Ash Vs Evil Dead S01E01: El Jefe Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
Yeah, the script choices here actually make more sense.  And the idea of it being a yearly curse is interesting too!

Yeah, I think it's great too. It also makes more sense with the S-Mart ending of the Army of Darkness. Though I understand why they didn't use this. They needed to start fresh for the new viewers, they needed to release the Evil again, not just say it's been there the whole time.

But still it's an interesting idea non the less.
 
One thing I am glad of: their inclusion of the first film in the continuity in the broadcast version. In the script above, the reference seems to just come from Evil Dead 2, much like the introductory scene of AoD. I.e. Ash just refers to taking his girlfriend to the cabin. And the backflashes referenced are from that film.

In the broadcast version, Ash mentions going to.the cabin with his friends, and the backflashes are a medley from both films. I wonder if they did not have the rights to the Evil Dead footage when that earlier script was written.
 
@Mardeadite - I'm pretty sure that ED2 is probably the most easily accessible for them - they probably signed away a fewer amount of rights to it and can likely allow or disallow what they needed to.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Well.  That was....

...Less fun than I thought it would be.


THANK YOU!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the same with the the first episode. I was extremely  disappointed with it.

* The way Ash unleashed the evil is just as cheap and sloppy as I feared it would be.  Pot doesn't do that.  It's not a hallucinogen like that, it doesn't make you act like you're freaking drunk and force you to lose all control of your reasoning.

^^ This is the main reason why I'm disappointed with the show and I'm glad you didn't like this either. This, for me, ruins the show; to the point that I almost shut it off.

I never thought of Ash as a pot smoker, for starters, but having him do this and read from the book makes Ash look so dumb.
(I know that Sam, Rob, Bruce and some fans enjoy Ash being an idiot, but I never saw him that way. I'm a hardcore Evil Dead fan myself, but with the first two films, Ash is a normal guy and is put through extraordinary circumstances. With Evil Dead 2, he transforms into this bad-ass hero and fulfills a prophecy for God sakes! By AOD, for some reason, they made him an idiot and went from there. I'll never understand why they never went back to they way Ash was by the end of Evil Dead 2.)
The trilogy are very personal films for me; I look at them differently than most fans, I feel. By having Ash do this craps on the trilogy for me and now we're stuck with a moron trying to redeem himself.

It's sad that the Evil Dead video games do a better job at unleashing the evil than the show does.

I also feel that since Bruce is a self-proclaimed, "working stoner" that I can't help but feel that he wanted that scene in there for whatever reason.
(Call me old-fashioned, but I was very surprised to hear about this. Personally, I don't touch the stuff, but c'mon Bruce, it's fine that you do it, but don't shove it in my face with you're interview in High Times.)

POST MORTUM:

It wasn't terrible, but MAN did it not deserve the overweening praise it's gotten in the press, and I didn't have nearly as much fun as I hoped I might. I did not laugh much, was not scared, and didn't have as much fun as I wanted to.

Overall, I feel that it doesn't live up to the trilogy that paves way for it. I've only seen the first episode ( I don't have cable and saw the pilot on Facebook) I don't think that I'll continue watching it. I'll stick with the trilogy.
 
My best advice is to try out the sixth episode, which is the best one they've done so far!
 
Top Bottom