Ash vs Evil Dead S03E01: Family Discussion [SPOILERS]

The episode overall was disappointing. I found the story of evil coming back quite rushed, and a lot of the jokes fell flat/were cringe-worthy.
Ash has displayed more emotion so far, but he still has the same bad jokes and is still an overblown version of his character.
I do think the father/daughter relationship will add an interesting dynamic to the show.

Also, a bit off topic, nice to see a Titus Alone fan on these forums (muzzlehatch)
 
It's a bit early to tell this Ash and Cie are better this season than the previous ones. I did not see a single difference. In fact. I felt the dialogue & story a bit rushed. I was like " Hey! we need to set up the basic story of S3 in 27minutes! Bring immidately all the new characters right now!". I don't know, I'm tired of dick , drugs and sperm jokes. I just felt Ash was there 2 second when Brandy's mother died.

I think Craig was a bad showrunner, and the new one won't be better. If you compare both first episodes of all seasons, this one is the weakest one. I don't think we have a better deal here.

My biggest complaint with the show from the start has been the run times as the episodes will always feel a bit rushed when you only get 20+ minutes for each of them with no extended episodes. Yes, Candy's death was quick and messy/bloody... but I'd rather see it end quickly instead of having her character go the way of Linda B. who is working on a bunch of different shows according to IMDB. Now they can focus on Brandy and Ash's relationship as father and daughter which will be more compelling.

I also think it is unfair to say the new showrunner Mark Verheiden won't make a difference when we are only 1 episode into his tenure just as it would be a tad bit unfair to put the season 2 and 3 openers up against what Sam did with the series premier.
 
Last edited:
you guys are so hung up on ash being different, you don't realize that the ash you get is the product of his environment and circumstances. in THIS ash, all the evil is gone, all problems are solved, and he has his own small business, and even some friends, with a future to look forward to that doesn't involve tons of blood and legions of demons on a daily basis. his life has completely changed, and what we see as the silly homer simpson-esque cartoon character is really just a person who lived with a huge burden for decades reacting to that burden being lifted and his life completely changed for the better. first we had the tormented, solitary ash, living on the move, no roots and no friends, whose duty was to save the world and he had to see his friends die, or even to kill them himself. now he's won the lottery: his mission is successfully completed and he has friends and people who like him. of course he's going to act different, so cut him some slack.
 
Last edited:
@Joem1k "- AoD line reference, you'll know it when you hear it" blow. right? I thought that was a nice touch. I like when they put little things like that in that only people who really know every word of AoD would get. little easter eggs. :)
 
overall, I enjoyed the episode, but mostly because it was like visiting old friends...it all seemed comfortable and familiar. but therein lies what's wrong with it, too: it's repetitive. there's an evil book that allows demons to come into this world and ash and his friends have to kill them. been there, done that. come on, mix it up, change it up, let the story evolve. there's really almost nothing in this episode that would keep it from fitting in pretty much anywhere in either season 1 or season 2. come on, writers, don't be lazy, don't just do the same thing. develop the story, develop the plot. the daughter was added in, okay, but she could disappear ala black linda for all we know. and the new guy? uh...yeah...that feels really contrived and artificially tacked on. Im not believing it. Pablo and Kelly getting sucked into ash's world seemed organic and believable, but all of a sudden prince charming shows up out of nowhere and is immediately welcomed into the clubhouse? uh-uh, I call "bullshit."
 
you guys are so hung up on ash being different, you don't realize that the ash you get is the product of his environment and circumstances. in THIS ash, all the evil is gone, all problems are solved, and he has his own small business, and even some friends, with a future to look forward to that doesn't involve tons of blood and legions of demons on a daily basis. his life has completely changed, and what we see as the silly homer simpson-esque cartoon character is really just a person who lived with a huge burden for decades reacting to that burden being lifted and his life completely changed for the better. first we had the tormented, solitary ash, living on the move, no roots and no friends, whose duty was to save the world and he had to see his friends die, or even to kill them himself. now he's won the lottery: his mission is successfully completed and he has friends and people who like him. of course he's going to act different, so cut him some slack.

I think most of us here just see a big difference between a traumatized but finally freed everyman and a moronic cartoon character.
 
you guys are so hung up on ash being different, you don't realize that the ash you get is the product of his environment and circumstances. in THIS ash, all the evil is gone, all problems are solved, and he has his own small business, and even some friends, with a future to look forward to that doesn't involve tons of blood and legions of demons on a daily basis. his life has completely changed, and what we see as the silly homer simpson-esque cartoon character is really just a person who lived with a huge burden for decades reacting to that burden being lifted and his life completely changed for the better. first we had the tormented, solitary ash, living on the move, no roots and no friends, whose duty was to save the world and he had to see his friends die, or even to kill them himself. now he's won the lottery: his mission is successfully completed and he has friends and people who like him. of course he's going to act different, so cut him some slack.

We realize and understand everything just fine. The problem isn't that the character has changed over time, but that the changes don't fall in line with what came before and that the character has been turned into a one dimensional caricature. Ash's characterization has been a problem to a lot of us ever since the first season and I honestly don't see much difference in his portrayal now from who he was in season 1, before he had "won" (as you put it). He's been this stupid, unlikable and one note character ever since the very first episode and so far it only got worse. As a matter of fact, the show has been actively retconning or ignoring a lot of his history and previous development in order to say he's always been this way, which makes the character even more one dimensional and even more of a caricature. But like I said before, there is a hint of something different here in his interactions with Brandy that I hope we'll see more of.

it all seemed comfortable and familiar. but therein lies what's wrong with it, too: it's repetitive. there's an evil book that allows demons to come into this world and ash and his friends have to kill them. been there, done that. come on, mix it up, change it up, let the story evolve. there's really almost nothing in this episode that would keep it from fitting in pretty much anywhere in either season 1 or season 2. come on, writers, don't be lazy, don't just do the same thing. develop the story, develop the plot. the daughter was added in, okay, but she could disappear ala black linda for all we know. and the new guy? uh...yeah...that feels really contrived and artificially tacked on. Im not believing it. Pablo and Kelly getting sucked into ash's world seemed organic and believable, but all of a sudden prince charming shows up out of nowhere and is immediately welcomed into the clubhouse? uh-uh, I call "bullshit."

On that, we can agree. This premiere was almost a remake of season 2's beginning. Ash is all happy and enjoying life, evil comes back, the book is the McGuffin, Ruby has problems with her demon spawn, an old fling of Ash shows up, the old fling has a teenage daughter... This season is obviously going to go different places, but it starts off from the exact same place as last season.
 
Last edited:
Boy did that 30 mins just fly by!

Ok, not as bad as I was expecting. Not going to get too granular with my general gripes as we're three seasons in now and certain things have to be accepted.

Brandy was a strong point, so naturally I'm worried they'll kill her off too soon. Hope they keep Arielle around if we go into Season 4 or a feature film. They need her grounded performance to balance out some of the goofier moments.

I think revealing Brandy to Ash, and killing Candace/Candy could've waited until at least Episode 2. A lot of that was rushed, and so were the character's reactions. I dunno.

Enough with the demon pregnancies already. Been there, done that.

Not feeling Motorcycle Bruh so far, and probably too early to make a judgement on that just yet.

Finally, was that a body double in the Ash/Candy flashback scene, or is Bruce getting jacked?!? :eek:
 
come on, writers, don't be lazy, don't just do the same thing. develop the story, develop the plot. the daughter was added in, okay, but she could disappear ala black linda for all we know.

We still have a whole season to go through, let's wait and see. and black linda, really ?

Brandy has been shown in the last episode due to the photo's released on the farfaraway site. Her character is in it for the long haul plus she's been a big part of the promotional tour and talked about the most in the pr tour. She's not as you said "a black linda"
 
Last edited:
We still have a whole season to go through, let's wait and see. and black linda, really ?

Brandy has been shown in the last episode due to the photo's released on the farfaraway site. Her character is in it for the long haul plus she's been a big part of the promotional tour and talked about the most in the pr tour. She's not as you said "a black linda"

so sensitive. one linda was white, and one was black. you can make a federal case of that if you want, but that's on you. and thanks for the spoiler.

just how pc are we required to be? they make racist comments on aved all the time (Mexican/Honduran/etc), but I say "black linda" and suddenly I'M the bad guy? grow up. I didn't say anything derogatory.
 
Last edited:
Pablo and Kelly getting sucked into ash's world seemed organic and believable, but all of a sudden prince charming shows up out of nowhere and is immediately welcomed into the clubhouse? uh-uh, I call "bullshit."

At the end Ash said Kelly, Pablo, and the other guy before Pablo said the Ghostbeaters are back. I think the gang will be cautious when it comes to dealing with Dalton until they get to know what he really which is something I'm surprised they didn't go into who he was before introducing the character. I mean how did Kelly meet him, and did she just trust his story of being a member of the Knights of Sumeria from the start?!? I guess that will be a better topic if, or when we get to the subject in future episodes.


Finally, was that a body double in the Ash/Candy flashback scene, or is Bruce getting jacked?!?


Bruce is in really good shape, and I'm have no doubt that was all him in that scene.

View attachment 81
 
At the end Ash said Kelly, Pablo, and the other guy before Pablo said the Ghostbeaters are back. I think the gang will be cautious when it comes to dealing with Dalton until they get to know what he really which is something I'm surprised they didn't go into who he was before introducing the character. I mean how did Kelly meet him, and did she just trust his story of being a member of the Knights of Sumeria from the start?!? I guess that will be a better topic if, or when we get to the subject in future episodes.





Bruce is in really good shape, and I'm have no doubt that was all him in that scene.

View attachment 81
trust! exactly! after all they've been thru, youd think theyd be more careful about who they trust than to just take someone's word that they want to help out. new people need to be thoroughly vetted.
 
trust! exactly! after all they've been thru, youd think theyd be more careful about who they trust than to just take someone's word that they want to help out. new people need to be thoroughly vetted.

We still have a whole season to go, this was just the set-up will still have 9 more episodes to go, so let's see what happens.
 
My biggest complaint with the show from the start has been the run times as the episodes will always feel a bit rushed when you only get 20+ minutes for each of them with no extended episodes. Yes, Candy's death was quick and messy/bloody... but I'd rather see it end quickly instead of having her character go the way of Linda B. who is working on a bunch of different shows according to IMDB. Now they can focus on Brandy and Ash's relationship as father and daughter which will be more compelling.

I also think it is unfair to say the new showrunner Mark Verheiden won't make a difference when we are only 1 episode into his tenure just as it would be a tad bit unfair to put the season 2 and 3 openers up against what Sam did with the series premier.

I agree, runtime of the show is a big problem since day 1.

When I was talking about Candy's death. I was speaking of Ash being more human toward Brandy. I also agree, I rather see it end quickly instead of bringing another girlfriend story into the plot. It was a good thing and a good kill. I must admit.

Unfortunately Mark Verheiden didn't try to fix a single thing from the disastrous season 2 ending. This episode was more of the same. Maybe we will see the difference later, but I personally don't believe it.
 
Top Bottom