Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

I hate to be a downer but still .. what's next? .. Ash and Howard The Duck Vs Skeletor?. Ash and Barbie fight Decepticon?. It's all getting a bit silly for me now but if other people are enjoying it then good luck to them.

I'm trying to remember the first crossover published out of all of these. Was it Army of Darkness V Re-Animator about 25 years ago?. I've still got some of those trade advertisement brochures.
 
Last edited:
Yes. This month is actually the 20th anniversary of the release of AOD vs Re-Animator #4.
I grabbed some free trade mags/broad sheets with an Ash art cover and content about this from Nostalgia & Comics, Birmingham when they were were first announcing this cross over was going to happen a few years before that. If anyone want's to buy them cheap from me, send me a pm. They've got to be rare but I don't want much for them, I'd prefer someone here who's hardcore into Evil Dead comic collecting gets them.

The trade mag was called CSN (Comic Scene News) , I've got three of them and they're promoting the release of the first issue. Evil Dead comic book history.

aCSN001.jpg
 
Last edited:
I grabbed some free trade mags/broad sheets with an Ash art cover and content about this from Nostalgia & Comics, Birmingham when they were were first announcing this cross over was going to happen a few years before that. If anyone want's to buy them cheap from me, send me a pm. They've got to be rare but I don't want much for them, I'd prefer someone here who's hardcore into Evil Dead comic collecting gets them.

The trade mag was called CSN (Comic Scene News) , I've got three of them and they're promoting the release of the first issue. Evil Dead comic book history.

View attachment 466
Neat! Is it a full-blown article or just a one page blurb like Comic Shop News does?
 
I'm still on board for this crossover - if only because it's more of what I love, heh.
 
AODComics (the social media personality formerly known as AODandEDComix) will be doing a livestream interview with ERIK BURNHAM (writer of AOD VERSUS REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING and the upcoming ARCHIE X AOD) on January 18th!
 
Preview pages for ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #1 have been released! Splatstick humor, faithful Archie style, decent Bruce likeness... I'm digging it already!
ARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-7.jpgARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-8.jpgARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-9.jpgARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-10.jpgARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-11.jpgARCHIE-X-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS-1-12.jpg
 
Nice. I’m glad they kept the Archie style! I always found the art panels in previous AOD crossover comics pretty bad.
 
Online exclusive variant cover for Archie X Army of Darkness #1 by Jason Turner. Turner has previously done covers for the Archie books Archie meets Jay & Silent Bob, Archie Comics: Judgement Day, and the Sabrina The Teenage Witch Annual Spectacular, but this will be his first cover for Dynamite.
pHCx1pV.jpeg
 
AODComics (the social media personality formerly known as AODandEDComix) will be doing a livestream interview with ERIK BURNHAM (writer of AOD VERSUS REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING and the upcoming ARCHIE X AOD) on January 18th!
Key takeaways from the interview:
* It was a request from Dynamite that Necronomicon Rising be stand-alone and not connected to the previous AOD/Reanimator crossovers.
* Erik had only two days to cobble together a pitch for Necronomicon Rising, which didn't really give him enough time to revisit the respective franchises (though he was a fan of both)
* Erik intentionally messed with Evil Ash's design (reverting him back to his post-windmill scene appearance instead of being a burnt skeleton) because he thought the visual of finding a severed rotting head was much cooler.
* In regards to rules of playing with their version of Reanimator, Dynamite only corrected Erik when it came to the color of the reanimation formula (his script saying green, but Dynamite changing it to yellow). Erik was actually in the right, but due to Dynamite's lawsuit with the Re-Animator movie production company several years ago they have to change it to yellow.
* Erik was originally writing Archie X Army of Darkness with the assumption that it would be a "PG" rated comic, only for the Archie people to come back and tell him to not be afraid to make it more gory and "R" rated.
* Erik changed the script for an issue after seeing Bill Galvan's cover for the first Archie X AOD issue. Apparently there was only going to be a short moment with the Riverdale gang as Deadites, but the cover inspired him to prolong the scene.
 
Press release for Archie x Army of Darkness #3, in stores April 8th, 2026!
7FLrQVi.jpeg
sjokj6O.jpeg
BAbu7Va.jpeg
QLKqZFu.jpeg
GzGArnh.jpeg
5Uc8nf4.jpeg
ZQGwwhn.jpeg
xHOigKi.jpeg
dZfY21q.jpeg
i9zctbe.jpeg

DO YOU WANT THE BAD NEWS, OR THE WORSE NEWS? The bad news is that Archie Andrews has accidentally summoned the Army of Darkness to the peaceful streets of Riverdale — and that’s pretty bad news! But the good news is that when Archie read the cursed passage in question from the pages of the Necronomicon Ex Mortis, he didn’t properly complete the incantation — which means there’s still a chance to banish the Deadites back to the infernal realms. Unfortunately, it also means that if the Deadites can get hold of Archie and force him to read the incantation properly, they’ll be unstoppable. But in order to do that, they’ll first have to get past a certain one-handed hero — and he’s feeling lucky! Intrepid investigators ERIK BURNHAM and BILL GALVAN run down the story of the century in Archie X Army of Darkness #3 — featuring supporting coverage from GALVAN, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, LAURA BRAGA, CRAIG CERMAK, and STUART SAYGER!
 
I wish they would stop using that "Klaatu Barada Nikto" quote from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Army of Darkness changed the quote for "Klaatu Verata Nikto".
If you want to get even more specific, the actual spelling in the AOD script is "Clatto Verata Nicto", which they actually got right for that Army of Darkness Defense mobile game. But even then, isn't the whole joke that they keep saying the words wrong?
 
If you want to get even more specific, the actual spelling in the AOD script is "Clatto Verata Nicto", which they actually got right for that Army of Darkness Defense mobile game. But even then, isn't the whole joke that they keep saying the words wrong?
Nice, I have the script saved in my files, but I was not remembering the exact spelling. Very impressive for the mobile game to get this right!
 
The estate of comic artist Dave Simons is auctioning off some of his original artwork for the Inkwell Awards (which is an award ceremony for comic book artists). Among the collection is the entirety of Dave's original artwork for one of his last comics: 2008's ARMY OF DARKNESS: ASH'S CHRISTMAS HORROR one-shot, with the starting ebay bid at $4,200. Included in this collection is a scrapped pin-up or variant cover for the issue.
Apparently there's another AOD piece from Dave Simons' estate... the complete original artwork for the single-issue story Montezuma's Revenge! It's neat seeing all the little notes and requests on the page edges, as well as the completely random nude woman he drew on the back of page 22!
 
Top Bottom