Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance I'm completely new here, I just made an account 5 minutes ago. I'm hoping someone can help me I'm trying to collect all of the army of darkness comics and all official lists I can find online list "volume 3" as "untitled story" that's 13 issues long. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether these issues were ever released as a graphic novel or otherwise collected edition? Thanks :)

Welcome! You can find info and listings for all comics on our site here:

https://deadites.net/features/evil-dead-comics/

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance I'm completely new here, I just made an account 5 minutes ago. I'm hoping someone can help me I'm trying to collect all of the army of darkness comics and all official lists I can find online list "volume 3" as "untitled story" that's 13 issues long. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows whether these issues were ever released as a graphic novel or otherwise collected edition? Thanks :)

Welcome Deadtwelve! The Evil Dead/AOD series can be very hard to comprehend!

I made a visual guide, which also include the movies/series/games, and I think it could be a good start. The comics are listed in trade paperbacks, with mention of the Omnibus:

dd8uj0y-6b5ce3c5-84e3-4e31-b90e-1bf93a70f77c.jpg

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
Oh my god, the dog cover!

And here's the covers for Issue #4, which is due out December 15:

It's 1979 and Ash is on the trail of the Necronomicon in the Big Apple. His adventures have led him many places, most of which unleashing horror after horror upon our dim-witted hero. But, here, at the height of the 70s, is Ash prepared to face what lurks behind the doors of... Studio 54?

Artists from top to bottom: Francesco Mattina, Arthur Suydam, Junggeun Yoon and Stuart Sayger:

AOD19790404011AMattinaLowRes.jpg

AOD19790404021BSuydam.jpg

AOD19790404031CYoonLowRes.jpg

AOD19790404041DSaygerLowRes.jpg

I desperately need the Suydam.

Deadtwelve

Primitive Screwhead
Welcome Deadtwelve! The Evil Dead/AOD series can be very hard to comprehend!

I made a visual guide, which also include the movies/series/games, and I think it could be a good start. The comics are listed in trade paperbacks, with mention of the Omnibus:

dd8uj0y-6b5ce3c5-84e3-4e31-b90e-1bf93a70f77c.jpg
Wow, thats very impressive and super helpful thank you. Based on that it looks like the untitled volume 3 is collected in "the King is dead long live the Queen" and "hail to the Queen baby".

I'm getting close to finishing the collection now, thanks for the help guys.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
Initial impressions of AOD: 1979: Kinda mediocre so far?

Only Ash would consider becoming a Lumberjack a solid retirement. The Warriors influence is super heavy and thus far not quite distinct enough from the film.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
And here are the covers for AOD: 1979 #5

It's a battle royale, 1970s style as the gangs converge and Ash stands ready to fight his way out of the swinging 70s and back into the... present day? or wherever the Necronomicon sends him next!

The issue streets January 26, 2022

Cover artists in order: Francesco Mattina, Arthur Suydam, Junggeun Yoon, and Stuart Sayger

AOD19790505011AMattinaTemp.jpg

AOD19790505021BSuydam.jpg

AOD19790505031CYoon.jpg

AOD19790505041DSaygar.jpg

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Initial impressions of AOD: 1979: Kinda mediocre so far?

Only Ash would consider becoming a Lumberjack a solid retirement. The Warriors influence is super heavy and thus far not quite distinct enough from the film.

Yeah... I get the single issues every month, and I'm not impressed. :( I'll get the TPB anyway, just because...

Speaking of a comic that 'I don't love', I received the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Evil Dead comic book.

kMTgLQi.jpg

8KjUWWU

Deadtwelve

Primitive Screwhead
Yeah... I get the single issues every month, and I'm not impressed. :( I'll get the TPB anyway, just because...

Speaking of a comic that 'I don't love', I received the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Evil Dead comic book.

kMTgLQi.jpg

8KjUWWU
I notice you have an omnibus volume 4 on the shelf there. I had no idea that existed I can't find any reference to it on Google. Can I please ask you what stories it connects? Thank you.

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
I notice you have an omnibus volume 4 on the shelf there. I had no idea that existed I can't find any reference to it on Google. Can I please ask you what stories it connects? Thank you.

Ah, good eyes!! That omnibus (and the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash Omnibus) are 100% handmade by me! They are 'one of a kind'. You can see the covers in HD (with the content) here:

https://www.deviantart.com/morsoth/art/Book-Army-of-Darkness-Comic-Omnibus-4-801986633

https://www.deviantart.com/morsoth/art/Book-Freddy-vs-Jason-vs-Ash-Comic-Omnibus-884160302

MaidOfKandar

Staff member

kMTgLQi.jpg

8KjUWWU

I love the Warriors, but I think they're learning way too hard into parodying it without adding anything new or interesting to the pot. Sighs.

I checked Dynamite for solicits and nothing's coming out in February. Looks like this might be another four-issues-and-done mini-arc.

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
Have any of these comics ever had any references or anything related to AvED?

They never referenced any of the events of Ash vs Evil Dead, but the Ash vs. the Army of Darkness comic used the show's license plate for Ash's Oldsmobile: 3971 KTL.

Also, in the Evil Dead 2: Revenge of Hitler and Evil Dead 2: Revenge of Krampus comics, Ash also live in a mobile home trailer, like the series.

Last edited:

Ryan W.

Loud Mouth Braggart
They never referenced any of the events of Ash vs Evil Dead, but the Ash vs. the Army of Darkness comic used the show's license plate for Ash's Oldsmobile: 3971 KTL.

Also, in the Evil Dead 2: Revenge of Hitler comic, Ash also live in a mobile home trailer, same as in the series.

Thanks. :)

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
And it looks like the next Dynamite series will be a Re-Animator crossover - AOD vs Re-Animator: Necronomicon Rising. Yes, another one. It's supposed to street in July, and supposedly a sequel to the decade-old original Re-Animator vs AOD story. The AOD vs Re-Animator series will also be reissued, though it won't make any sense unless you read the first few volumes of the AOD comic series.

Covers:

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Morsoth

Loud Mouth Braggart
I like the art a lot!

It's crazy to think that Dynamite launched the first AOD comic 18 years ago, and it's still ongoing.

I only wish they could have acquired the licensing rights of Evil Dead 2. Space Goat messed up their company, but the ED2 comics was good.

MaidOfKandar

Staff member
The art's pretty nice, and bringing things back to the basics of the first arc is interesting, but I shall wait and see what ends up coming of all of this!

Top Bottom