Evil Dead: The Game has been delisted from Playstation Store and Epic Games

Saber Interactive used AI in their new game Rideshare Stimulator. They were also accused of replacing their head writer with ChatGPT, though they deny it.

The more I know about this company, the more I believe the claims that they really never planned to support Evil Dead long term and only wanted it to make a certain amout of money before throwing it into trash.
 
The more I know about this company, the more I believe the claims that they really never planned to support Evil Dead long term and only wanted it to make a certain amout of money before throwing it into trash.
"Um, actually, you normies have it all wrong. Saber DID have long-term plans to support the game, but you need to blame MGM for being assholes about wanting more AOD content and we need to start a campaign to get Saber to remove AOD material so we can have more content based on the other films!" - Someone who will not be named
 
"Um, actually, you normies have it all wrong. Saber DID have long-term plans to support the game, but you need to blame MGM for being assholes about wanting more AOD content and we need to start a campaign to get Saber to remove AOD material so we can have more content based on the other films!" - Someone who will not be named
Oh yeah, I've heard that one before. As if the fans would have to remind Saber that they can just remove the content they no longer have rights to.
 
BTW: I only just now realized that one place on the Army of Darkness map in the game is called Fort Gort clearly after Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still, who is also controlled by the famous command "Klaatu barada nikto".

Makes me wonder what other parts of the three maps are similar references. Only other two I could think of are "Jake's Gas'n Go", clearly a reference to Jake from Evil Dead II, and "Clara's Pond" which sounds like a mix of Clara Oswald and Amy Pond, which isn't an Evil Dead reference, but maybe somebody on the map design team was a big Doctor Who fan.
 
Makes me wonder what other parts of the three maps are similar references. Only other two I could think of are "Jake's Gas'n Go", clearly a reference to Jake from Evil Dead II,
Jakes Gas'n Go is from the movie itself. It was a physical location Annie and Ed visit in the early drafts of the script before it was changed to bridge scene, but Jake's truck still has a sign for it in the final version.
ed2_photo_318_lbx.jpg

and "Clara's Pond" which sounds like a mix of Clara Oswald and Amy Pond, which isn't an Evil Dead reference, but maybe somebody on the map design team was a big Doctor Who fan.
Since they were going deep cut with their references, I saw it as a reference to Clara Talbot from Sam Raimi's fictional history of the real world cabin.
ed_locations_01_lbx.jpg

As for other references:
  • Bronson Cave is a reference to Bronson Canyon, a region in Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California that has been used as a filming location for many television shows and movies, including Army of Darkness.
  • Green Witch Village is a reference to Greenwich Village in New York City, New York. During the production of Evil Dead: The Game, Sam Raimi directed the film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, where the title character resides in Greenwich Village.
  • Payne Manor is possibly a reference to Nathaniel Payne, a character from the 2003 video game Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick.
 
Oh yeah, I've heard that one before. As if the fans would have to remind Saber that they can just remove the content they no longer have rights to.
Well, we don't know how long the deals were for, and they paid for the exclusive rights for AOD to kill the Mortal Kombat deal, so that may prolonged that license specifically.
 
Saber Interactive used AI in their new game Rideshare Stimulator. They were also accused of replacing their head writer with ChatGPT, though they deny it.

The more I know about this company, the more I believe the claims that they really never planned to support Evil Dead long term and only wanted it to make a certain amout of money before throwing it into trash.
One can never doubt the drive of the team in Madrid who did most of the early work on the game, and when Saber shifted it to the US team everything went downhill and fast... but hearing they took the easy way out for a game of this nature and future games isn't surprising. This Matthew Karch person seems to have taken more direct control since Tim Willits made his series of false comments about his time working at id Software too, but they both seem to be from the same mold of lazy business people in the video game industry.
 
One can never doubt the drive of the team in Madrid who did most of the early work on the game, and when Saber shifted it to the US team everything went downhill and fast... but hearing they took the easy way out for a game of this nature and future games isn't surprising. This Matthew Karch person seems to have taken more direct control since Tim Willits made his series of false comments about his time working at id Software too, but they both seem to be from the same mold of lazy business people in the video game industry.
Oh yeah, I have the art book for the game and it's really clear from that how passionate the Madrid team was about it.
 
The rapid demise of this game might be the biggest tragedy in the entire franchise. I played it nonstop for over a year. Could've done so many things, added so many more great characters. I hoped for a while that another company would simply buy it and turn things around, but it's clear that will never happen. I got the feeling the guy in charge of developing Splatter Royale (can't remember the name, it's been years now) took it too personally when that mode flopped and stopped trying.
 
The rapid demise of this game might be the biggest tragedy in the entire franchise. I played it nonstop for over a year. Could've done so many things, added so many more great characters. I hoped for a while that another company would simply buy it and turn things around, but it's clear that will never happen. I got the feeling the guy in charge of developing Splatter Royale (can't remember the name, it's been years now) took it too personally when that mode flopped and stopped trying.
Imagine if instead of Splatter we got a new map and/or a couple of new characters, smh…

Also one thing I always wanted to see in the game was an S-Mart skin for the Plague Witch. That with this skin, she would basically look like the Deadite at the end of Army of Darkness (because even though these two Deadites are different, they were played by the same actress). And then the Prison Skeletons and the Pit Deadites could be dressed in S-Mart uniforms and the cauldron could have a big ON SALE sticker on it.

But alas…
 
The rapid demise of this game might be the biggest tragedy in the entire franchise. I played it nonstop for over a year. Could've done so many things, added so many more great characters. I hoped for a while that another company would simply buy it and turn things around, but it's clear that will never happen. I got the feeling the guy in charge of developing Splatter Royale (can't remember the name, it's been years now) took it too personally when that mode flopped and stopped trying.
I played for 3 years from day of release making it to level 1,000+, and will argue that this game is the best looking and playable asym game ever made. Splatter Royale was a joke from the start though when everyone who played was asking for a horde mode, and what made it worse is that they refused to give Mia a chainsaw in game... but decided to make it so everyone could carry a chainsaw in Splatter Royale which pissed everyone off along with the fact that in the beginning if even one person left you would have to go through the 40 player queue again.
 
Last edited:
Makes me wonder what other parts of the three maps are similar references.
You got me goin' on a deep dive:
* Fairview Campground is named after Fairview, Tennessee, which is relatively close to where ED2 took place prior to the Michigan retcon. The aforementioned sign on Jake's truck mentions it, and there was also allegedly a sign on the airport set that said Fairview.
* Shockley Auto is named after the Shockley family, who not only owned the property that the ED1 cabin was located on but built it as well.
* Wadesboro Junkyard is named after Wadesboro, North Carolina, where ED2 was filmed.
* Clara's Pond I already discussed.
* Harry's Houses is an homage to animator Ray Harryhausen. His work on the 1963 film Jason and the Argonauts inspired the look of the stop-motion skeletons in Army of Darkness.
* Royal Oak Cemetery is named after Royal Oak, Michigan, the Detroit suburb that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell grew up in.
 
You got me goin' on a deep dive:
* Fairview Campground is named after Fairview, Tennessee, which is relatively close to where ED2 took place prior to the Michigan retcon. The aforementioned sign on Jake's truck mentions it, and there was also allegedly a sign on the airport set that said Fairview.
* Shockley Auto is named after the Shockley family, who not only owned the property that the ED1 cabin was located on but built it as well.
* Wadesboro Junkyard is named after Wadesboro, North Carolina, where ED2 was filmed.
* Clara's Pond I already discussed.
* Harry's Houses is an homage to animator Ray Harryhausen. His work on the 1963 film Jason and the Argonauts inspired the look of the stop-motion skeletons in Army of Darkness.
* Royal Oak Cemetery is named after Royal Oak, Michigan, the Detroit suburb that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell grew up in.
Thanks for these, this is amazing. I probably should have guessed Harry's Houses. It's so obvious now when you said it, but I really had no idea.
 
You got me goin' on a deep dive:
* Fairview Campground is named after Fairview, Tennessee, which is relatively close to where ED2 took place prior to the Michigan retcon. The aforementioned sign on Jake's truck mentions it, and there was also allegedly a sign on the airport set that said Fairview.
* Shockley Auto is named after the Shockley family, who not only owned the property that the ED1 cabin was located on but built it as well.
* Wadesboro Junkyard is named after Wadesboro, North Carolina, where ED2 was filmed.
* Clara's Pond I already discussed.
* Harry's Houses is an homage to animator Ray Harryhausen. His work on the 1963 film Jason and the Argonauts inspired the look of the stop-motion skeletons in Army of Darkness.
* Royal Oak Cemetery is named after Royal Oak, Michigan, the Detroit suburb that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell grew up in.
Evil Dead: The Game also has a picture of H.P. Lovecraft in the bathroom of the cabin by the bathtub and a Cthulhu statue in one of the rooms on a bookshelf attached to the wall.
 
Evil Dead: The Game also has a picture of H.P. Lovecraft in the bathroom of the cabin by the bathtub and a Cthulhu statue in one of the rooms on a bookshelf attached to the wall.
Which makes sense given how much Evil Dead stuff has borrowed from Lovecraftian lore over the years. There's also some snacks that reference Yog-Sothoth (who was constantly referenced in the first AOD vs Re-Animator comic), Nyarlathotep (who appeared in a Space Goat ED2 comic) and Innsmouth (though that doesn't have any Evil Dead connection that I recall).
 
Imagine if instead of Splatter we got a new map and/or a couple of new characters, smh…

Also one thing I always wanted to see in the game was an S-Mart skin for the Plague Witch. That with this skin, she would basically look like the Deadite at the end of Army of Darkness (because even though these two Deadites are different, they were played by the same actress). And then the Prison Skeletons and the Pit Deadites could be dressed in S-Mart uniforms and the cauldron could have a big ON SALE sticker on it.

But alas…

So many things. I know Chet was rumored to be the next character, and if I remember correctly, Ted Raimi even recorded the lines (or was going to?). He would've been fun. Ellie and Beth seemed like locks, with Rise coming out while the game was still very much active. Speaking of, an S-Mart map would've been legendary, harkening back to the office map back in the Counter Strike days.
 
I played for 3 years from day of release making it to level 1,000+, and will argue that this game is the best looking and playable asym game ever made. Splatter Royale was a joke from the start though when everyone who played was asking for a horde mode, and what made it worse is that they refused to give Mia a chainsaw in game... but decided to make it so everyone could carry a chainsaw in Splatter Royale which pissed everyone off along with the fact that in the beginning if even one person left you would have to go through the 40 player queue again.

I agree. It's the most fun I've ever had playing a video game, and it never got bored until the day I stopped playing. I was also on the horde train, and admittedly only played SR a couple times. Might have to fire it up again and see how many people are still playing
 
So many things. I know Chet was rumored to be the next character, and if I remember correctly, Ted Raimi even recorded the lines (or was going to?). He would've been fun. Ellie and Beth seemed like locks, with Rise coming out while the game was still very much active. Speaking of, an S-Mart map would've been legendary, harkening back to the office map back in the Counter Strike days.
What I don't understand about that is if Ted Raimi was involved, why didn't he voice Henrietta? Because her in-game ways always throws me off.

Also if they'd add Chet, they could've also played with his legacy in the franchise, like giving him skins of the Ted Raimi characters from Army of Darkness (the S-Mart clerk and the couple of soldiers and/or peasants that he played).
 
I agree. It's the most fun I've ever had playing a video game, and it never got bored until the day I stopped playing. I was also on the horde train, and admittedly only played SR a couple times. Might have to fire it up again and see how many people are still playing
Problems with the queue lead to me missing out on playing a match with Andy Campbell, and the best I ever finished was 3rd when they lowered the number of players. It was hilarious because we were on the castle map with a Henrietta who spent most of it in middle tower in the Fort Gort area, and when I went up to take them on with a baseball bat I hit them twice and went down and the next person one shotted them from the door. I was close to taking them out, but never got another chance to play against Andy who was pretty good playing as Mia.
I know Chet was rumored to be the next character, and if I remember correctly, Ted Raimi even recorded the lines (or was going to?
Bruce said he recorded lines and Ted made a post on social media to try to get them to include Chet, but they never did anything with it if they even bothered to acknowledged it.
What I don't understand about that is if Ted Raimi was involved, why didn't he voice Henrietta? Because her in-game ways always throws me off.
Ted seemed to enjoy doing Chet because it was something different, and he could build on it (Chet should have been a hunter who could make Pink F...) but Henrietta isn't as bad as what they did to poor Brock in the game with that voice. It threw me off during the first couple of matches with Brock players before they nerfed him into the ground when people were asking why Ruby was so powerful, and speaking of Ruby there was stuff in the files from Kelly and Pablo that mentioned an Evil Ruby that Saber should have made happen since they actually had Lucy Lawless do the lines. I feel those moves alone would have made the game nearly perfect, and a few more additions would have been icing on the cake.
 
Last edited:
Chet should have been a hunter who could make Pink F...
I always imagined Chet could be a support that spawns shemps the same way Pablo spawns amulets (maybe just with a longer cooldown). And that every time he opens a crate, everyone gets 1 extra pink F out of it.
 
Top Bottom