Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

By the way, remember how excited we were when we saw the floating Deadite in the first teaser? Yeah, I guess spoiler alert, but that's the only shot with something like this in the whole movie. To the extend that I now think that he wasn't floating at all and it was just a weird camera angle. It's just the same boring Deadites as in the previous two movies (though at least they all have some sort of personality and not just the main one like Mia and Ellie in the previous two films).
 
We're looking at a fourth place finish domestically; even though Moana is doing Snow White Live Action Flick levels of terrible, it's still going to be a number one box office finish. Burn is likely to be half as profitable as Rise was and the studio is touting it as a "modestly profitable" endvevor (And is probably why they hedged their bets by
linking this one so closely to Rise and doing that Elllie midcredit stinger without Sebastian's permission; since this won't make Rise levels of cash and heaven knows how Wrath will turn out, they're probably going to do what they can to bring Lee back to make a direct "Rise" Sequel.
 
Mark Kermode's review of Burn. He found it depressing and didn't like the 'torture porn' colour pallet of the film although he famously (if you live in the UK) loves the original trilogy.

 
Mark Kermode's review of Burn. He found it depressing and didn't like the 'torture porn' colour pallet of the film although he famously (if you live in the UK) loves the original trilogy.


I'm amused by how many people say this one is mean spirited, because what happens to Cheryl alone in the first one isn't.

Kermode is BITCHY in this one! It's interesting how many franchise stalwart in the press who glazed the remake and Rise hated this one. I have to wait to deliver an informed opinion of my own.
 
Evil Dead 1 was a comedy? :oops:
I never got that attitude either. Some people were laughing despite the original being a straight of horror apparently back in the day. Bruce Campbell used to mention that about his Ash being seen as a bit of a wimp at first according to some viewers.

I've often wondered if that partly explains Ash's toughening up character ark through the original trilogy. By Army Of Darkness, he's an action movie hero (of sorts) instead but I've never laughed at anything in the original. My theory is that at late night showings, boyfriends and girlfriends showing up to watch because of the film's reputation, the boyfriends were laughing to look tough in front of their girlfriends?. I don't know.
 
I'm amused by how many people say this one is mean spirited, because what happens to Cheryl alone in the first one isn't.

Kermode is BITCHY in this one! It's interesting how many franchise stalwart in the press who glazed the remake and Rise hated this one. I have to wait to deliver an informed opinion of my own.
The first one was bleak and exploitative in a way (especially in that Cheryl scene) but Burn really is meanspirited in that Saw kinda way.
 
The first one was bleak and exploitative in a way (especially in that Cheryl scene) but Burn really is meanspirited in that Saw kinda way.
I think the real difference is that the original Evil Dead might be dark and meanspirited in an intellectual sense, but in a stylistic sense it isn't because the film is so campy and low budget and Raimi's style was like a manic carnival ride that it dampened the darker elements of the film.

Burn just felt like I was watching an arthouse French film about domestic abuse.
 

Joe LoDuca is missed, and I thought the music was the weakest part of Burn.
The first one was bleak and exploitative in a way (especially in that Cheryl scene) but Burn really is meanspirited in that Saw kinda way.
Saw is a series that after the 1st movie you don't have to watch anymore, and I didn't... but wouldn't put it and Evil Dead Burn in the same category.
 
Joe LoDuca is missed, and I thought the music was the weakest part of Burn.

Saw is a series that after the 1st movie you don't have to watch anymore, and I didn't... but wouldn't put it and Evil Dead Burn in the same category.
Maybe not the same category, but the new movies really lean into the torture porn territory. It is how the 2013 remake tried to replicate the brutal reputation of the first movie and sadly they just got stuck with this mold for all of the three new entries.
 
I was talking with my co-workers about the movie today and a thought occurred to me... why didn't any of Will's employees show up to his funeral? Was he that much of an asshole that none of his underlings didn't even bother to show up? "Well it could be family only..." I hear you say, which is entirely possible... but still you'd think the employees would send flowers or something to the crematorium, right?
 
I was talking with my co-workers about the movie today and a thought occurred to me... why didn't any of Will's employees show up to his funeral? Was he that much of an asshole that none of his underlings didn't even bother to show up? "Well it could be family only..." I hear you say, which is entirely possible... but still you'd think the employees would send flowers or something to the crematorium, right?
Will dying the way he did I'm sure the obituary included the line in lieu of flowers.
 
By the way, remember how excited we were when we saw the floating Deadite in the first teaser? Yeah, I guess spoiler alert, but that's the only shot with something like this in the whole movie. To the extend that I now think that he wasn't floating at all and it was just a weird camera angle.
No, no... he was 100% floating off the ground. They're just very weird about doing floating Deadites these days... remember how Ash vs Evil Dead only had one Deadite float in the entire series (in the second to last episode)?
 
I was talking with my co-workers about the movie today and a thought occurred to me... why didn't any of Will's employees show up to his funeral? Was he that much of an asshole that none of his underlings didn't even bother to show up? "Well it could be family only..." I hear you say, which is entirely possible... but still you'd think the employees would send flowers or something to the crematorium, right?

I think the general impression was he was such an abusive jerk that no one wanted to pay tribute to him except those who were forced to by genetics or marriage.
 
Top Bottom