Evil Dead Rise

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Last edited:

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
That is a huge number, and I'm happy to have been a small part of a 100 million dollar theatrical release of an Evil Dead movie... but now Guardians of the Galaxy is out and for those who have yet to see Rise will have a chance to see it digitally (on the 9th) where I have no doubt it will have continued success. A good run.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
That is a huge number, and I'm happy to have been a small part of a 100 million dollar theatrical release of an Evil Dead movie... but now Guardians of the Galaxy is out and for those who have yet to see Rise will have a chance to see it digitally (on the 9th) where I have no doubt it will have continued success. A good run.

Yep, and digital release is coming next week apparently!

It's a great accomplishment, especially because they managed to do this in competition with Mario. The only question is - outside of the apparent animated series - where the franchise goes for now. I find it super interesting how the audience response has worked out for this one either way.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Full details about home media release:

May 9 = Digital at $24.99 to own and $19.99 to rent (as someone who used to pay $5 to rent new releases my eyeballs just went o_0)
June 27 = DVD/4K/Etc. No firm word of extras, no likely extended/unrated director's cut (Lee shot for Max standards and the MPAA did not reject much of their footage).

Muzzlehatch

Loud Mouth Braggart
Full details about home media release:

May 9 = Digital at $24.99 to own and $19.99 to rent (as someone who used to pay $5 to rent new releases my eyeballs just went o_0)
June 27 = DVD/4K/Etc. No firm word of extras, no likely extended/unrated director's cut (Lee shot for Max standards and the MPAA did not reject much of their footage).
I wish the German home media release would come so fast. I do not want to sit alone in a cinema, but unfortunately my wife hates horror movies and I fear most of my friends are not so much into gore flicks either.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
You keep saying that but I still point to his "picture lock" tweet that shows his Final Cut Pro editing timeline at 2 and half hours. I think he's full of shit one way or another because what he's telling us and what he's showing us don't match.

Maybe calling Lee Cronin "full of shit" is a little harsh since we don't know what else was on there, but it probably included a lot of extra stuff that was important... but not a part of the final theatrical cut of Rise they had locked in on.

demonovation

S-Mart Clerk
It's just an expression, don't get offended on his behalf. I personally haven't been following him or what he's said, but I've heard he's said the theatrical release is his definitive cut, which is totally fine, but its also been repeated in this thread that he has no more footage. However when the first picture lock edit shows nearly an hour of extra stuff he at least at one point thought was worthwhile to have in the film it seems disingenuous for him to to act like he doesn't have anything else to show. Maybe you don't *want* to show it, or to cut it back in, or maybe he just means there no more gore that was cut. Personally I'd love a cut with more of the other tenants included. Granted, Lee owes us nothing. Fine, too. I'm just an asshole that finds it harder and harder to part with my money on a physical release when there's no incentives, like extras, to buy it. Especially when there seems to be a WEALTH of behind the scenes stuff.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
You keep saying that but I still point to his "picture lock" tweet that shows his Final Cut Pro editing timeline at 2 and half hours. I think he's full of shit one way or another because what he's telling us and what he's showing us don't match.
I keep saying that because he keeps saying that in the press and Bruce keeps echoing him, which is frankly all I can do unless he admits there's a longer cut (if it's extent, and at that one that's apparently not more extreme and may just have character stuff, which I'd enjoy) or WB ponies it up. Like for all we know it could be more, which I would like to see, but either way no one's being forthcoming about it and I can't say it exists until it does. They very well could be playing with the truth because heaven knows that's a thing they love to do with this franchise, but until it appears the only word I have to go on beyond his Tweet is what he has actually verbally said.

Like at least this was easier with the remake because Fede wouldn't stop telling the world what got filmed and cut and the trailer had stuff in it that wasn't in the actual movie; people were pretty much waiting for the extended edition of it from the jump.

For the record, we 100 percent agree on the matter of extras and skimpy DVD releases, I would like there to be a longer unrated/extended cut and if there is one day I'd probably buy it. I will say am not paying almost $25 for a digital download of this flick even though I did like it because I'm holding for the blu/DVD pack in the hope that it will have extras.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
FWIW this is what I meant by "full of shit".
Yeah, at this point I'm very Immune to Bruce Saying Something And Then Something Else Happening, so I keep my mind and options open. For all I know there's a longer cut, and we'll have to compare when we get release lengths. Until then, I have to work with facts until someone says something different.

In any event, onward with politeness!

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin
Maybe calling Lee Cronin "full of shit" is a little harsh since we don't know what else was on there, but it probably included a lot of extra stuff that was important... but not a part of the final theatrical cut of Rise they had locked in on.

Yep. As someone who has spent a lot of time in video editing software, I can say that the timeline in a video editing project being 2 and a half hours long does not necessarily mean the edited film is 2 and a half hours long. We don't know what could be in that timeline besides the finished film. We don't know if there's any empty space in that timeline that was omitted from the section pictured. Cronin says six months of editing have gone into that timeline, so it could be it isn't even final cut we're looking at there, but an assembly cut from earlier in the editing process (here's a good article explaining assembly cuts: https://collider.com/assembly-cut-explained/). Just pointing at the running time there and saying it proves they cut almost a full hour of footage from Cronin's hypothetical preferred cut to get to the theatrical cut is just silly.

I keep saying that because he keeps saying that in the press and Bruce keeps echoing him, which is frankly all I can do unless he admits there's a longer cut (that's apparently not more extreme and may just have character stuff, which I'd enjoy) or WB ponies it up. Like for all we know it could be an hour of character stuff that got chopped, which I would like to see, but either way no one's being forthcoming about it. They very well could be playing with the truth because heaven knows that's a thing they love to do with this franchise, but until it appears the only word I have to go on beyond his Tweet is what he has actually said.

This is the most reasonable approach to this. Every film shoots more than what makes to the final cut, so you can bet there are deleted scenes or at the very least bits that were removed from scenes that I've no doubt will surface eventually, but that absolutely does not mean Cronin's "picture lock" there ever included any of those and that we should look at it as undeniable proof that there is a secret director's cut they're "hiding" from us.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Yep. As someone who has spent a lot of time in video editing software, I can say that the timeline in a video editing project being 2 and a half hours long does not necessarily mean the edited film is 2 and a half hours long. We don't know what could be in that timeline besides the finished film. We don't know if there's any empty space in that timeline that was ommitted from the section pictured. Just pointing at the running time there and and saying it proves they cut almost a full hour of footage from Cronin's hypothetical preferred cut to get the theatrical cut is just silly.
I was going to say, I'm doing some amateur video editing in an attempt at learning things; some rough cuts can run for hours, and you never show them to any but your closest family members. Heck, there are four hour cuts out there of "Beaches" and an eight-hour cut of "Awakenings"; no one outside of the director's close circles were subjected to them before. I'd like to think we'll get an extended one, but we'll have to see.

This is the most reasonable approach to this. Every film shoots more than what makes to the final cut, so you can bet there are deleted scenes or at the very least bits that were removed from scenes that I've no doubt will surface eventually, but that absolutely does not mean Cronin's "picture lock" there ever included any of those and that we should look at it as undeniable proof that there is a secret director's cut they're "hiding" from us.

Yep. Like literally, all we can do is just report on what they say. Like sometimes it's BS because they want to obscure information or keep plot twists secret. Sometimes we know it's BS beforehand because we've seen it before, like Bruce's repeated Ash retirements and un-retirements. We don't know if the footage is extent, if there's some noise buffering it out, etc.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
Yes god forbid we swear in a forum about one of the most violent horror franchises of all time.

Swearing isn't a big issue here, and we are all adults (presumably) that are capable of having adult conversations about the most violent greatest movie franchise of all time... but I will say that I will pick up this Blu-Ray/DVD even if it is a bear bones release without hesitation and if and/or when they release another set for it similar to the old Boomstick Edition of Army of Darkness with a theatrical and Director's Cut included I will pick that up too.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
First ten minutes up and out for free.

Top Bottom