Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

Any news on the next unlikely Army of Darkness crossover series?
 
Any news on the next unlikely Army of Darkness crossover series?
We're due for a regular AOD series since we've had two crossovers back to back. It seems like Dynamite is wanting to revive their Altered States line again and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a AOD installment in the near future (as a one-shot or a mini).
 
Archie x Army of Darkness artist Bill Galvan has shared some homages he put in the first two issues of the series, including a Scooby-Doo reference, an homage to the poster for House, and the infamous "Batman slaps Robin" meme. I asked him if the House homage was an intentional nod to the Evil Dead and House movies being marketed together in Italy as the unofficial La Casa franchise, but he said "I had no idea but that works - I just like the House poster!"
SnapInsta.to_656409944_18571303201026254_3021722702281388168_n.jpgSnapInsta.to_656869578_18571303213026254_3984851512275791674_n.jpgSnapInsta.to_655751889_18571303225026254_6528326311721151912_n.jpg
 
Here are the mystery blind bag covers for issue #5:

ArchieXAOD05XXHAESER.jpg
ArchieXAOD05XXHAESERBW.jpg
ArchieXAOD05XXHAESERVIRG.jpg
ArchieXAOD05XXHAESERBWVIRG.jpg
ArchieXAOD05XXGALVANBLUE.jpg
ArchieXAOD05XXGALVANBLUEVIRG.jpg
 
Last edited:
Surprise cover drop for Archie x Army of Darkness #3. It's a Sequential Art Comics exclusive, limited to 250 trade dress and 250 virgin editions.
jH9Ceck.jpeg
TK6xMdb.jpeg
 
ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #3 is out today! Here is one of my favorite gags of the issue (although there's a lot more jokes that are equally as good!)
evil-ash-archie.jpg
 
I'm getting so much enjoyment out of this series; it's the right kind of silly and gory mashed into one pie.
 
OK, I love that first cover.
 
I've asked this before, I think, but I forget the answer. I'm going to need to review all the Dynamite comics I can get my eyes on anyways, but which storylines would you say I NEED to read, if I had to pick only... say, three or four?

Again, sorry if I already asked this. I'm gonna write the answer down somewhere so's I don't forget again.
 
I've asked this before, I think, but I forget the answer. I'm going to need to review all the Dynamite comics I can get my eyes on anyways, but which storylines would you say I NEED to read, if I had to pick only... say, three or four?
The ones I always suggest to new readers are:
* The Dark Horse Army of Darkness Movie Adaptation
* The Ash and The Army of Darkness saga (Ash and The Army of Darkness, Army of Darkness: Ash Gets Hitched, Army of Darkness #1992.1, and Army of Darkness: Ash In Space). If you don't want to read all those, then at least read Ash and The Army of Darkness and Ash Gets Hitched.
* Army of Darkness Forever
 
Is the movie adaption a good read just 'cause, or does it add/expand anything that I wouldn't have gotten from the movie itself?
 
Is the movie adaption a good read just 'cause, or does it add/expand anything that I wouldn't have gotten from the movie itself?
Beautiful hand-painted art, and it was written by Sam and Ivan Raimi. It seriously cuts back on the comedy and eliminates the gags, and gives it a slightly more "serious" vibe. I remember reading one comment about it saying "It's AOD if you gave it the tone of Evil Dead 1". There's no new or exclusive scenes (save for the confrontation with the Deadite in the temple ruins, but even that is based on a deleted scene). One of the big things I've enjoyed about it is that it's told from Ash's perspective, so you get a peak into his mind with thought bubbles and narration on all the craziness around him.
 
Beautiful hand-painted art, and it was written by Sam and Ivan Raimi. It seriously cuts back on the comedy and eliminates the gags, and gives it a slightly more "serious" vibe. I remember reading one comment about it saying "It's AOD if you gave it the tone of Evil Dead 1". There's no new or exclusive scenes (save for the confrontation with the Deadite in the temple ruins, but even that is based on a deleted scene). One of the big things I've enjoyed about it is that it's told from Ash's perspective, so you get a peak into his mind with thought bubbles and narration on all the craziness around him.
I've never really liked any of the Evil Dead/AoD comics, but you've peaked my interest with this one!
 
I've never really liked any of the Evil Dead/AoD comics, but you've peaked my interest with this one!
Agreed.

We're in the early stages of working on an Army of Darkness RPG book or two, via Dynamite, so I'm particularly curious about this aspect. My main focus is of course the movie itself, but I don't want to leave anything out that we can make use of, which includes all the stuff they've published, if I'm not mistaken. Well, not ALL the stuff (crossovers are out, obviously).
 
We're in the early stages of working on an Army of Darkness RPG book or two, via Dynamite, so I'm particularly curious about this aspect. My main focus is of course the movie itself, but I don't want to leave anything out that we can make use of, which includes all the stuff they've published, if I'm not mistaken. Well, not ALL the stuff (crossovers are out, obviously).
I see. I gave you my list with the assumption you were looking for casual reading material, not research. In that case, I'll have to change my answer. What exactly are your personal parameters? Are you looking for stuff that is mainly set in 1300 AD, or you looking for more lore heavy stories, because there's a wide spectrum of stuff...
 
We're in the early stages of working on an Army of Darkness RPG book or two, via Dynamite, so I'm particularly curious about this aspect. My main focus is of course the movie itself, but I don't want to leave anything out that we can make use of, which includes all the stuff they've published, if I'm not mistaken. Well, not ALL the stuff (crossovers are out, obviously).
I've been thinking about it, and this is what I think you should look into:

>Army of Darkness: Ashes 2 Ashes - Takes place right after AOD, a neat new location (Tomb of The Necronomicon/Egypt), and uses all the AOD movie characters.
>Army of Darkness (Volume 2): From The Ashes (#1-4)/The Long Road Home (#5-8) - Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic world (though it's mainly Detroit and Cleveland) loosely inspired by the AOD alternate ending overrun with mutants, Deadites, Evil Ash, and The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse.
>Army of Darkness (Volume 2): Hellbillies and Deadnecks (#14-17) - Ash teams up with a vacationer and a hillbilly to deal with a Colorado ski resort town that he accidently turns into Deadites. The Necronomicon unleashes it's own "Chosen One" called Hell's Prophet, setting up the much longer League of Light storyline.
>Army of Darkness: Ash Gets Hitched - In 1300 AD, Ash accidently unleashes the king of the Deadites: The Faceless Man.
 
That's a great framework. We're still very early stages, but at least how I'm envisioning it, there's gonna be at least some opportunity to open it up and explore then larger Dynamite lore a bit, if and where it makes sense to do so.
 
Top Bottom