Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

Speaking of connections, I find it quite odd that people on the Internet, especially on Reddit, are saying that Evil Dead (2013) is the first movie in the modern trilogy. The hot takes on the evildead subreddit are wild.
I mean… they are a trilogy in the sense that they are three movies in a row from the same franchise, but that's about it.
 
Speaking of connections, I find it quite odd that people on the Internet, especially on Reddit, are saying that Evil Dead (2013) is the first movie in the modern trilogy. The hot takes on the evildead subreddit are wild.

I've also been browsing there and Facebook to get a feel for how the "average" fans (outside of us diehards on an Evil Dead forum) have received the movie. It seems a lot of them were introduced to the franchise at a young age through the 2013 movie, and now they hold it up on a pedestal as THE Evil Dead movie. Many of the rankings are definitely wild.
 
I've also been browsing there and Facebook to get a feel for how the "average" fans (outside of us diehards on an Evil Dead forum) have received the movie. It seems a lot of them were introduced to the franchise at a young age through the 2013 movie, and now they hold it up on a pedestal as THE Evil Dead movie. Many of the rankings are definitely wild.
I wanted to say that it's like the revisionist history around the Star Wars prequels, but the ED remake really doesn't deserve to be compared to those.
 
I wanted to say that it's like the revisionist history around the Star Wars prequels, but the ED remake really doesn't deserve to be compared to those.

That might be harsh, but I get it. I haven't seen Burn yet (going tomorrow), but my enthusiasm has waned a bit and I'll be going in with tempered expectations. I wonder what that old Raimi fella is up to these days. Maybe we could get him to swoop in and direct a swan-song effort to right the franchise
 
That might be harsh, but I get it. I haven't seen Burn yet (going tomorrow), but my enthusiasm has waned a bit and I'll be going in with tempered expectations. I wonder what that old Raimi fella is up to these days. Maybe we could get him to swoop in and direct a swan-song effort to right the franchise
Since he's the one actually co-steering this current wave of movies (along with Rob Tapert), I wouldn't count on it.
 
Now... see, I like connections and references and stuff like that, I just prefer them thought-out and logical, not arbitrary or overly revisionist. Also most of the time an Easter egg is just an Easter egg.

If these new movies were meant to be a series, cool, but they should have been built thay way (they were not). And an anthology structure is great but then rules need to be consistent (they are not).

Ag, I'm just yelling at clouds at this point. End of the day, tide rises all boats! I'm just personally tired of excessive grim, but I can always just go watch AoD and eat plain chips and be happy.
 
Did we ever get an art like that with Mia? I know the main poster for 2013 is basically that, only without the hand coming from the ground, but I think that a full homage would make perfect sense with that one, mostly since Evil Mia literally comes out of the ground at the end of the movie.
Not art, but an actual photograph:
 
Cool official Evil Dead Burn Book of The Dead display in Indonesia
Seriously... why do International markets get all the cool promo stuff?

See, this is cool. Where the heck is the effort, WB?!
 
So I stumbled upon a Facebook post (don't judge me, it was in a group about making Evil Dead props that's actually kinda neat) where somebody had a theory that the reason why we hear Bruce's voice in Rise and see his picture in Burn is that those are actually Ash's ancestors. That Sheila had Ash's child and his lineage continued throughout history, fighting Evil and forming the Circle of Wisemen.

And I'm really tired of the fact that everything needs to be so goddamn connected. That we just can't have fun easter eggs anymore. I was really rooting for the anthology approach for the new movies and the Burn's eventual connection to Rise really bummed me out, to the point that I didn't even stay for the post credit scene since I knew what it's going to be.

As badly as I want more
Sheila in the mainstream continuity,
there's this need to connect AvED into the modern continuity and it'll never work.
 
I can't be "happy" that this movie, with Sam/Rob's involvement (and Bruce's limited role after walking away), is getting disappointing numbers . . But I have to admit it feels vindicating. I deeply resent being told the franchise I love needed to be re-defined for a different audience. Well, where's that audience?

I hope this makes Sam reconsider the edgelord approach and he brings back "EVIL DEAD". Take a cue from Obsession. That movie was horrifying at times and hilarious at times. That kind of vibe still works and Evil Dead did it best.

ENOUGH OF 2013.

In spite of what they've tried to do to fully divorce the franchise from its better-known humor/horror elements, the people's choice is still Rise at the moment - and Rise was arguably the funniest of the modern trilogy so far.

I'm fascinated by the movie doing mediocrely, I really didn't expect it.
 
A guy who worked on some official promotional merch shared some images of some stuff that was rejected:

Then, a... certain individual... has posted a behind the scenes snippet of getting into makeup...
 
Saw the movie tonight. Not sure what to make of it yet. Full disclosure: I went to dinner right by the theater before the movie and had a few drinks. I'm certain that made me have more fun, but I had a good time. Not a perfect movie, of course, but I go into these new movies with my brain turned off and expecting nothing close to the original trilogy. Maybe I just look for the positives because it's Evil Dead? No spoilers below

I have to hand it to Sebastien for trying some new stuff, even if it didn't all work. There were some really cool scenes with good camera work that reminded me a lot of the old movies, and the ending reminded me of one of the maps in Evil Dead: The Game. His Deadites are definitely different, but it kind of makes sense given how they came about? However, none of them really stuck out to me except for one. It was definitely a brutal film, although I didn't find it any more gruesome or extreme than anything else in the franchise. I also found some of the scenes rather hilarious in an understated way, similar to the humor in Rise.

That being said, some of the kills were recycled and stale, and I didn't care all that much for Alice. Her being French gave her a certain sort of flair, but these final girls get less memorable with each film. Mia is still the one, if they were to tie it all together, that I'd like to see brought back for another movie. The color of the movie also made it feel like one long scene that was difficult to break into individual sections. Thinking back now, it's not easy to remember what happened where.

It was worth a watch. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing new, but there are definitely way worse entries in nearly every other major horror franchise. As a fan of many of those franchises, I can appreciate that the worst Evil Dead movie is much better than the worst F13, Halloween, or TCM movie. It also has me intrigued and excited about Wrath, more than anything. I could see Burn being the sort of black sheep entry in the franchise (that will still have its fans), while Wrath is the payoff they've been building toward since 2013 or Rise. It's clear that Raimi/Tapert/Campbell have something in mind, whatever that is. Whatever the case, Wrath has my attention, and I would be thrilled if they can somehow hit a homerun with that one.

tl;dr: Burn had some really cool aspects and some not so cool aspects, tried some new stuff to mixed results.

My ranking is as follows:

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
The Evil Dead
AvED
Evil Dead 2013
Evil Dead Burn
Evil Dead Rise
 
Top Bottom