Sam vs. some UK snobs on ITV circa '87

Re: Sam vs. UK on BBC circa '87

Hi  :) ...

Yep, we've posted this before but it's always worth re-posting for those that haven't seen it so thanks. Sam is incredibly patient in this footage  :cool ... I love the bit where Sam gave the exclusive that he was thinking about setting the third Evil Dead in England and the biased parts of the audience assumed he was being defensively sarcastic  :bigsmile ... even under attack he was still giving ...   

...btw, I think a fairer title for this thread other than Sam vs. UK on BBC circa '87 would be the one I'm changing it to.... not all us limeys are pompous idiots  :wink ........... not all the time anyway.

http://www.deadites.net/forums//general-discussion/central-weekend-video/

Further evidence of Sam being ballsy was told to me when I was researching for a college talk in the late 80's. I spoke on the phone with the ex Chief of Police who was happy to chat about the video nasty business to a student post retirement. He told me that when Sam heard the Department of Public Prosecutions were taking The Evil Dead to court, he took a flight to England but by the time he arrived at Snaresbrook Crown Court, jetlagged and waiting for the hearing ... young and eager to boldly square up to accusations of obscenity and defend his film in a foreign country ...... he fell asleep at the back of the waiting room  :). He was woken by a court clerk with the words "Mr. Raimi .. it is your film and not you that is on trial today" .... as it became a long process (too long to go into here), Sam flew back home later that day.
 
Re: Sam vs. UK on BBC circa '87

Oh, the title wasnt intendend to suggest racism/stereotyping. Just thought it was topically appropriate due to all the backlash ED1 got from UK rating system.

I loved the one comment he made, after being asked if hed let his children watch his film, he zinged back basically stating, " well, id like my children to choose what they want to like, instead of live in a society that tells them what to do" i thought that was very punk rock.
 
Re: Sam vs. UK on BBC circa '87

No worries mate  :wink... there were indeed a few that tried messing with Sam and other film makers in the UK back then but there were a lot more that weren't. The Evil Dead was never banned in Britain. Send SeeNoEvil a pm and he'll take you to Narnia and back on this topic  :) ..

edit: The UK ratings sytem back then chose to allow release of The Evil Dead. It's actually Mary Whitehouse your after but she's dead now. She worked alongside Margaret Thatcher's government .. 
 
I think that it is awful that they would be so set in the idea that its a bad film without looking through Sam Raimis perspective and I feel proud that the people of the UK could back up Mr. Raimi just like every fan on this site is doing just by clicking on or by going on these forms. Side not can not bloody wait for Army Of Darkness 2 I don't care if it takes another damn decade because I don't want it rushed and be terrible like everything Hollywood is spewing out.
 
I'm an old fart but it more so makes me smile that some fat kids with backpacks in Ohio can now go to a horror convention and pick from hundreds of Evil Dead collectibles, most of them blissfully unaware that where we were, and when we were, we could receive a criminal record and have our Evil Dead VHS confiscated and destroyed by the police .. I like to think of The Evil Dead (from the UK perspective) as a long distance runner that we gave a glass of lemonade to .. it was always going to get there either way.
 
I don't think this needs a new topic, this Evil Dead heavily featured mini video nasty documentary seems to fit here and is an interesting enough watch ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNawGIPLFHo
 
Top Bottom