Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

I gotta say, I really appreciate the continued level of thoughtful discourse this forum maintains. Y'all really think before you speak, which is so much nicer, even should I disagree, than the hot take doinks on Facebook.
Thank you! I've been here for centuries and Kain runs a smart, tight ship. I think we all pride ourselves on making it a good place for everyone no matter what they feel about each movie in question.
 
It's only been 5 days since I watched Burn and I can't think of many memorable things about it which isn't a good sign. I've only seen Rise once and I can still remember more about that film than Burn. Possessed grandma was cool but I remember feeling like I was watching a vampire movie instead of an Evil Dead one.

Now I think about it more, most of Burn was like watching the final Grandpa's house scenes from the superior 80's horror comedy film The Lost Boys.

I might have to re watch Burn for any comedy I might have missed. For example:

... the part where one of our un infected is trying to stab a deadite with the dagger but for no good or explained reason there's loads of identical looking daggers so our deadite says something like "Wrong one" .. so our hero picks up the next one while the deadite waits to be stabbed with the correct one? .. was that supposed to be funny? .. it just didn't make any sense at the time I was watching that scene.

I put that one in my intentional laugh pile. At least I hope he was trying to make us laugh with that one.
 
I put that one in my intentional laugh pile. At least I hope he was trying to make us laugh with that one.
As for a feminist angle and Burn being the first feminist entry in the franchise, I feel that the original The Evil Dead can claim that award:

Before The Evil Dead, the 70's were over flowing with terrified final female survivors running from large male maniacs. Laurie Strode running from Michael Myers, the final girls running from Jason Vorhees in the Friday the 13th films, Silent Night Deadly Night, Charles Bronson's Death Wish films, Sally Hardesty running from Leatherface, Ripley in the first ALIEN running from the alien etc etc ...

The Evil Dead came along and subverted all of that.

We were supposed to think Scotty was going to save everyone, What we got instead was a terrified final male this time called Ash who was running and screaming from three powerful evil women, his girlfriend, his sister, his mate's girlfriend ...

So in that sense, The Evil Dead, if we're instead watching it through social studies eyes can be argued to be ahead of it's time. Even when Scotty re-animates as a deadite at the end, he's feeble in comparison and doesn't last as long as a deadite as the women do.

Off the top of my head, the only other horror films that have a female monster kicking everyone's ass are Night Of The Demon 2, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, MISERY and Peter Jackson's DEAD ALIVE.

In Within the Woods, a possessed Bruce was stalking Ellen. In The Evil Dead, that switched to a possessed Ellen stalking Bruce. A social studies group could ask: was Raimi all about equality by empowering women in The Evil Dead, was the Evil Dead misogynistic and a mirror of 70's western men scared of feminism or are we all reading too much into it and did Raimi just pick the best actors for each role for each story the same way George Romero selected his actors for his films?.
 
Last edited:
As for a feminist angle and Burn being the first feminist entry in the franchise, I feel that the original The Evil Dead can claim that award:

Before The Evil Dead, the 70's were over flowing with terrified final female survivors running from large male maniacs. Laurie Strode running from Michael Myers, the final girls running from Jason Vorhees in the Friday the 13th films, Silent Night Deadly Night, Charles Bronson's Death Wish films, Sally Hardesty running from Leatherface, Ripley in the first ALIEN running from the alien etc etc ...

The Evil Dead came along and subverted all of that.

We were supposed to think Scotty was going to save everyone, What we got instead was a terrified final male this time called Ash who was running and screaming from three powerful evil women, his girlfriend, his sister, his mate's girlfriend ...

So in that sense, The Evil Dead, if we're instead watching it through social studies eyes can be argued to be ahead of it's time. Even when Scotty re-animates as a deadite at the end, he's feeble in comparison and doesn't last as long as a deadite as the women do.

Off the top of my head, the only other horror films that have a female monster kicking everyone's ass are Night Of The Demon 2, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, MISERY and Peter Jackson's DEAD ALIVE.

In Within the Woods, a possessed Bruce was stalking Ellen. In The Evil Dead, that switched to a possessed Ellen stalking Bruce. A social studies group could ask: was Raimi all about equality by empowering women in The Evil Dead, was the Evil Dead misogynistic and a mirror of 70's western men scared of feminism or are we all reading too much into it and did Raimi just pick the best actors for each role for each story the same way George Romero selected his actors for his films?.

This is true - arguments have also been made about Evil Dead 2 and AOD (I, the Sheila stan, would BE the person to make this claim but yes).
 
The New York Post has an... interesting headline and article in regards to the Evil Dead Burn attraction coming to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights this year...
Universal Studios parks build haunted house attraction based on a ‘90s cult classic horror
So right off the bat they've got the decade wrong...
Universal Studios is adding a new haunted house to its Halloween Horror Nights lineup, rewarding nostalgic horror-film superfans with an experience from the Evil Dead franchise. The series released its sixth film, Evil Dead Burn, on Jul. 10 and Universal’s haunted house will be inspired by the film’s cabin and specific scenes.
Guests will tiptoe through bloodcurdling rooms inside the family’s secluded vacation cabin in the woods. Visitors will navigate the winding hallways of the house until they encounter “Deadites” lurking in the shadows.
Ah yes, the iconic cabin from Evil Dead Burn...
The original Evil Dead trilogy includes The Evil Dead (1981), Evil Dead II (1987), and Army of Darkness (1992). The franchise has since continued with two standalone spin-offs: Evil Dead (2013) and Evil Dead Rise (2026).
According to the NY Post, 2026 has already happened three years ago... or it's been one year that's lasted the length of three... or it could be a typo.

Now I don't want to accuse the author of using AI, but I have the feeling that something got severely lost in their research for this article that very simple quick Google searches could have rectified. I get that not everyone's a fan (and it seems as though this writer writes for the NY Post travel section), but come on, people.
 
Thank you! I've been here for centuries and Kain runs a smart, tight ship. I think we all pride ourselves on making it a good place for everyone no matter what they feel about each movie in question.

I've been here either actively posting or silently lurking for over 20 years now and I'm well aware I've been... Well, let's say, "passionately negative" about everything they've done with the ED property since the 2013 remake. The fact that to this day I still haven't been kicked out and never even got a warning to hold back my opinions while a lot of others who didn't seem to get the vibes around here haven't been so lucky, fills me with pride and also a sense of belonging... That even though I might sometimes play the part of the resident grumpy party-pooper around here, I've been able to express my negative opinions in a thoughtful, adult manner and that most other forum members around here have also been thoughtful and adult in dealing with different opinions and expressing said disagreement. This is a true oasis among most online fandom nooks. Just wanted to express my gratitude and say this place and all of you are awesome.
 
The New York Post has an... interesting headline and article in regards to the Evil Dead Burn attraction coming to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights this year...

So right off the bat they've got the decade wrong...


Ah yes, the iconic cabin from Evil Dead Burn...

According to the NY Post, 2026 has already happened three years ago... or it's been one year that's lasted the length of three... or it could be a typo.

Now I don't want to accuse the author of using AI, but I have the feeling that something got severely lost in their research for this article that very simple quick Google searches could have rectified. I get that not everyone's a fan (and it seems as though this writer writes for the NY Post travel section), but come on, people.
You should know better to use the NY Post as a credible news source. :ROFLMAO:
 
Good evening, everyone.

I saw Evil Dead Burn, and I have to admit I came away a little disappointed. The film fell short of my expectations.

I'm French, and I really loved Sébastien Vaniček's previous film, Infested (Vermines).
I enjoyed that debut a lot (and that's saying something, because I usually hate spider movies). I thought the tension and the character dynamics were handled really well.



I'll start with what I liked about the film.

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised that it tried to distance itself from the usual Evil Dead formula: no Necronomicon, no incantation, and no chainsaw.

I also liked some of the visual ideas, especially the scene (unfortunately already shown in the trailer) where the camera follows Alice while chaos erupts all around her.

Overall, I wasn't bored. I had a fairly entertaining time.

Now, onto what I didn't enjoy as much:

The film felt caught between different tones. It seemed to struggle with trying to be genuinely scary one moment and funny the next, without ever fully succeeding at either.

The Deadite designs are really bland. Traditionally, Deadites have exaggerated makeup that distorts and amplifies their facial features. None of that is present here. Instead, they just look like generic possession victims, with very little creativity behind the designs. Pale skin, colored contact lenses... and that's about it. Sadly, I don't think any of these Deadites will earn a place among the franchise's most iconic monsters.

Alice goes through essentially the exact same coming-of-age journey as Maia and Beth, except I found her story much less emotionally engaging. The formula is starting to wear thin.

The "new" Kandarian Dagger made me sigh more than anything else. I get the Indiana Jones reference, but the whole scene felt pretty clunky. I also don't understand why they briefly show the classic dagger design just to establish that this one is a fake.

William's design at the end of the film is awful, in my opinion. Not only did I dislike the design itself, but the CGI animation looked terrible in motion. That was the moment the movie completely lost me. It's a shame they spent the entire film building him up as the ultimate villain, only for him to show up looking like the love child of Imhotep and Vecna.

Finally, the two post-credit scenes. The first one with the grandmother felt completely pointless. As for Ellie's scene, it honestly came across like a bad joke. It's not that I dislike the character, but bringing her back without any explanation whatsoever left me completely baffled.

I'm a little sad that Evil Dead Burn ended up being, in my opinion, the weakest entry in the franchise.
 
Extended thoughts with spoilers time!

I knew this was going to be a controversial, even unpopular Evil Dead the second we smash-cut from a man running a Deadite over to an ass twerking in a club. It's not that it's just mean-spirited with its violence, Sebastien's POV is Very French. It's street French patois, complete with rap, club culture, and dramatic monologues about smoking. I don't mean this as an insult, it's just very dry and sarcastic and takes little seriously - which is why his tone was a bad fit for what's basically a feminist domestic violence drama. I lived to see a feminist Evil Dead movie! I'm so happy! Why aren't we hiring women to write and direct these again? In any event this one desperately needed an audit by a stern third party because with one more rewrite it might have been great. But it is not. Sigh.

The Good

* The mother's arc effected me in a way I didn't expect. She is stuck in a hell that isn't of her own choosing long before Will's death; put there by her father's tragic, failed attempt at protecting them all, glued there by her sister's death (which is unnecessary because it effects nothing) and then her mother's spiritual death. Her only joy in life are her two sons, one of whom failed to launch, the other who launched but has translated his father's anger into ugly abuse. No wonder she follows the false promise to her given by the Deadites that she'll continue to have purpose and a life if she just gives them the dagger.

* Some of the humor worked. My favorite moment was them playing Alice and Will's wedding song at the funeral and then doing extreme telenova zooms, only to be brought back to reality by the coffin falling off the trolley.

* The kiss was fantastic and another example of dry humor.

* Thya was a great red herring heroine, and the best of the Deadites. She had a quality like Linda Blair in Reposessed. Yes, this is a compliment.

* I liked Alice as a protagonist. I like that she spent very, very little time cowering in the corner. I suppose the movie's breakneck pacing helped this,. And I'm laughing at us getting a blatantly anti-motherhood film after Rise. YEAH FUCK THEM KIDS! SECOND EVER WOO GIRL HEROINE!

The Bad:

* The prologue and the post-credit scenes are both painfully stupid and naked attempts from the studio to set up continuity with Burn and get asses in the seats. It didn't work well enough to support these choices. Enough with this random yahoos dying and it meaning nothing in the prologue! I'm not impressed! I don't care! And what, suddenly Ellie is a serial child murderer? The incantation was enough to turn her from ashes into a Deadite? It was blatant, insecure pandering all the way.

*When your pace is so breakneck you never take a breath, sometimes that's good for the pacing, sometimes it causes Bad Giggles. That's all I've gotta say!

*The lore additions make next to no freaking sense at all. We're set in the same world as Rise, this uses the same infection point as Rise, with a Deadite using the same incantation that infected everyone in Rise. And suddenly the only thing that REALLY kills Deadites is a Kandarian dagger we've never seen before? I know this was an attempted adaptation of Evil Dead 2 lore, that KDs DO kill Deadites, but it makes no fucking sense when our last Deadite died via woodchipper, Ash has killed multiple Deadites with Boom Headshotting, etc. And we're in the same world as Original Recipe Evil Dead via that clipping. Saying Deadite infestation is just a matter of willpower is also a huge insult to all the characters who've come before, especially because we just killed a bunch of kids in the last movie. It's just a flu! you can shake it off! I laughed my ass off at Old Pappy Deadite To Be coughing his way into the grave.

* The movie CONTRADICTS ITS OWN LORE MID-STROKE. After all the heavy establishment that bodily fluids will turn you into a Deadite (saliva does it twice - Susan and Polly, a touch/scratch twice (Edgar and the mid-credit lady), presumably Joseph gets it via inhaling Thya's blood, Incantation takes out Will, Thya gets it via penlike stabbing), Alice inherits more plot armor than Ash ever wore. She got stabbed by a piece of glass thanks to a Deadite, takes Thya's blood to the eye, and is stabbed in the freaking ear with a pen that already had infected blood on it AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO HER. Also if only a dagger can kill these super special Deadites, how was Joseph able to bludgeon Thya to death with the top of a dishwasher?!

*We had a lot of good or intended laughs, and then the bad laughs. I couldn't stop cackling at them showing the McGuffin Pen over and over again. WE GET IT SV YOU'VE SEEN EVIL DEAD.

* None of the Alzihmer's related humor was funny at all. I got one laugh out of any of it and that was from Polly sitting there listening to the family fight and firmly saying Thya shouldn't have stolen her money.

* What was the point of the ankle thing? Was it symbolic about how Alice was being restricted by connection to the family? Why did it lead nowhere?

* Will the Vecna CGI skeleton Deadite was the lamest final antagonist we've had since the abomination. He was not scary.

* Actually not one second of this movie scared me. It was gross and tense, sure, but I was barely grossed out and never scared.

* None of the Deadites are particularly memorable except for Thya. I know they wanted Pappy Headshot to be memorable, but nope.

* None of the dialogue is super memorable either. I suppose 'don't turn a deaf ear' is going to be the catch phrase from this one?

* Joseph's "to be a man you must taste blood" arc is a total waste of time.

* If you're going to make me sit through a dog getting violently killed and turned into a Deadite, at least have the dog do cool shit. This one just rehashes Cujo. Why not have it spew invective?

So yeah, slightly above OG Evil Dead for me, but not topping Rise. I cared about the characters which is an important factor here, but it needed another rewrite. Perhaps Bruce being less involved with this one took it down a peg or two for me?

Curious what the rest of your ranking is? I don't know if you've posted it in this thread before
 
Forbes is now saying August 11th for the VOD release date. I won't post the link, but you can Google it. I have a feeling it's another media site speculating for clicks. Thank goodness for ad-blockers. I guess WB won't officially announce the VOD date until end of July to avoid hurting their already low box office numbers.
Evil.Dead_.Burn-4K.UHD_.and_.Blu-ray.Artwork.jpg

From the Press Release: Evil Dead Burn, the franchise’s most savage and terrifying ride to date, from New Line Cinema and writer/director Sébastien Vaniček and writer Florent Bernard (“Infested”), debuts digitally at home in the U.S. and Canada on August 4.

Evil Dead Burn stars Souheila Yacoub, Tandi Wright, Hunter Doohan, Luciane Buchanan, Erroll Shand and Maude Davey.

On August 4, Evil Dead Burn will be available at home on participating digital platforms, including Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Fandango and more.
On September 22, Evil Dead Burn will be available to own on 4K UHD™, Blu-ray™, and DVD from online and physical retailers. Evil Dead Burn will also continue to be available in high definition and standard definition from participating digital retailers.
 
Curious what the rest of your ranking is? I don't know if you've posted it in this thread before

Gladly! Best to worst:
AOD
ED2
Rise
ED OG Recipe
Burn
ED 2013
 
Good evening, everyone.

I saw Evil Dead Burn, and I have to admit I came away a little disappointed. The film fell short of my expectations.

I'm French, and I really loved Sébastien Vaniček's previous film, Infested (Vermines).
I enjoyed that debut a lot (and that's saying something, because I usually hate spider movies). I thought the tension and the character dynamics were handled really well.



I'll start with what I liked about the film.

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised that it tried to distance itself from the usual Evil Dead formula: no Necronomicon, no incantation, and no chainsaw.

I also liked some of the visual ideas, especially the scene (unfortunately already shown in the trailer) where the camera follows Alice while chaos erupts all around her.

Overall, I wasn't bored. I had a fairly entertaining time.

Now, onto what I didn't enjoy as much:

The film felt caught between different tones. It seemed to struggle with trying to be genuinely scary one moment and funny the next, without ever fully succeeding at either.

The Deadite designs are really bland. Traditionally, Deadites have exaggerated makeup that distorts and amplifies their facial features. None of that is present here. Instead, they just look like generic possession victims, with very little creativity behind the designs. Pale skin, colored contact lenses... and that's about it. Sadly, I don't think any of these Deadites will earn a place among the franchise's most iconic monsters.

Alice goes through essentially the exact same coming-of-age journey as Maia and Beth, except I found her story much less emotionally engaging. The formula is starting to wear thin.

The "new" Kandarian Dagger made me sigh more than anything else. I get the Indiana Jones reference, but the whole scene felt pretty clunky. I also don't understand why they briefly show the classic dagger design just to establish that this one is a fake.

William's design at the end of the film is awful, in my opinion. Not only did I dislike the design itself, but the CGI animation looked terrible in motion. That was the moment the movie completely lost me. It's a shame they spent the entire film building him up as the ultimate villain, only for him to show up looking like the love child of Imhotep and Vecna.

Finally, the two post-credit scenes. The first one with the grandmother felt completely pointless. As for Ellie's scene, it honestly came across like a bad joke. It's not that I dislike the character, but bringing her back without any explanation whatsoever left me completely baffled.

I'm a little sad that Evil Dead Burn ended up being, in my opinion, the weakest entry in the franchise.

Honestly, that was why I was so excited about him doing Burn; Infested had just the right tone and feeling for an Evil Dead piece and I have a feeling the studio reared their ugly heads at some point here.

I think they should've gone full out with it being a dark comedy. The bits involving Alice's physical and emotional abuse by Will are good, but the tone is all over the place. The movie really does suffer from not having an 'iconic' deadite. The Grandmother and Thya come closest. And YEs the dagger thing felt like a dumb rip-off. None of them do anything particularly iconic either. I think they're running out of deadly solvents for people to chug at this point. They tried with Papa Headshot, but well.
 
Last edited:
Gladly! Best to worst:
AOD
ED2
Rise
ED OG Recipe
Burn
ED 2013

Thanks! It's been incredibly interesting to see people posting their rankings across the internet because they're all so incredibly different. I guess that's just a testament to this franchise, that even though we may have gripes with some of the entries, they're still resonating with people.
 
I'm actually thinking of starting a tier list thread for rankings.

This would be really cool. They were all over Facebook the first week after Burn's release, and I enjoyed looking at every single one of 'em. Even the ones that were completely opposite of mine
 
Top Bottom