- Joined
- Dec 26, 2023
Watched Lee Cronin’s The Mummy last night. Going into it, I mentally tried to push aside the online comments comparing this film to Evil Dead Rise, believing that it would be unfair to compare this film to that one. Well... that didn’t last very long, because about half way into this movie I realized that this really is just a repaint of Evil Dead Rise. It is straight up the same movie almost beat for beat with all Evil Dead elements removed.
This may be the first movie (at least in awhile) where I've cheered for the monster to kill everyone, because the normal people in this are seriously some of the dumbest "protagonists" I've seen. Not dumb in an Ash Williams type way, I mean it takes some SERIOUS suspension of disbelief to think that any sane person (traumatized or not) would ignore the stuff that is going on the moment Katie the living corpse comes back into their lives. The entire family watches as Katie does contortionist act while damn near flying above the bed THE MOMENT SHE GETS HOME and the dad treats it with the same level of severity as someone leaving the cookie jar open.
The dad... oh my god the dad... I really wish the last scene wasn't in the movie, because he absolutely deserved what happened to him just prior to that. You know what? I'm almost wondering if the very last scene was added on after a test screening, because...
The dad has the same expression... even when he's trying to be emotional (angry, sad, confused), he looks the same. I wanted to slap him.
Mom got off easy, despite being the most willfully ignorant of the family. She needed some sort of physical punishment inflicted upon her by the demon by the end of this, and she gets off scot-free. "I can fix her" is an actual line she says between witnessing some of the grossest/strongest wince-inducing things I have ever seen on film.
The only somewhat competent character is Egyptian Lady Cop, but even then there is a major flaw with something she does in the third act.
Going back to Evil Dead Rise, it's worth nothing that actor Mark Mitchinson plays the exposition guy in both Rise and this film (besides playing Mr. Fonda, he was also the voice of Father Littleton on the records). His character is named Professor Bixler, which is what Lee says is the major connection point between Lee Cronin's The Mummy and Evil Dead Rise, making him a distant relative of Beth and Ellie. Speaking of Beth, Lily Sullivan has a blink and you'll miss it cameo, which was easily a highlight. Now that I'm thinking about it, Lily
I don't know what else to say about this movie besides if you've seen Evil Dead Rise, you've seen Lee Cronin's The Mummy. I guess if you REALLY liked Rise but felt it could have used an Egyptian/Tex-Mex aesthetic, then this is the perfect movie for you.
This may be the first movie (at least in awhile) where I've cheered for the monster to kill everyone, because the normal people in this are seriously some of the dumbest "protagonists" I've seen. Not dumb in an Ash Williams type way, I mean it takes some SERIOUS suspension of disbelief to think that any sane person (traumatized or not) would ignore the stuff that is going on the moment Katie the living corpse comes back into their lives. The entire family watches as Katie does contortionist act while damn near flying above the bed THE MOMENT SHE GETS HOME and the dad treats it with the same level of severity as someone leaving the cookie jar open.
The dad... oh my god the dad... I really wish the last scene wasn't in the movie, because he absolutely deserved what happened to him just prior to that. You know what? I'm almost wondering if the very last scene was added on after a test screening, because...
The twist of this American family becoming the new "caretakers" of the demon, starting the cycle of looking for a new host for it all over again, is great.
Mom got off easy, despite being the most willfully ignorant of the family. She needed some sort of physical punishment inflicted upon her by the demon by the end of this, and she gets off scot-free. "I can fix her" is an actual line she says between witnessing some of the grossest/strongest wince-inducing things I have ever seen on film.
The only somewhat competent character is Egyptian Lady Cop, but even then there is a major flaw with something she does in the third act.
What would have happened if she flew all the way to the US and the family didn’t have a functioning VHS player? She didn't tell them that she was coming over (maybe she did, I don't remember), so what the hell would happen if they were like "It's 2026, who has a VHS player hooked up and ready to go right now?"
Speaking of VHS tapes... if Katie was taken in the mid-2010s, why didn’t Magician Egyptian Mom film her very important instructional video with a digital camera? The message is for someone 60 to 70 years in the future… did she think that a VHS would last buried in the sand for all those years? Why not shoot it on digital and put the file on a USB stick? There’s a much higher chance of someone having the ability to play a flash drive in the far future than they would a VHS tape!
Speaking of VHS tapes... if Katie was taken in the mid-2010s, why didn’t Magician Egyptian Mom film her very important instructional video with a digital camera? The message is for someone 60 to 70 years in the future… did she think that a VHS would last buried in the sand for all those years? Why not shoot it on digital and put the file on a USB stick? There’s a much higher chance of someone having the ability to play a flash drive in the far future than they would a VHS tape!
Going back to Evil Dead Rise, it's worth nothing that actor Mark Mitchinson plays the exposition guy in both Rise and this film (besides playing Mr. Fonda, he was also the voice of Father Littleton on the records). His character is named Professor Bixler, which is what Lee says is the major connection point between Lee Cronin's The Mummy and Evil Dead Rise, making him a distant relative of Beth and Ellie. Speaking of Beth, Lily Sullivan has a blink and you'll miss it cameo, which was easily a highlight. Now that I'm thinking about it, Lily
gets called a "C-word that rhymes with punt" in Lee Cronin's The Mummy and Evil Dead Rise. Is that going to be a thing in all her Lee Cronin-directed appearances?
I don't know what else to say about this movie besides if you've seen Evil Dead Rise, you've seen Lee Cronin's The Mummy. I guess if you REALLY liked Rise but felt it could have used an Egyptian/Tex-Mex aesthetic, then this is the perfect movie for you.