Evil Dead remake revisited ..

DyD

Spinach Chin
KingRob said:
I still need to rewatch, but after reading Gut's post I want to say I also felt like it was a little weird that people were only in scenes where it was convenient to the (sorta) plot, rather than where it was logical. But again - need to rewatch.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant.

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Yep. I'll never forget that Fede could go on and on about the Exorcist during the press tour but failed to be able to tell Cheryl and Shelly apart when questioned about them during a set visit.

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Fede Alvarez has recently posted this image of a mask used in his Evil Dead remake ..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUYEbnFBksq/

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
And he also posted a picture of himself, Rob, Bruce and Sam on the film's first test screening day.

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
He also posted some more behind the scenes with the effects and make up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUi49MXh3Td/ (Natalie cutting her arm off)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUgW_oJB3hU/ (Natalie's make up)

And them remaking the cabin before shooting https://www.instagram.com/p/BUVodPTBz_U/?taken-by=iamfedealvarez

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
MaidOfKandar said:
Yep.  I'll never forget that Fede could go on and on about the Exorcist during the press tour but failed to be able to tell Cheryl and Shelly apart when questioned about them during a set visit.

I like the fact that he couldn't give a shit which one was Shelly and which one was Cheryl .. or that he couldn't remember either way .... the last thing we all wanted to watch was an A to B list of actors pretending to be the exact same characters when Fede's remake version was first announced ..  Fede had a guy in a blue shirt who was sort of crap in that he didn't win, exactly like Ash didn't win in the first film .... I like the remake more and more each time I watch it, it's a complete remix of the original that manages to carve its own line and IMO captures the nasty vicious dark mood of the original .. although I will never stop loving the original more.

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
I also enjoying the remake more than before.

The remake have some flaws but It wins over the series in many ways right now. They should had focus the series in a more gruesome atmosphere and seriousness just like this remake. But with Ash and a little bit more of dark humour. This should have been the perfect match. (With white eyes deadites of course.) ;)

Its_Auto

S-Mart Clerk
MaidOfKandar said:
Gut0nez said:
MaidOfKandar said:
The green eye thing was mainly because Fede has a huge thing for the Exorcist.  Seriously, during the remake's press tour I swear he talked about that movie more than the remake itself.

I didn't know that. I can definitely see it, now that you mention it. The deadites in the remake certainly seem to take more inspiration from Regan than from the deadites in the actual Evil Dead series. I understand the design choices better now. I still think they were the wrong design choices and I don't like the results, but at least now I can see where that came from. Even though there's a chance that Regan was the inspiration for the deadites in the original trilogy as well, by the time the remake was made, deadites had already become their own thing. It just feels wrong to deviate so much from that.

And I think that's why these Deadites never worked for me - it feels like a non-Evil Dead-ish possession, very Exorcist-y.

A bit late to the discussion, but here is my take on it;

Those possessed in the remake don't have pale/white eyes as they arent possessed by a Kandarian demon - they are possessed by he who requires 5 souls.

Throughout evil dead history there have been variances depending upon the type of demon. In 'The Evil Dead' and 'Evil Dead 2' they are kandarian demons... in Army of Darkness, we see Kandarian demons, but when the book is removed from the cradle in the graveyard, that is the army of the dead that awakens; thus, Evil Ash and Sheila dont have white eyes. In Ash vs Evil Dead, when Eligos possesses Kelly, she has black eyes.

I think the problem arises as fans have adopted the same 'group name' for these demons as Ash heard them referred to in the medieval period, 'deadites'. At no point do we ever hear the word deadite translated by anyone from the book of the dead - the book uses the word 'demons'. There are various types of demon - and the 2013 movie (i consider it a sequel rather than remake) deals with a different demon than the original movie, accounting for the difference is appearence :) I'd even go as far as saying there are multiple books; the necronomicon ex mortis - the large complete text, and Noturum de montos; smaller bitesized volumes focusing on specific entities; thus accounting for the noturum de monto burned in ED1 (kamdarian volume) the 2013 movie (the abomination volume) and the main Necronomicon from Army of Darkness/ Ash vs Evil Dead... the original script for ED1 says the book was one of six volumes if i recall correctly :)

Just my personal take :-D

shinok

Primitive Screwhead
Its_Auto said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Gut0nez said:
MaidOfKandar said:
The green eye thing was mainly because Fede has a huge thing for the Exorcist.  Seriously, during the remake's press tour I swear he talked about that movie more than the remake itself.

I didn't know that. I can definitely see it, now that you mention it. The deadites in the remake certainly seem to take more inspiration from Regan than from the deadites in the actual Evil Dead series. I understand the design choices better now. I still think they were the wrong design choices and I don't like the results, but at least now I can see where that came from. Even though there's a chance that Regan was the inspiration for the deadites in the original trilogy as well, by the time the remake was made, deadites had already become their own thing. It just feels wrong to deviate so much from that.

And I think that's why these Deadites never worked for me - it feels like a non-Evil Dead-ish possession, very Exorcist-y.

Those possessed in the remake don't have pale/white eyes as they arent possessed by a Kandarian demon - they are possessed by he who requires 5 souls.

Throughout evil dead history there have been variances depending upon the type of demon. In 'The Evil Dead' and 'Evil Dead 2' they are kandarian demons... in Army of Darkness, we see Kandarian demons, but when the book is removed from the cradle in the graveyard, that is the army of the dead that awakens; thus, Evil Ash and Sheila dont have white eyes. In Ash vs Evil Dead, when Eligos possesses Kelly, she has black eyes.

I think the problem arises as fans have adopted the same 'group name' for these demons as Ash heard them referred to in the medieval period, 'deadites'. At no point do we ever hear the word deadite translated by anyone from the book of the dead - the book uses the word 'demons'. There are various types of demon - and the 2013 movie (i consider it a sequel rather than remake) deals with a different demon than the original movie, accounting for the difference is appearence :) I'd even go as far as saying there are multiple books; the necronomicon ex mortis - the large complete text, and Noturum de montos; smaller bitesized volumes focusing on specific entities; thus accounting for the noturum de monto burned in ED1 (kamdarian volume) the 2013 movie (the abomination volume) and the main Necronomicon from Army of Darkness/ Ash vs Evil Dead... the original script for ED1 says the book was one of six volumes if i recall correctly :)

Very nice theory! That would explain a lot! You should send this to the writers/producers of the series :D !

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
Very nice theory indeed! Too bad they didn't put more emphasis on explaining the mythology of demons & deadites. I agree with Shinok, the writers should definitely aware about this.

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
Sutter Cane said:
 Too bad they didn't put more emphasis on explaining the mythology of demons & deadites.  

They might do that in a future sequel

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Its_Auto said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Gut0nez said:
MaidOfKandar said:

I've never thought along those line about the BOTD before .. please post more often !  :cool: (I'm a nerd) 

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
I watched the remake tonight. I typed up a review... Only to lose it because I got redirected to a portal thing from this page.

I can't be bothered typing it again now, as I need to sleep. In brief: with some reservations, I rather enjoyed it. It's not the Evil Dead we all know and love, but as a story about a supernatural book and another bunch of friends in the woods succumbing to an ancient evil, it was okay.

They really went overboard with the self maiming though, eh?

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
SUSPECT liked the remake enough to make this tune that takes samples from it .. reminds me of some of the keyboard work from Argento's DEMONS ..

Panos

S-Mart Clerk
Fede posted a bunch of great behind the scenes pictures for the 5 year anniversary of the movie

7P8PWol.png

PEnNS5v.jpg

DRPMEjL.png

gEYZSKp.jpg

OEoumum.png

rrB3jDH.jpg

sd2ojkX.jpg

VAXKuet.jpg

6a7VcsD.jpg

fCs9Xom.jpg

fhWU4hF.jpg

81ma6ot.png

xG5zpFn.jpg

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Fede posted a bunch of great behind the scenes pictures for the 5 year anniversary of the movie

7P8PWol.png

PEnNS5v.jpg

DRPMEjL.png

gEYZSKp.jpg

OEoumum.png

rrB3jDH.jpg

sd2ojkX.jpg

VAXKuet.jpg

6a7VcsD.jpg

fCs9Xom.jpg

fhWU4hF.jpg

81ma6ot.png

xG5zpFn.jpg
Cool .. thanks for sharing ! .. and now the dust has settled, I still remember it being (and still regard it as) a bloody good and vicious film, completely keeping in spirit with the original's intention :cool:

Last edited:

Mardeadite

Loud Mouth Braggart
Concerning my comment about the spirit going overboard maiming the posessee, having rewatched the original recently I had completely forgotten that scene where the deadite chewed off its own hand ...

Swofty

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Those are some cool pictures, but we all know evil Mia is the best Mia.

And this was shared 8 hours ago.

And to think Mia was nearly played instead by actor Lilly Collins, daughter of Phil Collins of 80's fame who took over the lead singer role for the band 'Genesis' from Peter Gabriel. As I remember it, Lilly had got the job but freaked out over what she was going to have to do in the script somehow .. LOL .. Lilly Allen's a lightweight ..

Top Bottom