Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

.. that's just the ones I've got to hand so StudioCanal have certainly not had the rights since 1982.
True... but they have it now through a series of various sales and acquisitions, see my other comment:
>Palace Pictures owned the UK distribution of ED1 & 2 from 1982 until they close in 1990
>Polygram Video picks up the rights from 1992 until they close around 1997/1998
>ED1 & 2 are not lumped in with Polygram's sale of their pre-1996 catalog to MGM, and somehow gets sold to Optimum Releasing
>Somewhere after Polygram goes under, ED1 is separated from the deal, and presumably those rights go back to Sam Raimi personally
>Optimum Releasing owns ED2 from 1998 to 2006, being sold to the brand-new StudioCanal UK
>StudioCanal UK now has the United Kingdom theatrical and home video distribution of everything but ED1 and AOD
 
True... but they have it now through a series of various sales and acquisitions, see my other comment:
Fair play to them for having the rights to what they have the rights to now, but I'm being pedantic. I don't think Studio Canal even existed in 1982. This would be like me saying I've been dating my wife since the year she was born otherwise.
 
Official listings for a Region-free EVIL DEAD BURN 4K UHD ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION from StudioCanal have appeared online. Bonus material included with the set include replica storyboards, replica Book of The Dead pages, alternate poster cards, a production notes book, and two posters. I legit think I'm cancelling my Burn SteelBook order and getting this set instead!
E99bTD1.jpeg

TBH not a fan of the posters. Here I thought it was going to be all the posters from the official social media (like the "goatse" one as shared here) but these are just... not impressive. I'm also bummed that the book pages are literally just the raw art that Sébastien shared on Instagram (not that he's a bad artist, of course) and not like on aged paper or something to make it look like it was part of a Book of The Dead.
 
Lord give me strength
SzVHJBt.png
Not that there is anything wrong with coming up with fan theories... but stuff like this is why I hate the people in positions of franchise authority (Sam, Bruce, Rob) not stepping in and making official statements on what the hell is going on with this new continuity... or making statements that are then contradicted by the next movie because they're too afraid to say "no" to these directors. We've gone from "I want Ash to be Mia's dad" to "Sam said no on that, so actually Ash is dead like in Evil Dead 1" to "Actually Ash is time travelling right now" to "Actually Evil Dead 2 happened in this timeline."
 
Kris from Hail To The Deadites has finally shared the major lore-impacting changes from Burn's original test screening to what made it in the final cut.
According to him, the opening recording of Benjamin Price name-dropped Professor Knowby. The final cut line is Benjamin saying that he warned "them" (presumably The Circle of The Wise Men) not to read from the Necronomicon, but the original line was "I warned Professor Knowby not to read from the book." My best guess is that they wanted to set-up The Circle a bit more and not retread Knowby's story since it really doesn't have anything to do with the grander story as of now.

The second major change was in Benjamin's journal. Kris says that the original illustration was not the 2013 book, but rather the Evil Dead 2 Necronomicon and Kandarian Dagger. I initially suspected that this was changed because of the whole "Tom Sullivan losing the rights to his art" ordeal, but then they used the miniature replica of the ED2 Dagger later on no problem, so I really have no idea what may have provoked that change other than maybe they're not really interested in doing anything with that book anymore?

Kris also pointed out that Halloween Horror Nights has a necklace that features the ED2 book design, so he's speculating that they saw the cut he saw and modeled that piece of merch off of that.
ZQAgS6X.jpeg
 
The second major change was in Benjamin's journal. Kris says that the original illustration was not the 2013 book, but rather the Evil Dead 2 Necronomicon and Kandarian Dagger. I initially suspected that this was changed because of the whole "Tom Sullivan losing the rights to his art" ordeal, but then they used the miniature replica of the ED2 Dagger later on no problem, so I really have no idea what may have provoked that change other than maybe they're not really interested in doing anything with that book anymore?
I got the sense that they are now frantically trying to put together a shared universe out of elements that were originally only meant to be easter-eggs and references, but that most of the fans are convinced tie all the movies together. So Burn has characters from Rise, Necronomicon from 2013, and Dagger from ED II, even though non of that makes much sense.
 
The second major change was in Benjamin's journal. Kris says that the original illustration was not the 2013 book, but rather the Evil Dead 2 Necronomicon and Kandarian Dagger. I initially suspected that this was changed because of the whole "Tom Sullivan losing the rights to his art" ordeal, but then they used the miniature replica of the ED2 Dagger later on no problem, so I really have no idea what may have provoked that change other than maybe they're not really interested in doing anything with that book anymore?
Check this out: they literally just cut out the drawing of the 2013 book and pasted it over an image that we get the see in full in the final film.
Original image:
c00Dv7g.jpeg

2013 book stuck on top. The red scribbles/stains in the bottom right match with the original image, so they clearly did this modification to the hero prop or it is a really good CGI overlay:
f2rBDm4.jpeg
 
E99bTD1.jpeg

TBH not a fan of the posters. Here I thought it was going to be all the posters from the official social media (like the "goatse" one as shared here) but these are just... not impressive. I'm also bummed that the book pages are literally just the raw art that Sébastien shared on Instagram (not that he's a bad artist, of course) and not like on aged paper or something to make it look like it was part of a Book of The Dead.
Hi-res art from the mini-posters/artcards by Sophie Bland (Senior Graphic Designer at StudioCanal)
ow8xQTm.jpeg
VITzAxg.jpeg
 
Check this out: they literally just cut out the drawing of the 2013 book and pasted it over an image that we get the see in full in the final film.
Original image:
c00Dv7g.jpeg

2013 book stuck on top. The red scribbles/stains in the bottom right match with the original image, so they clearly did this modification to the hero prop or it is a really good CGI overlay:
f2rBDm4.jpeg
Lord I hope someone got paid from 2013 for that!
 
I got the sense that they are now frantically trying to put together a shared universe out of elements that were originally only meant to be easter-eggs and references, but that most of the fans are convinced tie all the movies together. So Burn has characters from Rise, Necronomicon from 2013, and Dagger from ED II, even though non of that makes much sense.
I wonder how much of this is Studio Dictated. I feel like 90 percent of this is WB wanting to connect everything to Rise because Rise made bank.
 
My 2 cents on EDB:
Evil Dead Burn finally hit streaming over here a couple of days ago, so I watched it ...

My biggest problem is that the movie doesn't seem to take its audience, or even its own rules, seriously. Why does a Deadite need to get hit by a car to pass the evil on? And why are the forbidden words that unleash the evil spoken by the Deadite itself? The evil is already there! What am I missing?

Then there's the Kandarian Dagger scene. Seriously, what was that? We have a Deadite basically testing daggers for our hero: “Wrong one. Try again.” Why would it help someone find the weapon that can kill it? That didn't feel threatening to me at all.

The Deadites themselves also felt very different – not just visually, but in the way they behaved and interacted with their surroundings. I'm all for a new take on Evil Dead, but at some point it still has to feel like Evil Dead.

For me, Burn is easily number six out of the six movies.

Sorry, I'm not French, but this movie isn't evil. It's just dead.
 
Last edited:
Recently saw Evil Dead Burn.

Something noticed was how that long one-shot scene from the teaser-trailer felt different. When watching, it seemed like a different take. But then, comparing the trailer side by side with the same scene in the movie, it was clear it is the same take, just different sound. They added music and the sound effects are likely different. They should have kept it as it was in the teaser-trailer. Music ruins things so much. Having just silence and only brutal/realistic sounds of everything happening is an extremely underrated technique in movies/shows. That teaser-trailer is so damn effective, but then seeing the same scene with crap sound added just eliminates that effectiveness.

I really enjoyed the film, but wonder how much better it would have been if they played it out (sound-wise) more like that teaser-trailer, to where we feel like we're in the house with her, witnessing and HEARING what an abusive home is like. Music can be a huge detriment by taking the viewer out of the moments and creating a sound barrier wall of separation, making it less real and more like a cliched movie, the music making you aware, 'Ah yea, it's just a movie'.
 
Other things:

All this talk of how they originally had Evil Dead 2 Necronomicon and references, only to switch them with 2013's... I can't help but think they wanted to tie things into a possible return for Ash, like how they wanted to do another Army Of Darkness and then another movie where Ash and Mia unite. (To those new here: Bruce did mention, during Rise's promotion, how he's open to coming back if Sam Raimi directed - maybe just pillow talk, but I believe him). But after Bruce's cancer diagnosis, they figured, 'Well, that's definitely not happening. Let's stick to the 2013 only and we could have the possibility of just Jane Levy meeting with survivors of Rise and Burn.' (Just what came to mind when learning about the book-switcheroo).

I like how Alice, when fighting deadites, heavy breathing and full of blood, looks just like Brandy Williams. Felt like I was watching a Brandy solo Evil Dead movie.

The Ellie post-credits feels lame. If Wrath doesn't come out for whatever reason (hey, it's Warner Bros., could be another tax-write-off movie), if Evil Dead Burn is the end of Evil Dead (and it is, for now), THAT's how we end things?
Whose ashes are in that urn? Ellie was put through a wood-chipper grinder thingy. She would just be blood. Did they actually scoop up the bloody puddle and burn it? So it would be Ellie and her two children (Danny & Bridget) united as one bloody puddle that was then burned somehow into ashes? Ellie appearing symbolizes the evil is not done tormenting Beth and Kassie (in my interpretation). It just feels wrong to put it in there because it's not an episode in a season of television, it's a movie, an ending. And there's nothing wrong with a little mystery to leave the audience with, but it felt too gimmicky (Marvel wannabe with same cliche music crescendo).
 
All this talk of how they originally had Evil Dead 2 Necronomicon and references, only to switch them with 2013's... I can't help but think they wanted to tie things into a possible return for Ash, like how they wanted to do another Army Of Darkness and then another movie where Ash and Mia unite. (To those new here: Bruce did mention, during Rise's promotion, how he's open to coming back if Sam Raimi directed - maybe just pillow talk, but I believe him). But after Bruce's cancer diagnosis, they figured, 'Well, that's definitely not happening. Let's stick to the 2013 only and we could have the possibility of just Jane Levy meeting with survivors of Rise and Burn.' (Just what came to mind when learning about the book-switcheroo).
I would imagine that Sam and Rob knew about Bruce long before the public announcement, and knew his firm stance that he was done to begin with. I'm sticking with my theory of, even though they had the full blessing from StudioCanal for it, they're still a little shy with showing the classic book design because they don't want a repeat of the Jason Goes To Hell incident. I suspect that they were comfortable using the dagger because it's slightly different and at a very obvious different scale compared to Tom's original.
 
Top Bottom