Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E02: Bait Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
Now see, I wouldn't complain if the show wasn't so focused on beheading/head severing and/or headshots = ultimate Deadite extinction.  I know the trilogy has a lot of Deadite death variety - the point is that out of all of the Deadites we have head severing and headshots have been basically the ONLY way for Deadites to die in the series so far aside from Ash's boss getting smashed into that car.

And to be fair - Cheryl and Scott melted and Bad Ash exploded.

@Mardeadite: Henrietta keeps talking after her head's been severed in ED 2.

Exactly. By the way, Ash's boss getting smashed into the car was an intentional beheading too. Ash's intention with that move was always to sever his head from the body. Ash even says "yeah, thanks for the heads up" before doing it. I also wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if the show wasn't consistently trying to say that the only way to kill a deadite is by cutting off their heads. It never was. They're inventing new rules that directly contradict what we've seen in the films. Like I said, I'd prefer to have no rules at all than what they're doing.
 
@Mardeadite: Henrietta keeps talking after her head's been severed in ED 2.
Ah yes, I forgot about her, and that's one of my favourite scenes in ED2. Or the whole of the films, for that matter.

She did seem especially powerful even by Deadite standards though. Also, apart from the hand, she was the last one, so maybe the Force/Evil/Spirits* were trying especially hard.

Yeah, I doubt they put that much thought into it either.  Heh.

*I'm never quite clear it it's one force or lots of separate demons. In different parts of the films it is depicted differently.
"We are the things that were, and will be again.."
"This incantation causes it to take physical form...This opens a vortex to send it back...." (Not the exact words, but I'm sure you get the part I mean.)
It will be interesting to see if the series digs deeper into the mythology surrounding the Deadites and the book.

Actually next week looks like it might go down that route.
 
I'm surprised how many people don't like Amanda. Sure, she did basically nothing in the second episode, but I love her from the first one. As somebody mentioned earlier, she experienced something similar to what Ash experienced in the first movie, only she was already a bad ass with a gun who now wants to get to the bottom of all this. So I really like her so far.
 
Fun little bts photo from micheal (ep 2 director), bruce dosen't look to pleased with all that blood on him haha  :D

[img=400x300]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTQVnRIW4AAVse8.jpg:large[/img]

Source : https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett/status/663178809710104576
 
Hmmm. Quoting doesn't seem to work this morning...

Hurley- I like Amanda too so far. She was thrown in the deep end. She was mortally afraid. She was suddenly confronted with the fact the world is a much stranger place than she first thought. She also got  badly wounded, and she still killed two deadites!

As for her appearing at be half asleep this episode, to my mind she was still in a state of shock (understandably) and also trying to get her head around the situation. Hence her not appearing to be paying attention when the trailer park folk told her about Ash. (Yet she still heard them, repeating back what one of them said, when they challenged her.)


I also like the fact she isn't a sarcy girl with attitude which is often how strong women are portrayed. Her toughness comes from .... nutting up ;-) when she had to.
 
I just tried it again. I'm using my phone, so maybe it's an android thing. I touch the "quote" button, but it does nothing. I mean the one attached to posts, not the icon we can use manually when writing full posts.


Kain said:
Mardeadite said:
Hmmm. Quoting doesn't seem to work this morning...

Seems to work for me.

Okay. Maybe I'm being thick. I should have just clicked 'reply' instead like this time. I just thought that would reply without quoting since there is a quote button too.
 
Joem1k said:
Fun little bts photo from micheal (ep 2 director), bruce dosen't look to pleased with all that blood on him haha  :D

[img=400x300]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTQVnRIW4AAVse8.jpg:large[/img]

Source : https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett/status/663178809710104576

Pft, I love that picture.  Apparently he kept choking on the blood canon they were using for the effect.  That is the face of an uncomfortable man.

@Hurley - I like Amanda, her toughness, her sticktutiveness, the fact that she's so far not a cardboard "sassy woman"  - the problem is the storyline, which just seems to slow everything down for some reason.  It's just strangely dramatic and logy for something that's supposed to be lighter horror. IDK, the tone feels unsettled in some way I can't specify.

@Mardeadite - sometimes the quote function refuses to work for me if I select more than five posts to reply to! That might be it?
 
Positive point I forgot to mention:

+ second Hemingway reference in the franchise (as far as I know)
 
I really enjoyed this picture from Michael J. Bassett on Twitter. 

CTJkWKTUAAAhPs9.jpg:large


Even though when I commented on the picture of him and Mimi it got a response from Lucy Lawless which was really cool, and I agree with her as episode 1 and 2 were a good 1-2 punch. Now the next episode will not be written by Sam, and we will see how that works out in the end.
 
Nick el Ass said:
I really enjoyed this picture from Michael J. Bassett on Twitter. 

Even though when I commented on the picture of him and Mimi it got a response from Lucy Lawless which was really cool, and I agree with her as episode 1 and 2 were a good 1-2 punch. Now the next episode will not be written by Sam, and we will see how that works out in the end.

Not even the second episode was written by Sam - the only writer in the credits is Dominic Dierkes (Sam is credited only as the creator of the original character(s)). Or am I missing something?
 
Hurley said:
Nick el Ass said:
I really enjoyed this picture from Michael J. Bassett on Twitter. 

Even though when I commented on the picture of him and Mimi it got a response from Lucy Lawless which was really cool, and I agree with her as episode 1 and 2 were a good 1-2 punch. Now the next episode will not be written by Sam, and we will see how that works out in the end.

Not even the second episode was written by Sam - the only writer in the credits is Dominic Dierkes (Sam is credited only as the creator of the original character(s)). Or am I missing something?

You missed nothing. I on the other hand misread an article which had me thinking Sam was a co-writer for "Bait," but this was the first without Sam being involved. My apologies to Dominic Dierkes on that one. Now I feel dirty, and need to clean my shit up when it comes to talking about the show in that aspect.


/I'm pretty sure Michael J. Bassett directs "Books from Beyond." 
//There I feel better.
 
Nick el Ass said:
You missed nothing. I on the other hand misread an article which had me thinking Sam was a co-writer for "Bait," but this was the first without Sam being involved. My apologies to Dominic Dierkes on that one. Now I feel dirty, and need to clean my shit up when it comes to talking about the show in that aspect.


/I'm pretty sure Michael J. Bassett directs "Books from Beyond." 
//There I feel better.

I think it was in the IGN review that Sam wrote the episode, which is why I thought there may be something I don't know. :)
 
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly which article I read about "Bait"... but IMDB lists Writers: Dominic Dierkes, Sam Raimi (developed for television by) which could be a little confusing to some if that is the source for anyone people covering the show. I just think my reading comprehension is off a bit.
 
Thought i'd have some fun and ask people who've watched this week's episode tell there favorite ash lines from the episode with a list from 1-5, Here's my list. 

1.
"Oh Good, i was starting to feel like a real dick"

2.
"Thanks for the HEADS up !"

3.
"I was like you once, Young, Dumb.....Conflicting emotions..."


4.
"Maybe you were hunting the wrong deer..."

5.
"Goodnight mother...."


Plus some well hidden references or deadite trickery i picked up on from people talking about this episode. 

During the lullaby fake out scene, there is a certain violin cue in the score that may have been a reference  in ED1 to when ash starts to go insane from linda driving him mad and he starts to drag her out of the cabin.

When the thunder hit's during the dinner scene, suzy's chair get's slightly closer to ash's side of the table. 

There's certain subtle noises that suzy's character makes and subtle fly's that buzz around her  that you see and hear during the dinner scene and the first time they interact. 

If you look around kelly's room there is some horror posters hanging about.

A lot of hidden stuff in this episode, it really amazes me they can hide all of this stuff in just 30 minutes worth of a episode.
 
If you look closely at Kelly's rings in the first two episodes they spell out words so everyone should be on the look out for more little things like that in future episodes of AvED.  


<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ep1 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KellysRings?src=hash">#KellysRings</a> spelled FREE. Ep2 spelled HERE. <a href="https://twitter.com/deadite1212">@deadite1212</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Renaissance_Wmn">@Renaissance_Wmn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AshvsEvilDead?src=hash">#AshvsEvilDead</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KellyMaxwell?src=hash">#KellyMaxwell</a> <a href="https://t.co/5n4yVh8lVB">pic.twitter.com/5n4yVh8lVB</a></p>&mdash; Dana DeLorenzo (@ImDanaDeLorenzo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImDanaDeLorenzo/status/663444824972914688">November 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

CTUHjHFUcAAqEA0.jpg:large
 
[size=xx-large]There's certain subtle noises that suzy's character makes and subtle fly's that buzz around her  that you see and hear during the dinner scene and the first time they interact. [/size]

[size=xx-large]I noticed the fly! But then I wondered if it was just misdirection.[/size]
 
Dropping by real quick to throw the third episode's trailer in!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZvpLFPJcA[/video]
 
Top Bottom