Ash vs Evil Dead S01E09: Bound in the Flesh Discussion [SPOILERS]

Joem1k said:
DyD said:
- What was the AoD reference that everyone's talking about? I seemed to have missed it. =/

When ash is talking about cutting up his evil twin he subtly hint's that he has had to do it before, and there's also another AOD reference in the finale promo. It's when they cut to the book it show's the familiar passage showing ash back in medieval time's

I do have to agree that some of the writing for ash in this episode was going over the line in some area's, especially considering with what happen with amanda last episode and the emotional impact it did have on him, but the way he was acting in this episode makes me wonder if he hasn't gone a bit nut's in his old age or the guy writing this episode (Rob Wright) only watched a few minute's of last week's episode and just decided to write down pervy jokes for him to say about amanda, WHO KNOWS *shrug*

Oh, right... Stupid me. I did notice that. That was a smart way of referencing it, very subtle. The way it was written, it could be interpreted two different ways. It could mean that Ash literally had to dismember an evil twin before (as we all know he had to), but it could also be interpreted as in "I've seen so much weird, crazy stuff in my life already that this feels normal, FML". Very smart way of throwing an AoD reference in there without actually going into detail about it. I also liked the "Maybe I should mount this on a wall" line. That one felt very Ash-like, I must admit. Concerning the page of the book that shows Ash in medieval times, I see that as a reference to Evil Dead 2, not AoD. Don't forget that Ash ends up in medieval times by the end of Evil Dead 2 and the whole "hero from the skies, as prophesied by the book" comes from that film, actually. My guess is that they can say he went to the past, but they can't directly mention anything that happened while he was there or how he came back. Movie rights are weird like that.

What you said about the writer only watching a few minutes of last week's episode before writing this one is pretty much how I felt about the entire season so far. It really feels like DiGregorio never took the time to set a solid narrative guideline for the writers and they never actually communicated with each other. The episodes feel kinda disconnected (specially when it comes to the character arcs, the tone and small details) and like each of the writers was free to do whatever they wanted with very little adherence to what came before. Oh, that reminds me of another small nitpick: Ash's mechanical hand is suddenly fixed and now can attach itself to the chainsaw, and not a single word of explanation was given about that. Yes, that's way cooler and way more practical, but it's also one more detail to include in the ever growing list of dismissive, lazy writing. Stuff just magically happens when it needs to.
 
Not really getting the opposition between Ruby and Amanda in tonight's episode. Amanda says, "We can still be together if you want." To which Ruby replies, "Well I'd like that. But our time has not yet come." Does who ever inhabiting Ruby know the demon possessing Amanda's body? Why does the book not want it's face ripped off and turned into a demon that will (assuming) use Pablo as a body to move around in as a facemask. Throughout the entire series we're learning that the deadites don't want whatever is inhabiting Ruby to get the book. Tonight, Amanda's demon wants to be with her. She wrote the book that is letting all these demonic possessions happen and unleash hell on earth. Anyone noticing too much opposition from the deadites to Ruby too?

Maybe Ruby is a Knobi from from the past who wrote the book? If Ash time traveled to the past. Maybe she time traveled from the past to the future?

And I agree,lots of pervert jokes in tonight's episode.
Pablo "Let her take your load Heffe."
 
You know, if he would have stripped his clone he could have had yet another pair of blue shirt and brown pants that mysteriously get clean between episodes.

Anyone notice the look of disappointment on Kelly's face when Pablo and Heather hold hands?

What if the necklace Pablo is wearing is somehow channeling the spirit of the Brujo and the mask is now making Pablo channel his uncle. Might be their only chance for vanquishing the evil Ruby is brining their way. <--Writers pay attention for possible plot twist.
 
Robo Rider said:
Not really getting the opposition between Ruby and Amanda in tonight's episode. Amanda says, "We can still be together if you want." To which Ruby replies, "Well I'd like that. But our time has not yet come." Does who ever inhabiting Ruby know the demon possessing Amanda's body? Why does the book not want it's face ripped off and turned into a demon that will (assuming) use Pablo as a body to move around in as a facemask. Throughout the entire series we're learning that the deadites don't want whatever is inhabiting Ruby to get the book. Tonight, Amanda's demon wants to be with her. She wrote the book that is letting all these demonic possessions happen and unleash hell on earth. Anyone noticing too much opposition from the deadites to Ruby too?

I have no idea. I guess we'll find out more about all of that in the final episode. At least I hope we will, because as of now, none of that stuff makes the slightest lick of sense.
 
Glad I wasn't the only one dumbfounded by this episode.


So many questions about Ruby come to mind from this episode. She can come back to life from being burned alive, Deadites want her dead because they accused her of being a double crosser. One deadites spirit wants to be with her but she doesn't seem to feel it's time yet. She wrote the book which tells me whatever spirit is in her is very old. She has knowledge of modern age technology so maybe this spirit has been with her a long time? She acts like she wants to destroy the book yet in plain site of Ash and the others she reads from it to call out who knows what. Even though she wrote the book, Ash needs to transfer the power of ownership to Ruby.
 
IMAGE AND CLIP DUMP FROM STARZ SITE FOR "THE DARK ONE"


Images

https://starz.imgix.net/Originals/AshVsEvilDead/Season1/carousel/NextOn/110home_2560x1440.jpg?w=1024&h=576

https://starz.imgix.net/Originals/AshVsEvilDead/Season1/carousel/NextOn/110show_2560x1440.jpg?w=1024&h=576

https://starz.imgix.net/Originals/AshVsEvilDead/MostImportantEpisode/110_2560x1440.jpg?w=1024&h=576 

Clip's

http://preview-ng.starz.com/p/originals_marquee/org7854_15_ce/org7854_15_ce_ep110_1920x1080_1_720_2375kbps.mp4


https://www.starz.com/originals/ashvsevildead/video/55b15418c8b044efaac4aa4b280dedca (EXTENDED PREVIEW FOR FINALE, HOLY F**K)
 
Kain said:
Wow, that episode was nuts.

So Ruby actually wrote the book or is she possessed by the Dark One who possessed her/or made some kind of deal with her when she went looking for her family at the cabin?

I'm guessing it's the latter.  Either way the DO had to take on a human form to reach this plain of existence or claim some kind of flesh, so it's likely that the Ruby body was once someone else entirely.  Which is too bad, because I love efficient badass hunter Ruby.

Hurley said:
OK, watched it for the second time and besides some nitpicks like some of the dialogue and a few weird shots (AKA flying Ruby), I only have two major complaints for this episode.

One: the way Kelly and Pablo recognized the real Ash makes absolutely no sense. It would be Evil Ash, not the real one, who would want both of them to die, because the Evil spirit doesn't care if it dies (and we actually saw Deadites with suicidal tendencies in the past). Also Ash wouldn't sacrifice himself. No fucking way.

Two: this complaint is maybe a bit more personal, but I'm interested in what you guys think about it: I just don't like the talking Necronomicon. It felt weird for me in the comics and it feels weird for me here, like some unnecessary attempt to have a villain with a face (pun intended). What do you think?

Other than that and some other few tiny flaws, a wonderful episode. I loved the dismembering scene with the song (I also liked the end credit song and the fact that they actually left it for the end credits) and all of the Amanda action. And I'm also really starting to like Heather. Think I'm actually gonna be sad when she will be killed off next week.

And one other thing: this episode had some wonderful Joseph LoDuca music, but in some cases, I noticed them only because I knew the songs from the soundtrack (for example Amanda Returns) and it was really difficult to hear them in the episode. Maybe I just have a poor audio quality and it will be better with the Blu-Ray 5.1 sound. Or maybe they could just turn LoDuca's music a tiny bit up in the series.

I think the audio/dialogue mix is a little off for some reason and has been for awhile?  I don't know what it is but the surround sound is eh.  I'm watching the show from somewhere other than home tonight and it popped out at me for the first time tonight that it's wonky.

DyD said:
Joem1k said:
DyD said:
- What was the AoD reference that everyone's talking about? I seemed to have missed it. =/

When ash is talking about cutting up his evil twin he subtly hint's that he has had to do it before, and there's also another AOD reference in the finale promo. It's when they cut to the book it show's the familiar passage showing ash back in medieval time's

I do have to agree that some of the writing for ash in this episode was going over the line in some area's, especially considering with what happen with amanda last episode and the emotional impact it did have on him, but the way he was acting in this episode makes me wonder if he hasn't gone a bit nut's in his old age or the guy writing this episode (Rob Wright) only watched a few minute's of last week's episode and just decided to write down pervy jokes for him to say about amanda, WHO KNOWS *shrug*

Oh, right... Stupid me. I did notice that. That was a smart way of referencing it, very subtle. The way it was written, it could be interpreted two different ways. It could mean that Ash literally had to dismember an evil twin before (as we all know he had to), but it could also be interpreted as in "I've seen so much weird, crazy stuff in my life already that this feels normal, FML". Very smart way of throwing an AoD reference in there without actually going into detail about it. I also liked the "Maybe I should mount this on a wall" line. That one felt very Ash-like, I must admit. Concerning the page of the book that shows Ash in medieval times, I see that as a reference to Evil Dead 2, not AoD. Don't forget that Ash ends up in medieval times by the end of that movie. The whole "hero from the skies, predicted by the book" comes from Evil Dead 2, actually. My guess is that they can mention that he went to the past, but they can't directly touch on anything that happened while he was there or mention exactly how he came back. Movie rights are weird like that.

What you said about the writer only watching a few minutes of last week's episode before writing this one is pretty much how I felt about the entire season so far. It really feels like DiGregorio never took the time to set a solid narrative guideline for the writers and they never actually communicated with each other. The episodes feel kinda disconnected (specially when it comes to the character arcs, the tone and small details) and like each of the writers was free to do whatever they wanted with very little adherence to what came before. Oh, that reminds me of another small nitpick: Ash's mechanical hand is suddenly fixed and now can attach itself to the chainsaw, and not a single word of explanation was given about that. Yes, that's way cooler and way more practical, but it's also one more detail to include in the ever growing list of dismissive, lazy writing. Stuff just magically happens when it needs to.

I honestly think that might be the problem we're facing when it comes to tone coherence. I know it's Evil Dead and LOL what is coherence, but still.

Robo Rider said:
Not really getting the opposition between Ruby and Amanda in tonight's episode. Amanda says, "We can still be together if you want." To which Ruby replies, "Well I'd like that. But our time has not yet come." Does who ever inhabiting Ruby know the demon possessing Amanda's body? Why does the book not want it's face ripped off and turned into a demon that will (assuming) use Pablo as a body to move around in as a facemask. Throughout the entire series we're learning that the deadites don't want whatever is inhabiting Ruby to get the book. Tonight, Amanda's demon wants to be with her. She wrote the book that is letting all these demonic possessions happen and unleash hell on earth. Anyone noticing too much opposition from the deadites to Ruby too?

Maybe Ruby is a Knobi from from the past who wrote the book? If Ash time traveled to the past. Maybe she time traveled from the past to the future?

And I agree,lots of pervert jokes in tonight's episode.
Pablo "Let her take your load Heffe."

My best guess is that the two demons were lovers eons ago or something like that.  The show's not playing fair when it comes to how Dark Ones actually work.

Robo Rider said:
You know, if he would have stripped his clone he could have had yet another pair of blue shirt and brown pants that mysteriously get clean between episodes.

Anyone notice the look of disappointment on Kelly's face when Pablo and Heather hold hands?

What if the necklace Pablo is wearing is somehow channeling the spirit of the Brujo and the mask is now making Pablo channel his uncle. Might be their only chance for vanquishing the evil Ruby is brining their way. <--Writers pay attention for possible plot twist.

I do believe that it's going to make him channel a Deadite judging from his behavior in the trailer.

Time For Missy's Opinion(TM)

I feel like I liked this one significantly less than everyone else and it was a let down compared to last week but eh.


The Good:

* I actually laughed more at this episode than I have at the past eight combined.  It's almost like Rob Wright just gave the hell up for half of it and started satirizing the shit out of the tropes going on (the hikers, Ash dismembering Evil Ash to the tune of Just the Two of Us, Pablo and Kelly lampshading Ash's racism, etc.) until the big Ruby reveal.  It was weirdly fourth-wall-ish and I don't know - there was almost some kind of weird contempt for the subject matter going on half the time.  I loved it.  

* I actually felt bad for a freaking evil Demonic book watching it get skinned.  IDK what that says when I actually laughed at the useless dead hikers dying in the same episode.

* Pablo suddenly ending up in a horror version of the Mask was pure Evil Dead.  Pablo remains the only thoroughly likable character we have, so I feel bad for the dude.

* Team Ash being a team, and the little backstory bits we got with Pablo and Kelly were funny and make sense. 


The Ehhh:

* Them making Ruby a Dark One seems like an easy cop-out or it could be cool.  Either way, saw it coming after the, tho I hoped they'd somehow subvert the trope of her being that, but there you go (and tons of people already called it, Joe doing it first so all nods to Joe).

* i adored Deadite Amanda and her dead person puppet show, but dear god was her makeup awful.  Did they not hire somebody who knows how to do prosthetics on POC people?

* Talking Nec was interestingly done, but Comics Already Did It.  And Better.  And I hated that comic arc, so.

* The way this episode transitioned us back from horror into horror comedy.  Evil Dead 2 did this by making the humor blacker.  But we keep slamming between ED horror and AOD comedy and the transitions are weird and jarring.

* The heavily lampshaded the obvious deaths of most of the hikers, so I wasn't shocked when they finally happened.  Blonde girl still hasn't stepped up beyond her being obvious fodder/reason for Kelly and Pablo to be jealous, so I am not invested in her.  Nice broken leg makeup on her tho.


The NOOOO:

* The "LOL Ash is racist but not against Asians" joke.  It doesn't even know why that was a necessary plot point to the point where racism is suddenly a defining character trait for Ash -  other than a desperate attempt at searching for controversy -  but it didn't even make sense. It might've made sense in the original draft of the show where Ash was making constant immigration jokes about Pablo (apparently and allegedly) but in this version of the show? He just got out of a "Relationship" with a black woman.  His best friend is latinx.  He made one churro joke in episode 3 and there was some lampshaded stuff in the pilot.  It stopped being a major trait around the third episode. 

* "Let's build Evil Ash up as a hugely formidable foe who does ugly, terrible things to people!"  "No wait, let's kill him IMMEDIATELY via use of horrible CGI blood squibs!" "Yes, brilliant!"

* Ash talking about looking at Amanda's breasts while cutting her body up.  Remember how it was neat to have a dividing line between something Evil Ash would do and something regular Ash would do?  But I'm totally supposed to believe he was secretly in love with Amanda and wanted to run away with her to Florida, which is why he's almost jizzing in his pants over the idea of staring at corpse boobs.  Does he love her or is he perverted beyond rationality?  That's the only time I've actually recoiled from the screen after a line, but I won't give them credit for that because LOL search for some kind of hook to get public attention, I see you.  So now my favorite character is a racist necrophile, according to the show.  Thanks, show.  It's their quest to make him unlikable gone amok and I hated it.


Spec:
The Dark One Inhabiting Ruby and the Dark One inhabiting Amanda were lovers at some point.  Maybe they're the deadite version of fallen angels


Episode 10 specs

Looks like Ruby's going to cut Pablo's face off.  That's the big sacrifice he's going to make?

Also that's some straight-up replay of DMTH and Remake stuff in there.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Spec:
The Dark One Inhabiting Ruby and the Dark One inhabiting Amanda were lovers at some point.  Maybe they're the deadite version of fallen angels


Episode 10 specs

Looks like Ruby's going to cut Pablo's face off.  That's the big sacrifice he's going to make?



Actually i don't think it is, and more her using him as a gateway to summon thing's from the book, which i'm thinking that's were the creepy demon child is summoned by pablo vomiting him up through his mouth....oh god, and it looks kelly will be having a final showdown with someone in this finale, my bet is on her mother reappearing for this finale.
 
The "we can be together" stuff have nothing to do with demons. It's "Amanda", who's saying it to "Ruby" (which suggests that there is still Ruby somewhere in there). It's actually a reference to the scene in the car in the fifth episode, where Ruby is (creepily) hitting on Amanda. They actually reminded us of that scene in this episode's recap (AKA "Just keep on breathing" pick-up line).


BTW: According to Starz schedule, the final episode has 34 minutes, which is not actually that much longer (the pilot episode had 40). Does anyone have more specific info?
 
Hurley said:
The "we can be together" stuff have nothing to do with demons. It's "Amanda", who's saying it to "Ruby" (which suggests that there is still Ruby somewhere in there). It's actually a reference to the scene in the car in the fifth episode, where Ruby is (creepily) hitting on Amanda. They actually reminded us of that scene in this episode's recap (AKA "Just keep on breathing" pick-up line).


BTW: According to Starz schedule, the final episode has 34 minutes, which is not actually that much longer (the pilot episode had 40). Does anyone have more specific info?



I think missy mentioned earlier in this thread or a previous that it's 40 minutes through her dvr.

  
MaidofKandar

Can confirm, it's listed at 40 on my end.

Source : http://www.deadites.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=398&page=9
 
I just thought of something. The book started talking to Ash only after it came into contact with Evil Ash's blood, which suggests that it somehow activated it. And later when Ash is defacing the book, there is a lot of fresh blood involved which could belong to Evil Ash, whose blood the book somehow absorbed. So my point is that Pablo with the book face could be actually possessed by the spirit of Evil Ash, which could actually be interesting because Evil Ash knows all of Ash's secrets and he could be taunting Ash through Pablo ("this kid actually thinks of you as some kind of hero, but he's just gonna die for nothing because of you" - or something).

And by the way, I finally know what Pablo with the Necronomicon face reminds me of. :)

[img=600x338]http://sliptalk.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/51b512f0d62fd92891.jpg[/img]​
 
Hurley said:
Joem1k said:
Would that make ash curly then ?  :D

Now that's a fan art piece I'd want to see. :)

He's clearly Shemp  :D

Hurley said:
OK, watched it for the second time and besides some nitpicks like some of the dialogue and a few weird shots (AKA flying Ruby), I only have two major complaints for this episode.

One: the way Kelly and Pablo recognized the real Ash makes absolutely no sense. It would be Evil Ash, not the real one, who would want both of them to die, because the Evil spirit doesn't care if it dies (and we actually saw Deadites with suicidal tendencies in the past). Also Ash wouldn't sacrifice himself. No fucking way.

Two: this complaint is maybe a bit more personal, but I'm interested in what you guys think about it: I just don't like the talking Necronomicon. It felt weird for me in the comics and it feels weird for me here, like some unnecessary attempt to have a villain with a face (pun intended). What do you think?

Other than that and some other few tiny flaws, a wonderful episode. I loved the dismembering scene with the song (I also liked the end credit song and the fact that they actually left it for the end credits) and all of the Amanda action. And I'm also really starting to like Heather. Think I'm actually gonna be sad when she will be killed off next week.

And one other thing: this episode had some wonderful Joseph LoDuca music, but in some cases, I noticed them only because I knew the songs from the soundtrack (for example Amanda Returns) and it was really difficult to hear them in the episode. Maybe I just have a poor audio quality and it will be better with the Blu-Ray 5.1 sound. Or maybe they could just turn LoDuca's music a tiny bit up in the series.

'Cause I missed this - I couldn't believe that they actually went with the whole talking Nec thing almost directly derived from Dynamite.  I laughed a couple of times at it an felt sorrier for it than the hikers when it got skinned/died.  Which, I think, was not the show's intent. 

DyD said:
Yup. Best episode in the show so far (but that's not saying much). All in all, it was fun... And that's all I'm asking from this show at this point. I've already given up on it being actually good, but it can be fun. A few inventive ideas to be found and some unexpected stuff happened. That said, the character writing is still awful and the dialogue still sucks. Sorry, but nostalgia, ridiculous violence and a cool set are not enough to make me lose my mind over this thing. It's still very flawed, full of script and execution issues and even when they get something right, it still feels a little "off" to me. Like it's just trying to copy the Evil Dead feeling and energy instead of actually having it. I really hate what they turned Ash into. He's just a sleazy, racist, oblivious, stupid old man without a compelling character arc or clear motivations. As a matter of fact, his stupidity has turned into the show's equivalent of "a wizard did it". Every time something out of character, convenient or contrived happens, their justification for it seems to be "Ash is stupid, lol". I also don't care one bit about Pablo or Kelly and I hated Amanda. Ruby is still somewhat interesting, even though they haven't done much with her until now. Sorry to be the party pooper again, but I honestly feel there's nothing this season can do anymore to make me love it. I really wanted to like it, but I just can't get past how disappointed I am with how it turned out and the direction they decided to go with it. But I'm glad so many of you are invested in it and enjoying it thoroughly.

- Turns out I was wrong about the characters never leaving the front porch. Still seems like a really stupid thing to do, but I don't know what else they could've done with the hikers. "They're safer out there than in here". No. They're not, Ash. You out of all people, should know that.

- It kinda surprised me that Evil Ash went out like a chump and was taken out even before the title card came up. Also, the way they figured out who was the real Ash was kinda lame. That was a little disappointing, but no biggie. It's just that Bruce was doing such a great job with it and Evil Ash was such a cool presence that I wish they had done more with him.

- Turns out Amanda really is a better character dead than living. She was a cool deadite and I loved her little puppet show. However, I didn't think her make-up looked very good.

- The lighting on the exterior scenes felt wrong. Too much light. Too damn bright. Some shots were so bright that it looked like day.

- I really hope Ruby is possessed by a dark one instead of actually being one. Maybe she was taken by the dark one that was stalking her at the Brujo's place after she was dragged into the funeral pyre. The Ruby that came out of it wasn't really Ruby, but the dark one. I'd like that.

- Still not a single word of explanation on why/how Ash has the book and Ruby has the dagger. I'm just throwing that out there. I truly don't care anymore.

- The book's face attaching itself to Pablo's face was a cool moment and pretty inventive. I'm curious to see what it will lead to. Hopefully they'll actually do something interesting with it. The fact that next episode has double the running time is a good thing. Maybe that'll give them the opportunity to do some more elaborate stuff instead of being forced to solve everything they set up in a manner of minutes.

- Preview for next episode looks good, but some stuff in it kinda reminds me way too much of the ED remake. I hope it's just an impression.

- What was the AoD reference that everyone's talking about? I seem to have missed it. =/


Hurley said:
OK, watched it for the second time and besides some nitpicks like some of the dialogue and a few weird shots (AKA flying Ruby), I only have two major complaints for this episode.

One: the way Kelly and Pablo recognized the real Ash makes absolutely no sense. It would be Evil Ash, not the real one, who would want both of them to die, because the Evil spirit doesn't care if it dies (and we actually saw Deadites with suicidal tendencies in the past). Also Ash wouldn't sacrifice himself. No fucking way.

Two: this complaint is maybe a bit more personal, but I'm interested in what you guys think about it: I just don't like the talking Necronomicon. It felt weird for me in the comics and it feels weird for me here, like some unnecessary attempt to have a villain with a face (pun intended). What do you think?

Yeah, that flying Ruby shot was terrible, but it might make more sense next episode if it turns out she's possessed by a dark one. Still, it looked ridiculous... And not in a good way. Just a poorly conceived, poorly executed shot that ruined the moment.

I agree with you on both points. I also didn't like the way they figured out who was the real Ash and I wasn't very fond of the talking Necronomicon.

Coming back to comment because yeah, that's really how I feel about the choices they've made with Ash.  Then again I've always felt that Bruce and Sam's fantasy picture of Ash being the worst human being in the world is a product of their fevered imaginations/their resentments and never made it onto the screen until this happened.  

They're also trying to manufacture camp the same way they tried to manufacture atmosphere on the remake. Everyone's trying to force it into being and it just comes off as artifice.

RE the Dagger and Book; I Tweeted that and got radio silence, so either it's getting explained next week or not at all. Either way it's annoying me.

@Hurley - Yep, I called that Mask reference up post!
 
Why hasn't anyone questioned why Ruby says"If the book is buried like before..." How would she know it was buried at all for the first time? We all know it was found on a table in the cellar next to a torn Hills Have Eyes poster in the first film sitting next to the dagger of Kandar and then in the second film was just sitting on a table in the cabin near the old real player.
 
Buried in the ruins of Kandar before excavation by Prof. Knoby, maybe?
 
Robo Rider said:
Why hasn't anyone questioned why Ruby says"If the book is buried like before..." How would she know it was buried at all for the first time? We all know it was found on a table in the cellar next to a torn Hills Have Eyes poster in the first film sitting next to the dagger of Kandar and then in the second film was just sitting on a table in the cabin near the old real player.

Because she was probably referring to the Castle of Kandar where Raymond Knowby found the book and not the cabin.

I just wonder why Ruby and Ash didn't discussed about what happened in the cabin 30 years ago.  I mean no mention about Annie.  I thought she was seeking for revenge.  Maybe we will learn more in the finale...

I'm still confuse about Ruby character at this point.  Did a dark one possessed her when she was threw up in the flame?  I have my theory about this :


My guess is Ruby was so obsessed by revenge and grief that she made a pact with evil but it didn't turn at it supposed to be. The dark one take over her.  Pablo already told something to Kelly about revenge.  Something as : "It consume your soul".  I think this is what happened to Ruby.  If my guess is right, this give a lot of sense and meaning to a simple line.  
 
I'm wondering if it being in the rear chamber of Kandar Castle counts as it being buried.

ETA hah we all had the same thought at the same time.
 
Scutter cane, I'm watching last night's episode for the 10th time and just got that same line about Ruby cleaning his mess up for the past 30 years. She doesn't go into any details as to exactly what she has done as far as cleaning is concerned.

You have an interesting theory there. I had thought something similar to those lines but it gets thrown off by the fact that the deadites kept saying "We know who you are." Not that it's specifically unique only to her. It was also used on Amanda too. Come to think of it they like saying that a lot lol. What really throws off that theory is that Ruby says she wrote the book. If she's an immortal being burned alive can prove that) then she wrote the book ages ago and inhabited a body, any human body long ago. Unless she betrayed the evil force or her cult and decided to turn against the evil ones which is why the Brujo deadite claimed that she is a double-crosser.

I just hope there's a path the writers are taking and not just writing themselves into a corner.
 
More Observation's/Theory's for ep 10
Gonna cut this one down into section's for each character so let's dig in !

Ash
-Ash seem's to be a lot more serious and focused coming into this episode, i hope his attitude and overall jokes are more simmered down for this one.

-Him and kelly will probably be the only one's capable enough to stop ruby, so it will be interesting to see how these two will work together as a team.

-A deal is going to be made in this episode between ash and ruby, i'm wondering if this won't have something to do with getting pablo back and ash sacrificing himself for him 
 
Pablo
-Ruby seems to be using pablo for her own need's and will be summoning demon's from the book through him which would explain were the demon kid come's from, but how is entirely up to speculation but my best guess is probably him vomiting him out of his mouth.

-Pablo seem's to be fighting hard against the entity controlling him and is aware of what's happening around him, it's going to be tough to watch the internal struggle with him play out through this episode. 

-Him and kelly from the look's of it will be having a huge fight scene together and maybe lead to pablo breaking himself free from the face that binds him to ruby.

Kelly
-Kelly look's like shes going to be going through hell and back with ash in this episode to stop ruby, judging from some of the image's of her and footage shown, she's going to be having some type of showdown with someone outside the cabin. My money is on her mother OR ruby 

-It looks like were finally going to see her use that axe we've been seeing her with in the promotional photo's, knowing how quick she is with weapons, that axe may become her signature weapon

-I have a very strong feeling pablo and kelly will be getting together at the end of this finale....that is if one them doesn't die before we see that actually happen.

Ruby
-Ruby is defiantly going to be playing the puppet-master for probably most of this episode, but it looks like ash and her will be having a climatic battle from few glances we see in the trailer of this fight.

-Like i said before, she's basically using pablo to her advantage as a assistant/summoner, think of it like a more twisted version of Frankenstein/Igor relationship 
 
Alrighty - I'll make this nice and short since, as usual, I'm late to the party and most of my thoughts have already been spoken by others.

- Dug the episode in general, but admit that it might just be due to more cabin action.
- Laughed at the "two of us" scene. Not very "Evil Dead," but I'm also currently on board "entertaining is all we'll get at this point, so let's hope for more" train.
- I liked Amanda's deadite stuff, but since it was comical, there was no emotional impact, and so I still don't know why she's in the show. Could have been one of the hikers and not made a lick of difference.
- Hikers: would have preferred their deaths to be off-screen: have Heather appear out of the woods Scott-style all cut up and already hurt, and move forward from there. Gives more impact to deadite Amanda showing up with them as puppets, and we get more action in-cabin rather than out in the overly-bright woods.
- Speaking of: at no point does it really feel like nighttime to me on this show. Wish we had an establishing shot or two of the outside of the cabin with some fog puffed in from off-screen.
- Ruby's entrance was ridiculous and unnecessary. Want to show that she's Super-Ruby? Just have her hit the Deadite and send it flying.
- Writing still needs a lot of work - especially since there are season plot holes big enough for Rotten Apple Head to fit through at this point.
- Evil Ash - gone too soon, and by stupid means. Should have been the "big bad" for season 2.
- Talking book of the dead - Eh. Find a way to SHOW me that it was actually Evil Ash talking to Ash (transferred via blood since it was an evil clone) rather than the book talking, and maybe. But the whole "you don't belong in the Avengers, Hawkeye! You're not special!" conversation was stupid as hell.
- Post-show BTS video: still can't stand the show-runner. "At a certain point you're just like... okay..." NO. This should NOT be the attitude of the person running the show. Shame. Shame. Shame. *ding-ding*

Final word: looking forward to the finale, for better or worse. I think we're finally in a place where I can say "okay, I guess this works" as a fan - but that's only if I sort of ignore the rest of the season beyond the first two episodes.

And I still think there may be a way to go back and re-cut the whole season into maybe a 3-hour thing that works MUCH better. Just don't know if I'm willing to take that on or not.
 
I'm a bit late, having just seen the episode.

I enjoyed it.

Deadite Amanda was pretty scary. Have you notice beautiful people make really ugly deadites? Okay deadites are pretty ugly anyway, but seeing a grim monstrous version of a pretty face is somehow more disturbing.

The 'puppet show' was both grim, disturbing and rather funny.

I have mixed feelings concerning how quickly Evil Ash got killed off. In some ways, it seems he was underused. On the other hand, we've had two evil ashes before. (I.e. the monstrous possessed version of our Ash from ED2 and the copy from AoD). And maybe the fact that people expect him to hang around is reason enough to kill him off quickly to provide a surprise.

Ruby continues to be very interesting.

I wondered if maybe she was possessed by that shadowy figure after being pulled into the fire. I'm not convinced that she was destroyed/consumed, then regenerated because of the explosion, no matter how counterintuitive that may seem. I.e someone getting dragged into a fire should not cause an explosion, which leads me to think it was something else that either protected her or was the result of a Dark One cossing planes.

Curiouslly, the brujo deadite accuses her of treacher before she is pulled into the fire, suggesting to me that did a pact or was possessed before then. But if she is a dark one, or possessed by such, who was that second shadow moving around. A second incorporeal dark one tracking her, maybe?

I love the mystery she provides.

The only negative thing I see from this episode is their reaction to Amanda's death. Sure, they don't know her that well, but I felt they seemed to move on a bit too quickly to the banter and humour.
 
Top Bottom