Officially licensed Evil Dead 2 Roleplaying Game Kickstarter!

So there's no plan for a regular retail release?
My ignorance of the process is a major factor here; we're well past the stage where I know anything concrete about the ins and outs of the actual business of the book.

Chalk it up to overdramatic promotion.
 
My ignorance of the process is a major factor here; we're well past the stage where I know anything concrete about the ins and outs of the actual business of the book.

Chalk it up to overdramatic promotion.
Gotcha. Do you know anything about the AOD Board Game? Here I thought it was manufactured and shipped and ready to go, and now Dynamite has pushed it back (AGAIN) to August.
 
Gotcha. Do you know anything about the AOD Board Game? Here I thought it was manufactured and shipped and ready to go, and now Dynamite has pushed it back (AGAIN) to August.
That I have zero knowledge of. I'm waiting for it to show up in the local store and it hasn't yet. People have actually recieved it, though?

That whole thing is super perplexing. It's gotta be some kind of record for longest time between design and release.
 
I sadly have nothing really to add to what's going on. I WISH I could post this news story and talk about why I find it interesting, but I'm not sure I can do that either at this point. Licensing is complicated!

 
I sadly have nothing really to add to what's going on.
The silence on the whole thing is a tad bit infuriating. Some people in the comments are saying "I got an e-mail response about it", but even a mass single paragraph update post going out just to say "we're looking into it" would be nice.
I WISH I could post this news story and talk about why I find it interesting, but I'm not sure I can do that either at this point.
Let see if we can piece it together: we got bees... we got a cemetery... bees make hives... bees are making a hive in a cemetery... dead people are in a cemetery... dead people turn into Deadites... Deadites have a hive mind... Deadite bees are building a hive in a cemetery... Deadite bees make evil honey... someone taking the evil-infused honey and sending it out and turning people into Deadites with honey!
 
The silence on the whole thing is a tad bit infuriating. Some people in the comments are saying "I got an e-mail response about it", but even a mass single paragraph update post going out just to say "we're looking into it" would be nice.

Apparently the Backerkit system is much more complicated than anticipated, although that's all I've heard. I'm not a "collaborator" officially so I'm not privy to any of that back-end info.
Let see if we can piece it together: we got bees... we got a cemetery... bees make hives... bees are making a hive in a cemetery... dead people are in a cemetery... dead people turn into Deadites... Deadites have a hive mind... Deadite bees are building a hive in a cemetery... Deadite bees make evil honey... someone taking the evil-infused honey and sending it out and turning people into Deadites with honey!
Nothing quite hits the bullseye but these are hewing awfully close in a couple of key points.

I am desperately impatient to get this book to its next phase and out into the world!
 
Last edited:
I feel like because there's a posted event at Gencon about it, that the book I'm currently working on can be talked about maybe, a bit, ever so slightly: A new Army of Darkness licensed rpg book, powered by the Mork Borg rules. It'll be a trip, man.
 
I feel like because there's a posted event at Gencon about it, that the book I'm currently working on can be talked about maybe, a bit, ever so slightly: A new Army of Darkness licensed rpg book, powered by the Mork Borg rules. It'll be a trip, man.
Any new info on what's happening with the ED2 Backerkit?
 
I wish I could help, there or here, but that's well outta my hands.
I getcha. It just stings that we're so close to the finish line after waiting so long for this and all of the sudden there's a fumble and no communication.
 
Update #20: Back from the dead?

Hey Deadites!​

Thanks for being patient. We think we got the Pledge Manager sorted. It took many days and many tickets to figure out what happened.

Concerning the price change.​

Inititally - when we built the campaign, Kickstarter recommended we do a late pledge price as an incentive for others to buy in during the campaign. It's all some sort of incentive psychology. We deifnately shouldn't have followed that!

One price rules them all!​

The problem was, Backerkit has many differnt categories to update prices and the late pledge was replacing the actual pledge in pricing. Therefore, we had to adjust that. You should see that reflected in your manager.

Shipping​

There was a wieght discrepency on the items which caused pledge numbers to skyrocket. Those numbers have also been adjusted to reflect the actual weights instead of a miscaluation between imperial and metric.

Thank you​

We want to thank many of you who have been respectful and kind in emails as we've worked through each and every ticket. Several of you have ended with thumbs up and thanks! Commincation was key and we did it with respect.

Not everyone did, however, and we just want to say; We understand you. We get it, but please don't devolve into slings and arrows. A kind comment and a legitimate question against the cause is respected as long as those inquiries come with decency and not blame or hate.

Most of you have come full circle on this and we're glad to say you should be very happy with the product.

Approvals​

On to approvals. We are STILL in approvals. Please be patient. The moment this is complete, the moment we get to go to print. The licensor is respected and they are doing what's best for the license. They are not holding this up because they can. It's due diligence.

Thanks deadites!

(next update I'll have a little surprise thank you for the constant delays. Just a thank you item).
Holy hell they're still waiting on licensing approvals?!?
 
I'm not sure when the official update is coming. I don't have access to the Kickstartet backend stuff, so I can't do much there, but suffice it to say, the text for the book is 100% approved, which is fantastic news for me, personally. Layout has been progressing steadily, with solid internal deadlines for delivery being set and (hopefully) adhered to. A new layout person has even been brought aboard to help push this through.

So its all very good news!
 
Last edited:
Update #21: Approvals and Layout Update
Hello everyone,

First and foremost, we'd like to sincerely apologize for the repeated delays. We know this project has taken much longer than anyone expected, and we understand how frustrating it is to keep hearing that progress has been slower than anticipated. We appreciate your patience more than we can adequately express.

The approvals process has been more extensive than we had originally anticipated, but we believe we are nearing the end.

We wanted to take a moment to explain what has been happening behind the scenes and, more importantly, what we're doing to move things forward.

One of the biggest obstacles throughout this project has been layout. While much of the writing, editing, and design work had continued moving forward, the layout process became a significant bottleneck that has impacted nearly every stage of production.

To address this, we've been expanding our layout capabilities and investing time internally to better distribute the workload and ensure that this process is no longer dependent on a single individual. Unfortunately, this effort has coincided with the additional unexpected challenge of our layout designer transitioning out of the company. As you might imagine, this has created additional delays while we've worked to reorganize responsibilities and establish a more sustainable workflow.

We know that explaining these challenges doesn't make the delays any less frustrating, but we want you to know that we haven't been standing still. We're actively addressing the issues that have caused these bottlenecks, and we're finally reaching a point where that work is beginning to show results.

We hope this update helps alleviate some of the understandable concerns surrounding the project's progress. Please know that no one is more frustrated by these repeated snags than we are. Every unexpected obstacle has delayed not only the project itself but also our ability to deliver something we're proud of.

Thank you again for sticking with us through this process. We know your patience has been tested, and we don't take your continued support for granted. Every member of the team wants to see this project across the finish line and, most importantly, deliver something that we're proud to put in your hands.

Thank you for bearing with us, and we'll have more to share as soon as we can.
 
Update #22: Layout and Future Updates
Hello,

We have some good news and some bad news for this update.

The Bad News
The bad news is that the book still isn't ready.

We've now gone through five different layout designers on this project. The first abandoned the project, the next two were ultimately unable to find enough time to dedicate to it, and the last two were paid up front but never delivered any work and eventually cut off all communication.

At this point, we're beginning to think this project may actually be cursed.

The Good News
The good news is that we believe the layout bottleneck has finally been resolved.

Our latest layout designer comes highly recommended by a trusted colleague, and, most importantly, will be providing us with an update every Friday going forward until the book is complete. This gives us a much clearer line of sight on the remaining work and allows us to keep you informed as the layout progresses.

The moment the layout is finished, we'll send the book off for approvals. Assuming that process goes smoothly, we'll then be able to get the PDFs out to you as quickly as possible.

Regarding Munchkin 5.5e
We understand that some of you have had concerns about our announcement of Munchkin 5.5e while Evil Dead 2 remains undelivered. Those concerns are completely understandable, so we want to clarify that the two projects are in different production pipelines.

Our writers and designers have completed their work on Evil Dead 2. At this point, the only remaining major step is layout, which is being handled independently of the writing and design work.

Meanwhile, Munchkin 5.5e is still in the very early stages of development, with its writers and designers only now beginning their work. The development of Munchkin 5.5e is therefore not taking resources away from the remaining layout work on Evil Dead 2.

The Light at the End of the Tunnel
We know this has been a frustrating and difficult wait, and believe us when we say it has been frustrating and difficult for us as well. We've invested a great deal of time and effort into getting this project across the finish line, and we're hopeful that we've finally overcome the biggest obstacle standing in its way.

Stay tuned this Friday for our next update, and every Friday thereafter as we keep you abreast of the layout's progress and work toward finally bringing this book to a close.

Thank you again for your patience and continued support.
Hmmm... some people were paid upfront to work on an Evil Dead 2 project and then took the money and ran... that sounds... vaguely familiar...
 
I'm very very ready for this project to be firmly into its final stages. It's been pending out therr long enough that I looked at it the other day and read stuff I genuinely forgot I'd written.

But it's gonna be worth the wait! I hope. I really, really hope.
 
Top Bottom