Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E02: Bait Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mardeadite said:
I'm not sure I caught it all (I am a native English speaker but the slang is American and I'm from the old country. I have put standard words in brackets to translate. I made a guess where 'jacked' is concerned.

Ash: Trust me, once you get jacked [hit] in the face, it will all clear. I can't even get my nut [head* ] up to rumble [fight], unless I've had a good shot [punch] to the chin!

Pablo: Man, you're like, an expert! I mean, it looks like you've taken a punch!

Ash: Oh, I dunno [don't know] about that! I I think this mug [face]is basically in mint [great] condition.

*Nut can mean 'head' or 'testicle'. In context, I think he means the former.

First he says "Trust me, once you get jacked in the face it will all click." Meaning like, everything will make sense. Also I would say "I can't even get my nut up to rumble" means like "I don't really even have the courage to fight until I get punched first." If someone says "nut up" it means the same as "man up" which is to say "be a man" or "be brave (as men are expected to be)". I think it's a really cool sounding line personally, cooler than anything Ash said in the first episode.
 
Definitely an improvement, in my eyes. Bruce is basically AOD Ash here, and I'm so glad. It's not quite ED2 Ash, but I'll take it. His being insensitive was far lowered and played more out of reasoned cynicism than buffoonery.

Yeah, the shorter runtime does bug me. Hopefully, if ratings pick up and we don't get cancelled, they might push the episodes to 40/45 mins next year. Give it a little more simmer/character time.

Mimi Rogers was great, and it was nice to see Ash act more like a human being, as he was serious most of the time here and not the butt of a Sam Raimi joke.

I don't miss Raimi, to be honest. Bruce is the only guiding hand needed here.
 
ETA, the Twitter and the Tumblr have given up and are flat-out spoiling the majority of the episode before its airdate, so be careful out there if you're waiting for it to air.
 
ETA: Second impressions: an actual improvement over last week in terms of character; acting is still wobbly tho. Longer thoughts later, still :p
 
I liked this one better than the first episode. It was a lot tighter and more focused. It felt like Evil Dead and it had some cool visuals even though the director wasn't trying to copy Sam's style. The atmosphere was great and the different tones were really well balanced. The whole episode had a nice energy to it. Ash was great and Mimi Rogers was fantastic.

A few minor observations:

- Seriously, cut it out with the CGI blood. There's just no need for it and it sticks out like a sore thumb. At least CGI wasn't used as much as it was on the first episode, but they really need to at least try to do as much as they can using just practical effects and avoid any unnecessary digital enhancements. The only enhancements they did so far that kinda worked were on the deadite girl in the first episode after she gets half of her head blown off. Everything else has been terrible. Low budget practical effects are charming and endearing. Cheap CGI effects just look like cheap CGI.

- Sorry, but I have to bring up that moment when the deadite got his head knocked off by an oncoming car. What about the driver of that other car? Didn't he notice it? Did he call the cops? He just decapitated someone with his car! It felt really weird to cut straight to Ash and Pablo talking in the car as if nothing had happened and as if nobody was driving that other car. I know this is very nit-picky, but still, I think they need to pay more attention to details like this. It's the first time we're seeing Ash dealing with deadites in an open world and around other people who have no idea what's going on. I really wanna see him having to deal with the repercussions of his actions. We're seeing a little bit of this with the cops searching for him and investigating the trail of dead bodies he leaves behind. I'm interested in seeing where this goes, but they need to be more careful with the way they have Ash and the deadites interacting with the world around them.

- Yeah, I agree that deadites are giving up too easily. It was specially weird in this episode, when Ash killed Kelly's mom. I kept waiting for her to at least open her eyes after the decapitation and yell "we'll swallow your soul!" or something like that, but no. The evil force apparently just conveniently gave up and left the premises after she got decapitated. I guess that particular kandarian demon had better things to do that night. The only deadite so far that didn't stay down after getting their head cut off or getting part of their head blown off was the tattoo girl in the first episode.

- It looks like next episode will give us some clues on how exactly Ash had the Necronomicon in his trailer. I'm eagerly waiting for an explanation on how the book is still intact, since it was destroyed by the end of the first film. I really hope they do address this at some point. If they don't, it's going to be very disappointing for me and another thing I'm gonna have to write off as lazy writing. There's also the car, but that's a lot easier to figure out and not as important. A car is replaceable. Ash has a hard time letting go of the past, so he bought another one just like the one he used to drive when he was young. That's a reasonable, easy explanation. But the book being intact needs to be given a little more attention than that.
 
IN DEPTH REVIEW TIME, same like last week : Pro's, Mixed Bag and Con's


Pros
=================================================

1. Ash and Pablo were on point this week, they looked out for one other when the shit was hitting the fan and they mesh well together as a team even if pablo is still new to dealing with deadite's. Ash immediately let's him know what kinda shit his in for and what his doing wrong, even if ash is kind of a dick to him sometimes (MOIST TOWELETTE)  he still cares for pablo and im already seeing a bond between them aswell.

2. Ash and kelly relationship took a turn for the better this week, by the end of the episode you could tell ash felt sorry for kelly by the end of the episode and ash's line summed up what there relationship will be going forth "Your kinda like a young me, deadites ruined your life and your hot as hell" i don't see that line as flirting but more as a compliment then anything, i think ash legit sees a lot of him in her and we see him teaching her the ropes aswell.

3. Ash felt more like ash in this episode more then he did in the first episode, and i think it was because sam wasn't there to put him in stupid gag's and be goofy, he actually got some solid character development in this one episode then he did in the pilot. 

4. Amanda's sub-plot is about to take off and this episode was the launching pad for it, plus i still wanna know why the deadite's are helping her track ash (the arm pointing towards the book's from beyond card ash dropped) 

5. The practical effects were really on point in this episode, i hardly saw any cgi in this episode then i did in the first episode, kudos to the director for that one. (*cough* raimi *cough*)

*Sidenote* 

( some of the evil dead fans have been saying that the twist in this episode you could see coming a mile away and i find that interesting cause from my mindset , it made sense for us evil dead fans to see it coming cause we have been watching this franchise for a long time and we know whats up with the deadites and we know what's coming, so in it's own wired way it works like that cause we all have that veteran mindset like ash does  in this episode when it comes to the deadite's and how they work, so waiting to see her get revealed as a deadite felt  very satisfying to me .)

6. Mimi Rodger's did one helluva job as a deadite, and i also like the fact she did her own stunts as well.

7. The fight scenes really topped the first episode's leaps and bounds, they were alot more intense, especially the part were suzy and ash are fighting with the shotgun. But my favorite was probably the car scene, good lord was the blood going everywhere 

8. Ash's one liners were on point, and they actually showed ash reloading his double barrel which is relief in my book cause i hate when they don't show someone reloading there gun it feels cheap. (Looking at you walking dead *points finger*)

MIXED

1. The length time is questionable, but i feel as though they pack enough into 30 minutes that it leaves you wanting more and you excited for next week's show, but at the same time extra time could flesh out the character's alot more and you don't feel like it's being rushed, so the running time is a bit of a mixed bag for me at this point

2. The shotgun pov shot was great but at the same time it felt wired and out of place.

3. The lullaby reference was great to hear again and it was effective for the scene but it's never really explained why she sings it. 

4. The acting was cheesy in some parts but it's  freaking evil dead, i'm not expecting breaking bad level's of acting here.

Con's ( Another bare con section.)

1. The fight scenes were great but at the same time there was some questionable actions by the characters, i feel as though the fathers death could have been prevented if they acted quicker on there feet, they were in reaching distance to stop her from doing it yet they stood there and let him die.


Subtle jokes/one liners i noticed on my various viewings

"GOOD NIGHT ASHLEY" *5 seconds later "Good night mother..."

When they cut back to pablo and ash in the car after there fight with there boss, there is soft music playing on the radio while they both have very disturbed looks on there face's
 
Definitely agree with most of the points here. This episode had some great comedy, (just Ash accusingly placing his chainsaw on the counter-top made me laugh out loud) and some very Evil Dead 2 authentic gore. (The only 'problem' with the car fight splatter is that they aren't able to top it later when cutting off Deadite-Mom's head) I didn't miss Raimi TOO much. Bothered me that Pablo very quickly stopped believing in the expertise of 'El Jefe' for plot reasons. "Ash, you're wrong, I'm right".
 
Kain said:
Kelly's dad's death was pretty brutal. I'm surprised he didn't turn into a deadite to assist Kelly's mom.
Me too. I think maybe he will turn up later. Do you remember the spooky windmill turn at the end of the episode? I think that might signify the Evil is not done with that premises yet.

Incidentally, glad my prediction concerning their boss was correct. I did not expect him to turn up so soon though!

demonovation said:
Mardeadite said:
I'm not sure I caught it all (I am a native English speaker but the slang is American and I'm from the old country. I have put standard words in brackets to translate. I made a guess where 'jacked' is concerned.

Ash: Trust me, once you get jacked [hit] in the face, it will all clear. I can't even get my nut [head* ] up to rumble [fight], unless I've had a good shot [punch] to the chin!

Pablo: Man, you're like, an expert! I mean, it looks like you've taken a punch!

Ash: Oh, I dunno [don't know] about that! I I think this mug [face]is basically in mint [great] condition.

*Nut can mean 'head' or 'testicle'. In context, I think he means the former.

First he says "Trust me, once you get jacked in the face it will all click." Meaning like, everything will make sense. Also I would say "I can't even get my nut up to rumble" means like "I don't really even have the courage to fight until I get punched first." If someone says "nut up" it means the same as "man up" which is to say "be a man" or "be brave (as men are expected to be)". I think it's a really cool sounding line personally, cooler than anything Ash said in the first episode.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Click! That makes more sense. I even know that expression. When I first translated that  line I actually added the word 'become' before 'clear', I.e " it will [become] clear" as that would be better grammar.... except I misheard him anyway. Ironically, I did not hear the clicking sound at the end of the syllable.

Concerning the Dead arm, I wondered if it was actually a deadites arm, or just the vision of a dead limb only Amanda could see. A special power, if you like. I wasn't convinced by the theory that she had some kind of special sight when she saw that deadite girl last episode. I figured it was just the Evil(s) messing with her, like it did with Ash before they turned up for real. But now I wonder. On the other hand it would be in the Evil's favour to create a  conflict between Amanda and Ash.

I liked that theory that Amanda turn out to be El Jefe though. This could all be part of that.
 
Sutter Cane said:
I just saw the episode  It didn't feel like the first one but it was very good. We can feel Sam Raimi is not in command but I think the director did well.  The camera fixed on the shot gun was cool.  There was a very few CGI scenes. I that point, I don't expect to get better CGI for the series but it work "ok".  I think we must keep in mind that every Evil Dead movies was low budget flicks.  

I just think the part where the chainsaw was stuck in wall.  Ash could remove it and attack Kelly's mother.  The scene was too slow IMO to work correctly.  The part when Ash killed her, it was just awesome!  ;)  

Muzzlehatch said:
I liked it aswell. Not a masterpiece but good entertainment.

Positives:


+ Ash is more Ash, less a goofy Bruce caricature
+ fresh content, not just referencing every shot and trope from the films (like in the pilot)
+ solid directing (not as freaky as the Raimi style, but still some cool shots, specialy the boomstick cam)
+ good laughs here and there

Negatives:

- short runningtime cuts of any chance for real character development
- CGI is unbelievable BAD (but again only for a few seconds)
- the plot has simply no twist (beside what is told about Kellys Mom, but I've already seen that coming)
- they could have played out the dinner scene a little bit longer with a more intelligent resolution than a punch on the chin

DocLathropBrown said:
Definitely an improvement, in my eyes. Bruce is basically AOD Ash here, and I'm so glad. It's not quite ED2 Ash, but I'll take it. His being insensitive was far lowered and played more out of reasoned cynicism than buffoonery.

Yeah, the shorter runtime does bug me. Hopefully, if ratings pick up and we don't get cancelled, they might push the episodes to 40/45 mins next year. Give it a little more simmer/character time.

Mimi Rogers was great, and it was nice to see Ash act more like a human being, as he was serious most of the time here and not the butt of a Sam Raimi joke.

I don't miss Raimi, to be honest. Bruce is the only guiding hand needed here.

Gut0nez said:
I liked this one better than the first episode. It was a lot tighter and more focused. It felt like Evil Dead and it had some cool visuals even though the director wasn't trying to copy Sam's style. The atmosphere was great and the different tones were really well balanced. The whole episode had a nice energy to it. Ash was great and Mimi Rogers was fantastic.

A few minor observations:

- Seriously, cut it out with the CGI blood. There's just no need for it and it sticks out like a sore thumb. At least CGI wasn't used as much as it was on the first episode, but they really need to at least try to do as much as they can using just practical effects and avoid any unnecessary digital enhancements. The only enhancements they did so far that kinda worked were on the deadite girl in the first episode after she gets half of her head blown off. Everything else has been terrible. Low budget practical effects are charming and endearing. Cheap CGI effects just look like cheap CGI.

- Sorry, but I have to bring up that moment when the deadite got his head knocked off by an oncoming car. What about the driver of that other car? Didn't he notice it? Did he call the cops? He just decapitated someone with his car! It felt really weird to cut straight to Ash and Pablo talking in the car as if nothing had happened and as if nobody was driving that other car. I know this is very nit-picky, but still, I think they need to pay more attention to details like this. It's the first time we're seeing Ash dealing with deadites in an open world and around other people who have no idea what's going on. I really wanna see him having to deal with the repercussions of his actions. We're seeing a little bit of this with the cops searching for him and investigating the trail of dead bodies he leaves behind. I'm interested in seeing where this goes, but they need to be more careful with the way they have Ash and the deadites interacting with the world around them.

- Yeah, I agree that deadites are giving up too easily. It was specially weird in this episode, when Ash killed Kelly's mom. I kept waiting for her to at least open her eyes after the decapitation and yell "we'll swallow your soul!" or something like that, but no. The evil force apparently just conveniently gave up and left the premises after she got decapitated. I guess that particular kandarian demon had better things to do that night. The only deadite so far that didn't stay down after getting their head cut off or getting part of their head blown off was the tattoo girl in the first episode.

- It looks like next episode we'll get some clues on how exactly Ash had the Necronomicon in his trailer. I'm eagerly waiting for an explanation on how the book is still intact, since it was destroyed by the end of the first film. I really hope they do address this at some point. If they don't, it's going to be very disappointing for me and another thing I'm gonna have to write off as lazy writing. There's also the car, but that's a lot easier to figure out and not as important. A car is replaceable. Ash has a hard time letting go of the past, so he bought another one just like the one he used to drive when he was young. That's a reasonable, easy explanation. But the book being intact needs to be given a little more attention than that.

Joem1k said:
IN DEPTH REVIEW TIME, same like last week : Pro's, Mixed Bag and Con's


Pros
=================================================

1. Ash and Pablo were on point this week, they looked out for one other when the shit was hitting the fan and they mesh well together as a team even if pablo is still new to dealing with deadite's. Ash immediately let's him know what kinda shit his in for and what his doing wrong, even if ash is kind of a dick to him sometimes (MOIST TOWELETTE)  he still cares for pablo and im already seeing a bond between them aswell.

2. Ash and kelly relationship took a turn for the better this week, by the end of the episode you could tell ash felt sorry for kelly by the end of the episode and ash's line summed up what there relationship will be going forth "Your kinda like a young me, deadites ruined your life and your hot as hell" i don't see that line as flirting but more as a compliment then anything, i think ash legit sees a lot of him in her and we see him teaching her the ropes aswell.

3. Ash felt more like ash in this episode more then he did in the first episode, and i think it was because sam wasn't there to put him in stupid gag's and be goofy, he actually got some solid character development in this one episode then he did in the pilot. 

4. Amanda's sub-plot is about to take off and this episode was the launching pad for it, plus i still wanna know why the deadite's are helping her track ash (the arm pointing towards the book's from beyond card ash dropped) 

5. The practical effects were really on point in this episode, i hardly saw any cgi in this episode then i did in the first episode, kudos to the director for that one. (*cough* raimi *cough*)

*Sidenote* 

( some of the evil dead fans have been saying that the twist in this episode you could see coming a mile away and i find that interesting cause from my mindset , it made sense for us evil dead fans to see it coming cause we have been watching this franchise for a long time and we know whats up with the deadites and we know what's coming, so in it's own wired way it works like that cause we all have that veteran mindset like ash does  in this episode when it comes to the deadite's and how they work, so waiting to see her get revealed as a deadite felt  very satisfying to me .)

6. Mimi Rodger's did one helluva job as a deadite, and i also like the fact she did her own stunts as well.

7. The fight scenes really topped the first episode's leaps and bounds, they were alot more intense, especially the part were suzy and ash are fighting with the shotgun. But my favorite was probably the car scene, good lord was the blood going everywhere 

8. Ash's one liners were on point, and they actually showed ash reloading his double barrel which is relief in my book cause i hate when they don't show someone reloading there gun it feels cheap. (Looking at you walking dead *points finger*)

MIXED

1. The length time is questionable, but i feel as though they pack enough into 30 minutes that it leaves you wanting more and you excited for next week's show, but at the same time extra time could flesh out the character's alot more and you don't feel like it's being rushed, so the running time is a bit of a mixed bag for me at this point

2. The shotgun pov shot was great but at the same time it felt wired and out of place.

3. The lullaby reference was great to hear again and it was effective for the scene but it's never really explained why she sings it. 

4. The acting was cheesy in some parts but it's  freaking evil dead, i'm not expecting breaking bad level's of acting here.

Con's ( Another bare con section.)

1. The fight scenes were great but at the same time there was some questionable actions by the characters, i feel as though the fathers death could have been prevented if they acted quicker on there feet, they were in reaching distance to stop her from doing it yet they stood there and let him die.


Subtle jokes/one liners i noticed on my various viewings

"GOOD NIGHT ASHLEY" *5 seconds later "Good night mother..."

When they cut back to pablo and ash in the car after there fight with there boss, there is soft music playing on the radio while they both have very disturbed looks on there face's
 
This episode had a really good flow to it, and left me wishing it was longer. I really like when Pablo busted Mr. Roper in the face with the bottle, and when Mr. Roper got pissed followed by Pablo's "Oh, shit" I couldn't stop laughing. I didn't have a problem with Mr. Roper getting hit by an oncoming car with the blood because it was just leading into the title, and whose to say they didn't stop to see what happened... but they simply couldn't waste time with another character with a 30 minute show. At any rate, one can't say enough about Mimi Rogers. The boomstick camera stuff during the fight was kind of reminiscent of the camera being tied into it in the game Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick along with Mrs. Maxwell's demise with the chainsaw which was interesting, and I have a feeling they are going to take bits and pieces from everything Evil Dead to use for the show which is cool in my book. I was still kind of weirded out by Kelly's dads delivery, but in a weird way it makes me think of the original Evil Dead when everyone was new to the acting game. That was really the only issue I had on this one aside from wanting more. Good direction.


Mrs. Maxwell is slated for 3 episodes, and that could make the last shot of the windmill turning as they drive off very interesting as the show rolls along. 
 
....I have no idea why the board tends to tantrum whenever I multi-select posts, but here we try again.

I generally thought it was a decent episode, but I still had some problems with what they did.  The plot really, really irritated me, if only because the inevitable was so inevitable.  Kelly was sympathetic but SHE KNOWS WHAT A DEADITE IS AND WHAT THEY DO NOW.  There's a limit to grief and willful disbelief.  I'm enjoying Ash starting to slip into a fond uncle role for both of them, and Kelly and Pablo's puppy-dog love-to-be, though I really really want something more coming from Kelly at this point.  Also, I don't care about Amanda.  I really want to care about her - Jill Marie Jones is great - but I simply don't.  And Mimi Rogers was really pretty amazing and I'd honestly rather her as Ash's love interest because there was chemistry there.

Also I'm tired of beheading being the end-all-be-all  of Deadite killing.  IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.  IT NEVER WORKED LIKE THAT. I will say that for as many times as they do it.

Ugh I wish I could suss my post back out because it had actual points in it but it is gone with the wind.  But the end result is that this one's middling for me.  So thumb in the middle.

Kelly's dad is set for three more eps too.  I'm sensing when Kelly goes Deadite they're going to resurface, if only in her tormented mind.
 
You know, Hurley. I had forgotten all about that part, and didn't even think of it when it happened. 0_o


Now I can't help, but wonder if Ash has just gotten lazy when it comes to deposing of Deadites while trying to get away from it as fast as possible, or he is simply forgetful... or there is something else going on such as him letting Kelly and Pablo do the burying while he made the crosses. 
 
Ha, I thought that was him getting pulled out of the grave by Ruby in the trailer.  I think the guy who runs the bookstore is the one Ruby pitchforks.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Also I'm tired of beheading being the end-all-be-all  of Deadite killing.  IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.  IT NEVER WORKED LIKE THAT. I will say that for as many times as they do it.

[/spoiler]

I know we already talked about this in a previous post.  I just wonder why this annoy you NOW and not over 20 years ago.  The Deadite's Death in Army of Darkness have no sense at all.  This is something I hated from Army of Darkness because they drastically changed the rules.  Once again they changed the rules but I think the show is a good compromise.  

Army of Darkness Deadites Death :

1) Acrobatic Deadite. Head severed = Status =  Death
 
2) Pit Deadite : Shot in the head and belly.  Fall back in the pit.  Status Harmless or Dead
 
3) Witch deadite : A few shots in the belly = Dead
 
4 )Evil Ash : Dismembered but resurrected by a lightening strike. No sense ???
 
5) Sheila : Stab by a lance in the guts.  Fall of a tower = No damage ???
 
6) S-mart Deadite.  Shot multiple times.  Status = Dead
 
Hmm. Good point. I forgot about a lot of those although the death by shooting often bugged me a little.*

Thinking about it (and not including Evil Ash who is a special case*) isn't Linda the only deadite who came back after being beheaded?

That supports my thoughts in the matter. Beheadings work... most of the time. If there are no other subjects available (bearing in mind Ash and Linda were alone at that point apart from Henrietta, and I see her as the Evil's trump card) the decapitated corpse can be reanimated. But since the series is set in a fairly populated area there are plenty more bodies to choose from.

* I guess it shouldn't. Being shot that amount of times with a high powered gun (shot gun and rifle, if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure if the s-Mart ending is canon) would wreck the nervous system badly,** and if that's what the deadites use to reanimate people, it would be like ripping the electrics out of a remote control car. But it just felt wrong somehow. Something so much more final about a slice and dice or head explosion.

** That doesn't explain the deadite dolly or trees and vines of course. I think the spirit/force reanimates different things differently. With humans it's the brain and general central nervous system. Destroy or sever that and the spirit's control is kaput. At least for a bit.

Edit- I doubt my reasoning is the same as the writers. They probably just change the rules (if there ARE any rules) to service the story. But I enjoy coming up with 'in-universe' theories to marry this disparate stuff together. I probably think too much about it. Hee hee.
 
Mardeadite said:
Hmm. Good point. I forgot about a lot of those although the death by shooting often bugged me a little.*

Thinking about it (and not including Evil Ash  who is a special case*) isn't Linda the only deadite who came back after being beheaded?

That supports my thoughts in the matter. Beheadings work... most of the time. If there are no other subjects available (bearing in mind Ash and Linda were alone at that point apart from Henrietta, and I see her as the Evil's trump card) the decapitated corpse can be reanimated. But since the series is set in a fairly populated area there are plenty more bodies to choose from.

* I guess it shouldn't. Being shot that amount of times with a high powered gun (shot gun and rifle, if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure if the s-Mart ending is canon) would wreck the nervous system badly,**  and if that's what the deadites use to reanimate people, it would be like ripping the electrics out of a remote control car. But it just felt wrong somehow. Something so much more final about a slice and dice or head explosion.

** That doesn't explain the deadite dolly or trees and vines of course. I think the spirit/force reanimates different things differently. With humans it's the brain and general central nervous system. Destroy or sever that and the spirit's control is kaput. At least for a bit.

Edit- I doubt my reasoning is the same as the writers. They probably just change the rules (if there ARE any rules) to service the story. But I enjoy coming up with 'in-universe' theories to marry this disparate stuff together. I probably think too much about it. Hee hee.

At this point, I just think when you open the gates of hell.  The whole world turns into a playground for deadites.  They can possessed anything and do whatever they want : possess a hand, a lamp a deer head, a doll, defy physics...etc...I just think there's stronger deadites than other.  So the stronger they are, the harder they fall.  So this could explain why some of them leave a body more easily than another.  But once again, this is not explained at all in the story.  This is just my own theory to kind of "fix the flaws" in the Evil Dead trilogy concerning this rule.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Also, I don't care about Amanda.  I really want to care about her - Jill Marie Jones is great - but I simply don't.

I'm also having a hard time getting interested in her story. I hope they do something interesting with her character soon, because so far she's been a little lost in the storyline. Personally, I'm not enjoying Jill Marie Jones performance either. She seems half-asleep on every scene she's in. It's nothing but a nitpick, but the way she kept her arms crossed the entire time during this episode's trailer park scene really annoyed me. Maybe it's just that they haven't given her anything with any substance to do yet, but so far, she's been the weakest link in the cast for me. I really hope that being the real El Jefe is not the only thing they have in store for her, if that's the way they're going with her character. That's just too obvious. I want some sort of twist to come out of that and I'd like them to do something a little more interesting with the character.

Sutter Cane said:
At this point, I just think when you open the gates of hell.  The whole world turns into a playground for deadites.  They can possessed anything and do whatever they want : possess a hand, a lamp a deer head, a doll, defy physics...etc...I just think there's stronger deadites than other.  So the stronger they are, the harder they fall.  So this could explain why some of them leave a body more easily than another.  But once again, this is not explained at all in the story.  This is just my own theory to kind of "fix the flaws" in the Evil Dead trilogy concerning this rule.

I could live with that as an explanation. Still, I wish they would be more careful about how they portray this stuff from now on. I would actually prefer if they didn't set any rules at all. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with some deadites going quiet after getting beheaded if they would also show some living deadite heads and living cut-off limbs every now and then. It's just stating that decapitation is enough to take care of deadites that doesn't sit well with me.

Nick el Ass said:
Now I can't help, but wonder if Ash has just gotten lazy when it comes to deposing of Deadites while trying to get away from it as fast as possible, or he is simply forgetful... or there is something else going on such as him letting Kelly and Pablo do the burying while he made the crosses. 

And that's another thing I can add to the stuff I'm putting aside as lazy writing. It's not really such a big deal and it's not ruining the experience for me (yet), but there's just too much stuff the characters are doing just because it's convenient to move the plot forward and to keep the pace up. There hasn't been much attention given to detail or to keep the show more in line with the movies. Once again, I wanna say the show is a lot of fun and there's a lot to love here. I'm having a blast watching it, but still, I'd like to see a little more care going into the scripts.

Contrary to the rumors we've been hearing, I feel the episodes are actually getting better as the show goes on. This week's episode was definitely an improvement over last week's. I hope they keep that up. By the end of the season we could really have something special here if they do.
 
Michael J. Basset and Mimi Rogers. I'd say he did a bang up job of directing the 2nd episode, and there should be no worries.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Delighted by overwhelmingly good response 2 my <a href="https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead">@AshvsEvilDead</a>. Can’t tell ya how nervous I was 2 carry the legacy <a href="https://t.co/ccCy0xXK8H">pic.twitter.com/ccCy0xXK8H</a></p>&mdash; Michael J Bassett (@michaeljbassett) <a href="https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett/status/663482533657616385">November 8, 2015</a></blockquote>


CTUp2R-WEAAWWG3.jpg:large
 
Sutter Cane said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Also I'm tired of beheading being the end-all-be-all  of Deadite killing.  IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.  IT NEVER WORKED LIKE THAT. I will say that for as many times as they do it.

[/spoiler]

I know we already talked about this in a previous post.  I just wonder why this annoy you NOW and not over 20 years ago.  The Deadite's Death in Army of Darkness have no sense at all.  This is something I hated from Army of Darkness because they drastically changed the rules.  Once again they changed the rules but I think the show is a good compromise.  

Army of Darkness Deadites Death :

1) Acrobatic Deadite. Head severed = Status =  Death
 
2) Pit Deadite : Shot in the head and belly.  Fall back in the pit.  Status Harmless or Dead
 
3) Witch deadite : A few shots in the belly = Dead
 
4 )Evil Ash : Dismembered but resurrected by a lightening strike. No sense ???
 
5) Sheila : Stab by a lance in the guts.  Fall of a tower = No damage ???
 
6) S-mart Deadite.  Shot multiple times.  Status = Dead

Now see, I wouldn't complain if the show wasn't so focused on beheading/head severing and/or headshots = ultimate Deadite extinction.  I know the trilogy has a lot of Deadite death variety - the point is that out of all of the Deadites we have head severing and headshots have been basically the ONLY way for Deadites to die in the series so far aside from Ash's boss getting smashed into that car. (I could also add that except for Sheila's death and the majority of the deaths in AOD, total bodily destruction occurs in some manner - and we know why AOD's deaths are a lot cleaner, it was to get a lower MPAA rating).

And to be fair - Cheryl and Scott melted and Bad Ash exploded.

@Mardeadite: Henrietta keeps talking after her head's been severed in ED 2.

Oh Michael J. Bassett - there were less than a hundred of us in the tags on Twitter.   That's not universal praise.
 
Top Bottom