Ash Vs. Evil Dead DVD / BLURAY RELEASE DATE

I'm glad they got Jill in the commentary. I really liked this series, even the episodes others here disliked.

But I REALLY regret what they did with the Amanda Fisher character. So much potential at the beginning, and what did they do with her?

She made a terrific deadite though.

If they're being honest in the commentaries, I hope they address this. Or were they planning on doing that all along? (I'm not actually talking about her ultimate fate. That's to be expected in this franchise. More the journey in between .)
 
Thanks, Joe!

Interesting that Bruce is off of Ep 6, I guess because it's more Pablo/Kelly centric; It makes sense he's not on 7, since that's a clear Pablo and Kelly episode and contains most of Amanda's stand-out moments (aside from the pilot and her Deadite work/final fight in 9).

@Mardeadite - I really feel like Amanda was such a lost opportunity. It's like they realized they needed to shoehorn in a love interest for Ash somehow so they shrugged and cut her character arc short. I get that it's Evil Dead and no one is safe but her death would've had more impact if they played her off of Ash longer, or if they'd saved it until this season. Her character feels like it was written as they went along much more than Ruby's for me. Such a waste of Jill's talent, too.
 
I agree with most of your points Maid . Another thing I disliked was how quickly Amanda went from antagonist to flirty so quickly. I'm not suggesting she should have been aggressive with Ash when she teamed up with him, as that could have gotten old and cliched quickly (and in the end that arc didn't last long either) but that was silly. If bringing her into series 2 would provide a longer believable storyline, fair enough. And maybe she should have teamed up with them sooner, although I'm kinda glad she didn't. I can see how she might have benefitted from the usual 22+ episode series, but otherwise AvED probably benefits from the shorter series.

I was also more disappointed with her arc than Ruby's, cos at least Ruby is still around to develop. I wanted to see more of those two ladies on the road together, but I appreciate that was largely due to Lucy's work commitments.
 
That would've made good narrative sense; there wasn't much time spent on transition, so you're left with the impression that she's melted because of Ash being Ash, shades of Sheila in AOD, which makes it less original.  AOD is a movie and runs at a breakneck pace, which makes the transition easier to accept.  There was so much more room with Amanda and Ash to fix things and make me believe they were in love and that she really would run away with him to Florida, but her motive was also pretty shaky - they really either needed to emphasize her bond with her partner or make her job more central to her identity; her need for revenge stopped driving her somewhere around when she met Ruby.  The weird thing about that is 

I have a feeling they're setting up Ruby and Ash as Mismatched Partners who Hate Each Other And Then Fall In Love this coming season. So history might repeat itself?

Y'know, I kinda wish that Ruby had shown up at the very end of the season.  It would've made her mysterious and it would've made the impact of her torture of Pablo greater, I think.
 
I'm gonna be very honest here, i just could not get into amanda's character, yes the potential was there and JMJ bless her soul did a great job playing her the best she could with the script she was given, and in the commentary tracks she sounded like she had a blast working on s1 with everyone, when you get to 6/7/8 on the commentary tracks, you'll see what i mean. 

Out of the 5 main characters, amanda was the least interesting of the 5, i just could not connect with her because of how jumbled and confusing her character was cause she kept flip flopping a lot and her love story with ash just didn't click with me, while her death was shocking and it served as a grave reminder that this is still ED and anyone is fair game to dieing at a moments notice, it was still a shame i just couldn't connect amanda enough to really care about the impact of her death. 

the original script for ep 1 (which can be found in the original thread for "El JEFE" on page 8), her character seemed like she was going to be playing a much bigger part in the story but i have a feeling once they brought in lucy to play ruby they shifted focus on her character during the re-writes and basically became a backseat to ruby's storyline,  that's probably what killed most of her storyline / character in the process.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
I really feel like Amanda was such a lost opportunity.  It's like they realized they needed to shoehorn in a love interest for Ash somehow so they shrugged and cut her character arc short.  I get that it's Evil Dead and no one is safe but her death would've had more impact if they played her off of Ash longer, or if they'd saved it until this season.   Her character feels like it was written as they went along much more than Ruby's for me.  Such a waste of Jill's talent, too.

Imagine if they'd had it that Ash had already been dating Amanda for like a month or something (this flies in the face of the "fuck 'n' run" iteration of Ash they wanted, but bear with me), and he knows she's a cop but he's groovy with it. Now, once the Deadites start spreading and the stuff happens to Amanda just as it did (her partner dies/everything the same) and she starts investigating, finding Ash to be responsible and thus it becomes this great element of her being torn between her duty and her love for Ash--and what she worries he might be that she didn't realize (a monster). Meanwhile, Ash tries to hide the truth from her as he already has been, and runs to try to keep Amanda out of his way so the Deadites won't target her. Also so she won't arrest him, haha

Not only would that have given the relationship the grounding it needed to really hit home in episode 8, but it would have made all of their interactions more potent.

Such a simple change, but it affects a lot. Now I wish that's what they'd done!
 
Joem1k said:
I'm gonna be very honest here, i just could not get into amanda's character, yes the potential was there and JMJ bless her soul did a great job playing her the best she could with the script she was given, and in the commentary tracks she sounded like she had a blast working on s1 with everyone, when you get to 6/7/8 on the commentary tracks, you'll see what i mean. 

Out of the 5 main characters, amanda was the least interesting of the 5, i just could not connect with her because of how jumbled and confusing her character was cause she kept flip flopping a lot and her love story with ash just didn't click with me, while her death was shocking and it served as a grave reminder that this is still ED and anyone is fair game to dieing at a moments notice, it was still a shame i just couldn't connect amanda enough to really care about the impact of her death. 

the original script for ep 1 (which can be found in the original thread for "El JEFE" on the last page), her character seemed like she was going to be playing a much bigger part in story but i have a feeling once they brought in lucy to play ruby they shifted focus on her character during the re-writes and basically became a backseat to ruby's storyline,  that's probably what killed most of her storyline / character in the process.

The problem with Amanda is that she just doesn't get fleshed out to a believable degree.  Even Ruby gets that much.

And yep, re-reading suggests it was just supposed to be Amanda chasing Ash and Pablo and Kelly and the conflict was going to be a little more complex.  Oh well.

DocLathropBrown said:
MaidOfKandar said:
I really feel like Amanda was such a lost opportunity.  It's like they realized they needed to shoehorn in a love interest for Ash somehow so they shrugged and cut her character arc short.  I get that it's Evil Dead and no one is safe but her death would've had more impact if they played her off of Ash longer, or if they'd saved it until this season.   Her character feels like it was written as they went along much more than Ruby's for me.  Such a waste of Jill's talent, too.

Imagine if they'd had it that Ash had already been dating Amanda for like a month or something (this flies in the face of the "fuck 'n' run" iteration of Ash they wanted, but bear with me), and he knows she's a cop but he's groovy with it. Now, once the Deadites start spreading and the stuff happens to Amanda just as it did (her partner dies/everything the same) and she starts investigating, finding Ash to be responsible and thus it becomes this great element of her being torn between her duty and her love for Ash--and what she worries he might be that she didn't realize (a monster). Meanwhile, Ash tries to hide the truth from her as he already has been, and runs to try to keep Amanda out of his way so the Deadites won't target her. Also so she won't arrest him, haha

Not only would that have given the relationship the grounding it needed to really hit home in episode 8, but it would have made all of their interactions more potent.

Such a simple change, but it affects a lot. Now I wish that's what they'd done!

I love this idea a lot!
 
Here in Belgium the release is pushed back...
A site where I buy most of my blu-rays says december 14th...  :-/
Was hoping to watch it on blu-ray before the second season started.
 
Reznar said:
Here in Belgium the release is pushed back...
A site where I buy most of my blu-rays says december 14th...  :-/
Was hoping to watch it on blu-ray before the second season started.

The release will be on december 7th here in France.
 
Looks like they're shooting for a Christmas release across the board for region 2.
 
Top Bottom