Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

Luckily I was able to see Burn on holiday in a small(ish) town's outdoor cinema that had gave me this very nice old-school ticket.

1nTwi7c.jpeg

By the way the Czech names for these movies are as inconsistent as the franchise itself. The first movie and the 2013 remake are called Lesní duch (basically "The Forest Spirit") but Evil Dead II is then called Smrtelné zlo 2 (something like "Deadly Evil 2" or "Mortal Evil 2", which is the more literal translation, but also the one that doesn't make as much sense). Army of Darkness is Armáda temnot, which is pretty much spot on, Evil Dead Rise is Smrtelné zlo: Probuzení ("Deadly Evil: Awakening") and Evil Dead Burn is Smrtelné zlo: V plamenech ("Deadly Evil: In Flames").

The weirdest thing is that Ash vs Evil Dead doesn't even have a Czech title, even though it went through Czech distribution.

It's the same mess here in Brazil. The Evil Dead was originally titled "A Morte do Demônio" ("The Demon's Death"), but Evil Dead II was released here as if it was the first in the series under the new title of "Uma Noite Alucinante" (something like "An Absurd Night"). Then Army of Darkness was released here as "Uma Noite Alucinante 3" ("An Absurd Night 3") even though there was never an "Uma Noite Alucinante 2" and the first one wasn't even called that. Later in the DVD era there was an attempt to fix this and they started releasing the Raimi trilogy retitled as "An Absurd Night: The Demon's Death", "An Absurd Night 2" and "An Absurd Night 3" – but when the 2013 remake was released, for some reason they decided to call it just "The Demon's Death" again, simply dropping the "An Absurd Night" title that had already become the official name for the series. The new movies are called "The Demon's Death", "The Demon's Death: The Rising" and now "The Demon's Death: In Flames". As far as I know, Ash vs. Evil Dead also never got a brazilian title.

So, basically, the Raimi films are currently known as the "Absurd Night" trilogy here in Brazil and the new films are the "Demon's Death" series. That is, until they decide to change it all up again, of course...
 
Last edited:
It's the same mess here in Brazil. The Evil Dead was originally titled "A Morte do Demônio" ("The Demon's Death"), but Evil Dead II was released here as if it was the first in the series under the new title of "Uma Noite Alucinante" (something like "An Absurd Night"). Then Army of Darkness was released here as "Uma Noite Alucinante 3" ("An Absurd Night 3") even though there was never an "Uma Noite Alucinante 2" and the first one wasn't even called that. Later in the DVD era there was an attempt to fix this and they started releasing the Raimi trilogy retitled as "An Absurd Night: The Demon's Death", "An Absurd Night 2" and "An Absurd Night 3" – but when the 2013 remake was released, for some reason they decided to call it just "The Demon's Death" again, simply dropping the "An Absurd Night" title that had already become the official name for the series. The new movies are called "The Demon's Death", "The Demon's Death: The Rising" and now "The Demon's Death: In Flames". As far as I know, Ash vs. Evil Dead also never got a brazilian title.

So, basically, the Raimi films are currently known as the "Absurd Night" trilogy here in Brazil and the new films are the "Demon's Death" series. That is, until they decide to change it all up again, of course...
Here in French-speaking Canada, the *Evil Dead* series is called *L'opéra de la terreur*, which translates to *The Opera of Terror*. *Army of Darkness* is a faithful translation. I've always wondered what they based their decision on to translate this title as something related to an opera.

*AvED* doesn’t have a French title; it has the same title as in English.
 
Sébastien has shared some concept art he did, including the full pages with the incantation!

'The journal in Evil Dead Burn makes references to not only Professor Knowby from the original movie but his wife Henrietta and their daughter Annie.'

aBurnKnowby001.jpg
 
I want opinions on this, because I'm not really sure what to think. Now that we have the full uncensored incantation pages from Burn... what book do you think they belong to? The page artwork doesn't match the aesthetic of the Rise book, nor the classic ED1/ED2 book. It's fairly close to the 2013 book (and the close up illustration of the book in Benjamin's journal seems to hint at that), but not quite a match. I'm almost wondering if it is from a non-Necronomicon/Naturom Demonto book entirely... perhaps some other spell book that's been passed down through the years?
 
I want opinions on this, because I'm not really sure what to think. Now that we have the full uncensored incantation pages from Burn... what book do you think they belong to? The page artwork doesn't match the aesthetic of the Rise book, nor the classic ED1/ED2 book. It's fairly close to the 2013 book (and the close up illustration of the book in Benjamin's journal seems to hint at that), but not quite a match. I'm almost wondering if it is from a non-Necronomicon/Naturom Demonto book entirely... perhaps some other spell book that's been passed down through the years?
Looking at it in the film which I've only watched once so far, I think it was a separate researcher's personal diary so not an ancient tome. I can imagine the researcher has had access to Raymond Knowby's original and hand copied it as well as including his own notes. That's what it looked like to me anyway .. because am I imagining it or did these notes have a conventional black leather looking cover in Evil Dead Burn instead of a cover that looked like human skin?.
 
Last edited:
Looking at it in the film which I've only watched once so far, I think it was a separate researcher's personal diary so not an ancient tome.
They were in the journal, but they're clearly photocopies of pages from one of the books... maybe.
Am I imagining it or did these notes have a conventional black leather looking cover in Evil Dead Burn instead of a cover that looked like human skin?
Yes, it was a normal black leather cover.
 
They were in the journal, but they're clearly photocopies of pages from one of the books... maybe.

Yes, it was a normal black leather cover.
.. and if you zoom into the page image I've posted above, there's hand written notes queries written over the skulls, one of which is querying the cowl over the head with a question mark. I can't fully decipher the whole written sentence.

I'm guessing he was a co worker/researcher of Knowby's which would explain his writing above the skull also querying if the police knew more than they were saying in 1983 about the disappearance of Knowby, his wife and his daughter Annie.
 
'The journal in Evil Dead Burn makes references to not only Professor Knowby from the original movie but his wife Henrietta and their daughter Annie.'

View attachment 572
I just now noticed that the skull in the book with the red hatched region seems to belong to Evil Ed!
 
.. and if you zoom into the page image I've posted above, there's hand written notes queries written over the skulls, one of which is querying the cowl over the head with a question mark. I can't fully decipher the whole written sentence.

I'm guessing he was a co worker/researcher of Knowby's which would explain his writing above the skull also querying if the police knew more than they were saying in 1983 about the disappearance of Knowby, his wife and his daughter Annie.
Not sure if what follows V2 Surrender to former (insert word here) is cowl, or what could of head done (insert word here...) but you can see the full pages from the journal in higher quality below.

 
I think that the book isn't identical to any of the other books because in this version of The Lore, we have three books.

I have finally seen Burn! Initial thoughts - goes beneath Rise in my rankings. There's some benefits to having a pace that never slows down and definitely drawbacks. The movie also skirted its own internal lore to a great amount, and I've got a bone to pick with some of. Also whoever said it wasn't the funniest ED is wrong - I had good laughs, bad laughs, medium laughs, etc.
 
Not sure if what follows V2 Surrender to former (insert word here) is cowl, or what could of head done (insert word here...) but you can see the full pages from the journal in higher quality below.


The top part of the same page is hard to read in places due to blurriness and smears, but mentions plans and a continued breakdown... and did he (too blurry) neighbors. Raymond in isolation. Knowby's preference (ink splotch) what looks like burning in several weeks. And something about hiding (possibly) any evidence they have relocated. The last bit is Knowby has access to The Book of the Dead (Necronomican) spelled with an a that ends with is this the original though?
 
Extended thoughts with spoilers time!

I knew this was going to be a controversial, even unpopular Evil Dead the second we smash-cut from a man running a Deadite over to an ass twerking in a club. It's not that it's just mean-spirited with its violence, Sebastien's POV is Very French. It's street French patois, complete with rap, club culture, and dramatic monologues about smoking. I don't mean this as an insult, it's just very dry and sarcastic and takes little seriously - which is why his tone was a bad fit for what's basically a feminist domestic violence drama. I lived to see a feminist Evil Dead movie! I'm so happy! Why aren't we hiring women to write and direct these again? In any event this one desperately needed an audit by a stern third party because with one more rewrite it might have been great. But it is not. Sigh.

The Good

* The mother's arc effected me in a way I didn't expect. She is stuck in a hell that isn't of her own choosing long before Will's death; put there by her father's tragic, failed attempt at protecting them all, glued there by her sister's death (which is unnecessary because it effects nothing) and then her mother's spiritual death. Her only joy in life are her two sons, one of whom failed to launch, the other who launched but has translated his father's anger into ugly abuse. No wonder she follows the false promise to her given by the Deadites that she'll continue to have purpose and a life if she just gives them the dagger.

* Some of the humor worked. My favorite moment was them playing Alice and Will's wedding song at the funeral and then doing extreme telenova zooms, only to be brought back to reality by the coffin falling off the trolley.

* The kiss was fantastic and another example of dry humor.

* Thya was a great red herring heroine, and the best of the Deadites. She had a quality like Linda Blair in Reposessed. Yes, this is a compliment.

* I liked Alice as a protagonist. I like that she spent very, very little time cowering in the corner. I suppose the movie's breakneck pacing helped this,. And I'm laughing at us getting a blatantly anti-motherhood film after Rise. YEAH FUCK THEM KIDS! SECOND EVER WOO GIRL HEROINE!

The Bad:

* The prologue and the post-credit scenes are both painfully stupid and naked attempts from the studio to set up continuity with Burn and get asses in the seats. It didn't work well enough to support these choices. Enough with this random yahoos dying and it meaning nothing in the prologue! I'm not impressed! I don't care! And what, suddenly Ellie is a serial child murderer? The incantation was enough to turn her from ashes into a Deadite? It was blatant, insecure pandering all the way.

*When your pace is so breakneck you never take a breath, sometimes that's good for the pacing, sometimes it causes Bad Giggles. That's all I've gotta say!

*The lore additions make next to no freaking sense at all. We're set in the same world as Rise, this uses the same infection point as Rise, with a Deadite using the same incantation that infected everyone in Rise. And suddenly the only thing that REALLY kills Deadites is a Kandarian dagger we've never seen before? I know this was an attempted adaptation of Evil Dead 2 lore, that KDs DO kill Deadites, but it makes no fucking sense when our last Deadite died via woodchipper, Ash has killed multiple Deadites with Boom Headshotting, etc. And we're in the same world as Original Recipe Evil Dead via that clipping. Saying Deadite infestation is just a matter of willpower is also a huge insult to all the characters who've come before, especially because we just killed a bunch of kids in the last movie. It's just a flu! you can shake it off! I laughed my ass off at Old Pappy Deadite To Be coughing his way into the grave.

* The movie CONTRADICTS ITS OWN LORE MID-STROKE. After all the heavy establishment that bodily fluids will turn you into a Deadite (saliva does it twice - Susan and Polly, a touch/scratch twice (Edgar and the mid-credit lady), presumably Joseph gets it via inhaling Thya's blood, Incantation takes out Will, Thya gets it via penlike stabbing), Alice inherits more plot armor than Ash ever wore. She got stabbed by a piece of glass thanks to a Deadite, takes Thya's blood to the eye, and is stabbed in the freaking ear with a pen that already had infected blood on it AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO HER. Also if only a dagger can kill these super special Deadites, how was Joseph able to bludgeon Thya to death with the top of a dishwasher?!

*We had a lot of good or intended laughs, and then the bad laughs. I couldn't stop cackling at them showing the McGuffin Pen over and over again. WE GET IT SV YOU'VE SEEN EVIL DEAD.

* None of the Alzihmer's related humor was funny at all. I got one laugh out of any of it and that was from Polly sitting there listening to the family fight and firmly saying Thya shouldn't have stolen her money.

* What was the point of the ankle thing? Was it symbolic about how Alice was being restricted by connection to the family? Why did it lead nowhere?

* Will the Vecna CGI skeleton Deadite was the lamest final antagonist we've had since the abomination. He was not scary.

* Actually not one second of this movie scared me. It was gross and tense, sure, but I was barely grossed out and never scared.

* None of the Deadites are particularly memorable except for Thya. I know they wanted Pappy Headshot to be memorable, but nope.

* None of the dialogue is super memorable either. I suppose 'don't turn a deaf ear' is going to be the catch phrase from this one?

* Joseph's "to be a man you must taste blood" arc is a total waste of time.

* If you're going to make me sit through a dog getting violently killed and turned into a Deadite, at least have the dog do cool shit. This one just rehashes Cujo. Why not have it spew invective?

So yeah, slightly above OG Evil Dead for me, but not topping Rise. I cared about the characters which is an important factor here, but it needed another rewrite. Perhaps Bruce being less involved with this one took it down a peg or two for me?
 
Last edited:
Perhaps Bruce being less involved with this one took it down a peg or two for me?
As many other people have noted, it seemed like this movie was just kind of shoved out the door without much fanfare and more of the focus from the fandom (not just Evil Dead specific, but the wider horror film fandom in general) being interested in what's going on with Wrath. Everything about this film has just been... unusual on every level. Is it "too French" for us non French people? Does it reek of studio interference? Does it stray away from the classic Evil Dead formula too much? What is it that has made opinions on this particular installment so varied?
 
As many other people have noted, it seemed like this movie was just kind of shoved out the door without much fanfare and more of the focus from the fandom (not just Evil Dead specific, but the wider horror film fandom in general) being interested in what's going on with Wrath. Everything about this film has just been... unusual on every level. Is it "too French" for us non French people? Does it reek of studio interference? Does it stray away from the classic Evil Dead formula too much? What is it that has made opinions on this particular installment so varied?

I have a feeling WB wanted a different kind of movie - IE either something just like Rise or a continuation of Rise. Though it uses Rise's characters/themes/universe, it is very much Not Rise and has different themes.

Making the book so peripheral to the story also took some of the specialness out of it, I think.
 
I gotta say, I really appreciate the continued level of thoughtful discourse this forum maintains. Y'all really think before you speak, which is so much nicer, even should I disagree, than the hot take doinks on Facebook.
I've always imagine if this forum was a physical place, it would be like a library or a café... somewhere nice and quiet to have civil discussions over a subject clearly everyone here is passionate about. A pleasant contrast to the wider web beyond.
 
It's only been 5 days since I watched Burn and I can't think of many memorable things about it which isn't a good sign. I've only seen Rise once and I can still remember more about that film than Burn. Possessed grandma was cool but I remember feeling like I was watching a vampire movie instead of an Evil Dead one.

Now I think about it more, most of Burn was like watching the final Grandpa's house scenes from the superior 80's horror comedy film The Lost Boys.

I might have to re watch Burn for any comedy I might have missed. For example:

... the part where one of our un infected is trying to stab a deadite with the dagger but for no good or explained reason there's loads of identical looking daggers so our deadite says something like "Wrong one" .. so our hero picks up the next one while the deadite waits to be stabbed with the correct one? .. was that supposed to be funny? .. it just didn't make any sense at the time I was watching that scene.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom