Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

Even to insinuate that physicality is an issue is a bad move by Fede, but they did make a red carpet appearance together in 2024... and Jane let him off easier than I would have. Maybe she felt sorry for him being typecast to the point he has been tied to every prequel, sequel and/or horror franchise from Alien to TCM for Netflix with varying degrees of success.
It's is a good point. Fede has sort of become the Go-To Guy for prequels/sequels. I finally got my hands on a copy of 'Evil Dead 2013 : The Extended Cut' on Blu-ray. Seems to be a Scandinavian Import but again , Blew me away once again. It is a shame we will never know just exactly what Fate had Instore for Mia . She was really put through Alot. And the best performance of a Deadite Ever .
 
Here is my take after watching: I didn't care for dementia being the brunt of every joke but maybe that is because it has affected my family personally. I had no empathy for Alice or the rest of the family for that matter. It felt very generic and disrespected the lore.
I had that feeling towards 'Rise'. I almost felt guilty for not Enjoying it as much as I anticipated. Since watched it on Netflix and felt even more so Empty.
'Burn' needed to stand on its own feet . That teaser of Alice crawling through carnage had me pretty excited. Unfortunately as more and more information came out, I began to see where it was heading.
 
I Said I would attend another showing this evening with friends . I haven't spoilt it for them. I have a cinema pass so I dont mind seeing it again if I have to . Plus im going with 3 hardcore evil dead fans (one my sister ) and im actually interested to see what there take is of it.
I was starting to wonder if it was my high expectations that ruined the experience for me. But I really did not enjoy it at all.
I never thought id hear Hip-Hop in a evil dead movie or a see a night club. Speaking of music, the end credit score was very out of place .
 
Not sure what to say , so soon and yet after watching, feels appropriate. It had more of a " streaming " feeling to it than 'Rise' did.
Rise was available to stream 17 days after it was in theaters, and that was mostly do to changes made for post pandemic theatrical releases.

It's is a good point. Fede has sort of become the Go-To Guy for prequels/sequels. I finally got my hands on a copy of 'Evil Dead 2013 : The Extended Cut' on Blu-ray. Seems to be a Scandinavian Import but again , Blew me away once again. It is a shame we will never know just exactly what Fate had Instore for Mia . She was really put through Alot. And the best performance of a Deadite Ever .
Really not good when your involvement sends a movie into development hell like what happened with the sequel to Labyrinth that Fede was tied to, and was absolutely the wrong director/writer for it... but when he started blaming fans for "expecting the same thing again" after claiming he walked away it was the start of his downward spiral of fighting with them about everything including how what you saw in theaters was his Evil Dead 2013. Not the extended ending that was better and added a little over a minute to it. All very strange coming from Fede.
 
Rise was available to stream 17 days after it was in theaters, and that was mostly do to changes made for post pandemic theatrical releases.


Really not good when your involvement sends a movie into development hell like what happened the the sequel to Labyrinth that Fede was tied to, and was absolutely the wrong director/writer for it... but when he started blaming fans for "expecting the same thing again" after claiming he walked away it was the start of his downward spiral of fighting with them about everything including how what you saw in theaters was his Evil Dead 2013. Not the extended ending that was better and added a little over a minute to it. All very strange coming from Fede.
Wait, the guy who made Alien Romulus was blaming the fans that they want the same things again?
 
Forbes is now saying August 11th for the VOD release date. I won't post the link, but you can Google it. I have a feeling it's another media site speculating for clicks. Thank goodness for ad-blockers. I guess WB won't officially announce the VOD date until end of July to avoid hurting their already low box office numbers.
 
Forbes is now saying August 11th for the VOD release date. I won't post the link, but you can Google it. I have a feeling it's another media site speculating for clicks. Thank goodness for ad-blockers. I guess WB won't officially announce the VOD date until end of July to avoid hurting their already low box office numbers.
Forbes is usually behind a paywall, but if Burn is available on the 11th that would give it a full 5 week window.
 
They've since made up back in 2024, so their falling out is old news.
Thank you, I never heard if they patched things up.
 
I love Jane Levy and this completely flew under my radar. What a bizarre thinking process from Fede…
I'm still not over him actually saying that. As if she didn't almost lose her hearing in the name of ED 2013.
 
Rise was available to stream 17 days after it was in theaters, and that was mostly do to changes made for post pandemic theatrical releases.


Really not good when your involvement sends a movie into development hell like what happened with the sequel to Labyrinth that Fede was tied to, and was absolutely the wrong director/writer for it... but when he started blaming fans for "expecting the same thing again" after claiming he walked away it was the start of his downward spiral of fighting with them about everything including how what you saw in theaters was his Evil Dead 2013. Not the extended ending that was better and added a little over a minute to it. All very strange coming from Fede.

I will give Fede credit for his Alien take-off, but aside from Don't Breathe (which he frankly ruined as a franchise with the second one), he's basically the Fanfic Movie Guy. He wrote that TCM movie, which you'd think would rid him of his sense of perceived arrogance and yet...
 
Here is my take after watching: I didn't care for dementia being the brunt of every joke but maybe that is because it has affected my family personally. I had no empathy for Alice or the rest of the family for that matter. It felt very generic and disrespected the lore.

I'm curious about the mixed comments I keep reading RE the lore. Oh well, I'll wait for my turn!
 
I will give Fede credit for his Alien take-off, but aside from Don't Breathe (which he frankly ruined as a franchise with the second one), he's basically the Fanfic Movie Guy. He wrote that TCM movie, which you'd think would rid him of his sense of perceived arrogance and yet...
Just read about Fede "passing the torch" as director of the next Alien movie he wrote after having issues with Ridley Scott, and to his credit every time he leaves a franchise he comes up with a more creative way to say it instead of they don't want me back.
 
So... we're one week removed from Evil Dead Burn hitting theaters, and the online reaction has been mostly the same neutral "It was alright" with a handful of "This is the worst Evil Dead" and some "This was the best Evil Dead" sprinkled in. Having watched the film a couple times since then, I've got a take of my own that I would like to throw out into the universe and see what others think:

I admire Evil Dead Burn for the elements or moments in which it stepped away from the usual Evil Dead formula. Let me throw out some examples:

I liked how Alice had enough of this family's bullshit and was ready to distance herself before the demons showed up (like wanting to sell the restaurant and go back home to Paris), and when things popped off, she was totally ready to kill them (even the pre-possessed Susan). Alice's connection to these people doesn't cause her to hesitate fighting them as such connections did with ED1 Ash, David, or Beth.

I liked how there wasn't a voice of reason to be there to stop the non-possessed from doing dumb things. I'm thinking specifically of the ED2 scene where Ash stops Annie from releasing Henrietta from the cellar, or when Kassie goes to unlock the door in Rise only to be saved by Danny and Beth... in Burn, there is no-one there to stop Polly from releasing Thya, or to stop Susan from being "seduced" by the promise of her family reuniting... the Deadites manage to take advantage of that situation and gain the upper hand in both of those instances.

I liked how there's no book. One of the things that I didn't like about Rise (in hindsight) was bringing in a cool new book for a whopping five minutes and doing nothing with it after that. In 2013 at least we saw they made an effort to destroy their book, but in Rise... nothing... presumably it's still sitting on Danny's desk in the apartment. I admire Burn completely circumventing Rise's "mistake" and making the new dagger the main MacGuffin, although my thoughts on the dagger it's impact on the wider mythology are entirely different... but I can still admire it for taking a risk.

My overall thought of it is still "OK", but in all this negative discourse (not so much here as it is elsewhere), I thought I would share how my own personal opinion has evolved since my initial viewing.
 
So... we're one week removed from Evil Dead Burn hitting theaters, and the online reaction has been mostly the same neutral "It was alright" with a handful of "This is the worst Evil Dead" and some "This was the best Evil Dead" sprinkled in. Having watched the film a couple times since then, I've got a take of my own that I would like to throw out into the universe and see what others think:

I admire Evil Dead Burn for the elements or moments in which it stepped away from the usual Evil Dead formula. Let me throw out some examples:

I liked how Alice had enough of this family's bullshit and was ready to distance herself before the demons showed up (like wanting to sell the restaurant and go back home to Paris), and when things popped off, she was totally ready to kill them (even the pre-possessed Susan). Alice's connection to these people doesn't cause her to hesitate fighting them as such connections did with ED1 Ash, David, or Beth.

I liked how there wasn't a voice of reason to be there to stop the non-possessed from doing dumb things. I'm thinking specifically of the ED2 scene where Ash stops Annie from releasing Henrietta from the cellar, or when Kassie goes to unlock the door in Rise only to be saved by Danny and Beth... in Burn, there is no-one there to stop Polly from releasing Thya, or to stop Susan from being "seduced" by the promise of her family reuniting... the Deadites manage to take advantage of that situation and gain the upper hand in both of those instances.

I liked how there's no book. One of the things that I didn't like about Rise (in hindsight) was bringing in a cool new book for a whopping five minutes and doing nothing with it after that. In 2013 at least we saw they made an effort to destroy their book, but in Rise... nothing... presumably it's still sitting on Danny's desk in the apartment. I admire Burn completely circumventing Rise's "mistake" and making the new dagger the main MacGuffin, although my thoughts on the dagger it's impact on the wider mythology are entirely different... but I can still admire it for taking a risk.

My overall thought of it is still "OK", but in all this negative discourse (not so much here as it is elsewhere), I thought I would share how my own personal opinion has evolved since my initial viewing.

This is all mostly how I felt about Burn, although I've only seen it once. Of the new movies, I think it's the most intriguing for trying different things, and while it wasn't a perfect or great film, it left me curious if nothing else. I think it will be a grower for many people, and they'll end up appreciating it more over time than right now. It's the only one of the new movies to try some new things, hit or miss (and don't get me wrong there were quite a few misses) but compared to ED 2013 and Rise, I respect the boldness. And it's really a "damned if you do..." situation, because some fans will be upset if they just keep making the same thing over and over, and others will be mad at them trying new stuff.
 
Just read about Fede "passing the torch" as director of the next Alien movie he wrote after having issues with Ridley Scott, and to his credit every time he leaves a franchise he comes up with a more creative way to say it instead of they don't want me back.

OK I want deets on that, I had no idea he fought with Ridley Scott but I'm not shocked after how stubborn and strong-handed he was on 2013.
 
So I finally saw Burn.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I dug it way more than I had anticipated. More so than Rise, probably. Especially considering that this one took several risks and strayed from the formula established by the previous two films. Not perfect and I still have some questions, but I'd be damned if I didn't say that a good number of scenes left me with a shit-eating grin.

The director certainly achieved his goal of making a nasty and mean film.
 
OK I want deets on that, I had no idea he fought with Ridley Scott but I'm not shocked after how stubborn and strong-handed he was on 2013.
Details are pretty scarce, but Fede from some sources was relying too much throwbacks like the botched head of Ian Holm for another character and trying to bring David from Prometheus back.

My overall thought of it is still "OK"

This is all mostly how I felt about Burn, although I've only seen it once. Of the new movies, I think it's the most intriguing for trying different things, and while it wasn't a perfect or great film, it left me curious if nothing else. I think it will be a grower for many people, and they'll end up appreciating it more over time than right now. It's the only one of the new movies to try some new things, hit or miss (and don't get me wrong there were quite a few misses) but compared to ED 2013 and Rise, I respect the boldness. And it's really a "damned if you do..." situation, because some fans will be upset if they just keep making the same thing over and over, and others will be mad at them trying new stuff.
I'm with you on the it's ok thing, and like I said above Burn did what it was supposed to do by making it so I can't wait to see how it fits in with Wrath... and the future of the franchise because I have a feeling they are aiming for a another movie after Rise, Burn, Wrath in 2030. Seeing how they do manage to do that could improve the overall standing.
 
Last edited:
Details are pretty scarce, but Fede from some sources was relying too much throwbacks like the botched head of Ian Holm for another character and trying to bring David from Prometheus back.
I'd actually expect that was a studio note. To me the film felt interesting within the first 20 minutes, when it was actually original and character driven (though a bit too similar to the setup of Don't Breath) and only after that it went on full memberberries. The end result felt more like a presentation to reassure the shareholders, rather than an actual movie. It was borrowing from all the other entries (even the bad ones) to let everyone know that the brand is in safe hands under Disney. Hell, they even ripped off the ending of Alien Resurrection, which… I kinda have to respect since it's so bonkers and weird in both interpretations.
 
Top Bottom