HALLOWEEN 2018

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The trailer's out for the John Carpenter produced, musical scored and starring Jamie Lee Curtis returning as Grandma Laurie Strode's HALLOWEEN .... I enjoyed most of the other films (apart from Resurrection and that one with the mute girl) , most of them are gathering dust on VHS tapes on my dining room shelf but I'm interested in the idea that I/we have to pretend none of those stories happened (excluding Season Of The Witch of course) and just go with it that Michael Myers has come back for the real second night .. I'm not to keen on the British arsehole taunting Myers with his mask .. I'm looking forward to seeing him killed off ... until then ladies and gentlemen ? ... oh yes .. :cool:

DyD

Spinach Chin
This is looking a lot better than I expected. It might be referencing/repeating scenes from the first movie a bit too much for my tastes, but I'm digging the overall atmosphere. Michael looks great, I'm liking what they did with Laurie and that last bit with the closet door before the title card is just genius and perfectly executed.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
This looks really interesting and I'm 100 percent here for badass grandma Laurie Strode.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
This looks really interesting and I'm 100 percent here for badass grandma Laurie Strode.
The only criticism I've read about the trailer has been about the "I hate it when the characters are clearly talking to the audience instead of each other (the bit when the kids are walking and talking down the road about the Myers murder history) .. a fair observation but we can't have everything IMO ..

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky
I'm glad Rob Zombie is done with Halloween as everything he touches turn to crap, and even Carpenter called him out for making stuff up to get people talking instead of just making a good movie. It might be worth checking out once it hits Netflix.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Obviously I haven't seen this one yet but I'm going in with the attitude of "It's generic ? .. the original was the blueprint for the entire stalk and slash genre (if you ignore Peeping Tom and Psycho that is) , the HALLOWEEN copycats were generic, yes .. but this one's more than allowed to repeat cliches" .. I'd be disappointed to watch another 'edgy new take' although I did enjoy H20. It seems Laurie Strode's now Sarah Conner from T2 .. she knows the score even though the kids think she's crazy ..

edit: .. and where's original cinematographer Dean Cundey in this regathering ? .. skip to 1:49

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005678/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

... and Jamie Lee returning 40 years later ET mini clip

... and a bit more media babble

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I'm glad Rob Zombie is done with Halloween as everything he touches turn to crap, and even Carpenter called him out for making stuff up to get people talking instead of just making a good movie. It might be worth checking out once it hits Netflix.

JMO my only problem with the Zombie Halloweens were that they were...well, filled with Rob Zombie tropes, from trying to get the audience to identify with the killers in a sympathetic way to making Jason and Laurie trailer park residents with a saintly stripper mama and an abusive dad.

DyD

Spinach Chin
JMO my only problem with the Zombie Halloweens were that they were...well, filled with Rob Zombie tropes, from trying to get the audience to identify with the killers in a sympathetic way to making Jason and Laurie trailer park residents with a saintly stripper mama and an abusive dad.

Yeah, he tried to humanize Michael too much and ended up turning him into a real world serial killer cliche. In some ways, he made Michael the protagonist, which doesn't really work. Plus, there were all the "Rob Zombie-isms" in the cinematography and editing of the films, which certainly didn't help, but your mileage may vary. I feel that in some ways he took The Texas Chainsaw Massacre approach to remake Halloween. The results were... Not good.

Last edited:

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Yeah, he tried to humanize Michael too much and ended up turning him into a real world serial killer cliche. In some ways, he made Michael the protagonist, which doesn't really work. Plus, there were all the "Rob Zombie-isms" in the cinematography and editing of the films, which certainly didn't help, but your mileage may vary. I feel that in some ways he took The Texas Chainsaw Massacre approach to remake Halloween. The results were... Not good.
I honestly can't remember any of Rob Zombie's Halloween which is never a good sign.

Nick el Ass

Hero from the Sky

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

That is Rob's biggest problem is everything he does is just a rip off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre like House of 1000 Corpses. None the less, I was thinking about trying to go back and watch the entire series at some point because it has been a long time... but saw that James Rolfe the Angry Video Game Nerd did a video about how crazy the Halloween timeline is which scares me more than Michael Myers.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin

Totally Agree....this was the wrong franchise for him. He should have made a Texas chainsaw Massacre film instead. Maybe this could have been a good movie.

About the new Halloween 2018. The trailer looks very promising. The only thing that turn me off is another reboot which will f***ing up the time line even more.

Hope this movie will be freakin good to make me forget this.

gcaplan

S-Mart Clerk
Rob Zombie's remake I actually like a lot . He brought an entirely new take on the story . I understand why many hate his films but to me he made it his own . That said , obviously Carpenters movie is superior . It took the classy old fashioned scares where Zombie's did more shock and awe .

Am glad to have have his duology and ecstatic to see Halloween 2018 appear to be a return to form .

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
I also just realized i called Michael Meyers Jason. WHOOPS.

Totally Agree....this was the wrong franchise for him. He should have made a Texas chainsaw Massacre film instead. Maybe this could have been a good movie.

This is exactly how I feel. And honestly, i feel like Fede should have made an Exorcist remake instead of the Evil Dead one, but that's my O.

Skywalker1982

S-Mart Clerk
I have watched this damn trailer like 15x now and I still think the odds of the new Halloween movie being disappointing are HIGH.....VERY HIGH. According to what I'm seeing on the web, apparently TONS of people are easily amused, but not me. I have always been a huge fan of the original and it was truly a special film plus i enjoyed 2 3 4 and H2O yet i despise 5 and Resurrection as i thought 6 even in it's producer's cut with Rob Zombie's remake with sequel are lame, but the trailer for this one just has NO heart. Trust me, I want to love this movie as much as the 'next guy' and I will eventually see it when it comes to rent, but it just looks like a thrown together montage of Halloween easter eggs and call-backs with nostalgia wanking, NONE of which can OR should save a film. And honestly, it doesn't look much different than what Rob Zombie created with his remakes. So here's my million-dollar question. Why the hell is it so difficult for Hollywood to get things right? Ripping off previous movies is NOT impressive. What would be impressive is a little bit of thought and care in making a film to be proud of and that captured the look and feel of the original while NOT being a unoriginal stitched together copy. I may be a little harsh on it before it releases but I'm just not convinced that ANY more juice can be squeezed from the fruit that is the Halloween franchise. And another thing, what are the plans for the future after this? Do we really need to keep beating a dead horse? It seems that Hollywood is trying to kill off any goodness that is left in these franchises. I think it's time for someone to air-drop some crates of originality over Hollywood so they will stop this madness.

This looks like a lazy half-assed sequel, i have the REAL Halloween 2 from 1981 at home in my boxset i can watch at home for free. I'm not gonna pay to see this in theaters. I don't get why some horror fans want to see this, i just don't get it.

The whole opening of that new trailer is nearly the same damn scene in Halloween II(1981) a sequel that this film is ignoring. It's got Michael sneaking up on an older woman with curlers in her hair. This is more than just a homage here. This is a straight up rip off and a xerox. There should had been better ideas for a Halloween sequel than this rip-off sequel that steals from 1, 2, 4 and H2O than be it's own movie, although to be honest I would rather this film not have homages at all. Just do your own thing. Now someone had an idea for a detective one where it deals with a detective dealing after Michael.

And to me, it looked great from a cinematography standpoint, and it was nice to hear the original theme again, but the plot absolutely does not interest me at all. It's H40. I love Michael Myers and i love Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4 and H2O! to me H2O was THE LAST Halloween worth a damn and the STORY ENDED at the end for me and Michael DIED. Halloween Resurrection was an abomination as Halloween remake with it's sequel were lame as fuck, same for Halloween 5 which i thought was horrendous garbage and Halloween 6 was lame even in the producer's cut. The Last three Halloween movies made the character into a joke and this one will too, and i am sick of it.

I will give it a shot when it comes to rent or when it hits netflix as i'm not going to pay to see this in theaters as renting it is much better than paying for a money ticket as Universal won't get my money. But the fan glad handing worries me a lot. It screams of we don't have that much to add to the franchise, so here's a bunch of homages to make you happy. Just don't make anymore sequels. That's my advice. The more you make, the longer you keep this franchise sucking the life out of other horror projects and potential franchises. This is just like when Universal completely ran their Monsters franchise into the ground in the 30s/40s/50s, same for other iconic modern horror franchises like Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Child's Play, Scream, Saw, Hellraiser etc.

I don't need a fake Halloween 2, i've got the Scream Factory Halloween boxset with the REAL Halloween 2 from 1981 in the set i can watch at home for free and i'm gonna buy the steelbook re-issues of 2 and 3 with new 4K restorations to throw away the 2 and 3 discs from the boxset to replace them with the 4K restored versions and i can watch the actual Halloween 2 at home without having to pay for a movie ticket to see one lazy ass sequel. Lame trailer as it's nothing to get excited for or nothing new, it's just reheated leftovers for There is nothing fresh or new you can add to this franchise. It's dead. Digging up H20 and rehashing that plot and homaging the sequels is proof of this if you ask me.

If your like me who is sick of this shit of what's been done these beloved horror icons for the past 10 or 20 years even Michael being beaten to the ground and turning into joke then stop supporting it, it's like wrestling fans are like "i'm gonna keep watching RAW in the pay-per-view for shitty matches" stop. I'm like like Halloween III's Tom Atkins "Stop it, stop it, stop it STOP IT". Then don't go see the movie in theaters and just wait until it hits netflix or to rent, that's how your gonna send your message to studios that some of us are fed up with what's been done to this franchise for the last 17 years.

I say, let this franchise rest in peace! Carpenter should do better things like do something from an independent studio than a bigger studio that would fuck him over and independent studio is a better place for Carpenter to do different stuff. It's time to move on and make fresh new horror icons and new horror franchises.

Now Hell Fest looks like a hell of a lot of fun and has potential to be a fresh fun horror slasher film and make a new icon! now i'm gonna spend my money in theaters to see that instead of the sloppy second studio whore Halloween sequel. Now Hell Fest is the slasher film to see this year and not the new Halloween film, horror fans who are fed up with what's been done to Halloween and burned out on it should see Hell Fest instead and it would reward Lionsgate/CBS studios then it could become a potential fresh new franchise.

If you want to bring back Halloween, let it live on through comics, mercandise, appreal, re-issues of the old movies, streams of the old movies on hulu/amazon/netflix, toys, books and all that then bring it back from the dead on film as on film it's a zombie that needs to be shot in the head and buried.

Fuck this! Halloween is a DEAD franchise. Bury it. There's no need for this and NOBODY asked for this. Just these moronic, brain-washed horror fans who like any of the garbage Hollywood shills out. I don't give a fuck if people say I hate everything. Hate is GREAT, we need more hate! At least it's genuine and can't be faked. Hate for Star Wars (post Return of the Jedi), hate for SJWs, hate for nostalgia, hate for hack writers and directors, hate for every bad remake and reboot, and hate for these studio executives who greenlight these shitty movies and disrespect the actual moviegoers IE ME and some of US! Like Palpatine would say "Let the hate flow through you."

Go see Hell Fest instead and that feels like a breath of fresh air to bring old school style slasher back to theaters and should be a hit and make a new franchise that feels fresh than a dead one like Halloween.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
....Out of curiosity, do you have any friends or family who work for CBS studios?

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
The second trailer mentioned by Skywalker1982 above for the new HALLOWEEN (not directed by Carpenter this time but 'overseen' by him, Carpenter has provided the film's score again which is a massive plus) . Although I'm really looking forward to this, Michael Myers strolling around fully crowded streets and walking down an occupied driveway while making no effort at all to conceal himself in this trailer and with no one noticing or paying any attention to him at all is irritating me a bit and seems insulting to viewer's intelligence .. as far as I can tell so far from the trailers, he might as well be in a scene in this film where he's just walking through a crowded Heathrow Airport and no one sees him ? .. is it just me ?

The choice of overall producer for this is bitter sweet .. Malek Akkad is the son of Moustapha Akkad, the Muslim producer of the original 1978 HALLOWEEN who died in a terrorist attack during an Arab wedding celebration in 2005. This new film will now mark Malek's fifth of the series carrying on his dad's horror legacy.

Will Laurie die?,Will Michael die?, will both of them or neither of them die? .. some fans are speculating that perhaps Laurie's daughter or maybe Laurie herself will slip on the mask at the end of the film to become the new killer. We'll wait and see ..

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
@Swofty I think they're going to explain it away by having the portions in the trailer where he's strolling around masked take place on the actual day of Halloween. I think.

God I hope that's not the ending. I want Laurie to triumph! But I can also see it going that way.

Last edited:

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@Swofty I think they're going to explain it away by having the portions in the trailer where he's strolling around masked take place on the actual day of Halloween. I think.

OK then and so to be fair it has been 40 years since so new families on that street these days ... still, in the same neighbourhood ? .. I'll let that slide then, Halloween day/night/so a man wearing that mask doesn't stand out then or not. Maybe it isn't set in the same neighbourhood?.

I hope they both survive somehow as the credits roll to keep fighting .. and the trailer is freaking people out by showing Laurie's daughter walking down the road with her friends stating that Michael wasn't her Mom's brother .. maybe Laurie has always bullshited her daughter and Michael is still her brother, Laurie's just said that to protect her family? .. she certainly knows his name in the trailer although I suppose she would have found that out anyway .. so many questions!.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Oh man this looks good.

Top Bottom