Ash Vs Evil Dead 02 03: Last Call Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
@Hurley - my big question RE the summoning scene is why did they need to re-summon it when the book was already active enough to bring that body back to life?  It was all fairly tropey mid 80's slasher stuff so I was semi-willing to overlook it but this whole 'the evil is there whenever we need to to be here because Reasons' stuff is annoying.  

Because the Evil's behaviour is a bit non sequential throughout the series. First Ash wakes the Evil up, which then not only possesses a few people to find and attack him, but also sets a trap for him through Kelly even BEFORE she actually joins him (Kelly and Ash had literally one conversation together at that point and it didn't end well – wouldn't it make more sense to set the trap trough Pablo?), then the Evil completely looses track of Ash, just so we could have the Eligos story, and then it chases them on the road before they hide at Brujo's.

Now it is suggested that the Evil dwells in Elk Grove, which makes sense: the sheriff notices some weird shit going on and there is a Deadite walking around dating Ash's father and waiting for Ash's arrival... That's all fine with me. But if Evil is already active, what difference does reading from the Book make (not only that, but reading the same passage)? Wouldn't it be more interesting to read something else, so that something else could happen? Come on, people, we have a bigass book from Hell written in human blood with hundreds of different spells. Anything could happen!

When we were discussing the first season last year, somebody mentioned that this show lacks a decent story bible that would set up strong rules for the entire fictional world. I think this right here is a good example of that.
 
I found this post on reddit to be quite interesting and i'd thought i'd let you guys see it and let me get your thoughts on it. 

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]daturapiss 8 points 18 hours ago [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=small]Monomyth - it's a blueprint used since the dawn of man. There's basic motifs that show up during the duration of the hero's journey. Two that come to mind are the atonement with the father and the apotheosis - that is the hero coming to terms with his father, which more times than not ends with the death of the father/father figure but concludes the relationship and shows that the hero has gained some insight into being a human.

And the apotheosis, which i'm not sure if ash has done it yet, but the it's a fancy word for death and resurrection - two examples i can think of is guardians of the galaxy and how to train your dragon. Both have the death and resurrection, but the actual examples are innumerable, come to think of it, how to train your dragon 2 has the atonement with the father as well.

I believe the hero's journey/monomyth is actually used in modern screen writing because it works. It's worked since the epic of giglamesh, and it works today - star wars, the original, completely based on the monomyth/the hero's journey as described by Joseph Campbell.
Interesting shit to keep an eye out when watching tv/movies/reading.
[/font][/size]


Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/AshVsEvilDead/comments/57uijv/ash_vs_evil_dead_2x03_last_call_episode_discussion/d8v61nb


If what this guy is pointing out is to be believed maybe we'll start to see ash turn the other cheek for the rest of this season and we get to see him gradually become less of who he is right now, maybe the death/resurrection part will happen in the asylum episode ? 

Plus bruce has been saying this in interviews since the press tour that ash is going on a hero's journey this season, plus mentioning the authors name as well, so i guess we hit one of the points of his journey this season.

Here's a bonus link you guys can check out if you wanna investigate this further.

http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm#Heroine
 
Gallery for ep 4 has been updated with new photos !

Source : http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery4/gallery.htm


i have to say some of the imagery in this gallery is pretty awesome, here's a couple of them. 

[img=300x200]http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery4/hires/14.jpg[/img]

[img=300x200]http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery4/hires/19.jpg[/img]

and one last bonus photo. 

[img=300x200]http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery4/hires/16.jpg[/img]


Source : http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery4/gallery.htm
 
Ok, coming in a bit late this week... Don't have much to say about this episode, really.

The stuff with the car? Other than the unnecessary penis stuff and re-reading of the book for no reason whatsoever, it was top notch. Great editing, great effects, original antics (the way the car started moving like an animal and the hub cap trick were awesome) and it was a nice, well balanced mix of horror and comedy that was successful enough with both. It really had an Evil Dead vibe to it. Everything else in the episode? It only reminded of why I dislike this show so much. I couldn't stand the party scenes. I really want to punch this Ash in the face. I'll never stop complaining about what they're doing to the character. Terrible one liners and characterization. The mechanical bull scene was just as embarrassing as I thought it would be. I love Ted Raimi and his performance was good enough... I can't stand Chet, though. Only another character that's there to reinforce the mistakes they're doing with Ash and mirror him in every way. I hope he dies soon. Although they finally seem to have worked on the pacing issues they had in season one, I hated the cross-cutting between the car and the party. It caused some really awkward tonal shifts. There was no time to adjust to either environment before it would jump back into the other. There was no reason to cut back and forth so much, and I feel it did a disservice to both environments.

And then they did it. They killed Brock three episodes in. In the most ridiculous, stupid way possible. And played it for laughs, of course. The minute he started giving his speech while standing in the middle of the street, I knew he was getting run over by the car. The worst part? I actually LIKED the way they resolved their relationship and a lot of their exchanges this episode, even though it was padded with a lot of crappy writing like the mechanical bull and bathroom stuff. Yes, it was a little bit of a cliche, but it is a cliche because it works and it was very well acted by both of them. The moment Brock started defending Ash was actually very sweet. Too bad it wasn't developed enough to reach its full potential, since they felt the need to spend half of the character's screen time in the show making crude, overwritten and half-assed jokes. That was so rushed and crammed into the last moments of the episode that it almost lost all of the emotional impact it could have. And then they throw all the emotional impact it still had out the window by turning the death scene into a sight gag (and an obvious one, at that). I don't know why I still get surprised by how tone deaf and senseless this show can get.
 
Hurley said:
MaidOfKandar said:
@Hurley - my big question RE the summoning scene is why did they need to re-summon it when the book was already active enough to bring that body back to life?  It was all fairly tropey mid 80's slasher stuff so I was semi-willing to overlook it but this whole 'the evil is there whenever we need to to be here because Reasons' stuff is annoying.  

Because the Evil's behaviour is a bit non sequential throughout the series. First Ash wakes the Evil up, which then not only possesses a few people to find and attack him, but also sets a trap for him through Kelly even BEFORE she actually joins him (Kelly and Ash had literally one conversation together at that point and it didn't end well – wouldn't it make more sense to set the trap trough Pablo?), then the Evil completely looses track of Ash, just so we could have the Eligos story, and then it chases them on the road before they hide at Brujo's.

Now it is suggested that the Evil dwells in Elk Grove, which makes sense: the sheriff notices some weird shit going on and there is a Deadite walking around dating Ash's father and waiting for Ash's arrival... That's all fine with me. But if Evil is already active, what difference does reading from the Book make (not only that, but reading the same passage)? Wouldn't it be more interesting to read something else, so that something else could happen? Come on, people, we have a bigass book from Hell written in human blood with hundreds of different spells. Anything could happen!

When we were discussing the first season last year, somebody mentioned that this show lacks a decent story bible that would set up strong rules for the entire fictional world. I think this right here is a good example of that.

I'm guessing the logic is that the book's supposed to be in control of its own destiny - not the human reading it.  Which makes even less sense, because it went dormant for 30 years.  I know the show's flipped off logic this season in general but base ground rules are a good thing.

@DYD - YESS  I agree!


ETA: I was wondering why the lighting choices looked familiar for Episode 4 - Michael J. Bassett's work on the first cabin episode looked like this and guess who's directing that one!
 
MaidOfKandar said:
ETA: I was wondering why the lighting choices looked familiar for Episode 4 - Michael J. Bassett's work on the first cabin episode looked like this and guess who's directing that one!

Michael J. Basset is my favourite creator from the first season, and not only as a director, but even more so as a writer, because he also wrote the first cabin episode (which is in my opinion still the best episode from the entire series). Do we know if he also wrote any episodes for the second season?
 
Just watched this episode last night and it was a mixed bag, but mostly great.
 
The delta sequences were really fun. I was dreading this plot point initially, expecting a slew of lazy car chases, but the manner by which they found ways to anthropomorphize the car, and have it interact with the teens like a slasher villian, were above my expectations. I don’t think I’ve seen that hub cap gag before. My girlfriend’s not an ED fan but has been watching the series with me, and has been able to tolerate everything they’ve come up with so far, but after the hubcap gag she turned away every subsequent scene involving the delta.
 
Ted, why am I not yet loving (or even liking) Chet? The formula seems to be there on paper, but on screen it isn’t working for me on screen at this point. Get Bruce and Ted together IRL and it’s magic. Could be that I’m used to seeing Ted play less cocky characters. Maybe it’s early yet to make a judgment on this one?
 
The party scene was a bit needless and protracted. Maybe ketamine is supposed to be important later, otherwise it didn’t make sense to me why it was so prominent. I guess they needed an excuse to bring everyone into the same room, but for me “throw a party” felt like the least creative setting after opening the season with one. The mechanical bull stuff was meh, and I wish they had made Brock less of a perv. In every interview Bruce has all this respect for him, but to me every dirty old man moment felt demeaning to Mr. Majors.
 
The highlight for me, was the beginning of the Kelly/Ruby bond. Whenever Dana’s given scenes in her comfort zone which emphasize her emotional range, she’s spectacular. This was hands down the best I’ve seen her so far. I hope the writer’s continue to write to the actor’s strengths.
 
Like everyone else, I was hoping for more time to reconcile with Brock, but I think that was the point. They set us up wanting to spend more time with the character after only 3 eps, which is why we’re all talking about it now. Imagine how much worse it would be if we were all completely apathetic about it? Though some feel the moment was being telegraphed, I wasn’t paying close enough attention to see it coming, and was immersed in Brock’s dialogue so when he was hit I actually jumped. What’s worse is they finished him off completely, so there was no chance for parting final words. It reminded me that this is Evil Dead, where there are no happy endings.
 
Hurley said:
MaidOfKandar said:
ETA: I was wondering why the lighting choices looked familiar for Episode 4 - Michael J. Bassett's work on the first cabin episode looked like this and guess who's directing that one!

Michael J. Basset is my favourite creator from the first season, and not only as a director, but even more so as a writer, because he also wrote the first cabin episode (which is in my opinion still the best episode from the entire series). Do we know if he also wrote any episodes for the second season?

I don't think he wrote any of the upcoming episodes, but 7 still has no writer listed on the wiki page which just lists the writer as to be announced.


MaidOfKandar said:
I hope the show went well, Nick!

It was a blast as usual. We do independent shows out here once a month, but as I was packing up to leave I was just thinking I just want to get home to see AvED followed by a nice long shower. I watched it, and it has taken a bit to digest it all because of how shocking it was to see what went down with Brock. I mean I kind of expected it while he was standing there, and figured they would keep him around a little while longer. Then again nothing good ever happens to those close to Ash, or any members of his family apparently. :(
 
eViL DeAdiTe said:
Just watched this episode last night and it was a mixed bag, but mostly great.
 
The delta sequences were really fun. I was dreading this plot point initially, expecting a slew of lazy car chases, but the manner by which they found ways to anthropomorphize the car, and have it interact with the teens like a slasher villian, were above my expectations. I don’t think I’ve seen that hub cap gag before. My girlfriend’s not an ED fan but has been watching the series with me, and has been able to tolerate everything they’ve come up with so far, but after the hubcap gag she turned away every subsequent scene involving the delta.
 
Ted, why am I not yet loving (or even liking) Chet? The formula seems to be there on paper, but on screen it isn’t working for me on screen at this point. Get Bruce and Ted together IRL and it’s magic. Could be that I’m used to seeing Ted play less cocky characters. Maybe it’s early yet to make a judgment on this one?
 
The party scene was a bit needless and protracted. Maybe ketamine is supposed to be important later, otherwise it didn’t make sense to me why it was so prominent. I guess they needed an excuse to bring everyone into the same room, but for me “throw a party” felt like the least creative setting after opening the season with one. The mechanical bull stuff was meh, and I wish they had made Brock less of a perv. In every interview Bruce has all this respect for him, but to me every dirty old man moment felt demeaning to Mr. Majors.
 
The highlight for me, was the beginning of the Kelly/Ruby bond. Whenever Dana’s given scenes in her comfort zone which emphasize her emotional range, she’s spectacular. This was hands down the best I’ve seen her so far. I hope the writer’s continue to write to the actor’s strengths.
 
Like everyone else, I was hoping for more time to reconcile with Brock, but I think that was the point. They set us up wanting to spend more time with the character after only 3 eps, which is why we’re all talking about it now. Imagine how much worse it would be if we were all completely apathetic about it? Though some feel the moment was being telegraphed, I wasn’t paying close enough attention to see it coming, and was immersed in Brock’s dialogue so when he was hit I actually jumped. What’s worse is they finished him off completely, so there was no chance for parting final words. It reminded me that this is Evil Dead, where there are no happy endings.

We're definitely getting more Chet next episode, so I guess you'll be able to make a judgement then!  

Nick el Ass said:
Hurley said:
MaidOfKandar said:
ETA: I was wondering why the lighting choices looked familiar for Episode 4 - Michael J. Bassett's work on the first cabin episode looked like this and guess who's directing that one!

Michael J. Basset is my favourite creator from the first season, and not only as a director, but even more so as a writer, because he also wrote the first cabin episode (which is in my opinion still the best episode from the entire series). Do we know if he also wrote any episodes for the second season?

I don't think he wrote any of the upcoming episodes, but 7 still has no writer listed on the wiki page which just lists the writer as to be announced.


MaidOfKandar said:
I hope the show went well, Nick!

It was a blast as usual. We do independent shows out here once a month, but as I was packing up to leave I was just thinking I just want to get home to see AvED followed by a nice long shower. I watched it, and it has taken a bit to digest it all because of how shocking it was to see what went down with Brock. I mean I kind of expected it while he was standing there, and figured they would keep him around a little while longer. Then again nothing good ever happens to those close to Ash, or any members of his family apparently. :(



Yep, wikipedia says he wrote nothing this season.  I'm still wondering why we don't have episode 7's writer!

And I'm glad you had a good time!
 
New short film centered around Last Call

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t2YgcaQiTU[/video]

A talking Classic, who woulda thunk it?
 
MaidOfKandar said:
[quote pid='8143' dateline='1476805539']
MaidOfKandar said:
I hope the show went well, Nick!

It was a blast as usual. We do independent shows out here once a month, but as I was packing up to leave I was just thinking I just want to get home to see AvED followed by a nice long shower. I watched it, and it has taken a bit to digest it all because of how shocking it was to see what went down with Brock. I mean I kind of expected it while he was standing there, and figured they would keep him around a little while longer. Then again nothing good ever happens to those close to Ash, or any members of his family apparently. :(

Yep, wikipedia says he wrote nothing this season.  I'm still wondering why we don't have episode 7's writer!

And I'm glad you had a good time!
[/quote]

Thanks. I think the lack of a named writer for episode 7 is super strange because they have never kept any names secret in the past which makes me want to know even more who is behind it. We already know Mark Beesley is directing it.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Yep, wikipedia says he wrote nothing this season.  I'm still wondering why we don't have episode 7's writer!

And I'm glad you had a good time!

Thanks. I think the lack of a named writer for episode 7 is super strange because they have never kept any names secret in the past which makes me want to know even more who is behind it. We already know Mark Beesley is directing it.
 
I'd guess that it's Sam but they made no secrets about it when he directed and wrote the pilot.

Maybe Bruce?
 
Michael has been posting some BTS photos from DUI. 


(Jesus Bruce ! O.O")

[img=300x169]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvKXGqUXYAErV6z.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvHyDOAXgAAt4-y.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvHxVjBW8AAl5tL.jpg[/img]
Source : https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett

(can i just say i really love the playful nature of Michael, it reminds me a lot of sam in many ways)
 
Nick el Ass said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Yep, wikipedia says he wrote nothing this season.  I'm still wondering why we don't have episode 7's writer!

And I'm glad you had a good time!

Thanks. I think the lack of a named writer for episode 7 is super strange because they have never kept any names secret in the past which makes me want to know even more who is behind it. We already know Mark Beesley is directing it.

I'd love to see what Joss Whedon, or possibly Kevin Smith would do with this material.
 
Whedon, no he missed an opportunity by not having Bruce make a cameo in Cabin in the Woods. Kevin Smith maybe.
 
Here's two clips from ep 4 and a exclusive image !


[img=500x333]http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Ash-Evil-Dead-204-02.jpg[/img]
(Aww look at that, the books giving pablo a kiss on the cheek ! )

Source : http://dailydead.com/ash-vs-evil-dead-pablo-nearly-gets-a-deadly-eyeful-in-exclusive-photo-from-episode-204/ash-evil-dead-204-02/


And here's the clips, i can't post them unfortunately but they are in the source.

http://aftermoviediner.com/feed/news/press-release/pictures/ash-vs-evil-dead/0204/dui

Baal is going to quite the villian with the way ruby describes him, one that i don't think we've quite seen in evil dead yet, i can't wait !

Judging by the reviewers reaction to this episode in the aftermovie link, i have a very good feeling were in for one helluva episode come this saturday/sunday.
 
Joem1k said:
Michael has been posting some BTS photos from DUI. 

I really like the shot of Bruce he shared, and want it for my collection of images.


eViL DeAdiTe said:
Nick el Ass said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Yep, wikipedia says he wrote nothing this season.  I'm still wondering why we don't have episode 7's writer!

And I'm glad you had a good time!

Thanks. I think the lack of a named writer for episode 7 is super strange because they have never kept any names secret in the past which makes me want to know even more who is behind it. We already know Mark Beesley is directing it.

I'd love to see what Joss Whedon, or possibly Kevin Smith would do with this material.

Kain said:
Whedon, no he missed an opportunity by not having Bruce make a cameo in Cabin in the Woods. Kevin Smith maybe.


I'd never seen much of Whedon's work so I can't comment on him, and have never really been a fan of Kevin Smith... but it would be cool to see Bruce write and direct an episode of AvED. Sam would be a good pick, and I'd love to see him do something once a year as a writer and/or director.
 
Joem1k said:
Michael has been posting some BTS photos from DUI. 


(Jesus Bruce ! O.O")

[img=300x169]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvKXGqUXYAErV6z.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvHyDOAXgAAt4-y.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvHxVjBW8AAl5tL.jpg[/img]
Source : https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett

(can i just say i really love the playful nature of Michael, it reminds me a lot of sam in many ways)

I think this is the episode Bruce tore his hamstring again trying.  First time he hurt it was on Burn Notice.
 
Top Bottom