EDIT - looking more closely while I grabbed that screencap, it also looks like there's no tiny human skull on the hilt like in the other iterations - I think it's just a plain bone. So curious to see if this is "THE" knife or something else - and it'll be interesting to see if Ash recognizes it at all or if that's another part of the full story that'll get swept under the rug.
It definitely looks different, but I still say it's the same dagger with a different design and it's pretty easy to explain how Ruby has it.
Since she's a Knowby, it makes sense she would have access to the professor's things after the events of the first films and she probably went to the cabin at some point in time.
I really hope they don't sweep this part of the story under the rug and I still have hopes they'll explain the book somehow. They could actually explain both in just one fell swoop.
Some nifty behind the scenes stuff from Starz on Books from Beyond. http://www.starz.com/originals/ashvsevildead/video/355b292e6fac418cbe3528f4ba745417
@Muzzlehatch: The thing is that they all vetoed longer episodes so they could focus on the action. Bruce said a couple of times that he didn't want to explore Ash's feelings in depth
@TheOtherFrogBrother: Oh definitely, and that's the only thing that comes close to making it palatable. But the show wants Ash to be a stud and a loser in the same breath, and something feels off about the whole thing. AOD pulled the same shtick off by making Ash extremely angry and haughty, which was what made it fun to watch him get smacked around by skeletons. Here he's either goofy or cool in intervals. It's strange.
The AOD comic adaption is all over the place when it comes to his character - my favorite part is when he talks about his dad paying his way through college while at the same time complaining about "rich kids".
@Sutter Cane: Interesting comparison to Harry Potter - I can kind of see what you mean RE the effects, which feel like a little bit more of a gory take on Potter.
@ashevildead123 - there's definitely a ton of Chatterer in the creature!
@Joe: I think the elbow bump was probably the best part about Pablo and Ash's interaction!
You're also likely quite on the money about Kelly, I think.
I think it's interesting we agree on Lionel and that he was fun. Hopefully
He'll be even more fun in Deadite form next week.
Hurley's right; it's generic rock, I don't think it's original JLD score material either. When the score comes out would anyone like to attest to what it is?
I'm also very certain that that scene is part of a vision quest Ash has to go through to figure out what to do next
@Nick - I kind of really want to know what they say in episode 5
When she goes full-on Deadite.
@KingRob - I can see what they were trying to shoot for with the distortion effect. I think maybe if they'd kept just the digital noise and not the mouth effect it would've been more effective? But that's just my thought on it.
I can kind of see what you mean, and I think I have an idea of where they could be going with this in season 2 (Every week they have to go from town to town to vanquish a different demon, using the book as a guide?)
I've been avoiding the aftershow parts because they keep on playing spoiler warnings but I'm not shocked by that, sadly.
@KingRob and @Gut0nez: Spoiler/spec Re Dagger - Major Ruby spoiler under here, so you might want to come back to it later:
I think Gut0nez is right, I'm pretty sure that's the Kandarian dagger, it's just been altered like the book has due to rights issues. I still have no idea how much if any influence Tom Sullivan had over the general look of the props in the series. It's easy enough to imagine that after Ruby claimed Annie's body she took the dagger. Makes no sense that she doesn't have the book, tho.
Seeing how much care went into the construction of the practical effects makes me even more dismayed about the CGI choices.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twv3VHzD2gI[/video]
"12 more payments and she's mine !" haha, and holy shit the delta's been rigged up with a nitro tank, that's fucking awesome. You could also say ash is going fast and furious now
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twv3VHzD2gI[/video]
"12 more payments and she's mine !" haha, and holy shit the delta's been rigged up with a nitro tank, that's fucking awesome. You could also say ash is going fast and furious now
Whoa, did they just reveal what the characters see when the evil force chases them? Maybe that's just dust on the road being swept up by the force, but it's the first time in the series where the camera turns the other way to show the point of view of the characters being chased by it. Nice throwback to the beginning of first film too, with the evil force messing with the car and trying to make it crash (remember the steering wheel slipping out of Scotty's hand?). Also, I guess Ash's line pretty much confirms that it's a new car and not the original Classic.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twv3VHzD2gI[/video]
"12 more payments and she's mine !" haha, and holy shit the delta's been rigged up with a nitro tank, that's fucking awesome. You could also say ash is going fast and furious now
Am I reading too much into it or did they just reveal what the characters see when the evil force chases them? Maybe that's just dust on the road being swept up by the force, but it's the first time in the series where the camera turns the other way to show the point of view of the characters being chased by it. Nice throwback to the beginning of first film too, with the evil force messing with the car and trying to make it crash (remember the steering wheel slipping out of Scotty's hand?). Also, I guess Ash's line pretty much confirms that it's a new car and not the original Classic.
i think it was just dust being swept up from the road and tbh i think the evil force is a invisible entity until it posses someone, and if i remember correctly from the 2nd evil dead they had to bring the evil force out into it's real form before they could send it back in time.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twv3VHzD2gI[/video]
"12 more payments and she's mine !" haha, and holy shit the delta's been rigged up with a nitro tank, that's fucking awesome. You could also say ash is going fast and furious now
Am I reading too much into it or did they just reveal what the characters see when the evil force chases them? Maybe that's just dust on the road being swept up by the force, but it's the first time in the series where the camera turns the other way to show the point of view of the characters being chased by it. Nice throwback to the beginning of first film too, with the evil force messing with the car and trying to make it crash (remember the steering wheel slipping out of Scotty's hand?). Also, I guess Ash's line pretty much confirms that it's a new car and not the original Classic.
i think it was just dust being swept up from the road and tbh i think the evil force is a invisible entity until it posses someone, and if i remember correctly from the 2nd evil dead they had to bring the evil force out into it's real form before they could send it back in time.
Yeah, I know. I also always assumed it was invisible and that the characters would just "feel it" approaching. So, yeah, that's probably just dust on the road. Still, it's the first time the camera points at the force and we see what the characters are seeing. Am I wrong about this?
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twv3VHzD2gI[/video]
"12 more payments and she's mine !" haha, and holy shit the delta's been rigged up with a nitro tank, that's fucking awesome. You could also say ash is going fast and furious now
Am I reading too much into it or did they just reveal what the characters see when the evil force chases them? Maybe that's just dust on the road being swept up by the force, but it's the first time in the series where the camera turns the other way to show the point of view of the characters being chased by it. Nice throwback to the beginning of first film too, with the evil force messing with the car and trying to make it crash (remember the steering wheel slipping out of Scotty's hand?). Also, I guess Ash's line pretty much confirms that it's a new car and not the original Classic.
i think it was just dust being swept up from the road and tbh i think the evil force is a invisible entity until it posses someone, and if i remember correctly from the 2nd evil dead they had to bring the evil force out into it's real form before they could send it back in time.
Yeah, I know. I also always assumed it was invisible and that the characters would just "feel it" approaching. So, yeah, that's probably just dust on the road. Still, it's the first time the camera points at the force and we see what the characters are seeing. Am I wrong about this?
I think it was just focusing on the big dust cloud the evil force was leaving in it's wake rather then actually focusing on the entity itself, that confused me as well when i first watched it.
EDIT
I do believe you are right that this is the first time for the evil dead series to show the evil force without it being in a pov shot
Thank you, Hurley - crossposting into fresh thread!
RE The Force
I think it's one of the forms it can take on; I remember Sam saying that it resembles the ugliest, most foul, most unspeakable horror in existence to human eyes.
I came home today, and there were the first five episodes waiting!
I watched the first three (so that's a rewatch of the first two, and I saw the third for the first time). Nice to see them in beter quality on a bigger screen.
The sound, however is rather low. I don't know if this is a Virgin Media issue, or if that issue was on Starz too. I get the same issue when playing DVDs and Blu-ray. Not a big problem, it just requires me turning up the volume more.
I didnt enjoy the first two as much, but thats probably just because I've seen them before. That's not to say they were bad, mind. I enjoyed them well enough on first viewing.Some of the acting and cliches do grate a little for me, and I think it just bothers me a bit more when I've nothing new to focus on, if that makes sense. (I actually really like the Amanda actress's acting by the way.)
I thoroughly enjoyed the new episode. A nice freaky demon design, and I enjoyed learning more about the history of the book.
I think Ruby's dagger is supposed to be the same as the one from the films as well. Is this the first time we've seen it manifest that kind of power?
I think the comment that only Evil or stupid people can use the book should not be taken too literally. I just think those are the two kinds of people who are most likely to read from the book.
Ash leaving Amanda with the dead body: I just saw that as his usual carelessness. Much like just leaving Kelly's dad in the grave last week. It really was not malice.
I'm actually glad the episode was less action-filled to start with.
I have been a bit concerned that things would get repetitive, but three episodes in, we have got some variety.
Overall, this is shapiing up to be a good series, despite what I said at the start. I didn't mean that to be overly negative. I think it's largely just the effect of watching two episodes again that I only saw a short while ago.
I thought the demon was defeated a bit too easily. It does make me wonder about the nature of spells though. I.e:
Has the language of the book always been intrinsically occultic? Or was it once just the spoken language of an ancient people? Is it just the intent of the dark ones that gave the spells power? So could English be used in the same way? In fact, is that what Kelly did, when she hit the demon with the book and said "Go back to hell!" She said those words with determination, defiance, possibly even faith. She has nothing else to lose, and coupled with the book of summoning the words had power.
Could that be the key to Ash finding something within himself to send the Evil back? I.e. Not so much the words themselves as, said with the right focus and intent.
As that old lady deadite from episode 1 said "We have come to test the mettle of man." (Or words to that affect.)
Wow. I kind of went into essay mode then. And probably overthinking something which is meant to be light horror comedy!