My aunt used to tape movies off of cable, and I remember watching the Henrietta fight scene from ED2 when I was a kid. Some time later, sophmore year of HS, I walk in to a Best Buy and find a hard plastic case VHS version of Evil Dead 2. A wave of nostalgia hits me and I grab it. I watch it and obviously fall in love with it, with repeat viewings on a weekly basis.
At some point, my aunt moves from Chicago to Wisconsin and I go visit (remote cabin in the woods type of place, haha). We drive in to town and stop at a gas station where they rent VHS, I grab Army of Darkness! Watch it, love it, yadda yadda...
It wasn't until I bought my own VHS copy that I realized that the one I rented was different. Eventually DVD's become mainstream and they release alt scenes of AoD, where I finally get to see what I saw on that first rented version. The alt take of the miniature ashes was there, along with a different scene of him standing at the door. The exact details are a bit cloudy, but I clearly remember feeling ripped off when I bought my first VHS version of AoD, because things were different, it gave me a horrible feeling, like the fear of missing out. Like somewhere out there there's more of this movie that I can't see. But we're also talking mid 90's, and at that point alternate versions of movies was, to me, something crazy. The internet was still fairly inaccessible, there was no Wikipedia or IMDB, we had to walk uphill, both ways, to download a
porn movie, etc.
I'd still give anything to find that VHS version of AoD I rented, but I'm sure even that gas station has moved on to DVD by now, or given up all together on renting movies.
EDIT: Forgot about Evil Dead 1!
I saw ED1 last, tho when I saw it I remembered the car tire/bridge scene from cable channel surfing. I bought it on VHS at a music store (that sentence is so dating!). I liked it, and still enjoy it, but generally the only time I watch it is when I marathon the trilogy. It's got some great scenes, and that makeup, oh, that makeup, but in my opinion it just doesn't hold a candle to ED2.
As for the remake/reboot/whathaveyou, I was pumped to see it, got to it on opening day and hated it. Maybe I had just built it up in my head too much. BUT, i grabbed it on bluray anyway, and after subsequent viewings, I have come to love it. But, to be fair, I watch all my blurays on a 10 foot projection screen at full HD with surround sound, so that does help enhance movies a bit! But seriously, right to the blaring end, it really did find a place in my heart, and I love making other people watch it, as it's usually followed by me saying "You liked that? Check this out..." and on comes the trilogy, haha.
EDIT2: All this thinking about the version of AoD I rented has got me searching, and this is what I remember:
Another scene explains the mirror thing a little better, as Ash leaves the windmill to walk through an ominous forest, accidentally knocking into his horse. Saying "You big piece of hamburger, c'mere," he ties the horse down until seeing a duplicate of himself in the windmill's doorway, which then slams shut. He runs back into the windmill and smashes headfirst into a mirror.