Ash Vs Evil Dead 02 09 Home Again Discussion [SPOILERS]

Kain said:
Tanya was cute but 

Evil Henrietta's costume was so bad :(. She was basically a guy in a vaseline suit. No detail work at all.

Kain, you're crazy man.

Here's a side by side of the original suit vs. the sculpt of the new suit. They are spot on. The face was kind of jacked up though. Also I LOVED how Ash was like "Wait a minute, I thought it was here [on the table] or did I find it in the cellar with Scotty?" I thought that was a great callback to the continuity issues between ED1 and ED2.  
 
And now my further thoughts

Pros


* "Don't panic, it's 1982. ...If you're reading this you were dead.  PS You're not dead."

* Kelly and Ruby killing the shit out of an evil tree, though it could've been even bloodier.

* The set design was pretty great.

* Whatever they paid their stunt people in this episode it wasn't enough.


Middles

* Kelly and Ruby letting Ash blow off steam by turning high/drunk donuts on the concrete was funny - but why the hell would they drive with an emotional Ash?  Why the hell would they let him spin around in circles with a beloved corpse in the front seat?

* The shorthand for the it's-now-the-80s was hilariously priceless.  SOMEONE'S PLAYING ARCADE GAME IT'S THE 80s.

* Ted's performance was great but the Henrietta costume was indeed off in several places.   It was too gooey, for one, and the head was too skinny.

* I'm on the fence about Knowby's suddenly more mendacious motivations.  Sure, we don't know much about him, but he seems genuinely remorseful for his actions by the time he buries Henrietta.

* I'm also on the fence about Tanya.  She's cute, has a relatable backstory and a good scream but I refuse to bond with her because she is So.  Dead in the next episode.

Cons

*Bruce's acting in the drinking/hallucinogenic scene was a bit off and insincere.  

* RE the tiny Ash creature he spat up - it takes a mini-Ash much, much less time to split off into a new being in AOD. How did the little thing end up deformed?

* Seriously, what happened to Linda?  Did they randomly drop her off?  If she's part of the team now, why would she be OK with being alone?

* The extremely high number of callbacks.  Yeah, I've seen the hot chocolate scene, show, I didn't need to see it again with better CGI.  It just feels like Stuff I've already Seen Thousands of Times Before.  This franchise is incredibly original, I'm getting sick of the nostalgia trip.  (Seriously, there were THREE build montages in this episode.  As much fun as it is to see Bruce throw himself around, E n o u g h).

* Seriously: Ash knows Knowby unleashed the Evil by reading the book before he got there.  It's right on the tape recorder.  That's how he knows Henrietta got possessed.  We all know this.  Ash should, too.

Episode 10 Trailer thoughts

So it's clearly going to be Ash/Kelly/modern Ruby/Undead Pablo versus Baal/Younger Ruby/Henrietta/Evil Cheryl in a Battle for the Continuation of Humanity  You can clearly see two Rubys in one of the shots.
 
demonovation said:
Kain said:
Tanya was cute but 

Evil Henrietta's costume was so bad :(. She was basically a guy in a vaseline suit. No detail work at all.

Kain, you're crazy man.

Here's a side by side of the original suit vs. the sculpt of the new suit. They are spot on. The face was kind of jacked up though. Also I LOVED how Ash was like "Wait a minute, I thought it was here [on the table] or did I find it in the cellar with Scotty?" I thought that was a great callback to the continuity issues between ED1 and ED2.  

Shape wise sure, but if you watch the episode it has no detail at all. It's like the ran out of money or time and didn't bother painting any textures on the suit. So it comes out looking like vaseline on camera.
 
This episode felt like it was only 10 minutes.

I'm guessing because the first half was super-lame before the sudden ending. Felt that cut-off was almost as manipulative as the ticket to Jacksonville in S0110. I kinda enjoy a little satisfaction before the end--to me it feels like Ruby and Kel are going to show-up and save them, would have rather ended it there than, "Now I'm going to hurt you" or whatever.

Anyways here are the minuses and pluses

- Why did Ash (or anyone let him) desecrate Pablo--none of the characters seem like they really care
- Ash spinning around doing (the much overhyped) angeldust.
- Pablo scene added nothing to the ep other than ridiculously convenient hints--you know instead of something emotional

- BIGGEST STRETCH: PABLO HAS A PERFECTLY PLACED TAT THAT GOES TO 1982 ELK GROVE & ASH CAN READ IT

- Felt like a wannabe Back to the Future scene, could barely see the portal--once again the superfluous bloodsplat used on a hobo

- Random alcohol drinking cuz he's Ash and this is Starz.

+ 80's cars and clothes

+ Over the top view of the classic driving into the woods

- Why is this all ultra-bright day time considering there's only one Ep left and most of it has been at night or moody?

- Where is the iconic bridge--are they taking the back way? Doesn't look like it, why not mention it VS pointless banter/drinking

- They all split up and run away from the car for no logical reason while being chased by a demon

+ Ash in the rafters

- Cabin is super clean, but more rapidly evil during day time then any season/film

- Random nail make your leg turn evil

+ Sucking 'poison' out

+ Stunt Ash getting bashed around in the kitchen

+ Mini Evil creature thing he vomits up

- It talks like Cartman from SouthPark

- Pointless dialog in the woods between Ruby and Kel

- Cellar/House is not as immersive or creepy like S01. Feels way smaller.

+ Living Henrietta/acting

- She should have fallen down/cried from all those blows

- How the hell & why was this bear trap placed precisely this way for her to walk backwards and off-center into it.

+ Bear trap looks cool. Would have been better if Knowby was obviously evil.

- Wish Tanya was a younger/pre-demon Ruby instead of pointless canon fodder

- Why does Ash need an overweight woman to fight Knowby (and risk her being a demon like he thinks she is)?

+ Undead Henritta v01 looks good/stunts with

- Undead Henritta v01 Sounds way too human/boring

++ Eye Tree looks the best of the series, great stunts/battle

- Needs more wetness/mud for at least Kelly and the tree scene. All the blood in this but no budget left for mud?

- Killing by eye is too easy. Wish they had Ash's chainsaw when they ran and he had to find new way to fight Henrietta.

++ Ted Henrietta transformation/costume. I think the film just needs to be graded better to tone down the orange skin.

+ No apparent seams in the Henrietta costume like ED 2 when she's spinning above and you see Ted's crotch/thighs (I always thought flying Henrietta looked ridiculous).

+ No monkey sounds or other cheeze yet.

- Why didn't Ash try to chop off some arms or whatever like last time? Going for the belly hasn't worked on any creature (ie Ep S0201).

Overall I like this episode. If the callbacks were longer and more original it would be up there with S0201


Kain said:
Here's a side by side of the original suit vs. the sculpt of the new suit. They are spot on. The face was kind of jacked up though. Also I LOVED how Ash was like "Wait a minute, I thought it was here [on the table] or did I find it in the cellar with Scotty?" I thought that was a great callback to the continuity issues between ED1 and ED2.  

Shape wise sure, but if you watch the episode it has no detail at all. It's like the ran out of money or time and didn't bother painting any textures on the suit. So it comes out looking like vaseline on camera.

Yeah but you also have to consider Henrietta is less decomposed and hasn't been in the basement (for months?).

She's not supposed to have as much weathering or sagging--being freshly transformed--or that's what I would expect.
 
Kain said:
demonovation said:
Kain said:
Tanya was cute but 

Evil Henrietta's costume was so bad :(. She was basically a guy in a vaseline suit. No detail work at all.

Kain, you're crazy man.

Here's a side by side of the original suit vs. the sculpt of the new suit. They are spot on. The face was kind of jacked up though. Also I LOVED how Ash was like "Wait a minute, I thought it was here [on the table] or did I find it in the cellar with Scotty?" I thought that was a great callback to the continuity issues between ED1 and ED2.  

Shape wise sure, but if you watch the episode it has no detail at all. It's like the ran out of money or time and didn't bother painting any textures on the suit. So it comes out looking like vaseline on camera.

It just looked like a fresher version of Henrietta to me, less rotted from being buried in the ground for a while before reappearing in ED2.

Edit: Yeah, what the dude above me said...
 
I couldn't help laughing my ass off when Ash was doing doughnuts (or donuts) in the street while Pablo is sitting in the passenger seat with his legs up by his head, haha. Then they set off to the 80's, and we get to see Ash turn a business guy into an alcoholic outside of a movie theater with a The Hills Have Eyes Movie poster before we get to see Ash's man girdle return along with a liberal appliance of Bengay. All of this was set to Journey's Don't Stop Believin', and I must say that the AvED soundtrack has been on point from the start.


Now I trust that with the new Henrietta suit they managed to find a way to keep Ted a little cooler so we don't have to see sweat pouring out of his ear while spinning around in the air.
 
Random observations/nitpicks:

Pablo's death sure bothered Ash a lot, yet he got over Brock and Chet fairly quickly.

Henrietta was well done, great to see Ted back again.

The 80s scenes in the beginning looked great, nice attention to detail and nothing looked anachronistic.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
* Whatever they paid their stunt people in this episode it wasn't enough.


Dana just posted a video of her being picked up by the tree, and it seems like the cast of Ash vs Evil Dead does a lot more of their own stunts than the average cast... but I'm sure there are things they are not allowed to do. Anyone who fills in that gap by tossing themselves around for a living deserves a lot more credit than they get.


https://twitter.com/ImDanaDeLorenzo/status/805881106767613954
 
Nick el Ass said:
MaidOfKandar said:
* Whatever they paid their stunt people in this episode it wasn't enough.


Dana just posted a video of her being picked up by the tree, and it seems like the cast of Ash vs Evil Dead does a lot more of their own stunts than the average cast... but I'm sure there are things they are not allowed to do. Anyone who fills in that gap by tossing themselves around for a living deserves a lot more credit than they get.


https://twitter.com/ImDanaDeLorenzo/status/805881106767613954

Good lord, lucy and dana must have had a helluva time shooting that whole tree sequence, i bet that whole scene was probably a real pain in the ass to shoot but the end results were amazing !

Oh and here's a awesome easter egg if anyone here is a xena fan there was apparently a huge xena easter egg in this episode, when ruby was chanting the incantation to travel back in time she was actually using some of lyrics from the funeral song from xena and used it on here, i don't know if this  true or not but here's the song if anyone want's cross reference this  with the incantation scene just to be sure. 

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqj7mah-jO8[/video]
 
Joem1k said:
Oh and here's a awesome easter egg if anyone here is a xena fan there was apparently a huge xena easter egg in this episode, when ruby was chanting the incantation to travel back in time she was actually using some of lyrics from the funeral song from xena and used it on here, i don't know if this  true or not but here's the song if anyone want's cross reference this  with the incantation scene just to be sure. 

Rick Jacobson directed a number of Xena episodes, and I think there were a number of nods especially when Ruby and Kelly were fighting the tree like Ruby spinning out of the vines in a very Xenaesque style. I know Lucy has a way with words so I wouldn't put it past them to slip some more of this stuff into the show since (I think) Lucy and Joe LoDuca wrote the burial song, but I didn't notice it... and the only place I saw the rumor was from a couple of posts on Twitter.
 
Oh, full credit to Dana and Lucy (and Bruce - I think he did a few of his own stunts in there too) for doing their own work! Editing was seamless enough this time out that the various performances blended together beautifully.

@Nick - I think they all have insurance on them so there's only so much they can actually do - i know they really drew the line with Bruce this season after the car-surfing in the possessed Classic episode because he re-tore his hamstring.
 
This episode didn't do much for me. I liked the time travel idea of going back to the cabin to try and reset everything, but once again, I really disliked the execution. Something still feels off to me, either the atmosphere, tone or the characters. The sad part is that more and more I find myself simply not caring about anything that's happening. Despite very welcome improvements made on a lot of aspects during this season, I reached a point where I'm just waiting for it to end and still watching only because I've already invested too much time and attention into it. I wanna finish it, but unfortunately I just don't care anymore. Going into specifics, almost everything in this episode was just a riff on stuff that we've already seen. Even though it was all technically well done, it was also incredibly boring to watch. If I wanted to watch a compilation of cool scenes from the movies, I'd just watch the movies again. I'm also not a big fan of what they did with Knowby. He doesn't even feel like the same character from the movies. Also, why the hell is Tanya even there? The way the show keeps randomly inserting disposable red shirts just to suffer and die is starting to annoy the hell out of me... Not to mention the inconsistencies and plot holes it generates. The decision to remove Linda completely from the story's conclusion after what she went through the last couple of episodes just baffles me. I guess you can include her on the list of completely underused, pointless and useless side characters that were introduced this season. Characters continue to act stupid and forgetful just because the plot demands it. Ash's plan is to go back in time to stop himself from reading the book... Except he never read from the book in the cabin. He played a tape that had passages from the book recited in it. Recorded by Professor Knowby, who had already released the evil before he got there and buried Henrietta in the cellar. He gets to the cabin and acts surprised to find out that the evil is already on the loose and that Knowby has Henrietta chained up in the cellar, which is something he should know and remember. He even seems to have forgotten Annie existed (even though there's a picture of her right there on the table). The worst part is that the "revelation" is not only played as a surprise to Ash, but as if it should be a surprise to us as well. Sorry, writers... I'm not as forgetful and dumb as you seem to think Ash should be. This just reached a new level of lazy, illogical writing. Let's see what they do with the season finale. Hopefully it will be fun, at least. Too bad the writing ship has already sailed.
 
I wasn't too sure about Tanya being there either, but thinking about it, it's not a contradiction to the earlier films. We don't know that she WASN'T there after all. We just never saw her alive or in deadite form, so she could have got away (which I doubt) or. been thoroughly disposed of (more likely). We never saw Professor Knowby's body, either, in the films, except in flashback, when he was alive.

I didn't hate her role despite my reservations, but I'm not so keen on Knowby's more mercenary side, although I appreciate he has justified it in his own mind. Fact is, we saw so little of the character in the films, we don't really know what he was like. We know he was killed and returned as a helpful spook, (does that mean there wasn't enough left over to become a deadite? Maybe that will happen next episode) but most of what we saw was just backflashes and tape recording. So again, not really a contradiction to the film footage . Just a contradiction to how we imagined him to be.

His mistreatment of Tanya does show he will do anything for family, at least, and that is carried out further in ED2 when he broke the barrier of death itself to aid his daughter Annie, although that didn't require him hurting anyone.

And yeah, should Ash have been surprised that the Evil had been released already? Logically, not really. But am I surprised he is surprised? Considering how egotistical this older Ash is, not really. And he has shown strong traits of absent mindedness since Army...

Am I going out on a limb to explain plot holes in a programme I like? Quite possibly. ;-)

I'm curious to see where this leads though.
 
Mardeadite said:
I wasn't too sure about Tanya being there either, but thinking about it, it's not a contradiction to the earlier films. We don't know that she WASN'T there after all. We just never saw her alive or in deadite form, so she could have got away (which I doubt) or. been thoroughly disposed of (more likely). We never saw Professor Knowby's body, either, in the films, except in flashback, when he was alive.

I didn't hate her role despite my reservations, but I'm not so keen on Knowby's more mercenary side, although I appreciate he has justified it in his own mind. Fact is, we saw so little of the character in the films, we don't really know what he was like. We know he was killed and returned as a helpful spook, (does that mean there wasn't enough left over to become a deadite? Maybe that will happen next episode) but most of what we saw was just backflashes and tape recording. So again, not really a contradiction to the film footage . Just a contradiction to how we imagined him to be.

His mistreatment of Tanya does show he will do anything for family, at least, and that is carried out further in ED2 when he broke the barrier of death itself to aid his daughter Annie, although that didn't require him hurting anyone.

And yeah, should Ash have been surprised that the Evil had been released already? Logically, not really. But am I surprised he is surprised? Considering how egotistical this older Ash is, not really. And he has shown strong traits of absent mindedness since Army...

Am I going out on a limb to explain plot holes in a programme I like? Quite possibly. ;-)

I'm curious to see where this leads though.

My biggest problem with Tanya isn't with the actual character or that it doesn't make sense for her to be there at all... Just the fact that the only reason she was introduced was so that they could have someone to torture and possibly kill that wasn't a part of the main cast. It's the same thing with the random security guards in the asylum episode and the hikers from last season. They are there just to die and maybe turn into deadites. That's their only function in the story, you can predict their future from a mile away and nobody will care about it when it happens.

About Knowby, it's not that what they did with him doesn't make sense... It's just that it feels wrong to me.
 
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Aside from the obvious gratuitous nostalgia orgy, there are other reasons to have Ash return to the cabin.[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]For one, they already have the set, so why not use it again? You can bet your sweet aunt sally this won’t be the last time we see it. [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Also, it sort of helps Ash’s arc:[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]His S1 trip was about facing his (figurative) demons after running and hiding for all those years. Then, in an attempt to end the threat once and for all, he fails, and takes the easy way out rather than continue the fight. We all know how that turned out.[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]In S2...
by the end of the season I think it’s safe to say that Ash will learn, in the end, that worse things would’ve happened had he not intercepted the book during that first trip to the cabin with Cheryl & co. It’s likely that Ruby and/or Baal would’ve found it soon after, and unleashed all kinds of hell, unopposed. This season has been about Ash facing up his past, so I have a feeling he’ll have to reconcile that it was always his purpose to find the book and defend humanity. Maybe he’ll finally come to terms with his role, and embrace it, with no more delusions of Jacksonville?
[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]I’m also wondering if we’ll learn anything more about Brock’s secret in the finale?[/font]
 
>About Knowby, it's not that what they did with him doesn't make sense... It's just that it feels wrong to me.

Despite what I said, I know what you mean. It felt wrong to me as well, but I enjoyed this episode and the series overall.
 
Well, on one end we could ague that Tanya would melt into goo like Cheryl and Scotty did at the end of TED when the Evil is dispelled; but that opens up the why-wasn't-her-body-still-intact-in-the-cellar and the why-wasn't-there-a-pile-of-goo-down-there-to-be-found questions. If she was buried out back, then why didn't she rise to attack them? These are plot holes they're not considering.
 
DyD said:
My biggest problem with Tanya isn't with the actual character or that it doesn't make sense for her to be there at all... Just the fact that the only reason she was introduced was so that they could have someone to torture and possibly kill that wasn't a part of the main cast. It's the same thing with the random security guards in the asylum episode and the hikers from last season. They are there just to die and maybe turn into deadites. That's their only function in the story, you can predict their future from a mile away and nobody will care about it when it happens.

About Knowby, it's not that what they did with him doesn't make sense... It's just that it feels wrong to me.

Yeah, to me a Knowby was more of that pipe-smoking, fatherly professor who is all historical and curious, but entirely ignorant to the reality of the supernatural. The guy comes back as a ghost in ED2 to even confirm this. He's such a basic character it's weird they made him like... semi-evil? Incompetently evil?

Plus how did that old skinny professor manage to lock up his wife down there when she's like superman-lite and giving Ash a ton of trouble.

BTW good catch on the whole Ash being senile and forgetful crap they keep trying to make a trope. The reality is no one can read from the book unless they know Sumerian. The idea you can read from the book comes from the ED remake which IS A DIFFERENT BOOK/UNIVERSE.

To me I was hoping/going for an altered timeline where things were different, but I just assumed he summarily meant go back and get the book/break the tape player, not that he actually can't remember anything. I mean ED 1 is just a movie for most of us, seems like something hard to forget if it actually happened to you.

Bruce was just some actor in it yet he remembers tons of minute details and is the same age as Ash. Oh wait that's right.. he's 'acting Ash' or whatever--gotta constantly remind us that Ash is retarded in the TV show.


MaidOfKandar said:
Well, on one end we could ague that Tanya would melt into goo like Cheryl and Scotty did at the end of TED when the Evil is dispelled; but that opens up the why-wasn't-her-body-still-intact-in-the-cellar and the why-wasn't-there-a-pile-of-goo-down-there-to-be-found questions.  If she was buried out back, then why didn't she rise to attack them?  These are plot holes they're not considering.

I'd rather Tonya was young Ruby pre-possesed instead of Lucy in a blond wig.

Then things would have a point and we'd actually get more world building instead of rehashing.
 
I have an increasing suspicion that one of the reasons none of the death's (except Pablo's) were mourned at any great length this season, is because
maybe they're planning on restoring Chet and Brock through whatever meddling they do in 1982, and possibly other characters as well.
Maybe.
 
DyD said:
My biggest problem with Tanya isn't with the actual character or that it doesn't make sense for her to be there at all... Just the fact that the only reason she was introduced was so that they could have someone to torture and possibly kill that wasn't a part of the main cast. It's the same thing with the random security guards in the asylum episode and the hikers from last season. They are there just to die and maybe turn into deadites. That's their only function in the story, you can predict their future from a mile away and nobody will care about it when it happens.

Not like those really well fleshed out characters like Ed from the movies.
 
Top Bottom