Ash Vs Evil Dead: 02 05 Confinement Discussion [SPOILERS]

Okay, as Kain said, everyone back to their corners and cool it with the infighting, please and thank you.

Joe, I know you're frustrated that some folks have negative opinions about the show - you're super passionate about it and love it, it's completely understandable that you're not liking some folks' thoughts.  Please keep a cool head and take a deep breath when things like this happen.

Ashenwraith, you're more than welcome to have a negative opinion about the show but doing things like questioning the casting of Pablo because Ray Santiago's physical appearance doesn't match what you think a latino should look like (Pablo is, BTW, supposed to be Honduran and the Mexican jokes a sign of Ash's own inability to tell people of different ethnic groups apart - I don't like those jokes either but they have been lampshading them pretty heavily)  is rather a bit over the line.  

DyD, as a fellow  critic I hope you keep posting your thoughts every week!  Every opinion is welcome, and I don't think you're ruining anyone's experience.

Yadda yadda, please read the post at the head of the thread and be respectful of each other's opinions. It's a rule we've got.  Bring your passion but back-biting at each other will just result in hostility.

Also, let's please not drag politics into this.  Please.
 
I wanna personally apologize to everyone involved in that post, i didn't mean any ill will to the people mentioned and i was just trying to be smartass and thought it would relive some of the tension a bit. I knew what i was getting myself into when posting that and thought everyone would go along with it, i underestimated the response i got severely , if i hurt anyone's feelings, pissed someone off or stepped on anyone's toes i am truly sorry that was not the intent i had when posting it. 

It was a dumb move on my part and i hope i didn't scare anyone away from sharing there thoughts about the show in general because of me, everyone has there POV or how they see things and i completely respect that motto wholeheartdly and i've respected that ruling until now. From now i'm gonna be more careful with what i post or say, i went over the line tonight and i hope i can correct that mistake for the future. 

BACK ON TOPIC

Here's a clip from ep 6 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOMF05PMLgc
 
It's fine, Joe - emotions get the best of all of us sometimes and I get that you were trying to joke around, but it did come off a little harsh - as long as all of you are cool with one another then all is well.

RE the clip
now that's the Kelly I like!
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Ashenwraith, you're more than welcome to have a negative opinion about the show but doing things like questioning the casting of Pablo because Ray Santiago's physical appearance doesn't match what you think a latino should look like (Pablo is, BTW, supposed to be Honduran and the Mexican jokes a sign of Ash's own inability to tell people of different ethnic groups apart - I don't like those jokes either but they have been lampshading them pretty heavily)  is rather a bit over the line. 

Uh I was born and raised in So Cal, I know what 'generic Mexican-Americans' are, I know what music they like, what shows they watch, how they talk, I know their humor and how they make fun of Mexicans and themselves way better than anything I've heard or seen in AVED.

IE, I have Mexican friends that will straight up be like this with their Mexican friends/fam...

"Look at all these BEANERS here. Hey you want a sombrero to match that outfit bro?"

"Hey baby why don't give you me give your number, you know I'll take care of that lawn nice and neat in the morning."

"Yo, what's up churro?"

Most Mexican-Americans are the opposite of PC culture--have you ever actually sat through a show on Univision?

Oh and I've got Korean and Chinese friends who have no problem blending all Asian stereotypes together and throwing out stuff about FOBs, rice, poor driving, eating dogs/cats/bugs, etc, etc.

Everything on AVED is super tame in comparison (to the point it's weird), it's probably better to not even include ethnic humor if they can't do it right. I mean this is 2016, not 1963.
 
Again, Pablo is supposed to be Honduran and, to point to my earlier post, that's the (still bad) joke they're trying to tell re Ash's jokes, which are being lampshaded this season with Pablo making that beer joke that Ash called racist and him calling Chet a white guy at the top of his lungs and Ash calling THAT racist.  That's the joke, as Rainier Woolfcastle would say.  They're trying to lampoon racists and anti-racist culture at the same time - imo badly, but hey.

And Ray is Puerto Rican and thus Latino in any respect.   In any event, there are many people I know who are x ethnicity and don't make those jokes, nor do they behave or look in a certain, universal way. No one's experience is one size fits all.

They're also trying to sell the show to as many people as possible which is why the jokes are softball.   It's not about being 'pc' (ahh, that term), and frankly their attempts at lampshading their racial humor have been bad enough as it is (IE: unfunny.  So unfunny).

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/3Um4LGnCOSY?t=7s[/video]

jsyk.  Consider this a first warning.

(*Also hey, this is how I found out Ray's out! Good for him.)
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Again, Pablo is supposed to be Honduran and, to point to my earlier post, that's the (still bad) joke they're trying to tell re Ash's jokes, which are being lampshaded this season with Pablo making that beer joke that Ash called racist and him calling Chet a white guy at the top of his lungs and Ash calling THAT racist.  That's the joke, as Rainier Woolfcastle would say.  They're trying to lampoon racists and anti-racist culture at the same time - imo badly, but hey.

And Ray is Puerto Rican and thus Latino in any respect.   In any event, there are many people I know who are x ethnicity and don't make those jokes, nor do they behave or look in a certain, universal way.  No one's experience is one size fits all.

They're also trying to sell the show to as many people as possible which is why the jokes are softball.   It's not about being 'pc' (ahh, that term), and frankly their attempts at lampshading their racial humor have been bad enough as it is (IE: unfunny.  So unfunny).

jsyk.  Consider this a first warning.

(*Also hey, this is how I found out Ray's out!  Good for him.)

Uh I don't know what this warning is supposed to be for, I'm simply discussing the show. It's not my fault the writing and acting is the way it is. If you re-read my posts I've simply reviewed all the episodes in one small post to catch-up.

Also I think my point is passing you by. It doesn't matter what Ray is because they keep calling him Mexican/Illegal in the show and it's obvious the audience is supposed to somehow laugh at that part based purely on Ray's physical features.

How is me explaining this as an issue require a 'warning', especially in a show that repeatedly brags about being "COMPLETELY UNRESTRICTED WITH CONTENT" where we can literally see Ash get shoved up an ass and have a penis bounce on his face?

Like is the show so bad now commentary by its fans needs to policed?

Last I remember S01 had many of these same issues brought up by everyone, the only difference is that Sam Raimi didn't make the pilot (arguably the best episode of the series).

I mean have I said anything about anyone personally or that wasn't true about the show?
 
The warning was for your sharpness of tone in both this thread and your interaction with others in the thread you made, not your opinions on the show. That's why I said it was pointed. It's not a content restriction warning but a conduct warning. If we were policing commentary on the show half the comments in this thread wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't even be a moderator since my opinions about it are mixed to negative most of the time. Also Bruce bragging about Starz' lack of content restriction on the product has nothing to do with how we treat each other here (IE: with unfettered opinions but also with general politeness and respect; notice when Joe took your opinions badly I admonished him as well). You have indeed refrained from personal attacks and I thank you for it.

I say it's arguable that one is supposed to look at Pablo and sympathize with him, which is why he's always allowed to get in an aside and Ash's commentary is not taken as gospel; the audience is supposed to laugh at Pablo's chagrin and Ash's oblivious wrongheadedness, versus laughing at the way the slur is used. You have a differing opinion, and I won't fight you on it.

It's all cool! In any event, let's move on.
 
Joem1k said:
Hurley 
I don't give a fuck about this show anymore. 

OK, point taken. :) And actually after the last episode, I kinda get why you are still so exited about this. As I said, you need to be invested in the current story to care about the introduction of Baal, etc. And because you still clearly are, I get that you still love each new episode, whereas I just feel more and more disconnected from it and see more and more flaws with it.

It kinda reminds me of the first season. For the first season, I was on a massive hype train and though I saw flaws here and there, I didn't mind ("why the fuck would Ash read from the.... HOLY SHIT Sam's directing is awesome!", "well I don't really need to see Ash hitting on a waitress because he doesn't have money to pay... HOLY SHIT THAT DINER FIGHT IS AWESOME", "wait, is he gonna flash boobs of a corpse... HOLY SHIT THE CABIN IS AWESOME" etc). After episode eight I though I was back on track and honestly, episode ten is closest to the new ED movie we could have possibly hoped for, but that ending of the first season just broke me beyond repair and I guess for the first time I realised what this show is actually trying to be, not what I want it to be.

I'm not trying do condescend you by saying that some day you'll also realise this or anything like that... No. I just get your frustration (I remember that during the first season, I was also annoyed by all the nitpicking from some sides). If you are on the same page as what the show is doing, awesome. I wish I could still enjoy it like you do. But I just can't. Not anymore...
 
Hurley said:
It kinda reminds me of the first season. For the first season, I was on a massive hype train and though I saw flaws here and there, I didn't mind ("why the fuck would Ash read from the.... HOLY SHIT Sam's directing is awesome!", "well I don't really need to see Ash hitting on a waitress because he doesn't have money to pay... HOLY SHIT THAT DINER FIGHT IS AWESOME", "wait, is he gonna flash boobs of a corpse... HOLY SHIT THE CABIN IS AWESOME" etc). After episode eight I though I was back on track and honestly, episode ten is closest to the new ED movie we could have possibly hoped for, but that ending of the first season just broke me beyond repair and I guess for the first time I realised what this show is actually trying to be, not what I want it to be.

Perfectly describes my feelings :heart:

Regarding Joe's controversial post: I take no offense. Everything is cool. :)
And of course I want a writer's job at Starz ... but only if they accept my scripts in German or horrible, horrible English ;)
 
Hi guys, new here.

Just watched the episode and did I miss something? I mean, Ruby was with Kelly and the dagger killing the children, and Pablo was fine and dandy killing Ash's car. All of a sudden we have Pablo sick (and with a very deep scar like he was impaled, but hat was just a dream right?) and Ash was alone with the dagger in his bag? What happened? When did Ash meet the other, got the dagger and then went his separate way?
 
Batcanada said:
Hi guys, new here.

Just watched the episode and did I miss something? I mean, Ruby was with Kelly and the dagger killing the children, and Pablo was fine and dandy killing Ash's car. All of a sudden we have Pablo sick (and with a very deep scar like he was impaled, but hat was just a dream right?) and Ash was alone with the dagger in his bag? What happened? When did Ash meet the other, got the dagger and then went his separate way?

I have a feeling a couple days past after DUI and the story picked right back up with a time jump. Pablo probably developed those symptom's over the course of those days in-between DUI and this episode.
 
Joem1k said:
I have a feeling a couple days past after DUI and the story picked right back up with a time jump. Pablo probably developed those symptom's over the course of those days in-between DUI and this episode.

I don't think it would take the cops several days to find out about the massacre in the bar and then arresting Ash for it. I think we are looking on a very nice plot hole Batcanada discovered there.
 
Batcanada said:
Hi guys, new here.

Just watched the episode and did I miss something? I mean, Ruby was with Kelly and the dagger killing the children, and Pablo was fine and dandy killing Ash's car. All of a sudden we have Pablo sick (and with a very deep scar like he was impaled, but hat was just a dream right?) and Ash was alone with the dagger in his bag? What happened? When did Ash meet the other, got the dagger and then went his separate way?

My guess is that Pablo's supposed to be slowly suffering with the from the point of Baal's emergence from the trunk onwards.  It's sort of a slow onset possession I guess?  I don't have an answer for the dagger part.  I guess we can presume that Ash dropped off Pablo to Brock's house with Kelly and Ruby and then went off to the Elk to proposition Linda and when he didn't show up they all went to go gather him from the police station.  

The continuity/editing has been kind of off this season.  See: Chet being kicked out of Ash's car and then being in there with him the next time we see him. I agree that days likely haven't gone by in the meantime, it's more likely that Baal skin-suited Margie sometime after someone who was at the rager called 911.
 
Top Bottom