Evil Dead Franchise Tier List Thread

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Joined
Jun 11, 2015
Location
NYC
I wanted to start a thread ranking the Evil Dead franchise, including films, series, and video games.

Here's my tier list:

ed_tier_list.png


You can make your own with our Tiermaker template. You can upload and share your tier list with Imgur. Be sure to right-click on your Imgur image and select "copy the image address" instead of posting the share link.
 
Last edited:
Haven't played any of the other games and don't know what the thing you have as first in the D row is…?

(I'm also missing Evil Dead: The Musical… unless THAT's the thing I'm confused about?)

swHgVu0.png
 
Last edited:
bqtFsut.png


Written ranking below, minus the games because I haven't played the old ones in years. Evil Dead: The Game was fantastic, though. One of my favorite games I've ever played.

Evil Dead 2- Perfection. Everything I want in a horror movie, and the reason I became a fan. I watch it every October.

Army of Darkness- Superb. Love the humor, love Ash in this one. Not my favorite because it's a bit Disney at times, which I'm fine with. But not better than ED2 for me.

The Evil Dead OG- Awesome stuff, if not a bit raw. But nothing will ever beat the OG trilogy for me, and I admit my bias. Still, it's a great watch.

AvED Season 3- The show had faults, but I'll take Ash in the franchise over anything without him. This was easily my favorite season.

AvED Season 1- Showed promise but didn't hold up its end of the bargain in several areas.

AvED Season 2- So much wasted potential. Still, there are certain scenes in this season that were special. I obviously loved Ashy Slashy

Within the Woods- This one is tough to rank. Rough and raw, but as above, I'll take anything with the OG crew over the new stuff.

Evil Dead 2013- I wanted to HATE this movie, but it grows on me every time I watch it. Mia is awesome.

Evil Dead Burn- It had problems. For sure. But I kind of like that, for whatever reason. It feels like the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, and I'm always drawn to those movies.

Evil Dead Rise- I like it more every time I watch it, just like 2013. But it's flawed. Basically a showcase for Ellie and Beth, and I love both of them. Still, it's a movie I find watching periodically.

Love the games, too. Might do a Youtube gameplay watch of them soon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's The Evil Dead Commodore 64 game.
I own that C64 cassette but I never owned a C64 computer as a kid (I had a Spectrum 48K instead) .. CRASH magazine called us 'Speccys' and ZAP! magazine called their players 'Commies' .. Palace Software also released The Evil Dead game on the B Side of their cassette for a game called CAULDRON. I never played either version back in the day but I've played the C64 version on an online simulator since and it's a really clunky and basic game.

If you own that cassette, Palace Pictures poster artist Graham Humphrys also did the inside art design of the cassette sleeve. When I get a second, for anyone who hasn't ever seen the inside of the C64 cassette sleeve, I'll take some pics of that stuff and post them here.

edit: this should really be in collectables instead but here we go anyway:

acomed001.jpgacomed003.jpgacomed002.jpg
acomed004.jpg
acomed005.jpg
acomed006.jpg
 
Last edited:
Coming back with mine soon!

@Kain , can we get tiles for the musical and for Poker Nights?
 
My decidedly low-tech tier list:

Groovy: Evil Dead (2013), The Evil Dead (1981)
A:
B:
C: Army of Darkness (1992), Evil Dead Rise (2023)
D: Evil Dead II (1987), Evil Dead Burn (2026)

The Evil Dead (1981) was my introduction to the franchise.

One thing I'd be curious to see added to everyone's tier list: Which Evil Dead movie was your first?

I think that makes these rankings even more interesting. The original movie isn't necessarily your original Evil Dead. The first one you saw is the movie that introduced you to the franchise and probably helped shape what you expect an Evil Dead movie to be.

For example, with Friday the 13th, Part V was my first one, so that movie has a very different place in the series for me than it probably would have if I'd started with Part I and watched them in order.

I'd be really curious to see if there's any connection between that and everyone's rankings.

And if I'm the only one who's curious about this, feel free to ignore me.
 
My decidedly low-tech tier list:

Groovy: Evil Dead (2013), The Evil Dead (1981)
A:
B:
C:
Army of Darkness (1992), Evil Dead Rise (2023)
D: Evil Dead II (1987), Evil Dead Burn (2026)

The Evil Dead (1981) was my introduction to the franchise.

One thing I'd be curious to see added to everyone's tier list: Which Evil Dead movie was your first?

I think that makes these rankings even more interesting. The original movie isn't necessarily your original Evil Dead. The first one you saw is the movie that introduced you to the franchise and probably helped shape what you expect an Evil Dead movie to be.

For example, with Friday the 13th, Part V was my first one, so that movie has a very different place in the series for me than it probably would have if I'd started with Part I and watched them in order.

I'd be really curious to see if there's any connection between that and everyone's rankings.

And if I'm the only one who's curious about this, feel free to ignore me.
I think you need to explain a bit more about why you're putting Evil Dead II to D tier.

If this was a bar, the jukebox would suddenly stop playing and everybody would be silently looking at you.
 
I think you need to explain a bit more about why you're putting Evil Dead II to D tier.

If this was a bar, the jukebox would suddenly stop playing and everybody would be silently looking at you.
Fair point. I knew that one might get me into trouble here.

I started with The Evil Dead and absolutely loved how dark, nasty and genuinely scary it was. So when I watched Evil Dead II, I expected the same thing – only more of it. Instead, suddenly I was watching something that felt much more like a horror comedy.

That's really my main problem with it. I don't think Evil Dead II is a badly made movie at all. I just never connected with that change in tone. I wanted to be afraid of the Deadites, not party with them.

I have a similar problem with Terminator 2. In the first movie, the Terminator is this terrifying, unstoppable killing machine. Then the sequel turns that same image into the good guy who isn't even allowed to kill anyone. I understand why people love that idea – it just doesn't work particularly well for me.

So putting Evil Dead II in D isn't me saying it's a terrible movie. It's me saying that it's where the franchise moved away from what I personally loved about the first film.

That's exactly why I find it so interesting to know which movie people started with – I think your first encounter with a franchise can shape what you expect from everything that follows.

Hopefully the jukebox can start playing again now.
 
I think I get that because I have a similar problem with Army of Darkness. Though I would argue that ED II still is pretty scary and the fact that sometimes you don't know if you should laugh or scream makes it that much more intense.

Maybe try give it another shot?
 
I think I get that because I have a similar problem with Army of Darkness. Though I would argue that ED II still is pretty scary and the fact that sometimes you don't know if you should laugh or scream makes it that much more intense.

Maybe try give it another shot?
That's actually a fair comparison with Army of Darkness.
Maybe our line between horror and comedy is just in a different place.

I also understand what you mean about not knowing whether to laugh or scream. I can absolutely see how that combination could make the horror even more intense. For me, though, it seems to have the opposite effect: once the comedy kicks in, I stop being afraid of what's happening. It doesn't add to the horror for me, it takes some of the threat away.

And yes, maybe I really should give Evil Dead II another shot. I have to admit, it's a bit of a hurdle for me precisely because I didn't enjoy it that much the last time. But I'm pretty sure the time for another rewatch will come.

By the way, now I'm especially curious: which Evil Dead movie was your first?
 
And yes, maybe I really should give Evil Dead II another shot. I have to admit, it's a bit of a hurdle for me precisely because I didn't enjoy it that much the last time. But I'm pretty sure the time for another rewatch will come.
I think you might like it more the second time around because now you know what you're getting yourself into.
By the way, now I'm especially curious: which Evil Dead movie was your first?
Honestly I'm not sure anymore since I was WAY too young to watch them, but it was definitely either TED or ED II, more likely TED.
 
Top Bottom