Ash vs Evil Dead S01E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
God what a chilling clip too watch, just seeing ash there again after 30 years still shocks me.
https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/677926306349060096

Wow, this actually successfully built atmosphere.  Bruce's line reading feels...weird though at the end?  I don't know, because everything else from that clip works actingwise.


Joem1k said:
Kain said:
Starz really loves spoiling things way in advance...

ash-evil-dead-2-shot-812x522.jpg

Makes me wonder if evil ash ain't going to be the one to put the axe in amanda..., god i hope his a recurring character for season 2

I was gonna say, that's pretty clearly from episode 9

That's the most literal way ever for them to pull the "who can Pablo and Kelly trust?"stuff without getting Bruce into heavy SFX make-up.

Joem1k said:
Nick el Ass said:
Kain said:
Starz really loves spoiling things way in advance...

Yeah, I would think if there was any episode to keep things under wraps would be this one with the cabin... but they seem to enjoy spoiling the hell out of things.

They have actually have been doing fairly decent job in keeping these episodes under lock and key and not showing a whole lot, atleast 2 clips were dropped for this episode today and we only got about 8 still's for this weeks episode as well. The only thing we have gotten any info about these episodes so far is through very vauge details from the cast members and subtle clips in the BTS videos or 1 second clips from commercials, this was probably the biggest thing they have revealed from this arc, let's hope that this is the only thing that there revealing.

I actually agree with Kain and Nick, they did a terrible job about covering for the surprise of the cabin (again, the actors were DOING NETWORK PROMOS IN FRONT OF IT and were trucking the facsimile around along with the trailer to cons), Lucy kept blurting out the twist with Ruby in the press, the fact that they leaked the episode capsules months in advance which spilled the Fish/Ash AND the cabin twist, etc.

As for 

The whole bad Ash/good Ash redux

I'm hoping it'll at least be fun and make the revisiting of the theme worthwhile.

I'm just disappointing that there appears to be no full-out possession of Ash happening at this point, though I'm sure it will happen deeper into the series.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

MaidOfKandar said:
Wow, this actually successfully built atmosphere.  Bruce's line reading feels...weird though at the end?  I don't know, because everything else from that clip works actingwise.

It was very well directed and Bruce's reaction was great. I saw a glimpse of AoD Ash in there. The thing I like the most about it is the feeling that danger is all around and that it can come from the most innocent looking, unexpected places. The bird going all deadite actually caught Ash off-guard. It was surprising both to the character and to me. That's pure Evil Dead and it's something that's been sorely missing from the show until now. All of those other dead animals around show a potential that's probably not going to be fulfilled, but even so, that moment was very good. I'm really hoping we see more of that before the end of the season.

About the line reading at the end, I don't have a problem with the actual delivery. It's just that the line is kind of a cliche, but I'm actually fine with it. It's not really that bad.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

DyD said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Wow, this actually successfully built atmosphere.  Bruce's line reading feels...weird though at the end?  I don't know, because everything else from that clip works actingwise.

It was very well directed and Bruce's reaction was great. I saw a glimpse of AoD Ash in there. The thing I like the most about it is the feeling that danger is all around and that it can come from the most innocent looking, unexpected places. The bird going all deadite actually caught Ash off-guard. It was surprising both to the character and to me. That's pure Evil Dead and it's something that's been sorely missing from the show until now. All of those other dead animals around show a potential that's probably not going to be fulfilled, but even so, that moment was very good. I'm really hoping we see more of that before the end of the season.

About the line reading at the end, I don't have a problem with the actual delivery. It's just that the line is kind of a cliche, but I'm actually fine with it. It's not really that bad.

I'm really liking the unpredictable nature that this episode is bringing to table, i legit jumped when the bird turned into a deadite, i really hope that they keep this mood and atmosphere up for the rest of this arc.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Episode is up on starzplay/on demand

https://www.starzplay.com/
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

You guys are going to be f**king amazed by this episode, ITS F**KING EVIL DEAD 4. HOLY SHIT i can't even process what i just saw right now, BEST EPISODE OF THIS SERIES, PLEASE BRING BACK THE WRITER AND DIRECTOR OF THIS EPISODE MY GOD. They knocked it out of the f**king park with this episode.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

WELL WAS THIS THE BEST EPISODE YET OR WAS IT?!
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Hurley said:
WELL WAS THIS THE BEST EPISODE YET OR WAS IT?!

They just fucking hit it out of the park into the f**king atmosphere, i don't even know were to start with this one
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
You guys are going to be fucking amazed with this episode, ITS FUCKING EVIL DEAD. HOLY SHIT i can't even think right now, BEST EPISODE OF THIS SERIES PLEASE BRING BACK THE WRITER AND DIRECTOR OF THIS EPISODE MY GOD. They knocked it out of the f**king park with this episode jesus.

The funny thing is that Michael J. Bassett wrote this episode. (he directed the second and third)
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

There is so much in this one episode, i just don't even know were to start with this one, my brain is just dead right now


I just wanted to know, was sam rami on set for these episodes or something cause i still can't believe Tony and Micheal pulled this first cabin episode off with a bang, i was legit worried this was gonna fall flat on its ass.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

I would just like to say, bruce campbell and jill maire jones did a amazing job in this episode, i thought i was going to hate it that ash wasn't going to be there alone but jill actually stepped up  her game in this episode with him and sold me on her character (i wish i could have been like this for the first half) .
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Just wanna point one thing out from the side plot.

There's a scene were kelly is talking with the bleached blond chick , and she brings up the question "Are you two together or ?" and kelly immediately says "no" to her and soon after she's says this the blond chick immediately want's to snuggle up with him for the night, then kelly stop's for a moment with a very pissed off look and says "his got a girlfriend though...", i knew she had feelings for him I KNEW IT *victory jump*

Ok now that little moment is out of the way *cough*

Evil ash, good lord did they make him quite the creepy evil bastard in this show, i actually pefer this evil ash over the AOD one, his alot more sinister ,manipulative, and just down right menacing. I really hope they keep him around for the next season
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is the best episode so far.  This is exactly what I expected from the series.  Two first episodes were strong and Killer of Killers too but this one is clearly an highlight.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Holy shit, fantastic.


MaidOfKandar said:
Joem1k said:
God what a chilling clip too watch, just seeing ash there again after 30 years still shocks me.
https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/677926306349060096

Wow, this actually successfully built atmosphere.  Bruce's line reading feels...weird though at the end?  I don't know, because everything else from that clip works actingwise.


Joem1k said:
Kain said:
Starz really loves spoiling things way in advance...

ash-evil-dead-2-shot-812x522.jpg

Makes me wonder if evil ash ain't going to be the one to put the axe in amanda..., god i hope his a recurring character for season 2

I was gonna say, that's pretty clearly from episode 9

That's the most literal way ever for them to pull the "who can Pablo and Kelly trust?"stuff without getting Bruce into heavy SFX make-up.

Joem1k said:
Nick el Ass said:
Kain said:
Starz really loves spoiling things way in advance...

Yeah, I would think if there was any episode to keep things under wraps would be this one with the cabin... but they seem to enjoy spoiling the hell out of things.

They have actually have been doing fairly decent job in keeping these episodes under lock and key and not showing a whole lot, atleast 2 clips were dropped for this episode today and we only got about 8 still's for this weeks episode as well. The only thing we have gotten any info about these episodes so far is through very vauge details from the cast members and subtle clips in the BTS videos or 1 second clips from commercials, this was probably the biggest thing they have revealed from this arc, let's hope that this is the only thing that there revealing.

I actually agree with Kain and Nick, they did a terrible job about covering for the surprise of the cabin (again, the actors were DOING NETWORK PROMOS IN FRONT OF IT and were trucking the facsimile around along with the trailer to cons), Lucy kept blurting out the twist with Ruby in the press, the fact that they leaked the episode capsules months in advance which spilled the Fish/Ash AND the cabin twist, etc.

As for 

The whole bad Ash/good Ash redux

I'm hoping it'll at least be fun and make the revisiting of the theme worthwhile.

I'm just disappointing that there appears to be no full-out possession of Ash happening at this point, though I'm sure it will happen deeper into the series.

I think they are right to spoil the cabin, I don't think any of us wanted an evil dead show where the cabin wasn't involved, the "spoiler" simply put the issue to rest. As far as Ruby, being Annies sister, that might not be a spoiler at all, just what they wanted everyone to think.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

The episode was alright. It was good, but not great. Certainly a major improvement and possibly the best episode in the show so far, but still heavily flawed and very inconsistent. It's not quite there yet. All the problems I have with the show are still there, but at least there was some very good stuff in it to counterpoint. The directing was good and there were a lot of original, interesting ideas scattered throughout the script, but the dialogue and character interactions still suck and the storytelling is still very contrived. On to more specific things:

- I really hope they don't bring Amanda back as a living, normal person. They did precisely squat with her character until now and I was beginning to feel annoyed by her mere presence on the show, but her death actually packed a punch and meant something for Ash. I can only imagine what could've been if they had actually developed her character a little bit more before this episode. As of now, she's a better character dead than living. Bringing her back to life as anything other than a deadite would negate the only development her character had and also ruin some of Ash's development. If there's one thing I don't want to see in Evil Dead is a way to reverse death.

- I know a lot of people are game for the Pablo and Kelly "Ross/Rachel" dynamic. I still don't care about it one bit and I feel there's no place for that kind of sitcom romance/conflict on this show.

- So Ash's hand grew another Ash. That's cool. But am I the only one bothered by the fact that it also grew clothes and dentures?
Also, Amanda cutting off Evil Ash's hand and normal Ash getting his stump hurt in two completely unconnected moments was awfully convenient to set up the "who's the real Ash" scene that's obviously coming next episode. No big deal, though. It's contrived storytelling, but it's alright. Evil Ash is actually cool and I just love seeing Bruce acting against himself.


- Linda's scene was good, but I honestly didn't think it was all it could be. Maybe she could've gotten more demonic and aggressive towards the end of the scene?

- That last kiss Ash gave Amanda while she was dying felt kinda creepy and out of place.

All in all, this is a step in the right direction. It was miles better than everything else we've seen so far, but the writing and some of the execution are still a little off. I honestly think there's no salvaging this season anymore. The damage is already done. All I can hope for is a couple of fun episodes and a few very "Evil Dead-ish" moments here and there. At least on that front, this episode actually delivered. Here's hoping it only gets better from now on and that it ends on a good note. My updated season ranking:

1. Ashes to Ashes - 3.5/5
2. Bait - 3.5/5
3. The Killer of Killers - 3/5
4. El Jefe - 2.5/5
5. Books from Beyond - 2/5
6. Brujo - 1.5/5
7. The Host - 1/5
8. Fire in the Hole - 0.5/5
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

DyD said:
- I know a lot of people are game for the Pablo and Kelly "Ross/Rachel" dynamic. I still don't care about it one bit and I feel there's no place for that kind of sitcom romance/conflict on this show.

Agree.  Hope they will not play this game too long.  But if a new love bring death (Kelly's Death in particular) I'm all for it.  This could help developing Pablo's character.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

I don't think there gonna kill kelly and pablo off simply because they have  both become such a crucial part to this show and  (i won't throw out the possibility of one of them dieing in a future season) it just wouldn't feel right without them, i do think that both of them are gonna be put through the ringer and spat out before this arc is over with, just seeing what happened with amanda makes me very worried with what the cabin will do to pablo and kelly overall  :s (yes i'm very invested in both these character's.)

@DyD

I do have to agree with you on Amanda, i wish they would have done more with her for the early part of this season, but atleast she got a good episode to go out on, plus the kiss in my eye's made sense and didn't feel out of place for me, it's the first and last kiss for these two, you could call it a kiss of death but that might be reading too much into it. Overall i thought it was very good emotional scene between the two, but my god i still can't get over just how more disturbing and evil they made evil ash in this show, i really hope they bring him back for season 2.

now about evil ash getting clothes and dentures, i think some things are best left unexplained in this situation and just  throw any logic out the window at this point in the show.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
I don't think there gonna kill kelly and pablo off simply because they have  both become such a crucial part to this show and  (i won't throw out the possibility of one of them dieing in a future season) it just wouldn't feel right without them, i do think that both of them are gonna be put through the ringer and spat out before this arc is over with, just seeing what happened with amanda makes me very worried with what the cabin will do to pablo and kelly overall  :s (yes i'm very invested in both these character's.)

@DyD


now about evil ash getting clothes and dentures, i think some things are best left unexplained in this situation and just  throw any logic out the window at this point in the show.

I don't think it gonna happen soon but there's place for hope.  Kelly's character is not so crucial to the story so far.  She doesn't have any special connection or skill like Pablo and Ash with the occult.  Ash got the experience and Pablo still have a piece of heritage from Brujo.  That's much more than looking for revenge and being a love interest.  The character is already wasted by her lack of intensity.  She could have been very interesting character, but her story is not evolving so much.  She didn't seem to have learned or earned something from her parent's death or the possession.  She's just pissed off and annoying.  One positive thing I can say, she give Pablo courage and more confidence.  So if her purpose is to make other character evolve, she should be replaceable at some point in the story.  
 
Everyone around Ash should be expendable without exception.  I don't want AvED to be like the Walking Dead, but I think it could be much more exciting if you don't who's going to live or die around Ash.  

Amanda's death was a bit earlier than expected.  I just think they killed the wrong character. She know how to fight and investigate.  She got the perfect background to complete the team.  

About the clothes.  Same thing happened in Army of Darkness when Ash split up.  One of them should have been naked.  So it fit the logic of the series and I agree, we don't really need an explanation for this.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

Wow, what an nostalgic episode! They did a really fantastic job with the cabin.

I didn't think they would kill off Amanda so fast.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

SStarting to feel like those who are overly critical of the how are deadites themselves torturing those of us who legitimately enjoy the series for what it is.

This episode was not only the best thus far but legitimately awesome. Lots of stuff fans have been yearning to see/experience happened in this ep. 


Everything was top-notch, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the action, the lines. This is shaping up to be one incredible season finale.

I just wish I wasn't so geeky that I spoiled stuff for myself by listening to Joe's amazing score. 

Am I the only one who got hit with a wave of emotions? Nostalgia,  fear, excitement, sadness, etc?

Chills were sent up and down my spine.
 
RE: Ash vs Evil Dead S01 E08: Ashes to Ashes Discussion [SPOILERS]

How did Amanda, Pablo, and Kelly know where to find the cabin? At the end of last week's episode Amanda asks "Where exactly is this cabin Ash?" and how did they get there if Ash took their ride?

Seems like every episode has a seed it plants for the next one. Tonight's episode seems to have the journal of the doctor speak of the Khandarian dagger touching the flesh of the book. It seems to seer the the book which is what Ruby says that she will have to dismantle the book. Loved tonight's episode. So many memories from ash resurfacing. Never would have seen the hand forming a new Ash coming. Should be great to see how that fight ends next week. Wish it did that in Evil dead 2 instead of Army of Darkness. Strange Ash didn't see himself in the mirror again tonight rather Amanda remembered her partner's voice. Also can't believe Amanda didn't make it pas tonight's episode. Looking forward to seeing her as a deadite in next week's episode.

For next week's episode I think Ruby is talking to the demonic Hand version of Ash so we may not even see Ruby with the real Ash next week. I see her holding the severed head of the male hiker from tonight's episode with the other hand holding the knife. Guessing he turned into a deadite.
 
Top Bottom