Deadites..Can they be classified as zombies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HelloMyNameIsAsh
  • Start date Start date
I don't really think that they can be seen as the same since, on a comparison of what happens with each, they actually are opposite to each other. A zombie has to have a period of zero oxygen to the brain; a brain death. Although it is never said as far as I know, it displays the action of what happens; no cellular regeneration, and disruption of involuntary responses. For instance, the brain of a zombie has erratic response to pain, muscle movement, hunger, sensory signals, and adrenaline rushes. They don't say, "Naw, I don't feel like eating this guy, you go ahead.", or move as if rigor never set in, or say, "OUCH!! That hurt you big bully!!", so the involuntary responses have been altered from a brain death. Since they do not improve, there is no cellular regeneration; staying as they are is the best that a zombie can hope to be. The possessions still hold on to the key factors that retain life, a zombie does not. With a deadite, the look of decay is more along the lines of a reaction; a fiddleback spider bites and the result is decay on areas around the bite. Remove the demon, or remove the venom in the bite, the reaction goes to. Granted some still maintain rot areas from a spider bite, but they are more sensitive to the venom. It would be closer to place a deadite in the class of vampire since they do keep the functions.Even then, the vampire is acting singular, while the possession is completely acting with the force of a second party. That was how I always looked at it, but could be wrong.
 
Just to switch sides and play devil's advocate on behalf of HelloMyNameIsAsh for a moment, zombie Bub out of Day of the Dead was taught to say "Hello Aunt Elisha".. also let's not forget the zombie who issues the instruction "Send more paramedics". These later films were directed by the George Romero and John Russo, the men who made the first ever modern zombie film Night of the Living Dead so, apparently, zombies can become sentient to some basic level. I like the vampire comparison though I feel traditional vampires have always used seduction in one form or another to attack people .... other than Linda and Cheryl temporarily pretending to be normal again just to play with Ash's mind in The Evil Dead, Deadites/Kandarian demons tend to be more brutal than seductive.
 
I think the problem with this discussion here is that some people still think I mean zombie as in the traditional sense like the Romero zombie..and I'm not at all.

there are different types of zombies throughout countless movies, books, games, and shows.

funny zombies, serious zombies, stupid slow moving zombies, smart fast moving zombies, zombies that can talk, zombies that are dumb, etc.

I understand in Evil Dead, the evil dead themselves are Kandarian demons that possess the living...all I'm saying is when a human is possessed by a demon wouldn't they be considered a FORM/TYPE of zombie?

NOT a zombie in the traditional sense, but a different/re-imagining type of zombie?

Like I said you look up what a zombie is by defection it's a reanimated corpse. Deadites are corpses that are undead/living dead.

In terms of other examples on how/why they could be classified as zombies I would say look at how they are portrayed in the Evil Dead games and in the Army of Darkness comics. Heck, Ash himself refers to them flat out as zombies sometimes.

Cast and crew members in the past of the various films have referred to them as zombies and even in Stephen King's review of the original film he called it a zombie film.

But before you take my head off with a shovel like I said, I'm not trying to say they are the stupid zombies like you see in most zombie pop culture.

If anything I would say more like how zombies are in Lollipop Chainsaw (which is an awesome game and btw features an Ash costume)

This isn't like when I Am Legend came out and people wrongly assumed the Darkseekrs were zombies (seriously how could people not tell that they were vampires?...I mean come on they couldn't go out in the sun and instead of using a steak to trap one, Robert used a vial of blood...duhhhh).

I'm just saying Deadites can be like a form of zombie...like how we have zombies and then we have zombie redneck torture family :P
 
Well, can a living person become a zombie before death? By definition, no. Can a person become a deadite before death? Wouldn't those answers need to mirror for both to be the same? Just me, but I think zombie is too well defined a term, the connection between both is a viral origin. Going beyond a parasite invading a host is where things get tricky.
 
sleek link said:
... but I think zombie is too well defined a term ....

This ..

..because of course there are many types of zombies these days ... Ren & Stimpy zombies, Nazi zombies, a zombie boy that falls in love with a living girl in a new comedy, Billy Conolly zombie, even an actor from the UK soap opera Coronation Street has just directed a zombie movie. Not forgetting zombies having sex in BrainDead and a zombie giving birth the Dawn of the Dead remake. I'm just waiting for the skateboarding or surfing zombie... the list is endless these days .. I think a Deadite is sort of a zombie as much as I think an apple is sort of an orange because they're both fruit.
 
Zombies have gone mainstream and it's become a bit over saturated these days. So a lot people are lazy and lump everything undead under zombies.
 
I'm just gonna drop this all together cause nobody is getting my point lol.
 
HelloMyNameIsAsh link said:
I'm just gonna drop this all together cause nobody is getting my point lol.

Well, I get your point... I know there are different type of zombies. I just don't consider deadites to be one of them.
 
Kain ... you'd better lock me in the cellar .. I think I'm about to turn.
 
Woh .... I'm all right now! ... listen to me! ......... I'm.all.right.now.  :)
 
Top Bottom