Ash vs Evil Dead S01E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

@ Robo Rider - they're not doing forty minute eps because Bruce was against them going that long - ironically against deep character development.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'm guessing, okay perhaps hoping that the character development we did see in this episode wasn't all for naught. For me it's hard to judge these episodes character-wise until I've seen the whole series. This isn't episodic, the show's being presented in one continuous long format and at this point it's hard to predict in what way the repercussions of the events in this episode will affect everyone. Ash, I feel has changed from what we saw in the first episode. He's repressed everything that happened to him in ED1 and ED2 and it's clear the killing Linda had some profound effect on his lack of development. In the first episode he can't even say that he had to kill her, and by the fourth when he's forced to confront what's holding him back, the first thing he sees is her death and I think when he was put in a position to have to kill Kelly, it had to be the thought of killing Linda that stopped him. He has this moment of conflict. I think in some way that saving Kelly and in doing so confronting what happened at the cabin and Linda's death, will continue to play into the series.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

I guess that's why each episode seems too short for me. Not enough character development or enough story packed into each episode. Lucy Lawless had 2 minutes in this episode. I know they probably shot the entire series in a month and cut up each episode into a few scenes with a few locations. Wish I could watch this as 1 long movie If anyone is familiar with WeTV they did a great 7 hour series last night called South from Hell. It was 7 episodes long and the cliffhanger is awesome. Can't wait for season 2. I know what they say about the best storytellers and comedians "Leave them always wanting more." But this is getting ridiculous.

Watched it for 4rth time tonight and if you subtract the first minute recap of previous episodes and the last 5 minutes which is them pulling off to the side of the road you end up with 24 minutes for this weeks episode. Almost the 22 minutes it takes to show an episode from a comedy series without commercials.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Anyone know what Brujo told Pablo as the medallian dropped from the pyre?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

That I didn't catch! Anyone else get it?

@Hurley - your question made me think of an even more difficult question - why does Uncle Brujo immediately decide to lobotomize Ash, yet they try a million different potions on Kelly?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
That I didn't catch!  Anyone else get it?

@Hurley - your question made me think of an even more difficult question - why does Uncle Brujo immediately decide to lobotomize Ash, yet they try a million different potions on Kelly?

That doesn't bother me that much actually. Maybe when he assumed that Eligos is buried deep inside Ash, he thought that the exorcism wouldn't work (as opposed to clearly possessed Kelly). But i agree that it's something they could have established in their internal story rules.


BTW: Did I miss something or the trailer for the next episode is still nowhere to be seen? Not even on Starz official page...
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Robo Rider said:
Anyone know what Brujo told Pablo as the medallian dropped from the pyre?

I think he said something along the lines of "The pendant is for you," and I'm not sure of the rest... but it seems that Pablo now takes on the roll of the Brujo.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Nick el Ass said:
Robo Rider said:
Anyone know what Brujo told Pablo as the medallian dropped from the pyre?

I think he said something along the lines of "The pendant is for you," and I'm not sure of the rest... but it seems that Pablo now takes on the roll of the Brujo.

Depende de ti. Estoy contigo. Cuídate. Confía en ti.

It depends on you. I'm with you. Take care. Trust yourself.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

I can kind of imagine that logic working, but I suppose the question would be how big would Kelly's 'lump', so to speak, be that early in the possession.

It's attached to the OnDemand copy of the ep I watched!
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is an episode were the 30 minute thing kind of hurt it in a way with the whole Amanda and Ruby thing. However, we do get an albeit brief moment of the Ash we all know and love in the end with the new hand... and Ash flipping the bird.


https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/670790597754667009
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

AvED episodes 6 and 7 with Michael Hurst at the helm are going to be awesome. I can feel it in my bones, and I'm not going to say which one(s) either.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
MIDDLE PARTS

* Dana was good as a Demon during the exorcism scenes, but that was the only place she was good.  She was pretty atrocious as a seductress, and I feel like Ray is acting rings around her out there.

* how did Ash's memory of his vision result in his victory over Eligos?  HE ALWAYS DOES THIS STUFF.  There was nothing NEW there.


BAD PARTS


* "Yeah, I liked you better that way too."  So you'd rather the woman you love, and are almost literally obsessed with, have her immortal soul indemnified so you could get some nookie is what I hear you saying there, Pablo.  What the fuck?   He thinks of this woman nonstop and literally just fought a demon for her ffs.

* Everyone basically hugged and learned a lesson at the end, and everything reset.  Pablo is still panting after Kelly and she's still oblivious.  Kelly trusts Ash a little more, maybe, but no more than she did when he had to kill her mom.  Ash is still determined to bury the book.  Pablo's confidence is literally washed down the toilet in less than a moment.  The entire excursion meant nothing beyond confirming Pablo's faith in the supernatural, which, y'know, kinda already got confirmed when they killed Kelly's Deadite mom two episodes ago.

I'd like to point out that eligos was a demon, not a deadite they both might have came from the same book but they are separate entity's altogether .

1. i thought dana did really well at being the manipulating demon especially during the seductress part and the ritual, you could obliviously tell eligos was getting quite annoyed with pablo's gentlemen like manner's, and it finally accumulated to that line "JUST SUCK IT YOU B*TCH" just priceless, yea the seductress part came off as cheesy but ray's overall performance during it made it better in my eyes. 

2. I had trouble getting the "Shoot first, think never" Epiphany scene as well but it hit me, Eligos is a demon who preys on the mind, so ash figured out if he didn't think at all in that moment in time it would probably work in his favor, and it obviously did  give him the window of opportunity to blow his head.

3. The line delivery came off as more being a smartass then actually being serious about loving her more as a demon.

4. I actually thought there was a lot of beating around the bush in this scene, yes it might have come off as a sitcom'ish and it does feel like they got over it too quickly, but they were also very adament on changing subjects fairly quickly during this scene aswell.

@Hurley

Oh god, micheal hurst looks like he knocked it out of the park for the next episode, plus pablo and kelly look like there going to be more involved in  the fighting as well and it not just being ash doing all the fighting. Another interesting thing to take note from that trailer is kelly and pablo fighting over the book very aggressively, wonder what's happening there with that. and if i remember correctly isn't ash supposed to have a awakening  in this episode ? ....oh shit, here comes evil ash, the mirror scene is probably gonna be were he shows up.  :s

I also wanna bring up something as well mainly about ash overall development as a character in this episode. 

Ash really matured and grew up abit in this episode, he was alot more quiet and wasn't much of a smartass this time around, he felt sort of like ED 2 ash mixed with a bit of AoD ash. His scenes with kelly and pablo were my favorite of the episode, especially with kelly, he really came off as a caring father  at the end when he was talking with her about what happen and asking if she was alright to travel plus offering up his dentures for the missing teeth she spat out, and it was also quite surprising to see him just come out like  that and apologize to both of them and basically admitting to his own mistakes. I hope we see more of this ash in the last half of this season cause it was really nice seeing this part of ash again.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Interesting. In the behind the scenes video, Craig DiGregorio actually says that the hand is based on a real design. I think that could be legit, but I'm still wondering how Ash flipped the bird at the end, since he didn't press any button (and he clearly knew it's gonna happen in advance). But maybe I'm just over thinking it. :)
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Pablo turned the hand on, and Ash didn't have to do anything else. It is an interesting design, and a way to get around the AoD stuff with what I am guessing is a battery powered hand.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

I just... I get what they're trying to do, but I'm not sure I love the way they're doing it.

Once again, i'm seeing interesting ideas and themes, but terrible execution. I feel like we should have been where we are now by the end of the second episode. And we should have started with a third "side-kick" who gets killed unceremoniously to up the stakes a little.

Seriously - if this were presented in true Evil Dead fashion, there's no way both Pablo and Kelly would still be alive at this point. They're making it too similar to Buffy/Supernatural, where everyone is guaranteed to live simply because they're part of the main cast. I guess I just need to look at it more like a comic book movie - we all know Spider-Man's never going to bite the dust, for example, so the enjoyment needs to come from the story and how they resolve the presented problem. I just feel that removing any sense of danger removes the horror element entirely from the show.

As far as the new hand is concerned - I'm thinking this means a MAJOR reduction in scenes where we get the chainsaw hand, and that really pisses me off. It's had a very small amount of screen time thus far - and while those few scenes were great, they definitely didn't slake my thirst for seeing major chainsaw action. My guess is that Bruce said he didn't feel like wearing the damned thing all the time, so everyone had to cooperate (just like how in the extras it's stated that the hand was mainly created because Bruce wanted to use both hands while acting).

Ruby - guess we now know how she was tracking them down, but then that means the last scene with her seeming to "know" that the book was being used was just done for effect, rather than plot.

Final say: I know we're only 5 episodes in, but I still feel like the show is really dragging its feet in an attempt to become more like Buffy or Supernatural - thin overall plot for the season, lots of filler episodes. Not what I was hoping for, and not what I think most fans were hoping for, but I guess we just have to shut up and eat our vegetables because its better than going hungry.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

In-Depth Review Time (Pros,Middles and Cons) 

Alright, theres going to be a lot to talk about for this one so let's get to it.


Pro's 
*The overall character development in this episode was probably the big highlight for me, especially with ash his really come a long way from being that immature jackass we saw from the first episode. The scene that really showed it for me was probably the scene with him and keligos. It really showed growth in ash character for me, usually when someone get's possessed, ash is usually quick on dispatching that person, but this time around ash was very keen on not jumping the gun to early, even when faced with shooting kelly he got pretty emotional about doing it.   

*Dana,Ray and Bruce overall performances for this episode was really good, and actually got me liking the side character's a lot more.

* The prototype hand for ash looked great, even if the overall design look's just like the hand from AoD, there is hope that it could change up the look over time. "It's a work in progress" as pablo put it

*Pablo and Kelly's scene in the trailer, it was very funny scene to watch cause of how pablo was just taking in the situation and how eligos slowly got more and more pissed off as it went on.

*Ash epiphany on how to beat eligos. 

Middle's 

*Ruby and amanda's characters really need more screen time then just one scene a episode, but thankfully it looks like they will be more involved in the next episode and probably for this last half of the season. 

*The ending trailer scene felt very sitcom'ish and didn't feel right at times in terms of character pacing but at the same time it did have some notable moments for the characters aswell. (Ash and kelly's conversation before pablo walked in and Ash owning up to what his caused and sincerely apologizing to pablo and kelly for what's happen to them.) 

*Some of the exorcism scene felt like it was going through the motions with the gags, some of them landing and some of them not. 

*Eligos was all over the place in this episode, it seemed like he got to cocky in trying to kill the group off and ended up costing him. That's probably why in the book he was regarded as a "Minor" demon.

Con's

*another side character i was starting to like bites the dust, hopefully tio will show up again because his listed for 3 episodes for this season.

*I've been very patient with the half hour format for awhile but now i'm hoping we get more 45 minute episodes for season 2.

In-Summary

In my eyes, this show really needed a character focused episode, and this was basically it. In hindsight this episode was probably the strongest one in terms of character development  for me. Sure there is some faults with the episode but it really needed it in terms of the road trip were about to take for this final half of the season.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
New episode is up on the starz play app/on demand (taking maid's job for this weeks episode :P)

EDIT 
Kelly's rings say "hell" for this week's episode, not for sure on this but someone on twitter mentioned it

https://twitter.com/deadite1212/status/670488129594372097

For episodes 4 and 5 Kelly's rings were "help" and "cure" with a switch at the end.


CVB2PDEUwAA_Df3.jpg


CVB2O8AUsAACL3f.jpg



https://twitter.com/ImDanaDeLorenzo/status/671166353462571009
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

So, I kind of feel like I’m done wanting to comment on the series for a while.
 
After watching “The Host” I’m beginning to have a sense that this show will finally kill the series, and may even kill my previous level of enthusiasm for Evil Dead overall.
 
I don’t know what to say... The show is just so sloppy and slapped together it makes me wish they hadn’t bothered. The pacing is off, episodes are largely uneven from one to the next, the acting is below b-level, humour is clumsy and jokes don’t land, and the writing and dialogue are quite possibly the worst in any television series airing today.
 
Evil Dead was never perfect, but each film was its own little ambitious project crafted with great care and sincerity by those involved in its production. This show feels thrown together, and like it needed another year of pre-production before they ever starting rolling cameras to work around budget constraints in a more imaginative way.

In the absence of a budget, Raimi was able to fill the gaps and do things visually and thematically that made these flawed  films compelling and watchable. Some of that was present in the first episode of the new show, so it’s not like it can’t be replicated for TV, but since Raimi’s departure the show is slowly morphing into cringe-worthy MNIB levels in the quality department.
 
I don’t know if they can right this ship, or learn from their mistakes before jumping into season two (if that still happens), but I definitely find myself feeling embarresed for this show and not wanting to recommend it to anyone.
 
I wonder if my perspective will be changed at all by the end of this season?
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]

eViL DeAdiTe said:
So, I kind of feel like I’m done wanting to comment on the series for a while.
 
After watching “The Host” I’m beginning to have a sense that this show will finally kill the series, and may even kill my previous level of enthusiasm for Evil Dead overall.
 
I don’t know what to say... The show is just so sloppy and slapped together it makes me wish they hadn’t bothered. The pacing is off, episodes are largely uneven from one to the next, the acting is below b-level, humour is clumsy and jokes don’t land, and the writing and dialogue are quite possibly the worst in any television series airing today.
 
Evil Dead was never perfect, but each film was its own little ambitious project crafted with great care and sincerity by those involved in its production. This show feels thrown together, and like it needed another year of pre-production before they ever starting rolling cameras to work around budget constraints in a more imaginative way.

In the absence of a budget, Raimi was able to fill the gaps and do things visually and thematically that made these flawed  films compelling and watchable. Some of that was present in the first episode of the new show, so it’s not like it can’t be replicated for TV, but since Raimi’s departure the show is slowly morphing into cringe-worthy MNIB levels in the quality department.
 
I don’t know if they can right this ship, or learn from their mistakes before jumping into season two (if that still happens), but I definitely find myself feeling embarresed for this show and not wanting to recommend it to anyone.
 
I wonder if my perspective will be changed at all by the end of this season?


That sucks to hear that eViL :-/ , i cant change a person's mind on something but if it's any help at all, i'd wait and see what happens for the rest of season, "The Host" was a real mixed bag for everyone being it was a big wrap up episode for the first half, but it seem's like there about to get back on track with the next episode, and that's also the thing with a beginning series is that they gotta find what work's and dosen't work, the first part of the season was all about introducing the characters and fleshing them out, my hope for this last half is them basically on this road trip to were it all began and that's at the cabin. Plus they have some good director's for these final 5 episode's so i'd say just hang in there for this last half.
 
Top Bottom