Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

Apparently there's another AOD piece from Dave Simons' estate... the complete original artwork for the single-issue story Montezuma's Revenge! It's neat seeing all the little notes and requests on the page edges, as well as the completely random nude woman he drew on the back of page 22!
Also oh my Gosh that one is Infamous for a reason.
 
ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #1 IS OUT TODAY!
My personal thoughts: It does a very good job of setting up the Archie universe (of which I know nothing about). Kinda rough with the set-up of Ash (getting a single-page recap of AOD), but it was maybe one of the better "introduction" pages these crossovers tend to do. Art was great (except for one panel where Ash has a very doofy face. Very hard to miss.) Nice and colorful, but not in an obnoxious or eye-straining way.
Overall, a pretty good start to this series!
PSA: The blind bags for this issue have been delayed to February 18th. So if you were wanting one (or more) of those, you're just gonna have to wait.
 
I would also like to announce that I've started collaborating with Spudd on creating shorts from their interviews with Evil Dead/Army of Darkness comic creators! The first of which is this short with Frank Hannah about the one change editorial demanded on his Evil Dead 2 run.
 
Gonna grab my copy before my birthday; excited to see how this one rolls.
 
Covers for ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #4 are out! On sale May 13th, 2026!
The forces of evil need Archie Andrews alive to fully open the gates to hell for the Army of Darkness, but Archie is protected by Ash, who’s an old hand at dispatching the average Deadite. Needing a new strategy, Ash’s evil counterpart creates some new Deadite doppelgangers to help him reach his goal. It’s Bad Betty, Vile Veronica, Rotten Reggie, a Jughead doppelganger so evil there’s no alliteration that could do him justice, and, of course, ARCHIE OF DARKNESS! Can these five new Deadites tip the scales? Find out in the penultimate chapter of Archie x The Army of Darkness!
CnhpdHw.jpeg
ERi3oZY.jpeg
oPj5Cop.jpeg
zr3Gadc.jpeg
wlCBKGl.jpeg

n0wSLX1.jpeg
E2u6E35.jpeg
bJfYLEU.jpeg
KeygoPi.jpeg
d33jMsg.jpeg

THERE ARE ALSO SOME UPDATES ON PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED RELEASES:
* Archie X Army of Darkness #1 BLIND BAGS will now release March 4th, 2026
* Dynamite's ARMY OF DARKNESS: THE BOARD GAME (and the miniature expansion pack) will now release on March 16th, 2026.
* The Red Sonja vs Army of Darkness trade paperback will now release on May 6th, 2026.
 
I have read the first issue of the Archie vs AOD and I had a darned good time. It's a little goofier than most Archie horror comics, but it's a solid little look into both universes.
 
Preview pages for ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #2, on sale March 11th!
(also Archie x AOD #1 blind bags have been delayed to March 18th)
66L3ljN.jpeg
WI9251e.jpeg
cOpL3VG.jpeg
hwVcvsi.jpeg
papvJqH.jpeg
 
OK so this is still a whole bunch of fun!
 
For all you hardcore AOD comic cover collectors out there, something that may have flown under the radar this week was the Archie x AOD #2 Dynamite.com exclusive... and that's alright for you not knowing about it, because it wasn't actually on the Dynamite website, it's on the Whatnot page of Dynamic Forces (Dynamite's parent company).
brNKqg0.jpeg
adhTude.jpeg

Dynamite has also announced a FOC (that's "final order cutoff" for the non-comic industry savvy folks) Robert Hack "Jughead as Ash" cover for issue #3. The cut off is this Tuesday the 16th.
5mgO0bu.jpeg
f5RN5Pp.jpeg
 
PSA: There seems to be a mass malfunctioning for the packaging of the Archie x Army of Darkness #1 blind bags (which are indeed out today), as a few people online (as well as my own local comic shop owner) are pointing out. The glue for where the bag is sealed is stuck to the top of the bottom comic (which is the blank cover), as seen here:


I circumvented disaster by cutting along the vertical edge first and then horizontally as close to the top as I could get. I bought two blind bags and both bottom blank books remained unharmed from my method.
 
For those of you who are not deep in the world of comics, a hot trend in both Marvel and DC has been "compact edition" paperbacks. Smaller than the average trade paperback (coming in at 5.5 by 8.5 inches, making them much easier to pack for a trip and read on the go), the compacts are doing absolutely ridiculous sales in every marketplace they're sold at, like traditional comic shops, book stores, and book fairs thanks in part to the average price tag of about $10 for 200+ pages of full color content. Good 'ol Dynamite Entertainment has just announced that they're getting into the compact book business, starting with a Pathfinder compact (collecting six issues and a bonus story) this June.

Now Dynamite says that more compacts are in the works, and it only seems like a matter of time before Army of Darkness gets one. So let me throw this question into the world: if YOU were in charge, which AOD comic series would YOU like to see get the compact treatment? I think 2020's Death to The Army of Darkness would make a good one. I figured since it is going to go out to a new and much wider audience thanks to all those new distribution deals Dynamite made in the past year, I would go with one that is self-contained and short (five issues).

For a visual reference, here's DC's Watchmen compact someone compared with a standard trade paperback edition:
CI9vQtj.jpeg
 
I LOVE those compact editions. First because I really like how practical the format is, but also because it feels very nostalgic to me, since pretty much every single comic published here in Brazil during the '80s and early '90s (when I first started reading and collecting) were about that size. Back then we would get the occasional special edition of certain comics and graphic novels in what we called the "american format", but it was only in the late '90s that the larger size became the norm.

When it comes to Dynamite's AoD comics that I'd like to see reprinted in the format, the ones that immediately come to mind are the first two Nick Bradshaw stories, Ashes 2 Ashes and Shop Till You Drop Dead, and the Steve Niles run of Ash and the Army of Darkness. Those are the only ones I'd want to get, to be completely honest. Really couldn't care much about any others, even in a format I like.
 
When it comes to Dynamite's AoD comics that I'd like to see reprinted in the format, the ones that immediately come to mind are the first two Nick Bradshaw stories, Ashes 2 Ashes and Shop Till You Drop Dead, and the Steve Niles run of Ash and the Army of Darkness. Those are the only ones I'd want to get, to be completely honest. Really couldn't care much about any others, even in a format I like.
Those were the ones that immediately came to my mind. I don't know how many issues can be squeezed into one of them, so I just went with something short. Ash and The Army of Darkness could be split into two (one with 1-6, then one with 7, 8, and 1-4 of Ash Gets Hitched) if there's a "six issues per book" rule.
 
Covers and synopsis for the final issue of ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #5 is out! On sale June 10th, 2026!
The big finale is here! Archie and the gang have one last shot at stopping the invading Army of Darkness, and they’ll need to read from the Necronomicon ex Mortis to do it, and that means counteracting the book’s evil mojo with some concentrated goodness! We won’t hold out on you – the forces of good will triumph over the forces of evil, somehow – but you’re going to have to get your own copy of Archie x The Army of Darkness #5 to find out exactly how. Come get some!
ozapp1N.jpeg
fU3r6Hr.jpeg
9672WQz.jpeg
4ChWcBG.jpeg
eiCWExw.jpeg

xuBz2ZF.jpeg
vJ2KJw1.jpeg
nzwprhT.jpeg
mssamR1.jpeg
EgJHplS.jpeg
 
Covers and synopsis for the final issue of ARCHIE X ARMY OF DARKNESS #5 is out! On sale June 10th, 2026!
This issue will also have a blind bag three-cover pack like issue one (hopefully WITHOUT glue problems) set for release the same day.
rGvzaW5.jpeg

While we do not have any final images for the blind bag covers yet, regular AOD cover artist Ken Haeser posted this teaser the other day and stated it was for #5 blind bags. I will post the final art as soon as I find it.
 
Those were the ones that immediately came to my mind. I don't know how many issues can be squeezed into one of them, so I just went with something short. Ash and The Army of Darkness could be split into two (one with 1-6, then one with 7, 8, and 1-4 of Ash Gets Hitched) if there's a "six issues per book" rule.

I don't know how Dynamite intends to do it, but both DC's and Marvel's compact editions have varied in length. In fact, I think the majority of the stories in the DC Compact line are over 10 issues long. If Dynamite decides not to impose a hard limit of 6 issues per book, I believe they could fit all 8 issues of Ash and the Army of Darkness into one of these quite easily (and maybe even cram the annual and Ash Gets Hitched in there too, but that might be pushing it and it could inflate the price tag, which would be kinda missing the point of the whole endeavour). Allowing for 8 issues in a book could also fit both of Nick Bradshaw's minis in the same one, which would be nice.
 
Last edited:
4oULvj3.jpeg

I don't know if anyone else here has picked up the Archie X Army of Darkness #1 blind bags, but I have procured three. Each bag contains one blank cover, one full color (either a full dress or virgin) cover, and one black and white (either a full dress or virgin) cover. Thankfully, I have gotten a different full color and black and white book... but EVERY BLANK COVER I GOT HAS BEEN THE RED CARDSTOCK "O" COVER! Like, how in the hell out off all the possible combos there are out there do I keep getting an "O" every damn time?!?
 
Top Bottom