[Official Thread] The Evil Dead Remake - Mark your spoilers!

Names_Ash_Housewares link said:
None of those are in the theatrical release, also the Mia "cut it!" Scene is different.

that sucks, i was wating to see the david chainsaw scene... ohwell,. i know the cut it part is different, shes actaully saying "dont cut it off"
 
Finally got to go see the new Evil Dead last night.

I really liked the movie and thought that it had better SFX and production value then the original.

But my main compliant was that the deadites were too easy to kill.  In the original they had to be literally chopped up with an axe or chainsaw...the only one remotely close to that was the one at the end.

They were more like zombies then anything...and that's why I liked the origianl deadites more...they were much tougher to kill...haha.
 
Another 6 out of 10 from me ..

*********************SPOILERS*****************

Some good seat squirming moments .. unfortunately one of the less good being one of the six people in the cinema that I had to be verbally restrained from asking to shut up .. the dog was pointless in the story and the budget would have gone further elsewhere .. Lou Taylor Pucci carried the movie .. the nail gun scene made us laugh out loud in all the good ways .. also enjoyed the verbal in jokes and the audio in joke nods  .. David was definitely ED1's Ash in this story's arc .... Jane Levy was good, no more and no less .. the final gory scene got a "No Way!" from the heart out of me :)  the location setting felt very visually cramped and looked too much like a set (throughout the whole movie .. no isolating Raimi style long shots at the cabin here) compared to the original and the suprise ending was a let down ..  less a suprise tease than one word spoken. Not to dump too hard on this movie because I think it needs repeat viewings and I'll be picking the DVD up.

edit: Dumping on it a bit more, Mia's possesed cellar chat was just a remix/rip off of the nastiest verbals from the Exorcist ... and so was the make-up.
 
I went in with low expectations, an open mind, and a good buddy who I grew up watching ED with. We had a blast from beginning to end. We cheered, we cringed, we nearly lost our lunch.

I don’t see this as a remake, but rather, an addition to the series, and a worthy one at that. Yes, it’s not like ED, ED2, or AoD, but then again, none of those films are like one another to begin with. This is the third trip to the cabin for ED, and I’m glad it was a different experience yet again.

The film was an enjoyable visual experience, I loved the desaturated palatte. The blood really seemed to pop so I wonder if they kept it at full saturation? The sound design was phenominal with so much depth. I thought it was great that they removed the tape recorder and instead found a way to have a character read the passages aloud, and then bringing down the most torment on that character. Eric took one helluva beating for reading that book!

Performances are a mixed bag. Jane Levy’s Mia stands out, while Shiloh Fernandez’s David was a bitter dissapointment. Lou Taylor Pucci’s Eric was exactly what he’s supposed to be, a douchey know-it-all who pays for his arrogance, in spades. The others were just standard Deadite fodder.

Let’s not forget the cornucopia of practical effects. Yes, there was some CG used to clean up some of the effects, or for effects shots you just can’t do practically like setting someone on fire, but I appreciated the hell out of every real word effect they crammed into this movie. Hopefully this will inspire Sam & Co to go practical whenever possible and stop using crappy CG in films like Drag Me To Hell.

I appreciated it for what it was. A low budget film, by a first time director, and a remake/sequel to a cult classic. Consider that this was Fede’s first feature film and then consider that ED was Sam’s. Now look at Sam today. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty darn excited to see Fede’s film career develop over time. If this was his first film, what will his tenth film look like??
 
Swofty link said:
[quote author=eViL DeAdiTe link=topic=835.msg7248#msg7248 date=1366650089] If this was his first film, what will his tenth film look like??

Probably something like this? (  :wink  :bigsmile ) :

How "The Evil Dead" should have ended
[/quote]

Should have spoiler tags swofty if you are going to share the ending of the remake  :wink haha
 
eViL DeAdiTe link said:
I went in with low expectations, an open mind, and a good buddy who I grew up watching ED with. We had a blast from beginning to end. We cheered, we cringed, we nearly lost our lunch.

I don’t see this as a remake, but rather, an addition to the series, and a worthy one at that. Yes, it’s not like ED, ED2, or AoD, but then again, none of those films are like one another to begin with. This is the third trip to the cabin for ED, and I’m glad it was a different experience yet again.

The film was an enjoyable visual experience, I loved the desaturated palatte. The blood really seemed to pop so I wonder if they kept it at full saturation? The sound design was phenominal with so much depth. I thought it was great that they removed the tape recorder and instead found a way to have a character read the passages aloud, and then bringing down the most torment on that character. Eric took one helluva beating for reading that book!

Performances are a mixed bag. Jane Levy’s Mia stands out, while Shiloh Fernandez’s David was a bitter dissapointment. Lou Taylor Pucci’s Eric was exactly what he’s supposed to be, a douchey know-it-all who pays for his arrogance, in spades. The others were just standard Deadite fodder.

Let’s not forget the cornucopia of practical effects. Yes, there was some CG used to clean up some of the effects, or for effects shots you just can’t do practically like setting someone on fire, but I appreciated the hell out of every real word effect they crammed into this movie. Hopefully this will inspire Sam & Co to go practical whenever possible and stop using crappy CG in films like Drag Me To Hell.

I appreciated it for what it was. A low budget film, by a first time director, and a remake/sequel to a cult classic. Consider that this was Fede’s first feature film and then consider that ED was Sam’s. Now look at Sam today. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty darn excited to see Fede’s film career develop over time. If this was his first film, what will his tenth film look like??


Unfortunately. A lot of people seem like they are not able to get past the original trilogy, and are panning this movie for that reason alone which is sad. It was very good. You can certainly tell Fede had never written a full length script, but that is not a swipe at him... Sam hadn't either. We see what happened with Mr. Raimi, and only time will tell with Mr. Alvarez.

We can all agree that Jane Levy has one hell of a career ahead of her. I once thought Lou Taylor Pucci's last name was pronounced pussy, but Shilo Fernandez as David was the biggest one, Jessica Lucas we hardly got to know, and Elizabeth Blackmore makes one hell of a deadite.


Swofty Yakety Sax... really?!?
 
Even if the original trilogy didnt exist, and it was a new film, I still wouldnt have been impressed with the generic horror look the deadites have in the new film, they are just like Regan in The Exorcist (even similar lines of diologue are spoken).

I gave it a 6 soley based on the use of practical fx in the movie, which was great to see.
 
Nick el Ass link said:
[quote author=eViL DeAdiTe link=topic=835.msg7248#msg7248 date=1366650089]
I went in with low expectations, an open mind, and a good buddy who I grew up watching ED with. We had a blast from beginning to end. We cheered, we cringed, we nearly lost our lunch.

I don’t see this as a remake, but rather, an addition to the series, and a worthy one at that. Yes, it’s not like ED, ED2, or AoD, but then again, none of those films are like one another to begin with. This is the third trip to the cabin for ED, and I’m glad it was a different experience yet again.

The film was an enjoyable visual experience, I loved the desaturated palatte. The blood really seemed to pop so I wonder if they kept it at full saturation? The sound design was phenominal with so much depth. I thought it was great that they removed the tape recorder and instead found a way to have a character read the passages aloud, and then bringing down the most torment on that character. Eric took one helluva beating for reading that book!

Performances are a mixed bag. Jane Levy’s Mia stands out, while Shiloh Fernandez’s David was a bitter dissapointment. Lou Taylor Pucci’s Eric was exactly what he’s supposed to be, a douchey know-it-all who pays for his arrogance, in spades. The others were just standard Deadite fodder.

Let’s not forget the cornucopia of practical effects. Yes, there was some CG used to clean up some of the effects, or for effects shots you just can’t do practically like setting someone on fire, but I appreciated the hell out of every real word effect they crammed into this movie. Hopefully this will inspire Sam & Co to go practical whenever possible and stop using crappy CG in films like Drag Me To Hell.

I appreciated it for what it was. A low budget film, by a first time director, and a remake/sequel to a cult classic. Consider that this was Fede’s first feature film and then consider that ED was Sam’s. Now look at Sam today. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty darn excited to see Fede’s film career develop over time. If this was his first film, what will his tenth film look like??


Unfortunately. A lot of people seem like they are not able to get past the original trilogy, and are panning this movie for that reason alone which is sad. It was very good. You can certainly tell Fede had never written a full length script, but that is not a swipe at him... Sam hadn't either. We see what happened with Mr. Raimi, and only time will tell with Mr. Alvarez.

We can all agree that Jane Levy has one hell of a career ahead of her. I once thought Lou Taylor Pucci's last name was pronounced pussy, but Shilo Fernandez as David was the biggest one, Jessica Lucas we hardly got to know, and Elizabeth Blackmore makes one hell of a deadite.


Swofty Yakety Sax... really?!?
[/quote]

You people dare liking the new movie?!?!?!  :saddevil  :laughing

:thumbup
 
I'm hoping fans of the remake are right and I've just had a knee jerk reaction because it's different .. a bit too moody for me (and I liked ED1 the best out the three partly because it had the least comedy in it) ... I suppose taking your friend to detox doesn't allow for many light hearted moments and that could be the problem .. we didn't get to see these guys relax before they were brutalised. A juxtaposition would have made the violent scenes more effective ...  but I'm looking forward to watching it again. There's also a slim possibility/suggestion a VHS cassette release version might appear ...

(Yakety Sax? .... never knew it had an actual name!  :bigsmile)
 
Hopefully the blu-ray release is the NC17 cut, would like to see the scene with David and the chainsaw to see how far they pushed the practical work.
 
Sheri Moon Zombie on the cover is puting me off, Rob needs to stop using her in his films, either that or just stop directing haha
 
As of yesterday, the film has grossed just over $62 million. Not a huge box office haul, but it's definitely turned a tidy profit on top of it's $17 million production budget. I'm sure it will continue to do well on DVD & Bluray.

So, do you think Army of Darkness II will do as well? Better?
 
I think it might do better just because Bruce Campbell will be in it and Sam Raimi will be directing.... Also do you guys think Army of Darkness II will continue from the original or alternate ending?
 
$62 million is a respectable number... If and/or when they make an Army of Darkness II it will undoubtedly pull in even more do to the simple fact that Bruce Campbell+Sam Raimi= pure awesomeness. The stories alone that would come out while making it would be worth pure gold.
 
Nick el Ass link said:
$62 million is a respectable number... If and/or when they make an Army of Darkness II it will undoubtedly pull in even more do to the simple fact that Bruce Campbell+Sam Raimi= pure awesomeness. The stories alone that would come out while making it would be worth pure gold.

Just playing devil's advocate here but anyone remember Indiana Jones 4? .............. :mad .. George Lucas & Harrison Ford are making a new Indy movie! .. what could go wrong! .. When it comes to heroes coming out of screen retirement for one last kick ass session, I'd want my part 4 Ash to be a cold hearted bastard, a natural character progression arc .. sort of like Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven. Older yes, weary true but he can still own everyone when he has to in future decayed Apocalypse London:

Great movie moments - Unforgiven 1992

I'd like to see and ending where we discover it was Ash and not 'The Dark Ones' that made the Book of the Dead ... Ash sent it back from the future into the past .... the cover stiched together from the faces of his enemys after an uneasy alliance with the Deadites.
 
Sorry Nick el Ass ... just tried to reply to your last post but wiped it by accident ..... you wrote that you rate anything Raimi and Co. have made over George Lucas. He's certainly been in crap form in recent years but lets not forget the mighty Raiders of the Lost Ark ..... I'll probably get lynched for saying this but I prefer Raiders over AOD ... sorry guys!  :) 
 
Top Bottom