Ash vs Evil Dead S02E01: Home Discussion [SPOILERS]

Reznar said:
And here we go again, everyone complaining about things that are not good or right and I just sit here with a smile on my face while watching it.
I'm the one who will not complain about a single thing and be grateful as fuck that after all these years we got some more Evil Dead stuff and lots more of Ash!

HAIL...TO...THE...KING!

An I honestly envy you this and wish I could see it the same way. :)
 
The first episodic clip was released to Bloody Disgusting and has been linked to the head of the thread!
 
Reznar said:
And here we go again, everyone complaining about things that are not good or right and I just sit here with a smile on my face while watching it.
I'm the one who will not complain about a single thing and be grateful as fuck that after all these years we got some more Evil Dead stuff and lots more of Ash!

Good for you. I sincerely hope you get to keep enjoying it. Me, I'll keep complaining and criticizing until they give us something that's actually good.
 
raw
 
As always, having a rainbowscape of opinions on Deadites is what makes it such a unique, fun place to hang out!
 
MaidOfKandar said:
As always, having a rainbowscape of opinions on Deadites is what makes it such a unique, fun place to hang out!


November will be 13 years for me on Deadites, and having people with different opinions is what makes this place so cool. I mean it would have sucked if everyone agreed with everything Evil Dead related that has gone on over the years. I also prefer the Thriller popcorn gif since it is now October which means it is time for all things spooky and weird. Not just Michael Jackson, haha. Sorry, but this place really is the best.
 
raw



I'm also hoping that the http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery.htm will be uploading more of the hi res images from each episode once it officially debuts on Sunday. They do have some nifty pics of some of the cast that I have never seen before including a very dapper Lee Majors in the season 2 general section.

[img=600x900]http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery11/hires/64.jpg[/img]
 
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm


and i saw the promo for the 2nd episode on the starz, and boy does that colon scene look like it's going to be a disgusting scene to witness but hearing ash's reactions was just priceless. Plus i got some serious ED/Re-animator/Dead Alive vibes in general ! can't wait  :D
 
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting some of the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm


and i saw the promo for the 2nd episode on the starz, and boy does that colon scene look like it's going to be a disgusting scene to witness but hearing ash's reactions was just priceless. Plus i got some serious ED/Re-animator/Dead Alive vibes in general ! can't wait  :D


@Ranzor 

This nearly had me do a spit-take, but i'm kinda in the same boat with ya, i love to debate and go back and forth with you guys but it does get to a point with me that it begins to bother me and i don't know why it does, i participated a lot last season through pretty much every episode debating and theorizing but after episode 10 that was kinda my breaking point on it,I haven't really participated or done a real in-depth review for ep1 yet because of this reason. And it's nothing against you guys, you all have different views of the whole franchise and i completely respect you guys for it and that's the fun of it, it would get boring if everyone liked it ! but it get's hard  for me to wanna join in to discuss and talk about this show when the majority are either mixed or have negative views on it, it just gets to become overbearing or exhausting to the point where i feel like the odd man out or a outsider at times which is really wired to say but that's just how i feel about it and i just wanna again state that it's not you guys, it's just me feeling this way :/ .  I do have my problems with the show yes, but i still love it for it's characters,effects and the way it's shot but most of all it's damn fun and entertaining to watch just like the movies and that should be the main point right ? Yes it is fun to analyze and speculate but really to me, that isn't the point of this franchise, it's meant to be a turn your brain off stress relieving  experience and to just enjoy the ride. Like ranzor said , i'm going to be forever grateful to everyone working on this show from the cast, make up, set's, directors and writers, they really worked there asses off  this season to give us something special, be it good or bad i'm gonna enjoy the ride this season, from start to end. 


*End Rant/Venting/Rambling*
 
Yeah there's definitely some Re-Animator/Dead Alive vibes in episode 2.
 
Nick el Ass said:
MaidOfKandar said:
As always, having a rainbowscape of opinions on Deadites is what makes it such a unique, fun place to hang out!


November will be 13 years for me on Deadites, and having people with different opinions is what makes this place so cool. I mean it would have sucked if everyone agreed with everything Evil Dead related that has gone on over the years. I also prefer the Thriller popcorn gif since it is now October which means it is time for all things spooky and weird. Not just Michael Jackson, haha. Sorry, but this place really is the best.
 
raw



I'm also hoping that the http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery.htm will be uploading more of the hi res images from each episode once it officially debuts on Sunday. They do have some nifty pics of some of the cast that I have never seen before including a very dapper Lee Majors in the season 2 general section.

[img=600x900]http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery11/hires/64.jpg[/img]



Man, thirteen years!   And yeah, I think that's what keeps me coming back (to the point I ended up a junior moderator here). 

Elise has some HQ tagless shots on hers site; I'd offer up my blog but it's all Bruce-centric and nothing you wouldn't find on Getty at this point.

Joem1k said:
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting some of the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm


and i saw the promo for the 2nd episode on the starz, and boy does that colon scene look like it's going to be a disgusting scene to witness but hearing ash's reactions was just priceless. Plus i got some serious ED/Re-animator/Dead Alive vibes in general ! can't wait  :D


@Ranzor 

This nearly had me do a spit-take, but i'm kinda in the same boat with ya, i love to debate and go back and forth with you guys but it does get to a point with me that it begins to bother me and i don't know why it does, i participated a lot last season through pretty much every episode debating and theorizing but after episode 10 that was kinda my breaking point on it,I haven't really participated or done a real in-depth review for ep1 yet because of this reason. And it's nothing against you guys, you all have different views of the whole franchise and i completely respect you guys for it and that's the fun of it, it would get boring if everyone liked it ! but it get's hard  for me to wanna join in to discuss and talk about this show when the majority are either mixed or have negative views on it, it just gets to become overbearing or exhausting to the point where i feel like the odd man out or a outsider at times which is really wired to say but that's just how i feel about it and i just wanna again state that it's not you guys, it's just me feeling this way :/ .  I do have my problems with the show yes, but i still love it for it's characters,effects and the way it's shot but most of all it's damn fun and entertaining to watch just like the movies and that should be the main point right ? Yes it is fun to analyze and speculate but really to me, that isn't the point of this franchise, it's meant to be a turn your brain off stress relieving  experience and to just enjoy the ride. Like ranzor said , i'm going to be forever grateful to everyone working on this show from the cast, make up, set's, directors and writers, they really worked there asses off  this season to give us something special, be it good or bad i'm gonna enjoy the ride this season, from start to end. 


*End Rant/Venting/Rambling*

Be sure to email the folks over at Far Far Away site if you see anything where it shouldn't be, BTW; I told them that they had a few of the pictures out of order and they were grateful I did; apparently they're posting them in the order Starz sent them, so if they're out of order it's Starz' fault.

Thank you for finding these!  Linking the first episode's gallery to the head of the thread.

And oh Joe, you should share your feelings; I know several people here are heavily positive toward the show (I'd say Elise is too, along with Reznar and a few other folks - I think Swofty does too).  I think it's natural to have mixed opinions of the show and it's also just as natural to be happy about and guilelessly enjoy it.  There's room for everything, and I say you should write in depth if it so pleases you about what you like!

Kain said:
Yeah there's definitely some Re-Animator/Dead Alive vibes in episode 2.

I'm guessing the "horror theme" of the episode is

Medical horror?
 
Joem1k said:
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting some of the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm


and i saw the promo for the 2nd episode on the starz, and boy does that colon scene look like it's going to be a disgusting scene to witness but hearing ash's reactions was just priceless. Plus i got some serious ED/Re-animator/Dead Alive vibes in general ! can't wait  :D

They must have done it right after I posted my last comment because there was only one image for season 2. I always enjoy the show, and the site when they post pics and things... and try to post them on my own blog which is a simple blogger page with links. The funny thing about it is I wanted to just start a normal blog, but it ended up mostly Evil Dead related like everything else. At any rate, everything I have read about that scene makes it sound like it will top anything we have ever seen so far which has me worried a bit. I know this thread is for Episode 1, and I have my fingers crossed that the true premier of season 2 pulls some great numbers tomorrow even with the early preview.
 
Joem1k said:
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting some of the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm

I might be quite critical on the series but one thing I really dig is the work of the art department and the set design.

I specially love what they did with Ash's room. All these references to real and fictious 70s / 80s pop culture. I could spend hours zooming into all these pics and read every book, movie or record title :rolleyes:
 
Muzzlehatch said:
Joem1k said:
Far Far away has started posting up the hi-res photos ! (NOTE, it seems they are putting some of the photos in with the wrong episodes) 

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery.htm

I might be quite critical on the series but one thing I really dig is the work of the art department and the set design.

I specially love what they did with Ash's room. All these references to real and fictious 70s / 80s pop culture. I could spend hours zooming into all these pics and read every book, movie or record title :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to give them a pass on a multitude of other sins for making Ash a Suzi Quatro stan.  I can imagine he'd both watch Happy Days and think Suzi was hot/badass/claim he was totally into her 'before Happy Days'.

I will see y'all in an hour and a half!
 
And now it is time for my full opinion :p

Overall, the episode improves on a second watching.  It's still not perfect by a long shot, but at least it engages the audience and provides scares and laughs.  That doesn't stop me from noticing the flaws  though.  My review:


LIKED:

* The gore and set dressing are, like everyone's said, huge steps up from last year.  

* There was actually some quiet bittersweetness going on between Ash and Brock in that scene.  I wish they'd mine that more.

* Deadites actually acted like Deadites!  They moved and sounded and talked like them!  Thank you, KNB, I presume.

* Most of the horror set pieces played decently well.

* Pablo's brujo necklace working as some kind of charm, though that Deadite might've been distracted by what was happening with Ruby and Ash more than it.


MIDDLES:

* I love Kelly when she's being sarcastic and/or killing shit.  I don't like her when she's being sour and unpleasant and biting off more than she can chew like she's Scrappy Doo. They've made her so dour and unpleasant and snippish this season, and while I can't blame her for being any of those things but it's grating to watch constantly.  She needs some kind of layers, maybe SOME softer edges (this doesn't mean I want her damseled).  Even Pablo, who's still his goofy self even though he's turning into Cheryl Mach II still feels like himself.  

* Speaking of Pablo, I'm really on the fence about his clairvoyance.  On one hand, it's useful for the plot; on the other it could be Deus Ex Machina-esque.  And if they're going to tie this into Cheryl's similar power somehow I hope they make it make sense.

* The entire existence of Linda B is sort of a poor substitute for what should be a girlfriend character, honestly.  And I'm worried her presence is going to lead to yet more retroactive ruining of Ash/original recipe Linda's relationship.  I believe he cares about her insofar he wants to screw her (shades of Amanda), but otherwise, eh.  She feels like a nonentity at this point but I'm sure that will change.

* The writing's on the wall for Ruby and Ash getting together at the end of this season and I have no idea how I feel about that.

* The Sheriff, our Clear Seasonal Villain, actually almost makes me feel sorry for him?  I mean, he's being a tool to Ash, but Ash was a tool to him in the past.  You can say what you want about letting go of high school, but it's not as if Ash has let go of his own teens.

* They're trying desperately to make Ash seem less racist than he was in the first season, and also somewhat less sexist, even lampshading last year's writing by making that beer joke.  We'll see how that works out.


HATED:

* The Ruby stuff just makes absolutely no sense.  I know it's an attempt at injecting vulnerability into her and making her feel more on the same level as Ash and the crew, but she WROTE this book.  How did she not understand this would happen, and why wouldn't she call on her fellow demons for help? 

* Brock being a shade too much of an Ash clone.  Is there a reason for him to be a ladies' man when he's still clearly mourning Ash's mom?  

* So this episode implies that Brock thinks Ash killed everyone and knows he wasn't crazy and that he killed everyone under a demonic influence.  So he basically cut his nose off to spite his face because Ash didn't 'man up and stay home to clean up his own mess'?  Um...ok....

* Most of the jokes weren't that funny.  I had maybe three big laughs?  The Alzheimer joke was awkwardly delivered but the end line saved it.

* Wayy too many callbacks.  I do not need two different versions of various AOD speeches stuck in there for no reason.  It shows a blatant lack of confidence in the writing that literally every other line was a callback to something in the OT.  



DID ANYONE NOTICE:

* A copy of A Farewell to Arms now exists in Ash's trunk.

* They did not replace Lee Majors with Bruce's dad in photoshop; that was a real picture of Charlie Campbell and little Bruce on Brock's mantle.
 
DyD said:
Reznar said:
And here we go again, everyone complaining about things that are not good or right and I just sit here with a smile on my face while watching it.
I'm the one who will not complain about a single thing and be grateful as fuck that after all these years we got some more Evil Dead stuff and lots more of Ash!

Good for you. I sincerely hope you get to keep enjoying it. Me, I'll keep complaining and criticizing until they give us something that's actually good.

I find it always strange that people who don't like something and think it ain't good keep watching that very thing and put all the energy in complaining about it... 
When I think something is not good I just stop watching it...
 
Reznar said:
DyD said:
Reznar said:
And here we go again, everyone complaining about things that are not good or right and I just sit here with a smile on my face while watching it.
I'm the one who will not complain about a single thing and be grateful as fuck that after all these years we got some more Evil Dead stuff and lots more of Ash!

Good for you. I sincerely hope you get to keep enjoying it. Me, I'll keep complaining and criticizing until they give us something that's actually good.

I find it always strange that people who don't like something and think it ain't good keep watching that very thing and put all the energy in complaining about it... 
When I think something is not good I just stop watching it...

C'mon guys, let's not fight over this.
 
After watching the episode for a second time, I'm really starting to wonder (if and) how are they gonna address that Ash was never convicted and maybe not even charged with what happened in the cabin. Apparently the whole town knows that Ash killed his friends, his sister, and his girlfriend (for the sake of the argument, let's ignore Annie and the whole group from ED II), and Ash even confessed to it in the pub.

So what's the story here? Was Ash ever investigated or prosecuted? And did he actually ever return to Elk Grove after what happened in the cabin (not to mention we don't really know for how long he was gone when he travelled through time)? I hope the show will address this, for example by saying that no bodies were ever found or not even the cabin was ever located since then (which would explain why Jake's body was still in the cellar after 30 years), and that the case was so strange that some started to wonder whether Ash isn't telling the truth, so they left it unsolved… But I worry that the show will just ignore this whole plot point.

For example in the first season, I was expecting that Amanda will try to find something about the cabin case, but the story never touched on that. So the question is if it even wants to…
 
Reznar said:
I find it always strange that people who don't like something and think it ain't good keep watching that very thing and put all the energy in complaining about it... 
When I think something is not good I just stop watching it...

And I find it funny that people who enjoy said thing usually spend more time talking about the people who criticize it than the actual thing they enjoy. If you're enjoying it thoroughly, more power to you. I wish I could and I respect your view on it. Care to elaborate on why you think the show's so great? Maybe you'll bring to light new elements and a side of this thing that the more critical people are missing (I really doubt it, though).

I'm an Evil Dead fan, dude. Same as you. Have been for nearly two decades. That's why I keep watching. I care about the end product enough to criticize it and I sincerely hope it will improve. I'm sorry if just being fed more Evil Dead regardless of quality isn't enough for me.

Now can we please go back to discussing Evil Dead?




@Hurley - All very good points. I also hope that this will be addressed somehow.
 
Hurley said:
After watching the episode for a second time, I'm really starting to wonder (if and) how are they gonna address that Ash was never convicted and maybe not even charged with what happened in the cabin. Apparently the whole town knows that Ash killed his friends, his sister, and his girlfriend (for the sake of the argument, let's ignore Annie and the whole group from ED II), and Ash even confessed to it in the pub.

So what's the story here? Was Ash ever investigated or prosecuted? And did he actually ever return to Elk Grove after what happened in the cabin (not to mention we don't really know for how long he was gone when he travelled through time)? I hope the show will address this, for example by saying that no bodies were ever found or not even the cabin was ever located since then (which would explain why Jake's body was still in the cellar after 30 years), and that the case was so strange that some started to wonder whether Ash isn't telling the truth, so they left it unsolved… But I worry that the show will just ignore this whole plot point.

For example in the first season, I was expecting that Amanda will try to find something about the cabin case, but the story never touched on that. So the question is if it even wants to…

Well, if real life logic was a concern for the show's writers, it would have opened with Ash as an inmate of somekind of high security asylum or as an fugitive living in the backwoods where no one could find him, not living in the same state under his real name. But there is another thing that makes no sense: In the cabin there is not only Jake's corpse (and among others there also should be the deformed deadite corpses of Ed and Henrietta I assmume). In one of the cabin episodes the tape recorder and the Knowby tape were also shown. And in case of a criminal investigation (and in real life there would have been one of course) some pitiful detective would have pushed the play button of the damn thing, starting a new wave of demon possession. That would have been a plausible start for a ED4 movie, if that would have been made with a young Bruce shortly afer AoD. But now I don't have much hope that the writer's room would adress such continuity issues.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
* I love Kelly when she's being sarcastic and/or killing shit.  I don't like her when she's being sour and unpleasant and biting off more than she can chew like she's Scrappy Doo. They've made her so dour and unpleasant and snippish this season, and while I can't blame her for being any of those things but it's grating to watch constantly.  She needs some kind of layers, maybe SOME softer edges (this doesn't mean I want her damseled).  Even Pablo, who's still his goofy self even though he's turning into Cheryl Mach II still feels like himself.  

I just don't know where they want to go with Kelly's character.  I'm a bit confuse.  She want revenge or not?  I mean the part where her doppelganger appear and tell her she should be the leader.  She's on a power trip now?  Hope they will clarify the main goal of this character.  Because it pointing the same direction as season 1.  She will be the tool of evil to sow discord among the Ghostbeaters.  What a goal... :s
 
Top Bottom