Ash vs Evil Dead S03E05: Baby Proof Discussion [SPOILERS]

I wouldn't say that, there is a deeper meaning to it then just him becoming a brujo, this episode was about pablo moving into the next stage or the final stage of his character and closing off the past threads established in the previous two seasons and paying off some seeds planted in those previous seasons and basically beating the evil within him and ridding himself of the curse that book placed on him in the s1 finale.

Remember back in s1 it's a well known fact before they went to tio's pablo's been running from his heritage/past and going forward after the brujo episodes, he wanted to find his purpose/place in the fight against evil going forward. This episode was paying off that arc that was sadly put on the back burner in s2 and also paying off his will they/won't they aspect with him and kelly finally which craig also put on the backburner.

If anything, this episode and the first half accomplished is basically paying off most of pablo's goals from the first two seasons.

1. His now a official brujo and from what tio told him his much stronger then him in his abilities. Hence the "Especial"

2. His relationship with kelly is now very much established

3. His conquered the evil within him and gotten rid of the curse that has been slowly killing him since the s1 finale

and finally and most importantly

4. He now know's his true purpose and what he has to do going forward.

We are now going to have a more confident and more heroic pablo heading into this second half, his no longer this nerdy/nervous kid working at value stop with ash. His now the hero his always wanted to be and has finally gotten the upper hand on evil for good this time.

What i'm loving about this season is that mark is giving the characters goals to meet and is paying off what's been previously established in the other two seasons and another thing as well. IT'S NOT FUCKING AIMLESS, we actually have clear cut goals for each character this season and a pretty solid direction going forth into this second half. If craig was still running this show, we would be about halfway through his original third season plan with a jealous pablo still not meeting his goals and likely still being evil's chew toy, ash doing his usual shtick and kelly being the damsel in distress for the season and more baal.

Mark may not have the best execution with some aspects, but at least the guy is actually trying to tell a story with a clear cut direction and having actual worthwhile goals for these characters to meet this season, i just wish the guy was hired on for the previous two seasons cause he actually understands the property his working on and has injected some much needed heart into the show that was sorely missing/lacking from the previous two seasons.

Now coming up in this next episode, i feel like were going to see the result of kelly's journey of getting her revenge on evil and possibly paying that off finally.

Well, I kinda agree with some things you said. You're right, the character (Pablo) evolved from nerdy to Shaman. This is good point. goals are more clear, you are also right. The work of Mark is indeed more focused, this is also a good thing. Did he save the day? Unfortunately no. You are also right he do not have the best execution. But I also agree with @Muzzlehatch there's still a lot of lazy writing. The blood bowls sequence is a good example. There's no logic or any solid background story about the way to solve this. It's just a messy improvised ritual. So Mark improved a lot of things so far, but also missed the marks a lot.

At first, I was sure the writers had intention to do copy/paste the sequence of the 3 books in the cemetery from AoD and do a 3 bowls of blood version. This is still lazy I agreed, but make so much sense than what we got. (Please don't tell me they probably didn't did this because they don't have AoD rights, I know)

I just think about Pablo saying a quote similar to Ash : 3 Bowls!? "What am I suppose to do!? Am I suppose to drink one bowl of blood or all of them? or what!?"
 
Last edited:
I thought the scene was handled well enough and the test was simple enough and wasn't overtly complicated to understand as a viewer, 2 bowls for the evil currently consuming him and 1 being the blood of his ancestors. Simple and to the point.

Just wanna point out that from the dialogue in the scene, pablo had to sense and open himself up to figure out which bowl to choose, tio told him before he left "Don't see with your eyes", it's kinda like how ash first started out when he went under the brujo's trance, he had to open himself up to see what was happening around him.

I think the reason i like it so much is because this has been a long time coming for pablo as a character so i would say the growth and pablo finally getting to step up for these final set of episodes is more important here then the test itself, in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Oh my God, that poor fake-blood soaked child actor!

I agree with Joe, BTW; I think it served purpose in the plot and it helped fix a few things. The details bug me but they're just details.

I just think about Pablo saying a quote similar to Ash : 3 Bowls!? "What am I suppose to do!? Am I suppose to drink one bowl of blood or all of them? or what!?"

PFT!! :D
 
Top Bottom