Would you be willing to just sell parts to folks like myself that are DIY once you get things up and running again? I think I just sent you a PM on another board about a grill.
Not sure I got any PM, which board? Anyway there are a fair few people who've made these in the past so it could have been someone else. Anyway, DIY kits is something I'm thinking about.
The main problem is that my saws are made from resin cast pieces. The guide bar, chain, top handle and wristband (along with all the nuts/bolts, screws & fittings) are all real, but the rest is cast resin. Why use resin casts when I could make each saw from scratch using a real saw? Given the increasing rarity of exact model real saws (20-30 years old now) and the further rarity of saws in decent condition, plus the cost of buying them and shipping each one to the UK, it's just not feasible, so resin casts are the only way I can make it work. Each section is carefully thought out and slots/screws/bolts into the others to allow everything to be dismantled again, rather than glueing everything together into one solid lump. There's no glue used anywhere in the saw actually.
Anyway, there are certain bits I could sell you or anyone else, such as the top wood/metal handle (and metal lid from my workshed saw), the side gill/heatsink, or the black side handle, which would fit an original Homelite XL saw, without any modification to the saw beyond what you would have had to do yourself anyway. My body section resin parts would be fairly useless, unless you had them all. So, if I did do a DIY kit with ALL the pieces needed, every single piece I use to make a saw done, that would be about 80% of the work done, only leaving final assembly and painting, so the price difference would be small.
One thing I am thinking about is doing a DIY Real Chainsaw Kit, that would be the couple of parts needed to turn a real Homelite XL saw into the real working chainsaw seen on screen (not the one ash puts his hand in).
That would be the side grill/heatsink, the wooden dowel pull-start, the black side handle (the top handle on the real saw would need some modification by you), and even the various paints need to paint a saw up like mine. That would still look really nice in a proper display, and could realistically be done by most people. Any thoughts?