Ash Vs Evil Dead S02E02: The Morgue Discussion [SPOILERS]

Also, I'd really like to say something about this episode's Deadite. Though in the first season the practical effects were great, some Deadites seemed a bit rubbery and a bit samy to me (Mr. Roper, the two Deadites in the diner). But this, this is a genuine Evil Dead movie Deadite, with crocked teeth and everything. Well done.

[img=800x450]http://i.imgur.com/dgj0fzw.png[/img]​
 
I think we can give a big hattip to KNG for the step up in effects. The make-up still looks rubbery to me but hey, they look like people being corrupted by demons, which is a step up.


ETA here's the second After Ash program done by Collider

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB44bf7uLZM[/video]

To quote Joe: There's a exclusive clip of episode 3 @ 19:21
 
I finally had a chance to sit down to watch episode 2, and really enjoyed the hallway scene with the footage... but the coolest thing about it was the Raimiesque camera work moving toward the door before pulling back which sort of stretched everything for a second. I would also think that as you are walking into a place for the first time in 30 years a lot would go through your mind, and they did well conveying that with Ash and Cheryl in my opinion. Now Lilian going for the doctors achilles with a scalpel was a little Pet Cemeteryish for me, and I couldn't help laughing my ass off when Ash decided to trade in the bone saw for the chainsaw when cutting open the corpses. I also couldn't help, but wonder if the second body Ash uncovers was modeled off of Ted because it looked a lot like him laying there on the gurney which was weird. Now the colon battle on the other hand is something very weird, but I think it worked for what it was more than I thought it would after hearing others talk about it.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
ETA here's the second After Ash program done by Collider

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB44bf7uLZM[/video]

There's a exclusive clip of episode 3 @ 19:21 

I love how they've managed to work in ted's mixing drink skill in with his character, and just seeing the quick glimpse of ash and chet together there scenes are going to be great !
 
Oops, thank you for the note, Joe

So now we're supposed to buy that Ash spent high school throwing ragers and dragging girls down into a k hole via application of pink fucks.  

I...okay.  

At this point i'm waiting for them to reveal that Ash and Linda were only dating for a week.

Also is it just me or does Ted's phrasing remind anyone of Sam's in this clip? Like he's deliberately doing an impression of his big bro?
 
This just confuses me as shit. They are clearly not only taking TED Ash as canon, but they are actively reminding us of him (the hallway flashback projection scene in the last episode), and at the same time they are now describing his past in an exactly opposite way. TED Ash was a silent scared nerd that loved his girlfriend and was building up the courage to elevate their relationship into something more. What the show is now describing is actually more Scotty than Ash (prankster, asshole, womaniser), but like ten times stronger.

I'm pretty sure they won't do this, because it would go against everything this show is trying to build around Ash, but I think it would be fantastic if after introducing Ted Raimi's character, we would find out that that back in the day, him and Ash were actually the town nerds they are now making fun of. They were the kids that the others bullied and made them piss their pants, but now they are bragging to Pablo and Kelly, because they weren't around back then, and Ash and his buddy always wanted to be the cool guys, not their victims (which would also explain why Ash is now so over the top macho at his old age).

If they would do this, the show would improve like 200% for me. But of course they won't do it…
 
Hurley said:
I'm pretty sure they won't do this, because it would go against everything this show is trying to build around Ash, but I think it would be fantastic if after introducing Ted Raimi's character, we would find out that that back in the day, him and Ash were actually the town nerds they are now making fun of. They were the kids that the others bullied and made them piss their pants, but now they are bragging to Pablo and Kelly, because they weren't around back then, and Ash and his buddy always wanted to be the cool guys, not their victims (which would also explain why Ash is now so over the top macho at his old age).

If they would do this, the show would improve like 200% for me. But of course they won't do it…

I had the same story opportuity in mind. I would really really really love that. It would solve the biggest issues I have with this show. But at the moment I see no foreshadowing for that and it would also contradict what we already know about Ash bullying the sheriff etc.
 
Muzzlehatch said:
I had the same story opportuity in mind. I would really really really love that. It would solve the biggest issues I have with this show. But at the moment I see no foreshadowing for that and it would also contradict what we already know about Ash bullying the sheriff etc.

The sheriff bullying could be out of revenge, because the sheriff would actually be the one who was bullying Ash in school, not the other way around. There are ways and angles to make this work (for example Ash is in purpose acting not only as a bully, but also as his father, which could lead to some interesting daddy issues development), but the screenwriters just aren't willing. This simply isn't the story they want to tell...
 
Hurley said:
Muzzlehatch said:
I had the same story opportuity in mind. I would really really really love that. It would solve the biggest issues I have with this show. But at the moment I see no foreshadowing for that and it would also contradict what we already know about Ash bullying the sheriff etc.

The sheriff bullying could be out of revenge, because the sheriff would actually be the one who was bullying Ash in school, not the other way around. There are ways and angles to make this work (for example Ash is in purpose acting not only as a bully, but also as his father, which could lead to some interesting daddy issues development), but the screenwriters just aren't willing. This simply isn't the story they want to tell...

You are propably right. Generally I find the writer's character choices quite confusing. Every novice writer should know that tension and progression in a story comes from contrary characters confronting each other which leads to conflict and character development. So I don't get, why they choose to portray Brock as an older copy of Ash and ignore nearly every character development Ash ever had.
 
So far my impression of season two is a mirror image of season one. Really strong opener, and less so by the second episode. Sadly, I was not a huge fan of "The Morgue". 
 
Like others have already pointed out, that subtle hallway scene was totally marred by the projection effect on the door. Audio would have been enough. Let's not beat people over the head with these references guys.
 
Ash being like his father still makes no sense at all. He displayed none of these traits in TED, and very few in ED2. You could even argue that Ash was a brash, smarmy jackass in AoD, but not a gross pig. If he changed over the missing 30 years in hiding that's one thing, but that still would not explain his similarity to Brock. Besides, what son would want to emulate a father like that? 
 
Acting-wise, Dana and Ray are starting to improve this season. They seem much more comfortable when delivering regular conversational dialogue, but the minute either of them have to emote things get a little spotty. Especially whenever Dana has to do ADR to punch up her yelling.
 
Ash ogling a dead woman's body made me feel uneasy. I’m guessing they felt they were balancing this out with the following sequence, but it didn't connect for me in that way. Also, as much as there are copious amounts of other fluids flying every which way, poop/pee jokes don't feel like they belong in this universe, or at least, they should be intentionally left out. The only reason that stuff actually works so well on shows like South Park is because the writing is pretty cerebral, so it provides a necessary juxtaposition. AvED is mostly juvenile to begin with, so it only drags everybody down.
 
I think a lot of us actually expected a gag where Ash was going to find himself stuck inside a woman’s corpse, which I think would’ve worked better somehow. Especially as payback for the ogling. Also, what a wasted opportunity to have the corpse in this case be “alive” and punching itself in the gut while cackling, thereby punching Ash in his face. I could even see a funny birthday joke being made after he re-joins Kelly. Ah well.
 
As for Ruby, I think I get her now. She’s basically going to be the Spike of this show. She’s the former baddie who becomes the antihero. Gotcha.
 
Hurley said:
This just confuses me as shit. They are clearly not only taking TED Ash as canon, but they are actively reminding us of him (the hallway flashback projection scene in the last episode), and at the same time they are now describing his past in an exactly opposite way. TED Ash was a silent scared nerd that loved his girlfriend and was building up the courage to elevate their relationship into something more. What the show is now describing is actually more Scotty than Ash (prankster, asshole, womaniser), but like ten times stronger.

I'm pretty sure they won't do this, because it would go against everything this show is trying to build around Ash, but I think it would be fantastic if after introducing Ted Raimi's character, we would find out that that back in the day, him and Ash were actually the town nerds they are now making fun of. They were the kids that the others bullied and made them piss their pants, but now they are bragging to Pablo and Kelly, because they weren't around back then, and Ash and his buddy always wanted to be the cool guys, not their victims (which would also explain why Ash is now so over the top macho at his old age).

If they would do this, the show would improve like 200% for me. But of course they won't do it…

I just watched TED again and the fact that they expect me to believe the same character is so damn ludicrous.  I know that this is the Ash they've always wanted to portray but the excuse that he had no character is so damn ridiculous to me.

That's actually what I really want out of this whole story line.  

eViL DeAdiTe said:
So far my impression of season two is a mirror image of season one. Really strong opener, and less so by the second episode. Sadly, I was not a huge fan of "The Morgue". 
 
Like others have already pointed out, that subtle hallway scene was totally marred by the projection effect on the door. Audio would have been enough. Let's not beat people over the head with these references guys.
 
Ash being like his father still makes no sense at all. He displayed none of these traits in TED, and very few in ED2. You could even argue that Ash was a brash, smarmy jackass in AoD, but not a gross pig. If he changed over the missing 30 years in hiding that's one thing, but that still would not explain his similarity to Brock. Besides, what son would want to emulate a father like that? 
 
Acting-wise, Dana and Ray are starting to improve this season. They seem much more comfortable when delivering regular conversational dialogue, but the minute either of them have to emote things get a little spotty. Especially whenever Dana has to do ADR to punch up her yelling.
 
Ash ogling a dead woman's body made me feel uneasy. I’m guessing they felt they were balancing this out with the following sequence, but it didn't connect for me in that way. Also, as much as there are copious amounts of other fluids flying every which way, poop/pee jokes don't feel like they belong in this universe, or at least, they should be intentionally left out. The only reason that stuff actually works so well on shows like South Park is because the writing is pretty cerebral, so it provides a necessary juxtaposition. AvED is mostly juvenile to begin with, so it only drags everybody down.
 
I think a lot of us actually expected a gag where Ash was going to find himself stuck inside a woman’s corpse, which I think would’ve worked better somehow. Especially as payback for the ogling. Also, what a wasted opportunity to have the corpse in this case be “alive” and punching itself in the gut while cackling, thereby punching Ash in his face. I could even see a funny birthday joke being made after he re-joins Kelly. Ah well.
 
As for Ruby, I think I get her now. She’s basically going to be the Spike of this show. She’s the former baddie who becomes the antihero. Gotcha.


RE Brock, it sort of makes Ash's disgust a moot point.  Maybe that's what they were trying to go for, to mine comedy out of Ash's hypocrisy.

Weirdly, I think they're trying to emulate very early south Park with a lot of the tone of this show.  It's like they're pitching it even lower than their demo (at fifteen year olds, maybe?)

I expected that too, and for them to do some burlesque of childbirth with it.
 
Starz just posted an inside look on The Morgue:

https://www.facebook.com/ashvsevildead/videos/646803938834735/
 
That made me feel bad for Bruce. The whole process looks arduous.
 
They have been really inconsistent with posting videos on various platforms especially Youtube. You would think they would want to spread their videos as much as possible.
 
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT5eHS2tDc[/video]
 
IDK why they're posting clips so late; it's almost beside the point now.

MOST of the clips usually end up on Facebook. I think. Mostly.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
IDK why they're posting clips so late; it's almost beside the point now.

MOST of the clips usually end up on Facebook.  I think.  Mostly.

There's actually been quite a pretty good buzz going around about this scene and it's been the most talked about thing on twitter/facebook and a little bit on  the tumblr feeds for most of the week now (yes, i have been watching the feeds like a hawk since the episode aired), it's not a trendy kinda buzz but more so a "WORD OF MOUTH/Watercooler" kinda buzz because of just how insane that scene was and how no other show has done anything quite like it. So i guess we have some bragging rights i guess in that regard, it's still funny to me that this is the most talked about thing, usually with WD or GOT it's a big character moment or death but with us it's bruce getting his head shoved a cadavers ass that does the job haha.
 
I don't know about you guys and gals, but after seeing the full clip on Facebook with an eggplant superimposed over the man's junk makes it so I might not ever be able to look at an eggplant the same again, haha. I'm just not sure I can agree with Rob Tapert's sentiments here in the How'd we get an asshole through an asshole clip when he says "It ends up being one of the classic Evil Dead set pieces in the evil dead universe." That is a bit over the top.
 
I just realized that clip was actually posted back on the 2nd at the Bloody Disgusting YT account, so strike part of my remark from the record (I will stand behind my 'their-social-media-team-has-no-idea-what-they're-doing' statement. See: untagged clip spoilers, multiple crediting and photoshop gaffes, bad public relation ideas, and how bad they are at getting relevant clips and trailers up in time, etc).

@Joe - It's interesting that you've seen buzz. I feel more like they're trying to create buzz? IDK.
 
Top Bottom