Ash vs Evil Dead supercut's/Fan edit's *SPOILERS*

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Joined
Aug 1, 2015
Alright i couldn't really find anywhere else to post this but i thought i'd make a thread for any fan edit's or touch up's someone make's to S1. So thought i'd kick this thread off with this really awesome edit i found of s1, it really blend's  the episodes well from what i've seen so far of this edit, and cut's some of the fat off some scene's. Here's the link's to the original post and the link to this edit.

ORIGINAL POST and Fan Cut
https://www.reddit.com/r/AshVsEvilDead/comments/40qemc/as_requested_ash_vs_evil_deadevil_dead_4_feature/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ed8UAJkcZ9cGJCS0VrNGhVVDA/view


WOW, whoever edited this supercut of s1 deserves a medal and a seal of approval, he cut's out alot of the filler and throwaway dialogue and blends the episode's perfectly together and focuses alot more on the character dialouge. Whoever had any complaints with the show should really watch this cut, it really feels your watching ed4.

WELP, this guy's a genius, he fixed ep 9 and made it a lot more fun to watch.
 
Alright just got done watching the whole edit and i have to say, it was f**king awesome, the subtle changes he makes to the dialogue especially with ash make the biggest differences and makes the ending to the finale stick a lot more. And another thing i liked is that he actually fixes amanda and ruby's character's, and actually makes them come into the story at the right moment's. And the big thing that won me over with this edit was how he fixed ep9 in general. The subtle change's he did to the two of us scene really kept the emotional impact ep8 had and makes it a lot more creepier with the jump cut's between that scene and pablo kelly's scene. Overall, this guy fixed alot of s1 problems and really showcased the character's arc's more and felt really smooth in general, really give this supercut a watch it makes s1 alot more enjoyable to watch.
 
Awesome! 

I skimmed through a little and it certainly looks promising. The edits and transitions are seamless. I thought the cut right at the end was already infinitely better than what we got.

I'm going to wait for the more compressed version to be uploaded (50gb is waaay to big) before checking out the full vid.
 
My curiosity got the best of me and I watched it. I like some of the edits. The person who edited this actually did the first thing that popped into my head when I first started thinking about how to cut the show down to feature length: They completely removed the Amanda/Ruby "partnership" and their scene at the Brujo's place. On this cut, they chase after Ash separately and Ruby is never dragged into the funeral pyre. That works very well and the fact that it works so well only goes to show how pointless that stuff was to the overall story. Removing some of the filler and a few terrible lines of dialogue was definitely an improvement. However, it could still be a lot shorter. There's a lot more unimportant stuff that could be cut for pacing. They could shave another 30 minutes off of this thing very easily and with just a little more hard work, it could be made into a 3 hour movie. The thing is, a lot of stuff happens during the episode breaks that we don't see, so cutting it like this kinda creates a whole bunch of new problems and small plot holes. The chronology of events is kinda messy at the beginning. The way the Amanda and Ruby exclusive scenes were edited was really weird. It kept jumping from day to night with very little continuity. The mid section seems to happen in a single looooooong day until they get to the cabin. That didn't work very well. I know how hard it is to do this and there's a lot of interesting stuff in this cut, but it isn't quite there yet.

Joem1k said:
Whoever had any complaints with the show should really watch this cut, it really feels your watching ed4.

Improvements made on this edit:

- Less filler
- A few terrible lines of dialogue are gone
- Very subtle improvement to Ash's character
- Removal of the Amanda/Ruby partnership subplot
- Removal of the talking Necronomicon scene

Other than that, it's just an abridged version of the show. All of the major problems I had with it are still there and it's still very sloppy, contrived and inconsistent in concept and execution. There's not much that can be done about that. Actually, re-watching all of it in a single sitting like this made me dislike it even more. Some of the narrative issues and that "we're making it all up as we go along" feeling are made even more apparent on this cut. Amanda's change of heart and her "romance" with Ash, for instance, makes even less sense without the breathing room between episodes. Also, some stuff that I actually liked on my first viewing didn't look as good this time around. This will probably be the last time I'll rewatch this season. I gave it a second shot, and to my eyes, it's still terrible.

Joem1k said:
The subtle change's he did to the two of us scene really kept the emotional impact ep8 had and makes it a lot more creepier with the jump cut's between that scene and pablo kelly's scene.

See, that didn't work as well for me. Personally, I really didn't like the cross-cutting.
 
I'm really looking forward to watching this, thanks for the link ..
 
DyD said:
Joem1k said:
The subtle change's he did to the two of us scene really kept the emotional impact ep8 had and makes it a lot more creepier with the jump cut's between that scene and pablo kelly's scene.

See, that didn't work as well for me. Personally, I really did't like the cross-cutting.

I think the reason why it worked so well for me is because of the song lyrics  and how it synched up well with the scene's, especially the part were ash look's over at amanda with a very remorseful look and how the song also play's into pablo's attraction with heather, and it also playing into the build up of amanda turning into a deadite. It felt very ironic yet tragic, i think that's why i loved it so much.
 
Joem1k said:
I think the reason why it worked so well for me is because of the song lyrics  and how it synched up well with the scene's, especially the part were ash look's over at amanda with a very remorseful look and how the song also play's into pablo's attraction with heather, and it also playing into the build up of amanda turning into a deadite. It felt very ironic yet tragic, i think that's why i loved it so much.

The song syncs up well with both scenes, but I don't think the scenes sync up well with each other.
 
This one brings up some mixed emotions for me; a lot of the edits fix the flow of the storyline and take out the worst of the underdeveloped, half-baked ideas (I'll have a rare disagreement with DyD and say that I'd rather the Amanda/Ruby storyline be expanded to make actual sense, but excising the whole thing when you don't have access to cut scenes makes sense).  Almost everything with the Amanda/Ash storyline remains and continues to show how ill-plotted that idea, which continues to serve to weaken what little character she had beforehand.

Sometimes I look at the Amanda/Ash stuff and wonder why it doesn't work for me the way Sheila/Ash does when they 'fall in love' in the same period of time and then I watch stuff like this and I'm confronted with the awkward crudeness that they tried to pass off as romance in the Ash/Amanda SL and realize no, it's not me, it's the writing.  What's weird is that Pablo and Kelly's relationship has much more weight and even though I'm annoyed by how.  Slowly.  They're dragging.  It.  Out.  It at least resembles some kind of romance one might want to root for most of the time (most of the time being operative, see the chinks I've pointed out in their writing armor).
 
MaidOfKandar said:
I'll have a rare disagreement with DyD and say that I'd rather the Amanda/Ruby storyline be expanded to make actual sense, but excising the whole thing when you don't have access to cut scenes makes sense

We don't actually disagree on that. To expand it would certainly be better, but since there's no material we can use to expand it and the idea behind this cut is to make the whole thing shorter, I see no problem at all in excising that subplot completely. It has very little effect on the story. In this particular case, cutting that completely inconsequential subplot is a no brainer.
 
DyD said:
MaidOfKandar said:
I'll have a rare disagreement with DyD and say that I'd rather the Amanda/Ruby storyline be expanded to make actual sense, but excising the whole thing when you don't have access to cut scenes makes sense

We don't actually disagree on that. To expand it would certainly be better, but since there's no material we can use to expand it and the idea behind this cut is to make the whole thing shorter, I see no problem at all in excising that subplot completely. It has very little effect on the story. In this particular case, cutting that completely inconsequential subplot is a no brainer.



Ahh, I should've figured we were on the same page RE this!
 
This would be easier to do and work a lot better if you could remove Lem and episode 7 completely, but that episode shows them getting the weapons from the militia and Ash splitting up from the rest of the gang, so it can't be done without creating a whole bunch of new plot holes. That's the one thing that really made me give up on a "movie edit" of the first season. Removing episode 7 would really help fix the pacing and the problem of having most of the story seemingly taking place in a single day. Without the milita camp stuff, you could say they go to the book store in the morning, the Brujo stuff happens in the afternoon and then they head to the cabin straight after the diner. Ash and Amanda's relationship is another thing that needs to be expanded to make sense, so I know a lot of people would be against removing their scenes together in the bunker. However, since that's another case of something that can't be expanded because of a lack of material, I firmly believe the less of that stuff we see, the better it is for the overall story. I would also cut a lot of Amanda's final moments with Ash, maybe even removing their entire exchange and kiss. If possible, I'd make Ash find Amanda just a couple of seconds before she expires. That way, the only weird moment of romance they would share is Amanda's dialogue exchange with Evil Ash.

However, even if you could remove episode 7, that would still mean they went two days and nights without sleeping. Maybe Ruby's scene with Kelly's father could be moved to right before the diner episode? That could fix the chronology issues at the beginning, insert a new night in the middle of the story and it could flow very well with the beginning of episode 6, showing them having breakfast at the diner. This way, the story would seemingly take place in three days instead of just two. Episodes 1-2 would be the first day and night, 3-4-5 would be the second and 6-7-8-9-10 would be the final day and night.
 
Ha, weirdly I was thinking that if you could edit Ash and Amanda's relationship into some kind of semi-platonic thing that never goes romantic it would worked. It's not like she serves as motivation for him in the end - he's totally driven by Pablo and then Kelly's safety in the last episode. Compare that to how Linda's memory motivates Ash in 1 and 2 and (arguably) Sheila's kidnapping drives him in AOD.

You could almost get away with the not sleeping part. Didn't Pablo say none of them had showered for two days (Which means Ash's trailer doesn't have a shower, which I swear it has in the little glimpse we get of it)? All of that anxiety and drive might keep them up that log. I like that idea better - also it would paper over the fact that they are nowhere near Tennessee and the cabin is somehow somewhere in Western Michigan.
 
Top Bottom