I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Great shots!

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

Hurley

Spinach Chin
There is a strange discourse I discovered recently when it comes to Evil Dead fans. I've always loved this forum because most of you "get" Evil Dead the same way that I do, but there are lots of other fans that like… measure these movies strictly on the basis of how gory they are? Like when people compare the remake and Rise, multiple times have I came across the argument in the veins of "well Rise had the cheese grater scene, but remake had the needle in the eyeball scene, therefore remake is better."

This seems very bizarre to me but it also kind of explains why so many people liked AvED, even though it was an inconsistent tone deaf frat-boy comedy mess. Because it was gory and funny and those are the only two things that count, apparently.

Opinions?

DyD

Spinach Chin
There is a strange discourse I discovered recently when it comes to Evil Dead fans. I've always loved this forum because most of you "get" Evil Dead the same way that I do, but there are lots of other fans that like… measure these movies strictly on the basis of how gory they are? Like when people compare the remake and Rise, multiple times have I came across the argument in the veins of "well Rise had the cheese grater scene, but remake had the needle in the eyeball scene, therefore remake is better."

This seems very bizarre to me but it also kind of explains why so many people liked AvED, even though it was an inconsistent tone deaf frat-boy comedy mess. Because it was gory and funny and those are the only two things that count, apparently.

Opinions?

Yup. It was during AvED that I realized the things I loved so much about the Raimi trilogy – the stuff that really made me such a huge fan of the franchise and that I had come to expect from it – were very different from the things a lot of other fans loved about it and wanted to see. Which is totally fine, really. I totally respect and understand it, but it was still a very enlightening moment to me realizing that my idea of what Evil Dead is supposed to be isn't the same as everyone else's. It's like when Lee Cronin posted about how many gallons of blood they used in Evil Dead Rise and folks around here were discussing it and comparing it with how much blood was used in the remake, and I was sitting here thinking I just don't give a shit. Sure, it's a big part of the Evil Dead style just how cartoonishly violent and bloody it can get, but that's seriously the least interesting aspect of the franchise to me. I care a lot more about how inventive, imaginative, clever and frantic these movies can be than I do about how shocking, bloody and gross they can get. I think that's why the excessive focus on juvenile gross-out humor in AvED and all the hype around the tongue splitting in the remake and cheese grater stuff in EDR kinda rub me the wrong way, as the series was never about "pushing the envelope" to me.

Last edited:

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
@Hurley and @DyD: My English is not good enough to give my opinion in a way that is eloquent enough. But I think I see it the same way you do. I even think that there is a even deeper point that revival products like AvED have in common with all the other sequels or remakes of decade old franchises that dominate media today. And I think it is a widespread psychological phaenomena.

We live in a complex, very often very frightening time and world. People look for safety. Often they look for it by revisiting the safety of their childhood by revisiting old toys (grown ups buying lego) or tv series, movies etc. This of course is big buisness for the owners of the media content. A big chunk of new releases consist of the recycled gold of past decades and the depressed masses long for it. The promise of the 36th marvel movie or one last film with Harrison Ford as Han Solo / Rick Deckard / Indiana Jones is like a promise of salvation, like a comeback of the good old times. Not everytime but very often these recycled dreams lack the artistic integrity of the originals. Some fans see through that and would rather prefer a world with the originals and without their insufficient spinoffs. Other fans are satisfied with the supply of superficial repetitions. Some because they enjoy it as simple entertainment. Some because their desperate need to numb their existential confusion is so high that they look over the obvious cynicism of modern franchises.

Maybe I interpretate too much into it. And I also do not want to argue against a certain type of fans or disrespect them. But that's the way I get it.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

Opinions?

God, I think that's why I was so powerfully anti-remake and AvED and why I liked Rise so much. I know I did bring up the blood level, if only for comparison's sake, but I see that bandied about a lot when people can't articulate why they liked certain elements of the franchise. "Well, there was a lot of blood!" and "Ooh, a catchphrase or reference!" often gets thrown iin. But the blood has to evoke something - fear or nausea or anything - instead of just being extent in gallons! The characters have to be interesting! It's not a good movie or show without both! You can argue that Ash is a non-character but Bruce knew how to give him personality and force.

DyD

Spinach Chin
I know I did bring up the blood level, if only for comparison's sake

I wasn't calling you or anybody else out, by the way. I know you care about a lot more than just the blood and guts when it comes to the franchise. It's just that it felt related to what Hurley was talking about, and I brought it up just to color my opinion on that type of discourse.

Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Like when people compare the remake and Rise, multiple times have I came across the argument in the veins of "well Rise had the cheese grater scene, but remake had the needle in the eyeball scene, therefore remake is better."

Very surprising to since the eyeball thing is fast becoming the new tree scene in the Evil Dead franchise since they did it in 2013 with Eric (a bit different) and in Ash vs Evil Dead Vivian tried to poke Kelly's eye out and now it has happened in Rise. The last of those were done to better effect, and I'm all for moving on from the damn trees.

I think that's why I was so powerfully anti-remake and AvED and why I liked Rise so much. I know I did bring up the blood level, if only for comparison's sake, but I see that bandied about a lot when people can't articulate why they liked certain elements of the franchise. "Well, there was a lot of blood!" and "Ooh, a catchphrase or reference!" often gets thrown iin. But the blood has to evoke something - fear or nausea or anything - instead of just being extent in gallons! The characters have to be interesting! It's not a good movie or show without both! You can argue that Ash is a non-character but Bruce knew how to give him personality and force.

2013 was meh, Ash vs Evil Dead is a show I loved, and Rise is just a good story with good characters and people involved which I would take over the blood and gore. Although when watching 2013 a second time in theater I was rooting for Eric to die an even more painful death even though I had seen it.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Very surprising to since the eyeball thing is fast becoming the new tree scene in the Evil Dead franchise since they did it in 2013 with Eric (a bit different) and in Ash vs Evil Dead Vivian tried to poke Kelly's eye out and now it has happened in Rise. The last of those were done to better effect, and I'm all for moving on from the damn trees.

To further my point that the series was never really about pushing the envelope, the tree rape scene is one of the very few moments in the Raimi trilogy I think would fit that assessment, and even Sam apparently decided on his own that it wasn't the way to go and dropped that stuff going forward. After the first movie, every single moment of extreme violence and excessive blood and gore in the trilogy is depicted very cartoonishly, mostly aiming to elicit laughter rather than shock. So I really don't know where this weird notion a lot of people seem to have – that the Evil Dead franchise was always about shocking, unnerving depictions of extreme violence – comes from.

Last edited:

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
To further my point that the series was never really about pushing the envelope, the only moment in the Raimi trilogy I think would fit that assessment is the tree rape scene, and even Sam apparently decided on his own that it wasn't the way to go and dropped that stuff going forward. After that, every single moment of extreme violence and excessive blood and gore in the trilogy is depicted very cartoonishly, mostly aiming to elicit laughter rather than shock. So I really don't know where this notion a lot of people seem to have – that the Evil Dead franchise was always about shocking, unnerving depictions of extreme violence – comes from.

Yeah, if I recall it correctly the second half of the original film only became such a gore fest because with only Bruce left of the cast there was not anything else to do but to put someone else in deadite make up and spend the rest of the film with effect work.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Yeah, if I recall it correctly the second half of the original film only became such a gore fest because with only Bruce left of the cast there was not anything else to do but to put someone else in deadite make up and spend the rest of the film with effect work.

Yeah, there are a couple of other moments in the first movie that might also fit the bill, such as the ankle stabbing and maybe the eye gouging (and I've updated my original post to account for those moments), but I'd argue it still isn't enough to treat that stuff as the whole point of the franchise.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I wasn't calling you or anybody else out, by the way. I know you care about a lot more than just the blood and guts when it comes to the franchise. It's just that it felt related to what Hurley was talking about, and I brought it up just to color my opinion on that type of discourse.I
It's all good, I knew you weren't!

One of the best things about Rise is that it managed to evoke the tree stuff without inserting rape into the equation. I'm glad the franchise is finally surmounting it.

Also God, this, I rewatch 2013 and every time I want him to die violently. One of maybe two or three franchise characters I actually passionately hate.

Top Bottom