake the feeling that this game just… looks very ugly and overly complicated for what it is?

Any thoughts or personal experiences?
 
We now have a section covering the board game on our site (covering mostly the deluxe edition):

It defenetly looks much better with the 3D walls.

By the way when it comes to Evil Dead-like board games, I'd highly recommend Monster Slaughter. It's heavily influenced by Evil Dead, though it's also an over-all homage to the 80s horror movies in general. I always think of it as an unofficial Cabin in the Woods board game: you're in a cabin, there are five stereotypical teenagers, and you play as a family of monsters (vampires, werewolves, mummies, zombies, …). Each player picks one family and then competes in who kills the most teenagers, who guesses the right order of the kills, and such.

It's a very fun and easy to learn game that I often played with my brother even when he was like 12-13 and we always had a blast. There are also some additional human characters that can enter the cabin during the game, including the "Demon Hunter".

Here's a very nice video going through the game and the rules.
 
Resurrecting this thread a bit, I DID play the original iteration a bit. I mean... sort of. I made a proxy version of what was available and was attempting to create an alternate ruleset to go along with it, so I did play that version a number of times.

I tried very hard to get one of the demo copies from Shon before they got dumpstered but I was never able to secure one. Relations had... let's say soured by that point so there wasn't much communication at the end.
 
I tried very hard to get one of the demo copies from Shon before they got dumpstered but I was never able to secure one.
A few escaped. I've seen a few "complete" ones (probably the demo ones they used for conventions or testing) go up on eBay. There was one on there for about $50 several years ago that I was really tempted to snag, but I didn't. :(
 
Top Bottom