Evil Dead 2

My favorite iteration of the franchise, although I only had seen it for the first time after watching AoD dozen of times.

One thing often missing from many reviews: It’s written so well and compressed. A big chunk of the movie is carried by only one actor / character with only a handful of lines. But there is no padding. Not a single unnecessary shot, scene or word.
 
My favorite in the trilogy, but the last one I watched. When I was finally able to track down a VHS copy of it in a video store I was already a fan of the other two.

One thing often missing from many reviews: It’s written so well and compressed. A big chunk of the movie is carried by only one actor / character with only a handful of lines. But there is no padding. Not a single unnecessary shot, scene or word.

Yes! People always go on and on about how fun and funny and outrageous it is, but almost nobody talks about how well put together and efficient it is. The script and editing are just perfectly paced and structured.
 
Last edited:
My favorite iteration of the franchise, although I only had seen it for the first time after watching AoD dozen of times.

One thing often missing from many reviews: It’s written so well and compressed. A big chunk of the movie is carried by only one actor / character with only a handful of lines. But there is no padding. Not a single unnecessary shot, scene or word.
I don't know if it's the best of the original trilogy because they all have their own different strengths. It's the nicest fun natured one to watch .. it's just a technicolour and less moody Muppet Show version of the original for me so I love it for those reasons.
 
Evil Dead 2 is the first for a lot of people including me, and it will always have a special place in my heart... but the original is how you make a movie the right way. It is incredible what they accomplished, and the stiff acting only adds to the movies charm all these years later.
 
It is incredible what they accomplished, and the stiff acting only adds to the movies charm all these years later.

I think that's one of the reasons the remake and AvED (and maybe it will be the case with Evil Dead Rise as well) never felt quite right to me. Any Evil Dead production that looks too polished or made with a comfortable budget for the script will always feel like it's missing something.
 
Last edited:
I think that's one of the reasons the remake and AvED (and maybe it will be the case with Evil Dead Rise as well) never felt quite right to me. Any Evil Dead production that looks too polished or made with a comfortable budget for the script will always feel like it's missing something.
I'll embrace new directions the OG crew are sending the new films in. Having said that, Evil Dead 2 was more than just a sequel at the time. The amount of different art departments utilised to make it at the time would be rare to find today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DyD
I think that's one of the reasons the remake and AvED (and maybe it will be the case with Evil Dead Rise as well) never quite felt right to me. Any Evil Dead production that looks too polished or made with a comfortable budget for the script will always feel like it's missing something.
That‘s the reason why I prefer ED2 over ED. ED2 is a good movie with b-movie production value. ED is a mediocre movie with c-movie production value. I love both. But in case of ED I enjoy all the behind the scenes stuff way more than the film itself. Without the nostalgia, the respect for the gang‘s creative energy and DIY approach all that’s left is a mediocre film. Especially the sometimes dragging pace reflect the many hardships and problems in the making. In my opinion Sam and also Bruce find their ground with ED2.
 
My second favorite in the franchise; Sam and Bruce both come into their own on this one.
 
While Evil Dead 1 is the beginning of the franchise, with a great horror vibe, 2 is my favourite from the original trilogy, not just because it's a nice mix of horror and comedy, but mainly because Ash has evolved/changed so much since the first movie. In part I Ash was a bit "coward", Scotty was the one taking the action in it's first half, while Ash didn't know what to do. Meanwhile, in the second movie, right from the start, in the car, Ash's semblant is already diferent, we now know he's the opposite of the first movie, he's now brave, sarcastic and with great womanizer quotes.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom