Yet another Evil Dead Blu-ray on May 20th

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Joined
Jun 11, 2015
Location
NYC
Anyone have any information on this upcoming Starz/Anchorbay release?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Evil-Dead-Blu-ray/97673/
 
Seriously? Ugh, what the hell. Probably a generic re-release because of the remake I suppose?
 
Wait, I thought Sony owned the rights to the remake?
 
I read a blu ray forum this morning that talked about the Starz/Anchor Bay Evil Dead 2 release .. and the reviewers weren't pleased. They talked about a muddy looking transfer, other fans stuck up for this more recent release putting down any visual problems down to the format ED2 was originally filmed in .. I'm not holding my breath for this Starz/Anchor Bay ED1 .. 
 
No I mean that they are trying to cash in on the original by re-releasing it after the remake is out. Starz/Anchor Bay doesn't need the rights to the remake to do that!

The original blu-ray for The Evil Dead from Anchor Bay is actually really good Christian. You are right about the ED 2 BD being terrible though.
 
I haven't watched either to be honest ... I pretty much only watch SeeNoEvil's BOTD edit now.
 
And they just did a new remaster with new commentary two years ago  :um.  Remember when Bruce said they only re-release it for anniversaries or when there are new formats?  :wink

I'm guessing it's going to be a port of the same master with new or compiled extras.  Surprised they're not re-releasing it for Halloween, which is the usual modus operandi when they port
 
The artwork has been released and now you can pre-order it on Amazon. Already pre-ordered mine.
 
And intriguingly enough, it's the same cover art as the Ultimate edition, complete with poster-like creases.  I wonder if it'll be a direct port.
 
These sorts of re-releases are pretty common these days. Companies take existing discs and slap them into steelbooks. I'll eat my hat if this is anything more than new packaging for the same single disc blu-ray that's been out for a while. Doesn't mean I won't buy it though. I'm a completionist, a steelbook fanatic, and a sucker, so they had my money from the start.
 
Top Bottom