Ash vs Evil Dead S01E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
Hurley said:
Joem1k said:
1. Ruby is in fact one of the dark ones, or one of her family member's ancestors was part of the dark ones.

If Ruby truly is a Dark One or in some other way connected to Evil, then the interaction between her and Kelly's dad Deadite doesn't make much sense.

Actually it kinda does cause she does ask him if he had the book with him, then the deadite decided to be a smartass and not tell her. That tells me that ruby is either after the book for something inside of it or she's wanting it back to take to the other dark one's so they can use it to take over the world.

My theory, cutlined in case I'm right

Is that Ruby's looking for the book to either punish Ash with it or make sure it's not in his hands.  All the spoilers indicate she's Ash's opposite - has been running around 'cleaning up the messes he's left behind' - a competent, merciless Deadite killer.  So that's my theory!

You're welcome for the quotes, Hurley!
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ok, so this episode was... Not as good as I thought it would be. There were actually a lot of really good ideas in it and a lot of moments I thoroughly enjoyed. They actually fixed a few problems I had with previous episodes (finally a talking deadite head and moving limbs). Unfortunately, there was also a lot of stuff that didn't quite work for me, like Pablo building Ash a new hand and about 50% of Ash's trip. I thought it was very inconsistent in quality, focus and tone. Some of the dialogue and characterization was very good ("Total lack of self awareness will make it difficult for you to find what you're looking for") while some of it was very bad. I liked a lot of the ideas in this episode and the visual style and direction were both pretty good, but the script was all over the place.

* Please tell me Pablo knowing how to make an anamatronic hands out of video game parts will eventually be explained.  Even AOD explained Ash's engineering student status away.

Agreed. I didn't like it much in AoD and I don't like it here. I particularly dread the possibility of his new hand looking like a Nintendo power glove. That's just stupid. It's completely unnecessary and it made no sense to happen in this particular episode. So much stuff happening, so much interesting stuff to touch on and they decide to spend precious time on Pablo building Ash a video game hand with skills that completely came out of nowhere?

* OK, canon nitpick: Deadite flesh melts when the Evil is dispelled.  How the hell hasn't Ash's hand melted in the past thirty years?

I'm more bothered by the fact that it didn't naturally decay at all in 30 years and that Ruby is walking around with the thing wrapped in a piece of cloth. I know from the behind the scenes video that originally it was supposed to be inside a glass jar, but they had to change it cause it didn't look right. It's understandable, but the way they decided to go with seems like a really stupid thing for Ruby to be doing. All in all, I actually like the fact that the hand is back, so this is a plot hole I'm willing to let go of just because we don't know for sure how the evil possession thing actually works.

* Ash's totally random dream about Jacksonville with his lizard, his other hand, a pier and the ocean.  It feels more of a Bruce dream than an Ash wish.  (I'm shocked but find it refreshing that there weren't a hundred bikini models servicing his every whim).  You'd think his dream would be to be with Linda or something, instead of someplace where they might have been together, hanging out in the one of his might-have-beens.  The fact that she wasn't physically there sort of dragged down the fantasy element there.

Same here. Ash's vision started great and the return to the cabin was awesome, but that whole Jacksonville part and Eli talking to Ash lost me completely. I didn't even know what the hell I was watching anymore.

* Black-eyed Deadites.  I'm surprised that hasn't caused more of a furor.

Yeah, I was also expecting white eyes when she looked into the mirror, but I'm letting this one slide because Eligos is a different type of demon and they needed to make it clear that it was Eligos inside of her. I'm actually ok with this cause it separates possessed Kelly from regular deadites. She isn't exactly a regular deadite after all.

* If that actually is the way The Force looks in general and not just a way it can manifest itself, I'm going to be disappointed.

Agreed. I had no problem with that scene on this episode, but I hope they won't do it again. They didn't even put a demonic face on that cloud of dust or anything. I chose to see that as the force sweeping up dust from the road.

* Ash says he has twelve more payments on the Classic, and Bruce replied to a Tweet insinuating that he financed a 30 year loan, meaning the car is the same car.  It could be typical Bruce-teases-the-audience stuff, or it could mean more.

Crap. I know they're ignoring AoD because of rights issues or something, but not mentioning anything from it is completely different than pretending it doesn't exist and flat out contradicting it. I don't care about Bruce's tweet and I honestly don't think Bruce cares about this at all. It can't be the same car and so far we haven't seen anything in the actual show that states that it is. That's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

* Did the show imply that, through Eligos, Pablo, Kelly and Ash have kind of a mental connection now? 

I didn't notice it, to be completely honest. I sincerely hope not. I just don't care about any of that stuff.

Something I don't get is Lucy Lawless plays the sister of the character that helps Ash get into the portal at the end of evil dead 2. Her sister dies by getting stabbed by the skull knife in her back at the end of the film so how can she even know of Ashe's existence? He left the cabin before anyone else even knew he was there to begin with.Everyone else was dead by the end of that film.

Well, she has Ash's hand so... Fingerprints? It could explain how she knows Ash was in the cabin, but it still doesn't explain why she's so certain that Ash was the one who killed everyone instead of just another victim who was traumatized and disappeared after the events in the cabin. Maybe she checked for his fingerprints on the dagger? It was Ash's hand that stabbed Annie in the back with the dagger after all. That would certainly incriminate Ash for killing Annie, at least.

This is a valid point, along with how could Ruby get the hand and the Kandarian dagger, but Ash has the Necronomicon. I'm afraid they're not gonna answer any of these questions any time soon, because they are maybe still hoping they'll get the Army of Darkness rights eventually.

However I'm still curious how the rights work. Ash should be able to say that he travelled to the past, because that happened in Evil Dead II, but they are not mentioning it, maybe because they can't say how he got back and then it would be too confusing for the audience? I don't know really...

There's no need to mention Army of Darkness to explain any of those things. They could work around it. I'm still hoping that at least the parts that concern the dagger and the book will be explained in a later episode. It needs to be. It's too big of a noticeable plot hole to remain unexplained.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Gut0nez said:
* Please tell me Pablo knowing how to make an anamatronic hands out of video game parts will eventually be explained.  Even AOD explained Ash's engineering student status away.

Agreed. I didn't like it much in AoD and I don't like it here. I particularly dread the possibility of his new hand looking like a Nintendo power glove. That's just stupid. It's completely unnecessary and it made no sense to happen in this particular episode. So much stuff happening, so much interesting stuff to touch on and they decide to spend precious time on Pablo building Ash a video game hand with skills that completely came out of nowhere?

Actually the skills did not come out of nowhere cause he worked in the electronics section of value stop so he must have some skills in electrical engineering, if they decided to put him in that position, hell even ash said it best "Hey you made it to electronics that's the big time !", now as for the final product for the hand, i think it's gonna look way more different then what we first see when he pulled the glove out, plus pablo was talking about adding more thing's onto it then it just being a  new hand.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
Actually the skills did not come out of nowhere cause he worked in the electronics section of value stop so he must have some skills electrical engineering  if they put him in that position hell even ash said it best "Hey you made it to electronics that's the big time !", now as for the final  product, i think it's gonna look way more different then what we first see when he pulled the glove out, plus pablo was talking about adding more thing's onto it then it just being a new hand.

Ok, so Pablo's skills got maybe as much explanation as Ash's skills in AoD. Thanks for bringing that exchange to my attention, as I wouldn't make that connection myself. The thing is I don't like the very idea of it and the hand looking like a Power Glove is just a worst case scenario that was very much implied by the scene. I'd be very relieved if the finished product doesn't look like that. Also, the implication that Pablo might add more stuff to it somehow makes it even worse in my mind.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Gut0nez said:
Joem1k said:
Actually the skills did not come out of nowhere cause he worked in the electronics section of value stop so he must have some skills electrical engineering  if they put him in that position hell even ash said it best "Hey you made it to electronics that's the big time !", now as for the final  product, i think it's gonna look way more different then what we first see when he pulled the glove out, plus pablo was talking about adding more thing's onto it then it just being a new hand.

Ok, so Pablo's skills got maybe as much explanation as Ash's skills in AoD. Thanks for bringing that exchange to my attention, as I wouldn't make that connection myself. The thing is I don't like the very idea of it and the hand looking like a Power Glove is just a worst case scenario that was very much implied by the scene. I'd be very relieved if the finished product doesn't look like that. Also the fact that Pablo might add more stuff to it somehow makes it even worse in my mind.

I think it will bring more variety to ash's arsenal if that is gonna be the case, but i wonder if we will see a variety of hand attachments or weapon attachment's over the course of this show, i mean there's a lot you could do in that aspect. It will be fun to see it in action once pablo has it finished it  and ready to roll.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Gut0nez said:
Ok, so this episode was... Not as good as I thought it would be. There was actually a lot of really good ideas in it and a lot of moments I thoroughly enjoyed. They actually fixed a few problems I had with previous episodes (finally a talking deadite head and moving limbs). Unfortunately, there was also a lot of stuff that didn't quite work for me, like Pablo building Ash a new hand and about 50% of Ash's trip. I thought it was very inconsistent in quality, focus and tone. Some of the dialogue and characterization was very good ("Total lack of self awareness will make it difficult for you to find what you're looking for") while some of it was very bad. I liked a lot of the ideas on this episode and the visual style and direction were both pretty good, but the script was all over the place.

* Please tell me Pablo knowing how to make an anamatronic hands out of video game parts will eventually be explained.  Even AOD explained Ash's engineering student status away.

Agreed. I didn't like it much in AoD and I don't like it here. I particularly dread the possibility of his new hand looking like a Nintendo power glove. That's just stupid. It's completely unnecessary and it made no sense to happen in this particular episode. So much stuff happening, so much interesting stuff to touch on and they decide to spend precious time on Pablo building Ash a video game hand with skills that completely came out of nowhere?

Pablo simply borrowed the electronics from the "power glove" for the new hand, and my guess is if they use the hand he builds it will not look like one, hehe. It is not like they decided to do like Freddy in Nightmare on Elm Street with the whole "Now you are playing with power" thing.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ruby actually a Dark One!? That would be super twisty and unexpected, but I would never bet against Joem1k after he nailed the Kelly possession. lol I kinda suspected Ash would be getting another hand, if only because when asked on one of the panels if the AoD gauntlet would return, Raimi replied 'Not THAT hand' in a way that suggested something a bit sexier than Rosewood carved by Monks. And yeah, its not THE most satisfying explanation, but they did at least seed the idea of Pablo's skills with a quick line of dialogue. I think the writers actually do a really good job characterising in this way. In a 30 min show where action is the priority it must be tricky.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Big "eh" from me on this episode. When I sit back and think on it as a whole, it just screams "filler" to me. Sure, there were some plot developments, but nothing we didn't really already see in previous episodes. So not a terribly rewarding viewing experience for me this time around.

Dialogue - I'm in total agreement with Maid and Gut (Guto? What's your preference there?) about the dialogue - it was all over the place, and felt very poorly written. Not to take a jab at all of us, but I sorta felt like the dialogue was written by someone who was more a fan than a writer - it sorta kept the tone of what's come before, but was incredibly bland and unimaginative.

Ruby - I still don't know what to make of her, beyond the fact that she's incredibly underutilized and had better get a significant increase in screen time in future episodes. As it is, it looks like they're just building up to her and Ash having a confrontation (or anti-confrontation where he gets away and she's still after him) in the last or second-to-last episode, and that's a damn shame. I like the Dark One theory, but I'm not sure we can have that much faith in the writers. Right now I'm going to assume they'll never actually explain how she's been tracking Ash, and the reaction shots from the previous episode were just for dramatic effect rather than her having some sort of Necro-Sense that tingles when bad shit goes down.

The hand - I get why they didn't go with the bottle thing, but seriously - at least put the damn thing in a tool box or something so it's locked up and not rolling around loose in the trunk. Again I point to lazy writing there.

Amanda - I know we're only four episodes in, but right now I really, really, REALLY don't care about her at all, and sorta wish she was never a part of the show. Her bits make the show feel very uneven - like they're trying to make two completely different shows and smash them together. B plots are a standard part of television, but every time we shift focus to Amanda all I want is for her to do whatever dopey thing she's going to do so I can get back to seeing the story I came to watch. It's a tonal thing I think - like constantly drinking orange juice while trying to brush your teeth. By mixing two things that don't go together, you're ruining both.

Ash's hair - I'm just happy someone said it.

Demon stuff - black-eyed demons and big billowing clouds? Again I wonder how much Supernatural the creators have been watching. No that they invented those things, but c'mon - if you're going to use the same ideas, at least go all the way and try to match their show's tone as well - I'd love to see a darker AvED (while still keeping nuggets of comedy like SPN does).

Ash's Vision - made a hell of a lot more sense after watching the post-show mini feature. Or the Jacksonville bit, at least. The majority of that whole thing I feel like I could have done without, though. The throwbacks were great, but I feel like we're all just super happy to get scraps when we should be getting a full meal. The show should be full of these sorts of throwbacks - it makes us happy as old fans, points new fans toward the source material ($$$!) and would help shape the overall narrative. Beyond those, I feel like the whole vision thing took way too much time away from the episode - or just enough time where it felt like they made it as long as they did just so they didn't have to come up with anything else to do. Plenty of other shows have done the "stuck in a vision for an episode" thing with much more aplomb.

So, yeah - always happy to have more Ash, even if it sounds like all I'm doing is bitching, but I just feel like the quality of the content we're getting isn't up to snuff. I know it's typical of a fanboy to complain about the thing they're getting when they should just be happy they're getting anything at all - I just feel that as a television show, it's not doing a great job quality-wise. It's still a good time, just not on the level writing or production-wise as other horror shows. And no - saying you're intentionally making it a bad doesn't excuse the lack of quality. There's schlocky, and then there's lazy. This show too often feels like the latter.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

KingRob said:
I'm in total agreement with Maid and Gut (Guto? What's your preference there?) about the dialogue - it was all over the place, and felt very poorly written. Not to take a jab at all of us, but I sorta felt like the dialogue was written by someone who was more a fan than a writer - it sorta kept the tone of what's come before, but was incredibly bland and unimaginative.

I have no preference, but I think Gut sounds a little more natural in english. I wish I could change my username back to DyD, which was my username in the old forums, but I only remembered what it used to be after registering here. It's no big deal, though.

So, yeah - always happy to have more Ash, even if it sounds like all I'm doing is bitching, but I just feel like the quality of the content we're getting isn't up to snuff. I know it's typical of a fanboy to complain about the thing they're getting when they should just be happy they're getting anything at all - I just feel that as a television show, it's not doing a great job quality-wise. It's still a good time, just not on the level writing or production-wise as other horror shows. And no - saying you're intentionally making it a bad doesn't excuse the lack of quality. There's schlocky, and then there's lazy. This show too often feels like the latter.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling about the show since the first episode. Ash vs. Evil Dead isn't exactly what I wanted, but I was willing to give it a chance and I expected great things from it (specially since I would probably never get what I actually wanted and like you said, I'm always happy to have more Ash). I've been having fun with it and it's great to see Bruce as Ash fighting deadites again, but I haven't been happy with a lot of stuff they've been doing on the show. It's been as exciting as it's been disappointing. What you said about being happy we're getting scraps when we should be getting a full meal is right on the money for me. It's like waking up christmas morning all excited and finding out that you're only getting socks as a present. The show definitely has its moments and it really shines here and there, but it has been terribly inconsistent in quality. The writing in particular, has been very inconsistent in tone, dialogue and characterization and sometimes "lazy" when it comes to plot details. I still have high hopes for the second half of the season. That's where I think everything will truly come together and where they're keeping the best stuff, but so far, I'm not ready to include the show as an official continuation of the movies. I'll probably end up writing it off as an alternative, optional thing, pretty much like the comics. If the show ever gets a second season, I hope they'll try harder. Hopefully they'll get more time to do things right and think things through. They really need to start paying more attention to details and characterization. I agree with what you said about the show feeling like it's written by a fan rather than a real writer. I'm not happy with DiGregorio as showrunner. This might sound too mean cause I'm certain that he worked his ass off to make this thing happen and it probably wouldn't have happened without him, but he seems a little lost, unsure of what he's doing and in over his head. I've been mostly happy with the directors so far, but the writing team needs an improvement moving forward. I'll keep watching and hoping for the best, but the show hasn't done much so far to fill me with confidence that they'll get their act together.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Although more popular than Books from Beyond, this seems to be the episode that has reviewers questioning Ash vs. Evil Dead's running time and character writing. (99.9% also seem sure that we've just had our first look at the Evil Force. I tend to agree with the theory on this thread that the force is invisible and was just kicking up dust, but I also know Reboot/Remake think and can easily imagine some dumbass from the writing team saying ' Well, we GOTTA show the force'!) For me, the character work in the show is generally fine and sometimes quite impressive. I don't want Ash to make a 5 minute speech that amounts to 'I'm sad and lonely and guilty', (it COULD work, and if it happens it'll happen when we meet Linda) I much prefer how they seed this stuff with music, flashbacks, and Campbell's facial expressions when asked awkward questions. Less on the nose. I agree the character work seems lacking when compared to other horror shows, (Walking Dead, The Strain) but compared to the Evil Dead Trilogy, we are getting much more than before. You couldn't say that Pablo and Kelly are any less fleshed out than Jake and Bobby-Jo, Annie, the Wise Man or Arthur could you? (We won't mention Amanda. *cough*) The running time? Well, I always want more. I think this show will work best as a marathon, for sure.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Thanks for that link, Nick!

Responding bit by bit:

Joem1k said:
Gut0nez said:
Joem1k said:
Actually the skills did not come out of nowhere cause he worked in the electronics section of value stop so he must have some skills electrical engineering  if they put him in that position hell even ash said it best "Hey you made it to electronics that's the big time !", now as for the final  product, i think it's gonna look way more different then what we first see when he pulled the glove out, plus pablo was talking about adding more thing's onto it then it just being a new hand.

Ok, so Pablo's skills got maybe as much explanation as Ash's skills in AoD. Thanks for bringing that exchange to my attention, as I wouldn't make that connection myself. The thing is I don't like the very idea of it and the hand looking like a Power Glove is just a worst case scenario that was very much implied by the scene. I'd be very relieved if the finished product doesn't look like that. Also the fact that Pablo might add more stuff to it somehow makes it even worse in my mind.

I think it will bring more variety to ash's arsenal if that is gonna be the case, but i wonder if we will see a variety of hand attachments or weapon attachment's over the course of this show, i mean there's a lot you could do in that aspect. It will be fun to see it in action once pablo has it finished it  and ready to roll.

I'll admit my one wish is for Ash's hand to have some kind of flamethrower attachment, simply on a "that would be so cool" level.
.
Throwing in some more replies:  @Gut0nez 

I'm more bothered by the fact that it didn't naturally decay at all in 30 years and that Ruby is walking around with the thing wrapped in a piece of cloth. I know from the behind the scenes video that originally it was supposed to be inside a glass jar, but they had to change it cause it didn't look right. It's understandable, but the way they decided to go with seems like a really stupid thing for Ruby to be doing. All in all, I actually like the fact that the hand is back, so this is a plot hole I'm willing to let go of just because we don't know for sure how the evil possession thing actually works.

I want to know how a completely dead, unmoving hand has been pointing her toward Ash for years when he's spent the past thirty driving in a triangle from Value Stop to Value Stop.  If she's smart enough to track him this far then she should've found him years ago.


@KingRob:

Ruby - I still don't know what to make of her, beyond the fact that she's incredibly underutilized and had better get a significant increase in screen time in future episodes. As it is, it looks like they're just building up to her and Ash having a confrontation (or anti-confrontation where he gets away and she's still after him) in the last or second-to-last episode, and that's a damn shame. I like the Dark One theory, but I'm not sure we can have that much faith in the writers. Right now I'm going to assume they'll never actually explain how she's been tracking Ash, and the reaction shots from the previous episode were just for dramatic effect rather than her having some sort of Necro-Sense that tingles when bad shit goes down. 

I'm giving them the thinnest of passes RE Ruby's status, which was apparently so sparring because they only had Lucy for a few weeks due to her schedule on Salem.  But yeah, they need to flesh her out way, way more if they want us to care about her.

Amanda - I know we're only four episodes in, but right now I really, really, REALLY don't care about her at all, and sorta wish she was never a part of the show. Her bits make the show feel very uneven - like they're trying to make two completely different shows and smash them together. B plots are a standard part of television, but every time we shift focus to Amanda all I want is for her to do whatever dopey thing she's going to do so I can get back to seeing the story I came to watch. It's a tonal thing I think - like constantly drinking orange juice while trying to brush your teeth. By mixing two things that don't go together, you're ruining both.

Exactly; the thing is I WANT to care about her.  They've made her sympathetic, sure, and shown her to be capable, but since the pilot she's done very little other than charge in to cause chaos and then be easily dispatched by the evil again and again.   Now she'll probably be Ruby's second for awhile.   

Ash's hair - I'm just happy someone said it.

I'm so immured to Bruce's hair at this point, since he's basically wearing it like that IRL.

Gut0nez said:
KingRob said:
I'm in total agreement with Maid and Gut (Guto? What's your preference there?) about the dialogue - it was all over the place, and felt very poorly written. Not to take a jab at all of us, but I sorta felt like the dialogue was written by someone who was more a fan than a writer - it sorta kept the tone of what's come before, but was incredibly bland and unimaginative.

I have no preference, but I think Gut sounds a little more natural in english. I wish I could change my username back to DyD, which was my username in the old forums, but I only remembered what it used to be after registering here. It's no big deal, though.

So, yeah - always happy to have more Ash, even if it sounds like all I'm doing is bitching, but I just feel like the quality of the content we're getting isn't up to snuff. I know it's typical of a fanboy to complain about the thing they're getting when they should just be happy they're getting anything at all - I just feel that as a television show, it's not doing a great job quality-wise. It's still a good time, just not on the level writing or production-wise as other horror shows. And no - saying you're intentionally making it a bad doesn't excuse the lack of quality. There's schlocky, and then there's lazy. This show too often feels like the latter.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling about the show since the first episode. Ash vs. Evil Dead isn't exactly what I wanted, but I was willing to give it a chance and I expected great things from it (specially since I would probably never get what I actually wanted and like you said, I'm always happy to have more Ash). I've been having fun with it and it's great to see Bruce as Ash fighting deadites again, but I haven't been happy with a lot of stuff they've been doing on the show. It's been as exciting as it's been disappointing. What you said about being happy we're getting scraps when we should be getting a full meal is right on the money for me. It's like waking up christmas morning all excited and finding out that you're only getting socks as a present. The show definitely has its moments and it really shines here and there, but it has been terribly inconsistent in quality. The writing in particular, has been very inconsistent in tone, dialogue and characterization and sometimes "lazy" when it comes to plot details. I still have high hopes for the second half of the season. That's where I think everything will truly come together and where they're keeping the best stuff, but so far, I'm not ready to include the show as an official continuation of the movies. I'll probably end up writing it off as an alternative, optional thing, pretty much like the comics. If the show ever gets a second season, I hope they'll try harder. Hopefully they'll get more time to do things right and think things through. They really need to start paying more attention to details and characterization. I agree with what you said about the show feeling like it's written by a fan rather than a real writer. I'm not happy with DiGregorio as showrunner. This might sound too mean cause I'm certain that he worked his ass off to make this thing happen and it probably wouldn't have happened without him, but he seems a little lost, unsure of what he's doing and in over his head. I've been mostly happy with the directors so far, but the writing team needs an improvement moving forward. I'll keep watching and hoping for the best, but the show hasn't done much so far to fill me with confidence that they'll get their act together.

This reflects a lot of what I feel, honestly.  It's not stabbing my 'no' button the way the remake did, which is something, but the show keeps darting between being fun and making me raise an eyebrow in a negative way.

@TOFB: Kelly and Pablo definitely have more meat on their characters, I agree - but are they fleshed out in a way that's appealing?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Frog brings up another good point I hadn't made, but kept thinking about during the episode (and previous episodes) - one of my absolute favorite things about the films is Bruce's expressiveness. All of those wonderful faces were really one of (if not THE) main source of my entertainment, and I keep wanting to see some of that return, but so far haven't really beeing seeing the expressions that scream "Ash" to me. Moreso just Bruce's standard half-frowny-ness, or that candid look he has where he raises both eyebrows before saying something sardonic.

Anyone else notice that absence, or is it just me?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

I was thinking today about Ruby and why she has these two particular items from the cabin. Because it's actually pretty funny that though she believes that Ash killed her sister, she's actually walking around with the only two items responsible for Annie's death, because it was Ash's hand stabbing her with the dagger!

This may also explain why she has these two specific artefacts. Maybe when she entered the cabin, she saw dead Annie with the dagger in her back and the hand around it. But if that were true, why would she still believe Ash is responsible? Would she think that Ash killed Annie and then chopped off his own hand? Or that he chopped it off before and made it possessed so that it would do his bidding? Or is it really just coincidence that Ruby found the dagger and the hand and she in fact doesn't know that these two things actually killed her sister?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
I want to know how a completely dead, unmoving hand has been pointing her toward Ash for years when he's spent the past thirty driving in a triangle from Value Stop to Value Stop.  If she's smart enough to track him this far then she should've found him years ago.

That's a good point. I feel a lot of the plot problems come from the fact that it's been so long since we've last seen Ash and that this is the first time the story takes place in an open world, with multiple places and a lot of characters who have no idea what's going on. It seems like they had too much ground to cover in very little time and they weren't prepared for it. It seems they didn't give much thought to what exactly happened during those thirty years and to the effect a more sprawling adventure would have on mythology consistency.

Frog brings up another good point I hadn't made, but kept thinking about during the episode (and previous episodes) - one of my absolute favorite things about the films is Bruce's expressiveness. All of those wonderful faces were really one of (if not THE) main source of my entertainment, and I keep wanting to see some of that return, but so far haven't really beeing seeing the expressions that scream "Ash" to me. Moreso just Bruce's standard half-frowny-ness, or that candid look he has where he raises both eyebrows before saying something sardonic.

Anyone else notice that absence, or is it just me?

You're not alone. The problem I have with Ash's characterization so far is that they're going too far with the "funny one-liner stupid/arrogant guy" persona. There hasn't been much variation on that and very little honest emotion from his character. To me, the best character moments he had so far were the moments in which he was scared, mostly during the first episode and at the beginning of his trip on this one. Other than that, it's like this Ash only operates in one mode. They've basically turned the character into a caricature of what he is and I'm still failing to see a compelling character arc for him. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but even though I can see Ash in there and I'm enjoying Bruce's performance, something feels "off" about the character. Actually, now that I think about it, I think the main thing that's been bothering me about the show is how they're keeping everything on the surface, seemingly on purpose. They're not really diving into anything, be it the story, the characters or even the mythology. It feels like it's on autopilot.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

It's true that most of the writers are from Workaholics and other small shows and so they are not as experienced as other TV writers would be. And I think that though they are on the right track, they need to find themselves a bit. For example it troubles me that the character of Ash varies a great deal. He can be an experienced Evil Dead hunter that knows from the start that Kelly's mom is a Deadite, but when the script in the next episode demands summoning a demon, Ash is suddenly a complete idiot that want's to "fix the reading from the book by reading from the book" (yeah, Ash is stupid, but not as stupid as to make the same mistake several times).

But this is just one example of how the writers I think are going the right way, but they need more practice and they need to know what this show is (for example that not every time Ash opens his mouth, he must crack some half-baked joke - this for me was most noticeable in the fourth episode). So I agree with Maid that the show may kick a lot more ass in the second half of the season where everybody will kinda "know what they are doing" a bit more. This show is fantastic, for me it really is, but I still see it's a bit ruff around the edges, like a lot of shows in their first season are. But the general path this show follows is the right one. And that's what matters.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Aw, Guys! I wish you were loving the show as much as me! ( The only changes I'd make are cosmetic) But yeah, I agree that the best seems yet to come.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Hurley said:
It's true that most of the writers are from Workaholics and other small shows and so they are not as experienced as other TV writers would be. And I think that though they are on the right track, they need to find themselves a bit. For example it troubles me that the character of Ash varies a great deal. He can be an experienced Evil Dead hunter that knows from the start that Kelly's mom is a Deadite, but when the script in the next episode demands summoning a demon, Ash is suddenly a complete idiot that want's to "fix the reading from the book by reading from the book" (yeah, Ash is stupid, but not as stupid as to make the same mistake several times).

But this is just one example of how the writers I think are going the right way, but they need more practice and they need to know what this show is (for example that not every time Ash opens his mouth, he must crack some half-baked joke - this for me was most noticeable in the fourth episode). So I agree with Maid that the show may kick a lot more ass in the second half of the season where everybody will kinda "know what they are doing" a bit more. This show is fantastic, for me it really is, but I still see it's a bit ruff around the edges, like a lot of shows in their first season are. But the general path this show follows is the right one. And that's what matters.

I agree there are too many convenient plot points. Stuff just happens and characters just do things that don't make much sense just because they need those things to happen to get them from point A to point B and move the plot forward. They're letting the plot move the characters instead of making the characters move the plot. They need to be more careful with that. I also agree that they haven't quite figured out what this story is about yet. They need a theme, a through line, and Ash needs to have a more compelling character arc. They need to start treating Ash like a real character instead of just a joke spewing machine that kills deadites.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

EP5 related stuff.

Keligos is gonna be quite the manipulating b*tch in this episode, and ash seems like he's been branded as the one whose been possessed.

 [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFVLSEVhfc[/video]

and i found this gif with Keligos suggesting her and pablo have a drink (uh-oh).

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CUiGT-BUAAAPGpX.mp4

Overall i think this episode is going to be very interesting as pablo and his uncle are basically the only ones who can get the demon out of kelly though i bet it's gonna be a bit before they notice this , while ash is probably gonna be gagged and held against his will thanks to Keligos. But what still get's me is what is this new side of ash are we gonna see in this episode ?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E04: Brujo Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
EP5 related stuff.

Keligos is gonna be quite the manipulating b*tch in this episode, and ash seems like he's been branded as the one whose been possessed.

 [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFVLSEVhfc[/video]

and i found this gif with Keligos suggesting her and pablo have a drink (uh-oh).

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CUiGT-BUAAAPGpX.mp4

Overall i think this episode is going to be very interesting as pablo and his uncle are basically the only ones who can get the demon out of kelly though i bet it's gonna be a bit before they notice this , while ash is probably gonna be gagged and held against his will thanks to Keligos. But what still get's me is what is this new side of ash are we gonna see in this episode ?

I can't understand one line in that clip. "There is a ??? the demon could be festering." Did anybody understand that? Thanks in advance. :)
 
Top Bottom