RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E05: The Host Discussion [SPOILERS]
Its interesting how the show splits opinion so much, here on Deadites and with reviewers. Some have said the running time helps, some say it hurts. Some say the character work is genius, some say its non-existent. With The Host, I've lost a lot of faith in the show, or maybe I just need to adjust my expectations. Its not fair to expect a TV show to be as wild as the trilogy, right? (never mind that in recent years quite a few shows have better writing and acting than cinema with some amazing world-building to boot.) I really missed Raimi this time. The directing in the show has NEVER been bad, but imagine how Raimi could have elevated a slower, possession-cliché-jammed episode like The Host. I applauded AvED for not playing other (better?) shows like Walking Dead and The Strain at their own game, but seeing how unscathed Pablo and Kelly are at the end of The Host, no way. Ash vs Evil Dead writing team, fuck these guys up! lol. I should say, the use of CGI has become better as the show has gone on. Funnily enough, it was Sam Raimi that was the worse offender. He seems to think CGI is the same whether you're playing with a Spider-Man budget or $50. Bummer.
Anyhoo, I'm very glad Bruce picked up the chainsaw again. AvED beats the hell out of My Name is Bruce. To me its not Evil Dead, (and what IS Evil Dead, right? Evil Dead is as different to Evil Dead 2 as ED 2 is to Army...) but more of a gonzo Buffy with F-Bombs. (which sounds entertaining enough, right? I will say the bit in the car with deadite Mr. Roper felt VERY legit...) Evil Dead led the pack in wild, cult cinema for decades, this TV show gets compared to Supernatural. Ash vs Evil Dead is a mixed blessing.